mini goal Mar 24 215 (anniversary)
    Other mini goal Mar 31 213

Daily challenges

Drink 6 glasses of water
    Eat fruit and veggies
    Be positive

Have a good day all

Heather

Good goals Heather. You can do it. We're here to help encourage everyone.
    Esther
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options

The Today show recently had a segment on why it's harder to lose weight at our ages. Turns out it's not the hormones (or lack thereof) associated with menopause; it's actually that our body composition is shifting to more fat, and fat burns calories slower than muscle. So, that's why we have to consume less calories than younger people (as verified by the BMI tool on this site). It's also important to do more strength training to build more muscle to burn more calories. It's great unless we have too many aches and pains to do that strecgth training!::laugh: What a vicious cycle.:grumble:
    At least we have some great company on this journey. Enjoy today and watch those calories and lift some weights!
    Zaza
    Thanks zaza. I didn't know that but it's good to know and to remember!
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Welcome pattygirl and smileygirl. And anyone else who is new to the thread. Sounds like we all can be and encouragement to one another but knowing that we can also be encouraged when we need it is great. Thanks to all of you for sharing your ups and downs.

Have a great day no matter whether the sun is out or the rains are falling. We can do this together.
    Esther
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    One more thing from the Today show for those of you at a plateau - the dr. on the show explained that the body gets used to a certain calorie level and exercise routine. To lose weight once you've reached a plateau, you need to consume even less calories and exercise harder, which means changing it up so that the body doesn't coast along in a familiar exercise routine. So try different exercise routines, pieces of equipment, sports, etc.
    I have to admit I'm reluctant to try too much because I'm afraid of hurting myself since that seems to happen very easily, even when I haven't done anything.:grumble: Nonetheless, I have to remind myself to change it up and consume less. So darn hard.:mad: i want to go snack right now. I guess I'll drink water - I'm adding that to my goals for March. More vegetables and more water.
    Take care everyone.
    Zaza
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone good luck with all you're challenges. I'm hoping to lose 5 pounds by the end of March. My goal is to continue working out on my lunch hour for 30 minutes 4 days a week and walking my dogs twice a day.

Pam
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Hope you are all doing well:flowerforyou:

I am staying motivated with my exercise routine getting lots of walking in (outside) and my workout DVD's. I try to spend about 70 minutes walking at a brisk pace. Today even though it was still chilly the sun was shining and I could see/feel spring all around me. As long as I can listen to my tunes on my MP3 player I feel like I could keep on walking:bigsmile:

My food intake is going along great as well. In particular I am trying to pay more attention to getting in extra vegetables and fruit.

Best wishes and cheers to all:drinker:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    About the plateau/calorie issue -
    I go to Curves & they have a nice meal & exercise plan.They recommend either a low fat or low carb diet (they have both) then after 2 weeks increase your allowance, then after 4 weeks increase again for a few weeks & then start all over. It's supposed to keep your body guessing & you never hit starvation mode.
    It's been pretty successful & the technique can be used with any meal plan.
  • sailgal
    sailgal Posts: 22
    Options
    Thank you Georg and Zaza-

I have been struggling trying to reconcile eating my exercise calories with a weight that won't budge. Both of your suggestions make so much sense to me. I do think that weight loss after a certain age has a slightly different set of rules than weight loss did when I was in my 20s and 30s.

My inability to get the scale moving has coincided with the addition of non-fat yogurt to my diet. I had not been eating any dairy but added it back in for the protein and calcium. Lately I've seen several posts about women over 50 and the tendency to store dairy products as belly fat - YIKES - I certainly don't need that!

Thanks for all the great posts and support!

Cindy
  • zaza54
    Options
    Georg- thanks! Very helpful info. I think at our age we need all the help/suggestions. Now, if only I had the discipline that healthier4me has I'd be in good shape!:laugh: I'll just have to keep you in mind all day long. Thanks everyone for being here. Have a great day.
    Zaza
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Hope you are all doing well:flowerforyou:

I am staying motivated with my exercise routine getting lots of walking in (outside) and my workout DVD's. I try to spend about 70 minutes walking at a brisk pace. Today even though it was still chilly the sun was shining and I could see/feel spring all around me. As long as I can listen to my tunes on my MP3 player I feel like I could keep on walking:bigsmile:

My food intake is going along great as well. In particular I am trying to pay more attention to getting in extra vegetables and fruit.

Best wishes and cheers to all:drinker:

My hubby went to the gym again with me. He on the elliptical and me on the ark. Feels so good when I'm finished. At first I seem like I'm never going to make it. Then 10 minutes in I'm like a crazy women. I did a little more then an hour (710 calories). Tomorrow I will do some weight training also. My belly needs work.

:flowerforyou: Sailgal: I drank a lot of milk and ate a lot of ice cream before. Maybe that is why I have my belly? :explode:

Hope EVERYONE has a great day.

Thanks Healthier4me for the motivation and to :flowerforyou: ALL THE LADIES:flowerforyou: that are on this thread.

