breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    I have no problem with BF in public covered. It would not bother ME to see someone uncovered however if I am with my children who are 7 and 9 I would appreciate that they not have to see it. They are curious and they are not at the age that those things need to be discussed yet, not to mention my son does not need to see a breast at the age of 7!

Yes, it is life and they will eventually have to understand everything that comes along with child bearing but I don't want to have that conversation with them at the age they are now.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have sat and read 8 pages of this thread, a lot of it ignorant people who only care about themselves and not the well being of a child. I would like to address ALL of them but obviously this is not possible so I'm going to address some in the last 2 pages.

1.whats wrong with out in the car?
    The most ignorant statement I've heard if I've ever heard one. Not everyone has a car dumbass. Majority of us Jamaicans don't.

2. Do what is natural to you, but you don't have to draw attention to yourself for an agenda (as many women in this new campaign for breastfeeding are doing).
    They wouldn't HAVE to do that if in the first place they weren't the target of snide remarks and ugly stares.

3. Actually, if it isn't done in public, it's none of anyone else's business. You do it in public, you make it everyone else's business.
    So if you pick YOUR nose in public, or chew with your mouth open at a restaurant it is now my business and I have the right to tell you to stop?

4. Formula fed babies don't have to take the extra supplements that breastfed babies have to because the formula really is PERFECTLY created for their nutritional needs. Also remember that whatever you ate during breastfeeding goes to your baby...so all that junk food that you ate....straight to the baby. Fantastic nutrition in those chips & cookies...too bad all that crap is missing from formula. PLEASE stop bashing moms who choose to bottle feed whether or not they ever tried breastfeeding! Another stupid comment that I really shouldn't be addressing but can't help.
    I EXCLUSIVELY breastfed and NEVER used SUPPLEMENTS. And if you think any formula is better than breast milk you need to go and do some more research. (And I don't mean the ones that the formula making companies endorse).

If I've come across as harsh, that's because I'm mad as hell about how stupid some people can be.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    As a mother who breast feed I think its unnessary to do so in public. I think for you to throw your boobs around like hippy is your business but I dont wanna see it.

This has been something that YEARS people have protested against. Yes yes I get its natural. Yes I get all the crap your dishing out to say why we should allow it but its 2012 people get with the times. Keep your boobs in your bra while your doing your shopping.

And if you so intent on showing your boobs off than go to a nudist community and munch on some gronala.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Americans are so hung up on nudity, especially breasts. Men walk around with their breasts showing, but pull one out to use it for its intended purpose, and risk becoming an object of ridicule.

Just had to repeat this point right here - for obvious reasons.

lol. this post should get quoted many times, haha and true
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    To anyoone who says to do it in a toilet. Would you eat in a toilet? Get a grip.

I breastfed my child for 15 months and in public. If anyone told me to stop, they would have got a right hook to the face. If you can't bear to look at anything that natural, then you need to take a long hard look at yourself. There is not much more natural than breastfeeding.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sick of hearing about this subject. It seems to be brought up every few years when a mother gets a hair up her butt and decides to make an issue of it. Go to the bathroom, go to your car, there are plenty of places for mothers now-a-days to breast feed and doing it in a public forum is being rude and disrespectful to others. I'm guessing these women know when their baby is due to be fed so perhaps they should prepare better. Stop making a statement and move on with your life!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im ok with it,im even more ok witgh it if the mom has a nice rack
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

I think the ones who choose to breastfeed publicly are crying for attention, and they are sure to get it.
    Like most men, I enjoy the opportunity to see a breast every now and then, but this just doesn't seem like the right way to do it.
    I'd prefer they take advantage of a private spot.

Just 'cause its natural doesn't mean you have to share it with the world.
    Other natural things I prefer not to experience others doing in public:
    urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    clipping toe nails or finger nails
    clearing a nasal obstruction with a finger
    flossing or using a toothpick
    etc

Really!?? U just compared a mother feeding her infant to vomiting defacating & other disgusting things??

Smh
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Just saw a news article about how some women staged a breastfeeding protest in Target stores across the country. What are your thoughts about this? Is it okay or should the woman find a private place to breastfeed in?

Is it ok to feed a baby? Yeah, of course it is. Babies need food.

Nobody asks anyone to eat their big Mac in private. Why should babies and their breastfeeding mothers be cloistered?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    *sigh* Americans are so hung up on nudity, especially breasts. Men walk around with their breasts showing, but pull one out to use it for its intended purpose, and risk becoming an object of ridicule.

Just had to repeat this point right here - for obvious reasons.

lol. this post should get quoted many times, haha and true

agreed... reposting this one too!
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think it's completely ok. However, I am shocked that women seem to want to do this as publicly as possible. I mean, more power to you, but I don't even take my shirt off in public...

6921816.png
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Are BJ's okay in public? Sometimes I just need a quick shot of protein when I am hungry and cannot locate a private place.
  • Teliooo
    Options
    As a mother who breast feed I think its unnessary to do so in public. I think for you to throw your boobs around like hippy is your business but I dont wanna see it.

