please tell me i'm not the only one.

Options

Replies

• jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I'll really get this thing going now....................Id never live anywhere that would not allow me to own a weapon to defend myself and my family. Im serious about that and I know they wouldnt have me either because of that. But I like Canadians anyway! They are good people and our friends.

Oh, and you can own a gun...or several, FYI. My dad has oodles of them. You have to register them, is all.

Didn't Harper just scrap the gun registry? So he wouldn't even have to do that...

I dont want to argue but I know several Canadians and have been there. You positively cannot CARRY a gun on your person anywhere in Canada whether you are a citizen or a visitor. The government does not allow it. We have some states here that do not allow it but most states do. I personally feel that it is your individual right to carry a weapon for protection. I know there are many that do not agree with me. Thats okay. i carry where it is legal just in case.

So, when you say CARRY do you mean only for the purposes of personal protection? Just wondering, because I do know lots of people who own guns, and they do transport them, like when they're going hunting or to gun clubs. Not much point in owning a gun if you're never allowed to take it anywhere whatsoever.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I live in the US and I love my country. As tempting as it is to just "jump ship", this country is going to need people who care about it to help rebuild it.
  • onefourone
    Options
    WOW is all I can really say about this thread.
    I spend 12 years of my life defending this country (USA). I love it and the people in it. From the skinny to the fat from the poor to the rich and from the stupid to the genius. We are not perfect and we will never be perfect. As far as I know only one person came close to perfect and he was nailed to a cross. You all have your own thoughts and your own feelings on everything. Every country has its good points and its bad points. Bottom line is if you don't like it and want to leave then do so there is nothing saying you have to stay. You may find what suits you somewhere else. Why don't we all try a little more tolerance of other peoples views and thoughts. If we practised a little more tolerance of other peoples views and thoughts then maybe people like me could spend more time in the country they love instead of being out of it defending it.
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    I'll really get this thing going now....................Id never live anywhere that would not allow me to own a weapon to defend myself and my family. Im serious about that and I know they wouldnt have me either because of that. But I like Canadians anyway! They are good people and our friends.

Oh, and you can own a gun...or several, FYI. My dad has oodles of them. You have to register them, is all.

Didn't Harper just scrap the gun registry? So he wouldn't even have to do that...

I dont want to argue but I know several Canadians and have been there. You positively cannot CARRY a gun on your person anywhere in Canada whether you are a citizen or a visitor. The government does not allow it. We have some states here that do not allow it but most states do. I personally feel that it is your individual right to carry a weapon for protection. I know there are many that do not agree with me. Thats okay. i carry where it is legal just in case.

I would personally feel way less safe if I knew that every person around me could be carrying a gun. And I have never felt that having a gun with me would make any situation better.
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I spend 12 years of my life defending this country (USA). I love it and the people in it. From the skinny to the fat from the poor to the rich and from the stupid to the genius. We are not perfect and we will never be perfect. As far as I know only one person came close to perfect and he was nailed to a cross. You all have your own thoughts and your own feelings on everything. Every country has its good points and its bad points. Bottom line is if you don't like it and want to leave then do so there is nothing saying you have to stay. You may find what suits you somewhere else. Why don't we all try a little more tolerance of other peoples views and thoughts. If we practised a little more tolerance of other peoples views and thoughts then maybe people like me could spend more time in the country they love instead of being out of it defending it.

thank you. i don't mean to insult the actual country - just the government. and i thank you for serving and protecting our country and freedoms. and i agree that if people could be more tolerable instead of being so cross there could be so much progress not only in foreign affairs but in our own country.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all on making this the thread which has made me the angriest of any thread I've ever read on MFP.

I'm not going to pretend I'm a political and socio-economic expert like some of the people here who have posted seem to be. I'm just going to say that I am more than greatly disturbed about the following points that various different people made.

1 - "America is the best country in the WORLD!!!!" In my opinion (we can still have our own opinions, right?) if you have only lived in the US then you have no basis for comparison. The world does not consist of the elitist United States of America and a bunch of 2nd rate other places. Time to wake up and admit that maybe there are some (or many) things that are done here that could be improved upon or changed.

2 - "Just move out of the country then" - Really??? I mean, I understand if people are unhappy there is always that option, but since the majority of the country is in financial ruin, a lot of us don't have the bank accounts necessary for it. Also, what is the point of moving to another country without first finding employment? It's not as simple as hopping on a plane and flying to another place to live happily ever after.