ZaZa,:flowerforyou: YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

We can be Fabulous in our 50's

I'm working on it. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Kathy
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    HELLO EVERYONE! I'm so thankful to have found you all here at MFP. Just reading about everyone else's successes and challenges helps me tremendously.... not to mention I need accountability.

Today instead of my usual workout I met all my sister-in-laws and we deep cleaned our husband's mother's house. I was really surprised when I calculated how many calories I burned climbing up and down on the ladder washing the kitchen cabinets and cleaning out the fridge. So now not only does my MiL have a sparkling house, from top to bottom, but I burned enough calories to treat myself to a steak tonight instead of my usual chicken or fish!

According to the scale I only lost one pound this week. But the way I look at it any downward movement is a huge success! The best part of today was when my SiL ( who hadn't seen me for two weeks) said, "Girl you look like you've been losing weight!" Made my day. THAT made it so much easier to say no to the donuts and chips everyone else was eating and reach for an apple instead.

152798.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I guess I should be cleaning my house to burn all those calories but the exercise bike in front of the TV keeps calling to me. I had a great time at line dance this morning. We're doing a lot of lively Irish dances for the month of March and the pace is fast. I'm getting inspired by the Clean Eating Club and the organic eaters so we went out today and bought some organic foods and took another baby step toward being healthier along with being thinner.

I still weigh myself all the time but haven't recorded a new weight even though I've lost because I want to wait til March 31 and only record what happened for the whole month. that will take some discipline I'm not sure that I have.:bigsmile:

Best wishes to all for a healthy fit day.:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :smile: :happy:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I bet you burned just about as many calorires :bigsmile: jigging :bigsmile: as I did deep cleaning! It had to be more fun!!!
    I guess I should be cleaning my house to burn all those calories but the exercise bike in front of the TV keeps calling to me. I had a great time at line dance this morning. We're doing a lot of lively Irish dances for the month of March and the pace is fast.
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Jig dancing & house cleaning. Way to go!!!!!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Good Morning all,

Well, its Friday. and the weather is going to be in the 60's tomorrow. I am sure happy about that. I think I have my work-out buddy. My husband, this is a big deal because he works the midnight shift and he would get home he would get ready to sleep, as I am going out the door for my morning drive. But, now he waits for me to come home, which is 2 hours later, to go to the gym. He says he gets motivated watching how hard I work out. Well, I am trying anyway. He really does not need to lose just maintain.

This is a big deal for me. When I was younger I was always the active person. We ran together, danced, and love the out doors. Then, personal family problems got in the way. His constantly changing shifts and days off to climb the ladder in corrections. He was also a member of the National Guard for twenty-one years. So, I was alone a lot and I just gave up. Thank God, I had a strong close family. Now, I am building my life back to a happy state, and loving it. I do get down, but when I log onto this site I seem to get out of it so much easier. I find that I am not the only person having problems and struggling to have a healthy life style. I love my new exercise buddy.:flowerforyou:

So thanks to you all for the warm and wonderful support you bring.

Ok, enough of that mushy stuff.

Have a great Morning.

Kathy:heart:
  • zaza54
    Options
    Kathy,
  • zaza54
    Options
    Kathy,
    I seem to be having technological challenges this morning. I just wanted to say that I found your post inspirational. It is so positive and motivating.:flowerforyou:
    Keep up the great work and attitude!
    Zaza
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning everyone

Friday Yay!!

This weekend will be busy for me as usual but I do have plans with a couple of girlfriends Sat night
    Just going to a play and maybe a bite to eat but out is out!! I'm going to hop on the scale in the morning to check if I have made any progress. I sure hope so. I won't be on until Monday so I hope to have good news. I'll be happy with 2-3 lbs gone. Actually I'll be happy if I don't gain!! Stayed within my cals yesterday and drank only half my water goal but its coming. Another small goal for the weekend for me is to plan meals for five days and do the shopping for that. Planning makes all the difference to me. Otherwise I'm grabbing whatever is handy and its not always the best choice.

Have a good weekend ladies
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I'm exhausted today after yesterday's cleaning marathon! There was NOTHING in me that wanted to even get out of the bed this morning. I finally dragged myself to the treadmill by mid-morning but only managed to do 20 minutes and not at my usual pace. Reckon I overdid it yesterday?

Good news is I was also too tired to be very interested in food, so when I met hubby and friends for lunch I was only able to eat about half.

Anybody else have something like this happen to them?

152798.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Susan,

I would have been exhausted too, after a MARATHON of house cleaning. You did great getting on your treadmill. I have to push myself to work out at times.

Can't say I ever lost interest in eating though. :bigsmile: .

Eating only HALF. :flowerforyou: That is a good thing for you. Only half is great. I am still working on that. I have done it though. But, not every time we go out. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I do make better choices.

ZaZa; :flowerforyou: My no eating after 9:00 p.m. on week-ends are going to be a true challenge.

Have a great day all.

Kathy