breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I am totally for women rights but this should put to the back burner.

you might think you are but what you write contradicts your claim.
  • fpueblo
    fpueblo Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I breast feed my eldest when she was a baby No one noticed because there is a way to do it discreetly but not every woman knows or can do it discreetly, but that's not the point. When your baby is hungry it doesn't matter where you are, you need to feed them. Asking a breast feeding woman to not feed her baby in public is just like asking a bottle feeding woman not to feed her baby in public. Would you dare to ask a woman not to give her baby a bottle when the baby is hungry just to ease you mind? I don't think you would.....
  • ilivia15
    Options
    The female body does amazing things from the moment a child is conceived throughout pregnancy and then continues after the baby is born... that is of course producing milk and being able to provide essential nutrients for that baby. Although I don't think women should just whip it out and expose it to the world, discreetly nursing a baby should be able to be done whenever and wherever necessary. The U.S. has sexualized the human body so much so that we forget that breasts were not put there purely for the enjoyment of men... Friggin' people here cant say the word "boobie" let alone see one without getting a rise, giggling, or getting offended... it's actually pretty ridiculous. If you visit other countries (no not just third world ones) women just pop em out and feed their babies anywhere, no blanket, no under the shirt, no shame and no one gives it a second thought.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed that there are some women admitting that their own kids haven't seen a woman's boob before. What, not even your own? very odd.
    Mom?!

hey baby boy, you coming round or some bitty later? :tongue:

http://youtu.be/AOfI48IWESo
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

To those who don't want to "have that conversation with their kids": not my problem if you can't figure out simply saying "she's feeding her baby" to your child.

Why should someone else’s behavior determine when my son sees his first breast? I'm sorry but my 7 year old does not need to see a breast while we are walking through the grocery store or shopping in target!

I'm all for it just be as discreet as possible!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Are BJ's okay in public? Sometimes I just need a quick shot of protein when I am hungry and cannot locate a private place.

Well, okay by me! We should make it a law and we should also force employers to accomodate us. And if anyone gives us a rude look they should get punched! Equal rights for all bodily functions, no matter who is around! If they find it offensive its THEIR problem. I'm sure the guys at NAMBLA would agree...no limits in a modern society.

WHOA is that offensive! And I'm not even a mother! But comparing breast feeding to bj's and pedophilia... :noway: That's just insane thinking.

For the dozenth time it's not sex. It's feeding a baby.

What's scary is that people out there actually do not understand the difference.

I suppose those of you who don't want to see breastfeeding in public also never go to art galleries.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    As a mother who breast feed I think its unnessary to do so in public. I think for you to throw your boobs around like hippy is your business but I dont wanna see it.

This has been something that YEARS people have protested against. Yes yes I get its natural. Yes I get all the crap your dishing out to say why we should allow it but its 2012 people get with the times. Keep your boobs in your bra while your doing your shopping.

And if you so intent on showing your boobs off than go to a nudist community and munch on some gronala.

I never once, got my boob out or had them out on show. Are you imagining someone just wapping one out? You can be VERY discreet without anyone seeing anything. If they are trying to look then what the hell, have a good look pervr. If you have issues with your own body or others then fine but soemtimes it is not convinent to go somewhere private and feed. There is no way I am feeding my child in a toilet.

Did I say to stuff your child in a toliet and breast feed?
    Uh no.

They are TONS of public restrooms that have benches in them or areas in them that you can have a private moment to breast feed. If women were so discreet about this it wouldnt be an issue.

I have no issue with my body or breast feeding I dont see the need to do so in public.

there arenot tons, there are 2 in my whole city which are usually full because people like you feel the need to get het up about something so trivial. I have never once seena woman with her breast fully out and even if I did, I think I am old enough and mature enough to handle it.

Okay well I apologize you live out in the country. How hard is it to feed your child BEFORE going into target? There is so many other things you can do. Not once did I breastfeed in public. If this was something that was so discreet there wouldnt be people who protest it.

