How am I supposed to drink 8 cups of water!

Options

Replies

• galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I drink water ALL day. I go through about 100 ozs each workday and a few more cups after that. It was hard at first and I had to pee every 20 minutes for the first 2 weeks, but I lost more weight that way. It helps curb my appetite and decide if I am hungry or just thirsty. just work your way up. If you drink one a day, shoot for two tomorrow, and a few days later, shoot for three, etc. It gets easier.
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    I dont think of it as 8 cups of water ... Rather I think of it as 64 oz ( 8 - 8 oz glasses) ... With that being said .. I have a 20 water bottle..and make it my goal to empty it 4 times (4 X 20 = 80 0z) between the time I wake up and go to bed .
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I just drink when I'm thirsty.
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    Another way to make it easier it go get some Mio ..gives the water some flavor
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Also remember, if you take any supplements, you will most likely have to increase that water intake some. A lot of supplements will need an upped water intake.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out (if no one has yet!) that sipping water will be better for you than gulping it. It'll be more refreshing that way. Gulping water will just send it straight through you.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Actually, this thread is very helpful. I've already had 2 servings of water just reading 2 pages of responses. Must be the pics. Maybe you could post the pics of hot chicks drinking (or, um, pouring water down their chests) water and it will be a reminder.
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have gotten used to drinking water...I carry my 24oz water bottle around all the time with me and I go through at least 4 of them per day....and that doesn't count the 2 usually when I'm at the gym.

Get it ready first thing, before you do anything...I usually have 1 bottle about done before I even leave for work in the morning!!!

It's just a good habit to get into...I try to get at least 100 oz per day...hopefully less once I lose some of this weight!!!
  • sarahnicole218
    Options
    I find that using a re-usable cup with a straw helps me get 8-10 cups of water per day:bigsmile: and the fact that water is mostly the only beverage of choice for me.

agree! i think the straw is key...goes down alot quicker!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I did not read 6 pages of responses, so I'm sure this has already been said, but to add my two cents.... some people drink water naturally and like it, other people (like me) have to make it an active effort to do it.

I start the day off by drinking a bottle (4 glasses worth) of lemon water. (The lemon is not just for taste, it actually balances your pH levels in the body and can boost mood). I know that if I can manage that first bottle, then I'm more likely to have success the rest of the day. Your body will start to want the water and crave it. Again, my experience.

I unfortunately still drink diet soda. It's a vice of mine and I love the caffeine. The rule is as I'm drinking the soda, I have to consume on equal number of ounces of water right then.

So anyway, my experience is that I may not want to drink the water, but I make myself anyway, knowing that it affects my mood, affects my appearance, my overall health, keeps my immune system healthier, gives me energy, cleanses toxins from the body, aids in weight loss, etc, etc, etc. It's too important not to do!
  • JuliesJourney
    JuliesJourney Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't drink nearly enough water yet either, working on it though. I would caution women at least to be cautious about over drinking water. I had a friend who was never without her large water bottle. It went everywhere with her because she had heard drinking water was healthy for you. When she was 50 began having problems with leaking during the day if you know what I mean. She put up with it for many months then finally went to a urologist. He told her that every time he reads the recommendation to drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water per day he cringes because in some people it can cause weakening in the bladder. She had to have a surgical procedure and no longer goes everywhere with a water bottle.

Along the same vein, my urologist said that every time he sees someone eating a huge spinach salad he thinks - kidney stones. So don't overdo the spinach either as in don't eat it every day. Kidney stones = no fun.
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    yes i drink way way more omfg .. lol i drink two bottled waters before and aftr each meal
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I don't drink nearly enough water yet either, working on it though. I would caution women at least to be cautious about over drinking water. I had a friend who was never without her large water bottle. It went everywhere with her because she had heard drinking water was healthy for you. When she was 50 began having problems with leaking during the day if you know what I mean. She put up with it for many months then finally went to a urologist. He told her that every time he reads the recommendation to drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water per day he cringes because in some people it can cause weakening in the bladder. She had to have a surgical procedure and no longer goes everywhere with a water bottle.

Along the same vein, my urologist said that every time he sees someone eating a huge spinach salad he thinks - kidney stones. So don't overdo the spinach either as in don't eat it every day. Kidney stones = no fun.

never heard such a thing i have hear to much water no fgood but really that is the biggest bs drinking water can not weaken your bladder sorry
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Also Instead of soda or juice with meals reach for the water instead you'll b surprised how fast it goes
  • JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Mfp recommends 8 CUPS of water per day not 8 glasses. Usually the glasses I drink out of would hold 2 cups. Keep that in mind. Use a measuring cup if you have to. Its really not so bad. Plus it will have great benefits to your body, your weight loss, and your skin. I love water! Drink up.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If I only drank 8 glasses of water per day I would be one dehydrated mofo.

I drink 20+ and don't seem to find it difficult
  • nicolemariedwyer
    nicolemariedwyer Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had problems getting my water in to, i drink it with a straw now and it goes down fast, crystal light is good too, but i try not to drink it and limit artificial sugars.
  • Tjkramer95
    Options
    I've found the easiest way to drink water is in a cup. I'll then tip that cup so that the water pours into my mouth and then I swallow the water. :)

All kidding aside, definitely make it a habit. It really does become easy after a few weeks. Staying hydrated is essential for all your internal systems to function properly, for your metabolism to function properly and studies have actually shown that staying properly hydrated helps keep you more alert during the day than caffeine.

And caffeinated drinks dehydrate you, so be sure to drink water after drinking caffeine.
  • Loverj79
    Loverj79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    how i get it in is i have a bottle that i keep filled next to me all day. its in my face so i have to remember. and i have a five year old and if i want her drinking water i have to.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Drink_Your_Water_b_w_.gif