Why are you fat???

Options

Replies

• sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until a few days ago that I realised what it was - it's the sugar I put in my tea. 2 heaped teaspoonfuls of sugar isn't 2tsp/8g/32 calories... It's 20g/5tsp/80calories.
    Oh, and the milk. it's not 20ml/12 calories of milk, it's more like 100ml/60 calories of milk.

Nearly 100 calories more per cup than I would have thought ... at 3-5 cups a day, it adds up REAL fast.
  • tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i have always had weight issues but have never been as heavy as I am now. i just started eating to fill time when I was bored, which I know is wrong. then i got sad about being overweight so I ate some more to cheer up. Not the smartest of ways to cheer up, but hey, I'm not perfect.
  • Myhighway2
    Options
    Married a great cook, I could not say no to. Had a car accident and am going to have back surgery to improve my ability to exercise. he also is a myfitnesspal now, and is on his way to cooking more healthier. Im so glad he joined this with me.
  • ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    Because I was eating too many sweets and carbs. Now I am trying to stick to a Semi-Vegetarian diet :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My obesity can be contributed to a number of things:

1) Genetics (family history of obesity goes back several generations on both sides)
    2) Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (diagnosed at age 16; go to this link for more info: http://women.webmd.com/tc/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-topic-overview )
    3) Slow Thyroid
    4) Years of "yo-yo" dieting
    5) Last, but not least, years of poor eating habits and lack of regular exercise
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I gained all of my excess fat post-menopause. My body changed but my habits didn't. I put on about 15 pounds a year for 6 years before I put the brakes on it!
  • Stylistntenn
    Options
    I love food. Plain and simple. I was brought up on sweet food, fried foods, fast food, all in double portions. My parents and family still eat that way. I don't enjoy working out. But I'm working on changing all of these factors so I can be a thinner, healthier me!
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow you had a lot going on!

Well, first I moved home and was less strict about what I was eating. Then I ran a race that ultimately blew out my knee and because in my warped world there was no other form of exercise than running, I just stopped doing anything. Began drinking more wine and eating more cheese (Put some Pinot and Brie in front of me and watch me go!) and not doing any exercise. My boyfriend at the time (now ex) didn't make me feel particularly attractive- not that he wasn't caring, but he wasn't interested in me intimately it felt like so I felt even worse about my body so spiral spiral spiral and that's how I reached my highest weight.

I always want to say my story of being overweight is complicated, but they boiled down to being unhappy.

BUT! Now my knee is better, my exercise mentality isn't all or nothing, and my current (and hopefully long long term!) boyfriend makes me feel very attractive and is supportive of me. I think all of these things came about from putting effort into liking myself and being more moderate about things. It is a struggle every day, but the struggle gets easier! Best wishes to all!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I was a size 4 back in my early 30's, then my life sort of crashed. Way too many things dropped on me all at once. I began to hate myself and then I started eating and didnt stop. Before I took aerobics, walked 5 miles a day and then it all stopped the day my life crashed at my feet. For the next 20 years I yo-yo dieted and gained more weight each time I quit. After 2 1/2 years of intense psychological therapy, I found me again. I exorcised my past and began to think about my future. And here I am since October 2011.
  • samanthasky
    samanthasky Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I like this thread. :)
  • Firewife18
    Firewife18 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i am over weight be cause i got pregnant at the age of 20 and tried to lose the weight but then i got pregnant again when i was 22 so the weight lose stopped for the time being and since i had my second son last year i have been trying to eat healthy and lose weight.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i felt invisible and didnt give a crap what i looked like,,thus I ate crap didnt exercise,,Met my now husband,, he loved me for what I was no how big or little i was... still didnt do anything about it... thought i was having a heart attack at 25..(esophageal spasm from reflux). SCARED ME INTO losing the flab and getting healthy
  • imstartingwithme
    imstartingwithme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was always a little tubby as a kid. I had a hard time at home and I also started to get bullied for being fat by some boys at school so I started comforting eating and hiding away when I got home. Over the years I got really depressed and comfort ate even more, then after two operations it just all got out of hand. Now I've finally found the strength to fight.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Physical issues: I was anemic for a while due to heavy periods - this made my eating go crazy as I was always tired and trying to wake up using sugar. Then I had a terribly difficult pregnancy (I have fibroids so I was very big very quickly) I couldnt walk for more than 15 mins without needing to sit due to intense pain in a vein. So I was more or less bedridden for about 4 months. Cue a huge loss of strength that I am still trying to get back.

Emotional issues: our daughter has special needs and I was been misery eating for over a year before mfp. Tiredness, feeling overwhelmed, unbelievable sadness, anger, no time at all to process any of what was happening. My husband got diagnosed with MS in the same period and I put on about 8 kilos in the space of about 3 weeks I just ate and ate and ate. Eating was the only release valve I felt I had left. I was reading Caitlin Moran's How to be a Woman and she writes about how overeating is a typically female way of having a breakdown without inconveniencing anyone else. I burst into tears because knew I needed help urgently or I was going to eat my way into an early grave.

Psychological issues: my x partner left me at a time when I was very fit and well - I looked bloody good. Our break up came out of the blue for me. I was deeply in love with this guy and devastated for a long time - we had been together for over a decade. His wife is a fair bit bigger than I was then. After meeting her I put on the kind of weight that makes me look like her in about 2 months (I realise this only in retrospect). Somewhere underneath I still think if I gte too thin/fit my partner will leave me. This reason is somewhere deep down and I think I will only confront it once I get near the weight I used to be when I was together with my ex.

God this is very honest but I think it helps to say it 'out loud' somewhere - even if it is just on here
  • thuy5
    thuy5 Posts: 22
    Options
    Working in a biscuit factory where you can eat as much as you like and frequently being too lazy to pack lunch, alas 6 months later 6 kgs mysteriously appeared on top of the post baby weight :-(
  • BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think it's because I don't really exercise anymore...

There would be days when my intake would be extremely low, and then days when I'd just binge! Doesn't work out well.
  • U2Amie
    U2Amie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's the story of my life. I've always been "chunky" or "chubby" as the family called it. For me, it mostly stems from eating. I live a pretty active lifestyle, meaning I love to go out, I do enjoy exercising, and I work 2 jobs and stay busy. But I always overeat, if you will. Whether it's grabbing seconds at dinner, eating out frequently, or sweets, I have the hardest time with control. I know that If I curve my eating, cut down, and grab other options, I see results (I did go from a women's size 15 pants/dress to a woman's size 10/8 pants/dress). But it plateaued, and I never stayed with the new habits. I want nothing but to really achieve a bikini style body, (flat stomach, toned arms & legs).
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    pretty simple I had two babies within 22months time and got very lazy while not watching my portions
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It's simple really... two reasons... I'm lazy and I'm a glutton... just like just about every other fat person..
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had always been underweight and never had to worry about how much I ate. I had a superfast metabolism so that I had to eat a lot so I didn't get sick. Then, I had three kids in 4 years and then got divorced. Spent a lot of time watching TV because it's easier than trying to cart three babies around to do stuff. Then I started eating out at restaurants a lot because it was easier than cooking and I work a lot of hours. My concept of portion size was total off, so I was eating 3 to 4 times the calories that I really needed. Thankfully I think my metabolism hasn't gone completely to pot or I would have weighed much more.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!