I think as a society we shun women for wearing short skirts and men who were thongs to the beach but its okay for women to breast feed?

You actually have no idea, i live in a city ffs. Also my child fed nearly every hour, so you would expect me to have no social life so you don't have to try and look at my boobs?. You obviously have never breastfed. Oh wow, you have. I am shocked and saddened. Convo over.

My point is if women were so discreet with breast feeding in public this would not be an issue. Just because YOU do it that way doesnt mean every woman out there does.

Its not that I find it embarrassing or think anyone should be ashamed. I just find it undecent.
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Now man boobs, that's something that need covering up!
    nicholson+moobs.jpg

Hilarious. But I have to be honest, I saw the sandwich first and thought, I wonder what kind that is..

I saw the sandwich first too. Ahahaahahha
  • bclassie
    Options
    It's perfectly fine and acceptable to breastfeed in public. I did so with both my children and nary a breast was seen.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    WOW people are ignorant!! Its natural its a beatiful thing when a mother choses to breastfeed her child and if babys hungry they are hungry so yes its okay as long as its done tastefully. Thats why they make cover ups and all sorts of things for mommy to do. My friend just had a newborn and we where over there house and she just breastfed him right there in front of me and my husband but given we are parents and understand its a natural thing it was no big deal she had a blanket over her never saw anyting its a natural human thing ur body is supposed to do despite this generation of formual feed babys. Formula is all about convienece for mom (unless mom has health issues or trouble making milk i can relate to that) not about whats best for baby.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ive shown more boob in target when ive had to run in there dressed for a night out then ive seen from breast feeding moms,funny no one ever says a thing to me.
    And I would laugh my *kitten* of if I found out parents had to have a tough conversation with their children because i had my parts on display.But then again they were probobly trying to get past the dog collar and leash :laugh:
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    lame.

as long as the mother covers herself appropriately, there is zero issue here. kids need to eat. and it isn't in any way appropriate for people to expect them to FEED THEIR CHILD in, say, a public bathroom. if you don't wanna eat in there, why does the kid have to?

THANK YOU!!! You said exactly what I have been thinking this whole time...why would you feed a baby in a place covered in particles of feces (they have done studies on it people)! I would not eat food on in the bathroom or on the toilet so I wouldn't expect my child to either!

*** can't get quotes right***
    I also would not plop my butt down in the clothing aisle on the dirty nasty floor at Target and chow down.
    When there are other options like go to a dressing room which was offered or go to the perimeter out of the shopping lanes, there's no reason I can see to logically stay on the dirty floor in an aisle unless you are lazy or making a statement. I have a germ thing, sitting on that floor is icky - who knows who walked there and what they've stepped in.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    I'm amazed that there are some women admitting that their own kids haven't seen a woman's boob before. What, not even your own? very odd.

No my son has not seen my boob before (I breast fed but no kid ever remembers that)!! That is sick
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I have sat and read 8 pages of this thread, a lot of it ignorant people who only care about themselves and not the well being of a child. I would like to address ALL of them but obviously this is not possible so I'm going to address some in the last 2 pages.

1.whats wrong with out in the car?
    The most ignorant statement I've heard if I've ever heard one. Not everyone has a car dumbass. Majority of us Jamaicans don't.

2. Do what is natural to you, but you don't have to draw attention to yourself for an agenda (as many women in this new campaign for breastfeeding are doing).
    They wouldn't HAVE to do that if in the first place they weren't the target of snide remarks and ugly stares.

3. Actually, if it isn't done in public, it's none of anyone else's business. You do it in public, you make it everyone else's business.
    So if you pick YOUR nose in public, or chew with your mouth open at a restaurant it is now my business and I have the right to tell you to stop?

