breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed that there are some women admitting that their own kids haven't seen a woman's boob before. What, not even your own? very odd.

No my son has not seen my boob before (I breast fed but no kid ever remembers that)!! That is sick

sick!!!!!!!! what a judgment. I genuinely feel bad for you right now.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed that there are some women admitting that their own kids haven't seen a woman's boob before. What, not even your own? very odd.

No my son has not seen my boob before (I breast fed but no kid ever remembers that)!! That is sick
    If your son is 7, he's seen a breast. And probably even caught a glimpse of yours at some point unless you never take your clothes off, even to shower.

Like I asked before, do you not allow your children into art museums?
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    I'm a little confused. I've seen many different suggestions offered to the nursing mommies on how to keep covered, avoid offending others, and maintain modesty. Many of these posters also have there "before" pictures posted for all of us to see. Many would say a picture of an obese person in underwear is also offensive. Those that are so quick to be offended by the glimpse of breast doing exactly what is was created to do should practice what they preach. I would suggest they begin by removing all partially clothed or underwear pictures from their site. Based upon the outrage they have expressed, I'm sure they would not want to risk offending any one with their underwear photos! Go Mommy!!
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    there are discreet ways to do it - and that is more than appropriate.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    As a mother who breast feed I think its unnessary to do so in public. I think for you to throw your boobs around like hippy is your business but I dont wanna see it.

This has been something that YEARS people have protested against. Yes yes I get its natural. Yes I get all the crap your dishing out to say why we should allow it but its 2012 people get with the times. Keep your boobs in your bra while your doing your shopping.

And if you so intent on showing your boobs off than go to a nudist community and munch on some gronala.

I never once, got my boob out or had them out on show. Are you imagining someone just wapping one out? You can be VERY discreet without anyone seeing anything. If they are trying to look then what the hell, have a good look pervr. If you have issues with your own body or others then fine but soemtimes it is not convinent to go somewhere private and feed. There is no way I am feeding my child in a toilet.

Did I say to stuff your child in a toliet and breast feed?
    Uh no.

They are TONS of public restrooms that have benches in them or areas in them that you can have a private moment to breast feed. If women were so discreet about this it wouldnt be an issue.

I have no issue with my body or breast feeding I dont see the need to do so in public.

there arenot tons, there are 2 in my whole city which are usually full because people like you feel the need to get het up about something so trivial. I have never once seena woman with her breast fully out and even if I did, I think I am old enough and mature enough to handle it.

Okay well I apologize you live out in the country. How hard is it to feed your child BEFORE going into target? There is so many other things you can do. Not once did I breastfeed in public. If this was something that was so discreet there wouldnt be people who protest it.

I think as a society we shun women for wearing short skirts and men who were thongs to the beach but its okay for women to breast feed?

I am totally for women rights but this should put to the back burner.

You actually have no idea, i live in a city ffs. Also my child fed nearly every hour, so you would expect me to have no social life so you don't have to try and look at my boobs?. You obviously have never breastfed. Oh wow, you have. I am shocked and saddened. Convo over.

My point is if women were so discreet with breast feeding in public this would not be an issue. Just because YOU do it that way doesnt mean every woman out there does.

Its not that I find it embarrassing or think anyone should be ashamed. I just find it undecent.

A woman and baby don't have to be covered with a blanket or cover-up to be discreet...and yet I WAS completely covered the time that I was confronted the most agressively about feeding my child in public. I find many fashions and trends indecent...feeding a baby should be the least of our priorities.

The fact is that most women are exceedingly modest when nursing. We shouldn't paint all breastfeeding moms with the same broad brush...the same for those who choose or must use formula.

I understand exactly what your saying. And if that was the case I find that different. Discreetly breast feeding I dont have the issue with. Breast feeding is amazing for children. It helps them grow, makes them smarter(according to research), and etc etc etc. I get breast feeding I did Breast Feed myself however I dont think women HAVE to do so in public. If junior needs to eat and you know you'll be shopping why not do so before hand??

And if they were so modest and discreet I really dont think there would be anyone against it.
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

I think the ones who choose to breastfeed publicly are crying for attention, and they are sure to get it.
    Like most men, I enjoy the opportunity to see a breast every now and then, but this just doesn't seem like the right way to do it.
    I'd prefer they take advantage of a private spot.