3 - "Canada's Health Care Sucks. And it's cold" - I'm sorry, but I have to throw down here. I'm from the USA and I've never lived anywhere else, but a lot of my family lives in Canada. They are citizens, and, of course, receive the healthcare provided by Canada. They have no complaints about the system. MANY people here in the US that I know do not have jobs that provide healthcare. If you have $500 (or whatever the cost) for prescription medications, and doctor bills, and etc, that's great for you. Most people don't. Isn't it a little ridiculous to expect people without health care to pay for something like treating CANCER??? You don't have to agree that anything that's been proposed so far in the US is perfect, but to me, it's a problem. Healthcare is a basic human right, which is being denied to some people here because of cost.

4 - For those of you that keep saying we need to "go out and vote" and "make a change" all I can really do is laugh. I'm sorry that you still believe that voting does anything in this country. I really am. I don't hate the United States but I think it's more than obvious that our political system is corrupt. Politicians have one agenda, and that's making money. They are given information for insider trading on a regular basis and they can't be arrested for it. They did a story on this on 60 Minutes, which you can google if you'd like. So, no, I don't believe that if I go and peacefully protest in DC and vote for what I believe in that it would actually make a difference. I'm a registered voter, and I vote in every election, but again I really have little faith that it matters much anyway.

Finally, what in the hell is with all the disrespect and insults being thrown around??? If you don't agree with what someone has to say, that's fine, but it's hardly cause for making a nasty comment. Make your point and move on. When your response to someones statement is "well you're stupid" - it actually makes you sound less intelligent, and less credible.

That's my rant for today. & Again, thank you people of the internet for turning (what seemed like) a light-hearted post by someone who is just frustrated with things in the US, into a free-for-all where everyone thinks they're right. If you're not going to listen to anyone else's views on an issue, then go give your opinions to a brick wall because the brick wall will give you the answer of silence you're obviously looking for.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I live in the US and I love my country. As tempting as it is to just "jump ship", this country is going to need people who care about it to help rebuild it.

THIS. As much as I hate some of the stuff that goes on here, it's MY country, and I'm going to stick around until they toss me out or I have to flee to save my life.
  • spookiewon
    spookiewon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i really want to move out of the country before the government takes away all of my rights completely. with all of the new laws being passed to censor people's opinions in the media, increasing the taxes, and rick perry trying to run for president, i want to get out asap. people think i'm joking but i just have this feeling that things are going to take a turn for the worse very shortly. anybody else in america feeling this way right now?

Oh, yeah. Have you seen or read any of what Naomi Wolfe has written about the steps to closing an open society? Because we are probably too far down that road now to turn back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjALf12PAWc
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options

You are awesome! I love this post and the great points it makes. It must be really frustrating to hear so many people ready to abandon our great county just because things aren't going great right now.

I, for one, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifices! You're wonderful! Don't think that everyone shares the same thoughts and point of view of some of the people who've posted here. This country, even with it's cracks and faults, is still a great country. I love it and would never abandon it.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Ron Paul - 2012
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If everyone who sees a problem with the way the country is going just moved away, there's not much chance of changing it, is there?

Keep doing what you're doing: reading, voting, volunteering, exercising your first amendment right to voice what you do and do not like about how things are being run (a right a lot of people in other countries don't have).

I read today that United States citizens lead the world in private charitable donations. I'm sure the tax break has a lot to do with it, but there are a lot of good-hearted people here who feel driven to help those less fortunate and know that even a little bit helps. So there's a little silver lining for ya!
  • rhiannonharding
    rhiannonharding Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i really just want to move to canada. it's nice and cold and there's lots of hockey and health care.

LOL such stereotypes. But yeah, health care here is a pretty nice perk, and sounds a lot better than you're making America out to be!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all on making this the thread which has made me the angriest of any thread I've ever read on MFP.

I'm not going to pretend I'm a political and socio-economic expert like some of the people here who have posted seem to be. I'm just going to say that I am more than greatly disturbed about the following points that various different people made.

1 - "America is the best country in the WORLD!!!!" In my opinion (we can still have our own opinions, right?) if you have only lived in the US then you have no basis for comparison. The world does not consist of the elitist United States of America and a bunch of 2nd rate other places. Time to wake up and admit that maybe there are some (or many) things that are done here that could be improved upon or changed.

2 - "Just move out of the country then" - Really??? I mean, I understand if people are unhappy there is always that option, but since the majority of the country is in financial ruin, a lot of us don't have the bank accounts necessary for it. Also, what is the point of moving to another country without first finding employment? It's not as simple as hopping on a plane and flying to another place to live happily ever after.

3 - "Canada's Health Care Sucks. And it's cold" - I'm sorry, but I have to throw down here. I'm from the USA and I've never lived anywhere else, but a lot of my family lives in Canada. They are citizens, and, of course, receive the healthcare provided by Canada. They have no complaints about the system. MANY people here in the US that I know do not have jobs that provide healthcare. If you have $500 (or whatever the cost) for prescription medications, and doctor bills, and etc, that's great for you. Most people don't. Isn't it a little ridiculous to expect people without health care to pay for something like treating CANCER??? You don't have to agree that anything that's been proposed so far in the US is perfect, but to me, it's a problem. Healthcare is a basic human right, which is being denied to some people here because of cost.

4 - For those of you that keep saying we need to "go out and vote" and "make a change" all I can really do is laugh. I'm sorry that you still believe that voting does anything in this country. I really am. I don't hate the United States but I think it's more than obvious that our political system is corrupt. Politicians have one agenda, and that's making money. They are given information for insider trading on a regular basis and they can't be arrested for it. They did a story on this on 60 Minutes, which you can google if you'd like. So, no, I don't believe that if I go and peacefully protest in DC and vote for what I believe in that it would actually make a difference. I'm a registered voter, and I vote in every election, but again I really have little faith that it matters much anyway.

Finally, what in the hell is with all the disrespect and insults being thrown around??? If you don't agree with what someone has to say, that's fine, but it's hardly cause for making a nasty comment. Make your point and move on. When your response to someones statement is "well you're stupid" - it actually makes you sound less intelligent, and less credible.

That's my rant for today. & Again, thank you people of the internet for turning (what seemed like) a light-hearted post by someone who is just frustrated with things in the US, into a free-for-all where everyone thinks they're right. If you're not going to listen to anyone else's views on an issue, then go give your opinions to a brick wall because the brick wall will give you the answer of silence you're obviously looking for.

WELL SAID! I agree with every last word, I think we are on the same page. I wish more people could think outside the box like this. We can't believe everything we are told, right?
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is horrible. These people acting like there are no freedoms in other countries and acting like America is the pinnacle of civilization need to get a reality check.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is horrible. These people acting like there are no freedoms in other countries and acting like America is the pinnacle of civilization need to get a reality check.

ROFL! Agreed.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I had to take mine down into pieces and mail the pieces seperately back to myself when I entered Canada. They told me no one can carry a gun in Canada!

Not sure about all the technicalities, but there would definitely be issues with crossing the border with a gun. As a Canadian citizen, you can definitely own guns. I don't know all the technicalities about carrying one around, but I think you need to have a purpose (hunting, for example).

A US citizen visiting Canada can carry a hunting rifle over the border, but you have to declare it. Failure to declare may be treated as an attempt at smuggling. If you didn't declare it, you're lucky they didn't confiscate it and/or charge you with a crime. If you did declare it, you probably got an a-hole customs official. If you want to bring a handgun over the border, you need to get an Auth to Transport permit in advance. The restrictions are actually more strict for Canadian (or other) citizens bringing guns into the US. You have to apply for a permit for "temporary import" from the ATF well in advance to entering the US.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    thank you for sacrificing so much of your life to defend ours! i love it here and couldnt imagine living anywhere else and it is because of self sacrificing people like you who are brave enough to serve that the rest of us can enjoy the freedoms we have.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

I think I just fell in love with you. :) Thanks.

Also, I lived in Germany for a year (and in the German section of Germany, not on an American air base or anything). I went to school in Germany, had insurance in Germany, bought my food in Germany, the works. And if you asked me whether I'd choose America or Germany, I'd choose Germany. To me, the grass was truly greener on the other side.

But hey. Maybe it's just my experiences. Maybe it's the state I lived in, the people I met, the school I went to. But I would take Germany over America any day.

That's just my opinion. And you're entitled to your own. Just try to be nice to me when reading about my opinion, please.

P.S. And just because I would rather live in Germany doesn't mean I don't love our American troops. People in my family have fought and lost their lives for my freedoms. I don't take them for granted.
  • oberon0124
    oberon0124 Posts: 10,527 Member
    Options
    Here is my take on me and America,

Born American!

Raised American!!!

Worked my whole Life American!

Raised my children Ameican.!!!

They are raising theirs American!!!

So when I die American they will take this worn out body and bury it in the cemetary with seven other generations of this American family!!!!

Just me, but I am an American from head to toe. No moving anywhere for me!
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    boy am i happy to live in CANADA and be a canadian... thats all i can say...