4. Formula fed babies don't have to take the extra supplements that breastfed babies have to because the formula really is PERFECTLY created for their nutritional needs. Also remember that whatever you ate during breastfeeding goes to your baby...so all that junk food that you ate....straight to the baby. Fantastic nutrition in those chips & cookies...too bad all that crap is missing from formula. PLEASE stop bashing moms who choose to bottle feed whether or not they ever tried breastfeeding! Another stupid comment that I really shouldn't be addressing but can't help.
    I EXCLUSIVELY breastfed and NEVER used SUPPLEMENTS. And if you think any formula is better than breast milk you need to go and do some more research. (And I don't mean the ones that the formula making companies endorse).

If I've come across as harsh, that's because I'm mad as hell about how stupid some people can be.

I am pretty sure I love you. :)

Sick of hearing about this subject. It seems to be brought up every few years when a mother gets a hair up her butt and decides to make an issue of it. Go to the bathroom, go to your car, there are plenty of places for mothers now-a-days to breast feed and doing it in a public forum is being rude and disrespectful to others. I'm guessing these women know when their baby is due to be fed so perhaps they should prepare better. Stop making a statement and move on with your life!!

Really? *rollseyes* Plan better for a baby who wants to eat every 15 minutes. yeah. I should just never go and run the errands that have to be done. Never drive my kids to school. Never go school supply shopping. Never take my kids to get new clothes. Or to the park for sunshine.

Get a freaking grip, people. They're JUST BOOBS. EVERY. MAMMAL. ON. THE. PLANET. HAS. THEM. Some even have like TEN of them! Jeeze Louise. They're just boobs... if you are so offended by them, then you shouldn't leave your house because the little teeny boppers bopping around the mall show more boob than I do when nursing my baby and giving him 100% usable nutrition.
    I'm a woman and I'm all for breastfeeding. I think they should throw a blanket over at least. I don't prefer to be walking through a store and see someone's breast hanging out.
    Seriously? Why is there this silly misconception that breastfeeding mothers go around flopping their boobs out at every opportunity? While there may be a few that have no discretion, MOST breastfeeding moms do so without anyone else knowing!

^that. Most women are not trying to flash everyone. They're only trying to accomplish one thing: feeding their baby and keeping that baby comfortable. Babies don't have alarm clocks. We can't set them before we leave so that they "come on" at a certain time (ie: after we return home). Not all moms can pump. Or freaking want to. Why should I let my baby cry at home so I can pump just because we might need to feed while we're out? DUH!

Are BJ's okay in public? Sometimes I just need a quick shot of protein when I am hungry and cannot locate a private place.

Well, okay by me! We should make it a law and we should also force employers to accomodate us. And if anyone gives us a rude look they should get punched! Equal rights for all bodily functions, no matter who is around! If they find it offensive its THEIR problem. I'm sure the guys at NAMBLA would agree...no limits in a modern society.

WHOA is that offensive! And I'm not even a mother! But comparing breast feeding to bj's and pedophilia... :noway: That's just insane thinking.

For the dozenth time it's not sex. It's feeding a baby.

^that. Only the MOST asinine OF the asinine even make comparisons like that. It's moronic at best to equate SEX and food.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I swore I'd stop replying to these message board threads but I couldn't resist! ha.

I breastfed my son for a year and my daughter for 9 months (In the process of weaning her at the moment)
    I've breastfed in public, but I prefer to do it in private because my babies get so distracted if I feed them in public! It gets really annoying to have them whip their head around every minute or so to look at all of the exciting things they hear. Sometimes a private place isn't an option though so I just do it in public. I don't really think twice about it though because IT'S NOT ABOUT ME. It is about my babies getting fed. So I feed them and then move on. (and I'm pretty discrete because, well, it's not about me, and the more skin I show the more I make it about me.)