Just 'cause its natural doesn't mean you have to share it with the world.
    Other natural things I prefer not to experience others doing in public:
    urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    clipping toe nails or finger nails
    clearing a nasal obstruction with a finger
    flossing or using a toothpick
    etc

love it
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I'm a little confused. I've seen many different suggestions offered to the nursing mommies on how to keep covered, avoid offending others, and maintain modesty. Many of these posters also have there "before" pictures posted for all of us to see. Many would say a picture of an obese person in underwear is also offensive. Those that are so quick to be offended by the glimpse of breast doing exactly what is was created to do should practice what they preach. I would suggest they begin by removing all partially clothed or underwear pictures from their site. Based upon the outrage they have expressed, I'm sure they would not want to risk offending any one with their underwear photos! Go Mommy!!

I do get offended BTW when women/men dont wear enough clothing. I also think there is a reason why they say No Shirt No Shoes no Service. I think men should wear a shirt in public as well. I would be equally offened by seeing man boobs pop out.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

Why is it "sick?" My kids have seen my boobs on occasion. I'm not all like shaking them in their faces or anything, but they live here and I don't like to shut the bathroom door when I'm here alone with them because I need to be able to hear them. So they've seen stuff. Who cares? They're little.

IMO it is gross, but that is just me! My kids are also a bit older 7 and 9 and I doubt my 7 year old wants to see his moms boob or any other private part. In our family certain body parts are private and they are taught to keep them private!

Doesn't anyone remember that awkward time where they heard their parents in the bedroom?? I do and wish I'd never experienced it.

I just think 7 and 9 is too young to be exposed to that type of thing. I would hope that because of this my daughter will keep her body private and not dress provocatively when she is a teenager. Maybe that is why some girls grow up thinking it is okay to have cleavage showing, they are not taught to keep certain body parts private.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

I think the ones who choose to breastfeed publicly are crying for attention, and they are sure to get it.
    Like most men, I enjoy the opportunity to see a breast every now and then, but this just doesn't seem like the right way to do it.

Exactly. I don't know why you would deliberately do something that made others uncomfortable. It is just to gain attention, the way PDA is just a way of getting attention. There are so many options that the whole "best for the baby" thing is not really a valid argument, it's more an issue of convenience/attention for the mom.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I understand exactly what your saying. And if that was the case I find that different. Discreetly breast feeding I dont have the issue with. Breast feeding is amazing for children. It helps them grow, makes them smarter(according to research), and etc etc etc. I get breast feeding I did Breast Feed myself however I dont think women HAVE to do so in public. If junior needs to eat and you know you'll be shopping why not do so before hand??

And if they were so modest and discreet I really dont think there would be anyone against it.

Have you, personally, ever seen a breastfeeding woman with her boobs in public just hanging out all over the place?

I'm 35 years old, have witnessed probably a hundred or more women breastfeeding in public and not once have I actually seen even a millimeter of breast on any one of them.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if some of you who are so against breastfeeding in public are aware of what happens when your baby starts crying because s/he is hungry? Oh, yes, I remember it well... your milk lets down and starts leaking. Now any nursing mother will be wearing nursing pads and hopefully a thick nursing bra, but depending on your milk supply and how quickly your milk lets down you could very possibly soak right through both the pad and the bra. (Yes, I'm speaking from experience) So, as I'm trying to get my baby out of the shopping cart so I can get to the bathroom, I realize that I have two very large wet spots over each breast on my shirt. Now I am incredibly embarrassed and frantically trying to cover up and get to the bathroom to feed the still crying baby as the wet spots on my chest are growing larger. Wouldn't it be a lot less distracting for me just to sit quietly somewhere and nurse the child under my nursing cover? I have no idea why anyone would think women do this for attention! Please! I can speak from experience when I say that every bit of stress including rude, gawking people, the feeling that you have to hurry up and get done, etc, makes it harder for that milk to let down, which frustrates the baby, and makes the whole process much more difficult. We are not looking for attention. Just trying to nourish our little ones. I have no idea what would be so offensive about a mother modestly feeding her child. It's just incomprehensible.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

Why is it "sick?" My kids have seen my boobs on occasion. I'm not all like shaking them in their faces or anything, but they live here and I don't like to shut the bathroom door when I'm here alone with them because I need to be able to hear them. So they've seen stuff. Who cares? They're little.

Whoah, where are these puritannical types from, the nineteenth century? Seriously, how can anyone think that the sight of a woman feeding her baby is 'sick', or that it would in any way harm a child to see another, smaller baby being fed?

Very, very odd attitudes.

I never said the sight of a woman feeding her baby is sick, I think my son seeing my breast would be sick. Certain parts of our bodies in my home are private.

