Biting my tongue at seeing overweight children

Options

Replies

• DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

You know what my mom did if I dared throw a tantrum over something like donuts? Spank the crap outta me. Take a wild guess how many tantrums I threw :laugh: Caribbean parents don't play that game at ALL. especially the Jamaicans :bigsmile:

Yeah, that'll get CPS repelling down from helicopters on ya here. My husband had the audacity to take my son out of the store when he was throwing a tantrum and we had the sheriff called on us.

Thats just crazy! another example of people seeing a small peice of a whole picture and making harsh judgments!

It's sad too as the CPS system is already over burrdened with real problems.

i was at target and a little girl about 9 asked her mom if she could tell the dr she got new shoes and the mom snapped back "no! Are you stupid?? then he would know why we were late!" and continued yelling at her to hurry up. like it was the kids fault they were late. thats the kind of person who needs the cops called on them! i get frustrated with my daughter but i would NEVER call her stupid.

Wow. That just broke my heart.
    That poor little girl. "/
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I hope the mom isn't a member of MFP. :(

I hope she IS a member. That way she can actually have a chance to defend herself instead of everyone assuming the OP knows the whole story about a couple of strangers she happened to come across while eating.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

You know what my mom did if I dared throw a tantrum over something like donuts? Spank the crap outta me. Take a wild guess how many tantrums I threw :laugh: Caribbean parents don't play that game at ALL. especially the Jamaicans :bigsmile:

Yeah, that'll get CPS repelling down from helicopters on ya here. My husband had the audacity to take my son out of the store when he was throwing a tantrum and we had the sheriff called on us.

Thats just crazy! another example of people seeing a small peice of a whole picture and making harsh judgments!

i was at target and a little girl about 9 asked her mom if she could tell the dr she got new shoes and the mom snapped back "no! Are you stupid?? then he would know why we were late!" and continued yelling at her to hurry up. like it was the kids fault they were late. thats the kind of person who needs the cops called on them! i get frustrated with my daughter but i would NEVER call her stupid.

yup major difference. my mom spanked me if i wanted to act out and really misbehave but there was no one calling me stupid or really abusing me.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options

Excuse as to why you keep claming it okay to give your child some sort of junk food to keep them from screaming.
    How do you know if my son is special needs or not?! Im pretty sure I never said whether he was or not. So quick to assume towards nothing you have no knowledge of.

I just feel there are some battles you need to pick. As a parent, a mom, you really should already know this. If someone gives their kid a donut in the store while they're grocery shopping to keep them occupied and it works for them, if the kids generally have a good diet... who the hell am I or you to judge them?

You really think if a kid is screaming for a DONUT inside of a store they havent done it before and obviously gotten thier way??
    Doing sound like generally good diet habits to me.

We're talking about preventative donuts here. There's a difference.

Preventative donuts?!
    Lmfao. If your child had good eating habits they wouldnt be asking for donuts to be happy.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Like I said.... EXCUSES... Lol.

Again, not every child acts the same. As a mom you should know that.

& as a mother you should know that giving yoru child anything they want to shut them up isnt going to teach them any good morals for when they get older. You have to instill discipline and understanding.
    If you cant control your children then maybe you just aint cut out to be a parent.

And, yet again, who are you to judge how a parent "controls" their children. You don't know their issues, their discipline. You're taking a snippit and assuming you know the whole picture. You don't.

I said a parent needs to gain control of thier children.
    If a child is screaming in the middle of a store because they want something and the parent hurrys to give them what they want to stop them then there is obviously no control. The child controls the parent at that point.

From what I understand from what this conversation sprang out of (a lollypop in line for the mail) we're talking about a parent giving a child a treat to prevent them from having bad behavior.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    People who allow their kids to eat like **** and be fat deserve to be harshly judged. Parents are making their kids fat! Might as well give your 8 year old a loaded gun to play with while they devour their mcnuggets, frosty, fries and brownies.

I seriously hope you never ever ever have children.

I would much rather have a big kid with an equally big heart than fit kid who thinks its okay to pass harsh judgments on people he finds inferior.

You can say that a certain type of parent may be making their kids fat but as$hole parents are making THEIR kids into bullies and this is a trend no one seems to be catching on to.

People know when they are fat, they also know when their kids are fat and I highly doubt a single one of them feels good about it. For a lot of people the battle isn't so much psychical as it is emotional, habitual, and financial. No one really ever knows another person's inner battle...let alone perfect strangers!

Stop judging!
  • jenslife82
    Options
    :noway: How DARE overweight people go out in public! I'm so sorry you had to look at that :sad:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Your anger sustains me. Good. Good.

A powerful sith you must be.