HOWEVER, I get slightly annoyed by the women who do "nurse-ins" or whatever it is called. I mean I get that they are trying to make a point, and a big demonstration certainly does that, but I feel like it makes breastfeeding in public an issue when it shouldn't be an issue. When someone is picking on you, one of the best things to do is to ignore them. They will eventually stop. So if we, the breastfeeding mothers, do our thing and feed our babies when and where we need to do it, and ignore the handful of ignorant people who are picking on us, then those people will eventually realize that breastfeeding in public happens ,and it is not a big deal, and they need to get over it and find somewhere else to direct their negative energy.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

No my son has not seen my boob before (I breast fed but no kid ever remembers that)!! That is sick

Why is it "sick?" My kids have seen my boobs on occasion. I'm not all like shaking them in their faces or anything, but they live here and I don't like to shut the bathroom door when I'm here alone with them because I need to be able to hear them. So they've seen stuff. Who cares? They're little.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

To even compare a a BJ to breastfeeding is pathetic.

No Offense, but more like this thread is, and people with no snese of humor.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    As a mother who breast feed I think its unnessary to do so in public. I think for you to throw your boobs around like hippy is your business but I dont wanna see it.

This has been something that YEARS people have protested against. Yes yes I get its natural. Yes I get all the crap your dishing out to say why we should allow it but its 2012 people get with the times. Keep your boobs in your bra while your doing your shopping.

And if you so intent on showing your boobs off than go to a nudist community and munch on some gronala.

I never once, got my boob out or had them out on show. Are you imagining someone just wapping one out? You can be VERY discreet without anyone seeing anything. If they are trying to look then what the hell, have a good look pervr. If you have issues with your own body or others then fine but soemtimes it is not convinent to go somewhere private and feed. There is no way I am feeding my child in a toilet.

Did I say to stuff your child in a toliet and breast feed?
    Uh no.

They are TONS of public restrooms that have benches in them or areas in them that you can have a private moment to breast feed. If women were so discreet about this it wouldnt be an issue.

I have no issue with my body or breast feeding I dont see the need to do so in public.

there arenot tons, there are 2 in my whole city which are usually full because people like you feel the need to get het up about something so trivial. I have never once seena woman with her breast fully out and even if I did, I think I am old enough and mature enough to handle it.

Okay well I apologize you live out in the country. How hard is it to feed your child BEFORE going into target? There is so many other things you can do. Not once did I breastfeed in public. If this was something that was so discreet there wouldnt be people who protest it.

I think as a society we shun women for wearing short skirts and men who were thongs to the beach but its okay for women to breast feed?

You actually have no idea, i live in a city ffs. Also my child fed nearly every hour, so you would expect me to have no social life so you don't have to try and look at my boobs?. You obviously have never breastfed. Oh wow, you have. I am shocked and saddened. Convo over.

My point is if women were so discreet with breast feeding in public this would not be an issue. Just because YOU do it that way doesnt mean every woman out there does.

Its not that I find it embarrassing or think anyone should be ashamed. I just find it undecent.

A woman and baby don't have to be covered with a blanket or cover-up to be discreet...and yet I WAS completely covered the time that I was confronted the most agressively about feeding my child in public. I find many fashions and trends indecent...feeding a baby should be the least of our priorities.

The fact is that most women are exceedingly modest when nursing. We shouldn't paint all breastfeeding moms with the same broad brush...the same for those who choose or must use formula.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Why is it "sick?" My kids have seen my boobs on occasion. I'm not all like shaking them in their faces or anything, but they live here and I don't like to shut the bathroom door when I'm here alone with them because I need to be able to hear them. So they've seen stuff. Who cares? They're little.

Whoah, where are these puritannical types from, the nineteenth century? Seriously, how can anyone think that the sight of a woman feeding her baby is 'sick', or that it would in any way harm a child to see another, smaller baby being fed?

Very, very odd attitudes.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I breastfed when my son was hungry and sometimes that ended up being in public. There was NO WAY IN HELL I was going to cloister myself in a stinky bathroom to nurse him. If some pervy guy got his rocks off looking at my partially uncovered breast with a tiny baby attached to it, well, ewwww and I hope it was good for him. lol