This has been something that YEARS people have protested against. Yes yes I get its natural. Yes I get all the crap your dishing out to say why we should allow it but its 2012 people get with the times. Keep your boobs in your bra while your doing your shopping.

And if you so intent on showing your boobs off than go to a nudist community and munch on some gronala.

I never once, got my boob out or had them out on show. Are you imagining someone just wapping one out? You can be VERY discreet without anyone seeing anything. If they are trying to look then what the hell, have a good look perve. If you have issues with your own body or others then fine but soemtimes it is not convinent to go somewhere private and feed. There is no way I am feeding my child in a toilet.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Are BJ's okay in public? Sometimes I just need a quick shot of pretein when I am hugry and cannot locate a private place.

bahahahaa
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

I think the ones who choose to breastfeed publicly are crying for attention, and they are sure to get it.
    Like most men, I enjoy the opportunity to see a breast every now and then, but this just doesn't seem like the right way to do it.
    I'd prefer they take advantage of a private spot.

Just 'cause its natural doesn't mean you have to share it with the world.
    Other natural things I prefer not to experience others doing in public:
    urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    clipping toe nails or finger nails
    clearing a nasal obstruction with a finger
    flossing or using a toothpick
    etc

R U FOR REAL?

*dead*

You are probably also the same type who would ***** and complain about a screaming baby being in public, because I guarantee you that's what a breastfed baby would be doing if you refused to FEED IT.

Grow up, or put a blanket over your head. They're just BOOBS. I see more boob in some girls' low-cut shirts than you can see on a boob with a baby's head covering it.

To those who don't want to "have that conversation with their kids": not my problem if you can't figure out simply saying "she's feeding her baby" to your child.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Are BJ's okay in public? Sometimes I just need a quick shot of pretein when I am hugry and cannot locate a private place.

lmfao!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    When I breastfed I was too embarresed to feed in public. This meant that I ended up feeding my child in toilets. Not nice or comfy. In the end I refused to go out unless I had to or there was a nursing room I could use. Why should my child be forced to eat in a toilet? It's not fair! And you could be done for 30mins or more. Your dinner goes cold you can't get to your drink. It's just really unpleasent. For those who have the confidence to do I say go for it! If you don't like then don't look!!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman and I'm all for breastfeeding. I think they should throw a blanket over at least. I don't prefer to be walking through a store and see someone's breast hanging out.
    Seriously? Why is there this silly misconception that breastfeeding mothers go around flopping their boobs out at every opportunity? While there may be a few that have no discretion, MOST breastfeeding moms do so without anyone else knowing!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

I never once, got my boob out or had them out on show. Are you imagining someone just wapping one out? You can be VERY discreet without anyone seeing anything. If they are trying to look then what the hell, have a good look pervr. If you have issues with your own body or others then fine but soemtimes it is not convinent to go somewhere private and feed. There is no way I am feeding my child in a toilet.

Did I say to stuff your child in a toliet and breast feed?
    Uh no.

They are TONS of public restrooms that have benches in them or areas in them that you can have a private moment to breast feed. If women were so discreet about this it wouldnt be an issue.

I have no issue with my body or breast feeding I dont see the need to do so in public.
  • Teliooo
    Options
    I have sat and read 8 pages of this thread, a lot of it ignorant people who only care about themselves and not the well being of a child. I would like to address ALL of them but obviously this is not possible so I'm going to address some in the last 2 pages.

1.whats wrong with out in the car?
    The most ignorant statement I've heard if I've ever heard one. Not everyone has a car dumbass. Majority of us Jamaicans don't.

2. Do what is natural to you, but you don't have to draw attention to yourself for an agenda (as many women in this new campaign for breastfeeding are doing).
    They wouldn't HAVE to do that if in the first place they weren't the target of snide remarks and ugly stares.

3. Actually, if it isn't done in public, it's none of anyone else's business. You do it in public, you make it everyone else's business.
    So if you pick YOUR nose in public, or chew with your mouth open at a restaurant it is now my business and I have the right to tell you to stop?

4. Formula fed babies don't have to take the extra supplements that breastfed babies have to because the formula really is PERFECTLY created for their nutritional needs. Also remember that whatever you ate during breastfeeding goes to your baby...so all that junk food that you ate....straight to the baby. Fantastic nutrition in those chips & cookies...too bad all that crap is missing from formula. PLEASE stop bashing moms who choose to bottle feed whether or not they ever tried breastfeeding! Another stupid comment that I really shouldn't be addressing but can't help.
    I EXCLUSIVELY breastfed and NEVER used SUPPLEMENTS. And if you think any formula is better than breast milk you need to go and do some more research. (And I don't mean the ones that the formula making companies endorse).

If I've come across as harsh, that's because I'm mad as hell about how stupid some people can be.

This x 10