breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    oh...one more thing about taking the infant into a bathroom stall to feed the infant etc. I have other children. They were often the purpose of my out of the house trips. They had needs, appointments etc. With my oldest we just lived around her schedule but as the family evolved we learned how to manage. My 4 year old was at a basketball game at 10 days old...his sister's first basketball game ever...we weren't missing her event and the little guy slept the whole time. One time while shopping for school clothes, my mom came with me so when I stayed in the dressing room we were already in to finsih feeding a child she took the other kids to the next store. On the trips that we were out and I didn't have another adult with me to entertain my other children what the hell was I supposed to do with them while the baby nursed for 20 min in a bathroom stall...oh and sometimes a hungry baby eats longer than 20 minutes... so at the mall we would go to the play area so they could play and I could feed the baby...or we would all get our lunches while I fed the baby etc but to sit in a bathroom stall and keep my other kids safe and occupied without playing on bathroom floors I made different choices. Again discretion is possible but still if it is ok for a baby to have a bottle in said location it is ok to breastfeed the baby in the same place.
  • Laurandy0912
    Laurandy0912 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I breastfeed three kids and in public (covered up) if I had too. Go breastfeeding moms.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    As long the woman covers up it doesnt bother me. I say do what ever is easier on the mom and baby.
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with out in the car?
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It amuses me in a place where so many tell us "we should learn to listen to our bodies" there are so many determined that babies should be taught to ignore theirs.
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've breastfed all of mine.
    My goal was discretion but when a baby gets to a certain age, discretion can be a challenge. My husband is a natural guy and told me not to worry about it, just do the best I could. I've seen people watching me latch my babies on and decided I couldn't worry about it. Babies have to eat when they have to eat.

Its really an American thing. I've known several women from other countries and watched them breast feed their babies and they NEVER worried about covering. They exposed their whole breast, latched the baby on and then (sometimes) pulled their shirt down accordingly. It never bothered me or my husband. I would go on to say that I have 8 sons, ages 23- 3 and I've watched them time after time around my breast feeding friends and they all know its a natural thing.

Personally, I love to see women breast feeding. Especially young mothers, who are just starting out. There is something so special about breast feeding.

Some of the best art work around is of mothers breast feeding their children.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    oh...one more thing about taking the infant into a bathroom stall to feed the infant etc. I have other children. They were often the purpose of my out of the house trips. They had needs, appointments etc. With my oldest we just lived around her schedule but as the family evolved we learned how to manage. My 4 year old was at a basketball game at 10 days old...his sister's first basketball game ever...we weren't missing her event and the little guy slept the whole time. One time while shopping for school clothes, my mom came with me so when I stayed in the dressing room we were already in to finsih feeding a child she took the other kids to the next store. On the trips that we were out and I didn't have another adult with me to entertain my other children what the hell was I supposed to do with them while the baby nursed for 20 min in a bathroom stall...oh and sometimes a hungry baby eats longer than 20 minutes... so at the mall we would go to the play area so they could play and I could feed the baby...or we would all get our lunches while I fed the baby etc but to sit in a bathroom stall and keep my other kids safe and occupied without playing on bathroom floors I made different choices. Again discretion is possible but still if it is ok for a baby to have a bottle in said location it is ok to breastfeed the baby in the same place.

I think feeding in a bathroom is gross - just like I think sitting on a Target aisle nasty dirty floor in the middle of a shopping area is gross. I think what you did is right and I think this is what most mothers do - it is the minority who are the reason there is any debate in the 1st place.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

It's 1) inconvenient. 2) hot. 3) just a general pain in the *kitten*.

"What's wrong with people not staring?" is the best question.... :)
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't really be an issue at all. Breasts are for feeding and babies get hungry in public! On the other hand I think that breast feeding mothers should consider covering up their breasts while doing so. Some just don't care about exposing themselves. Not everyone is approving of an exposed breast so just be considerate on both sides.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Do what you got to do, but just remember to be discreet and sympathetic to others around you.
    THIS!! I've nursed 3 kids. I'm not gonna go hide in a bathroom, but I can find a quiet corner and be discreet. She was offered a dressing room right? Ideal (IMO). To each her own though I suppose. Airplanes, there's really no other choice.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I've breastfed all of mine.
    My goal was discretion but when a baby gets to a certain age, discretion can be a challenge. My husband is a natural guy and told me not to worry about it, just do the best I could. I've seen people watching me latch my babies on and decided I couldn't worry about it. Babies have to eat when they have to eat.