Yes. So much delicious rage and hate.
  • taramaureen
    Options

That's sad.
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

yup major difference. my mom spanked me if i wanted to act out and really misbehave but there was no one calling me stupid or really abusing me.

i got a swat on the butt when I deserved it and I turned out just fine, well actually my butt is a little flatter
  • DietingMommy08
    Options

Like I said.... EXCUSES... Lol.

Again, not every child acts the same. As a mom you should know that.

& as a mother you should know that giving yoru child anything they want to shut them up isnt going to teach them any good morals for when they get older. You have to instill discipline and understanding.
    If you cant control your children then maybe you just aint cut out to be a parent.

And, yet again, who are you to judge how a parent "controls" their children. You don't know their issues, their discipline. You're taking a snippit and assuming you know the whole picture. You don't.

I said a parent needs to gain control of thier children.
    If a child is screaming in the middle of a store because they want something and the parent hurrys to give them what they want to stop them then there is obviously no control. The child controls the parent at that point.

From what I understand from what this conversation sprang out of (a lollypop in line for the mail) we're talking about a parent giving a child a treat to prevent them from having bad behavior.

we are talking about a parent giving a child a treat thats already acting out i bad behavior to stop the bad behavior...
    therefore rewarding the way the child is acting to get wat they want.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Your anger sustains me. Good. Good.

A powerful sith you must be.

Yes. So much delicious rage and hate.

Yes. YESSSSSSSSSS.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    A parent ordering deep fried junk for their skinny child is every bit as bad as a parent ordering deep fried junk for their chubby child - regardless of the size of the child, you aren't taking care of them when you fill their bodies with junk and, when a child is already overweight, you are just exasperating the problem (but even if they're skinny, you aren't giving their bodies what they need to grow and develop in a healthy manner).

I agree! I have a bigger issue with parents feeding their kids unhealthy food CONSTANTLY than just an overweight child (since a child can be overweight but eat healthy food 99% of the time)

Wow, that's ridiculous. Honestly, if I had the choice to leave all my stuff to take a tantrum throwing child outside to talk to I would! I wouldn't fight with a screaming child in the store. It doesn't mean you're going to beat them just because you removed them from the store.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    No right at all. When I was young my doctor prescribed me steroids (incorrectly) and my weight balooned. Later on in life i found out that my teachers used to go through my lunch box, tell the canteen staff to not let me eat certain foods and question my mum about what she fed me. I remember one day them forcing me to sit and eat an egg (as it was classed as healthy) until I was sick. I went from being very skinny to very very fat in a short space of time so people felt the need to 'help me'. From then on I was constantly judged and people often made comments. I had low self esteem for years, binged on food in secret. My whole family were thin except for me with good diets. I was an active kid but as I ate in secret my weight never dropped from the initial steroid mistake. basically, keep your mouth shut, keep your judgements to yourself and move on.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

i got a swat on the butt when I deserved it and I turned out just fine, well actually my butt is a little flatter

HA! so THATS why i have no booty!!!!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

HA! so THATS why i have no booty!!!!

Me too! My mom is gonna get it next time I see her!
  • taramaureen
    Options

Preventative donuts?!
    Lmfao. If your child had good eating habits they wouldnt be asking for donuts to be happy.

Oh your assumptions are killing me LOL. Kids with good eating habits are going to ask for junk at some point. It's going to be introduced to them somwhewere (school, another kid, etc) It's not that far of a stretch. Most parents I know who do this say "Hey, here's a (insert junk food here) now be good while I talk to the mail man". There's no tantrum, there's no crying. Preventative.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    No right at all. When I was young my doctor prescribed me steroids (incorrectly) and my weight balooned. Later on in life i found out that my teachers used to go through my lunch box, tell the canteen staff to not let me eat certain foods and question my mum about what she fed me. I remember one day them forcing me to sit and eat an egg (as it was classed as healthy) until I was sick. I went from being very skinny to very very fat in a short space of time so people felt the need to 'help me'. From then on I was constantly judged and people often made comments. I had low self esteem for years. basically, keep your mouth shut and move on

That is ridiculous. They had no right to do the things they did.
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    "Eat up, honey! The more the better! Nevermind if you develop juvenile diabetes or are teased by kids, because you can squash them!"

**IF anybody is offended by what I say, that's too bad. I would think most of us MFP's are ALL for children's health.

I am pretty sure juvenile diabetes is not something you can give yourself. It's actually referred to as Type 1 diabetes and it is the type you are born with.
  • taramaureen
    Options

we are talking about a parent giving a child a treat thats already acting out i bad behavior to stop the bad behavior...
    therefore rewarding the way the child is acting to get wat they want.

that may be what YOU are talking about but not me LOL
This discussion has been closed.