I think breastfeeding is great, I did with both of mine but I covered up!
  • kimkat77
    Options
    Breasts are for feeding babies.

I LOVE THIS! I think many people lose sight of what breasts were made to do... As a first time mom, on the way home from the hospital, I had to breast feed my baby in the car (parked in a parking lot). When first born, your baby is hungry ALL the time! Why are we grilling the moms? Focus on the people staring and fine them for harrasment!
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's gross. Especially at restaurants.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

Exactly. I don't know why you would deliberately do something that made others uncomfortable. It is just to gain attention, the way PDA is just a way of getting attention. There are so many options that the whole "best for the baby" thing is not really a valid argument, it's more an issue of convenience/attention for the mom.

So you grabbing a sandwich is simply for attention too, right?

I don't know why I even bother to read responses from people whose brains have not evolved with their bodies, but I always bite...
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

Have you, personally, ever seen a breastfeeding woman with her boobs in public just hanging out all over the place?

I'm 35 years old, have witnessed probably a hundred or more women breastfeeding in public and not once have I actually seen even a millimeter of breast on any one of them.

Yes, I have. More than once.
  • rml_16
    Options

IMO it is gross, but that is just me! My kids are also a bit older 7 and 9 and I doubt my 7 year old wants to see his moms boob or any other private part. In our family certain body parts are private and they are taught to keep them private!

Doesn't anyone remember that awkward time where they heard their parents in the bedroom?? I do and wish I'd never experienced it.

I just think 7 and 9 is too young to be exposed to that type of thing. I would hope that because of this my daughter will keep her body private and not dress provocatively when she is a teenager. Maybe that is why some girls grow up thinking it is okay to have cleavage showing, they are not taught to keep certain body parts private.

When I was 7, I went on a walk with a friend to complete an errand for her mother. On the way back, it poured rain and I was very cold and wet when I got home. My father was in the bathtub (we didn't have a shower), so my mother had me get out of my cold, wet clothes and stick my feet into the hot bathtub water with my father, who was naked.

I am not the least bit traumatized by it. It was no big deal. It was NOT sexual (not the same as seeing or hearing your parents having sex). I saw both my parents and even my aunts, uncles and grandparents many times in various states of undress over the years.

As a teenager, I wore baggy, oversized T-shirts and sweaters all the time because I didn't want to show off my body. Not because I saw naked relatives but because I wasn't comfortable with the attention I got if clothing was too tight or too short. Seeing a breast doesn't cause a girl to dress like a tramp.

And, by the way, as her MOTHER, you can say no.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You know seeing as this has now split into a second thread I think it's a good time to mention that under groups there is Debatable Debating. Perfect for discussions such as these.

Enjoy arguing with strangers to pass the time? We've got a group for you!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

Yes, I have. More than once.

I'm sorry, but I have to call bull *kitten* on this. You are 10 years my junior, and I am a BF mom who has gone out in groups of other BF moms; I teach a BF class for WIC and have mom groups through WIC, and I have never even seen a mom just "flop it all out" there for all to see...

yeah. I just have to call bull *kitten*. sorry. Most moms are freaking terrified to even try to nurse in public because of moronic views like the ones you've read here... and you're saying that you just see people all over the place whipping them out there.... give me a break.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

When I was 7, I went on a walk with a friend to complete an errand for her mother. On the way back, it poured rain and I was very cold and wet when I got home. My father was in the bathtub (we didn't have a shower), so my mother had me get out of my cold, wet clothes and stick my feet into the hot bathtub water with my father, who was naked.

I am not the least bit traumatized by it. It was no big deal. It was NOT sexual (not the same as seeing or hearing your parents having sex). I saw both my parents and even my aunts, uncles and grandparents many times in various states of undress over the years.

As a teenager, I wore baggy, oversized T-shirts and sweaters all the time because I didn't want to show off my body. Not because I saw naked relatives but because I wasn't comfortable with the attention I got if clothing was too tight or too short. Seeing a breast doesn't cause a girl to dress like a tramp.

And, by the way, as her MOTHER, you can say no.

Yep. Part of the reason I'm ok with both my son and my daughter seeing me is that I want them to know what a real body looks like. I want my daughter to grow up knowing that most people don't look like models and that's ok. But even though they have seen me naked, in my underwear, etc., I also teach them what is appropriate and what is not. It's ok to be naked around familiy. It's not ok to get naked in the living room when we have guests. My daughter has some favorite leggings and a favorite shirt, and together it's not a good look, and I tell her so and I've told her why. I see no reason you can't teach modesty just because your kids have seen your boobs.