Its really an American thing. I've known several women from other countries and watched them breast feed their babies and they NEVER worried about covering. They exposed their whole breast, latched the baby on and then (sometimes) pulled their shirt down accordingly. It never bothered me or my husband. I would go on to say that I have 8 sons, ages 23- 3 and I've watched them time after time around my breast feeding friends and they all know its a natural thing.

Personally, I love to see women breast feeding. Especially young mothers, who are just starting out. There is something so special about breast feeding.

Some of the best art work around is of mothers breast feeding their children.

Yep. My kids (I have five) don't bat an eyelash to the sight of another breastfeeding mother. That's because they are not being brought up by a prude though.

And I am very modest. I believe that a woman's cleavage should be covered. I believe a man's a$$crack should be covered too. I don't think women's thongs should be sticking out the back of their pants. I wouldn't be caught dead in a two piece bathing suit, and neither would my daughters. But a baby needing to eat, needs to be fed-regardless of the method.
  • bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I breastfed all mine when it was needed publicly or privately but I made sure NOTHING was seen by anyone outside of my cover!! So if someone has a problem with a mother nursing a baby UNDER a blanket in public they have more issues than just breastfeeding.
    Now if a mother is nursing a child where EVERYONE can see her breast then heck yea I have a problems.

We adults and out children eat in public everyday. there are some kids I would prefer their parents put them in a barn to eat cause of the disrespect they show when in public but yet we still allow them, so what is so wrong with a baby eating in public as long as its covered and respecting others around...
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    when i was nursing my 2nd daughter, it was often done in public .usually i would wear a tank top under my shirt and then just pull my shirt up and feed her.. sometimes we were shopping, sometimes we were at a restaurant. the main reason for the tank top was because i didnt want my fat belly hanging out >.> however, my daughter wouldnt really tolerate a blanket over her while she ate.. she would either fuss and pull it off, or it would make her too warm and she would fall asleep before finishing eating. we never really had any issues with being told to feed her in the bathroom or something like that - and sometimes people started. i would just smile at them until they realized what they were doing...most of the time they would blush and turn the other way.
    pumping isnt the same as nursing - you dont get nearly as much milk and it can decrease your production. i had to pump with my first daughter and i hated it.. but i just couldnt get her to latch on. i gave her as much as i could pump, and supplemented with formula.
    while i think breastfeeding is natural and not a big deal, i can understand some people being uncomfortable around it. but all this bashing of BFing mothers and telling them to feed their children in the bathroom stall (ugh *vomit* really?!) is ridiculous. yes - some stores and restaurants have nursing rooms and such, and thats great for those who wish to use them...but it shouldnt be a forced thing.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculous that this is even debated!!!!

I was a breastfeeding mother and a hungry baby doesn't care WHERE you are when it's time to feed... PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE THEIR SENSITIVE *kitten* ELSEWHERE AND DON'T STOP AND STARE if it bothers them...

I breastfed in public and I have to say that I doubt anyone ever even knew I was breastfeeding unless they stopped and thoroughly looked me over...which would mean they had a serious problem to start with... I always wore clothing FOR breastfeeding and always covered with something...
    It's totally natural. Don't down someone for doing the best thing and most natural thing for their baby... MOVE THE FREAK ON and don't stop and try to get a peep at a boobie... IDIOT!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Try that in Buffalo in February. Also, not everyone has a car.
  • MaggieINC
    Options
    Yea it's all natural and everything. I don't have a problem with it, but it makes people feel uncomfortable. Mom's need to be a bit discreet about it.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Free dem puppies.

Just don't judge when I stare.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Babies have to eat. Breasts are the default method of feeding them. Moms have stuff to do out in the world. Babies have to breastfed out in the world.
  • Laureen74
    Laureen74 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Pro breastfeeding. Alot of stores don't provide private places. Would you eat in a bathroom, so women should be told to use one to feed their children. Majority of women use shawls or some type of coverings when breastfeeding their children. This is what the breasts are made for. People need to stop sexualizing it.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

It's 1) inconvenient. 2) hot. 3) just a general pain in the *kitten*.

"What's wrong with people not staring?" is the best question.... :)

:drinker: