50+ Women for the Month of March

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, everyone,
    I learned my own lesson about overdoing. It was a beautiful day :bigsmile: so the dogs had a nice walk on the hill followed by breakfast and 20 minutes at the dog park (they ran, I walked) followed by a shower and two hours of line dancing. I came home and walked the dogs again and got on the exercise bike (weight loss level two). That was way over the top for me and after 10 minutes I got off and went off to do something seated before heading to the kitchen to cook.

My energy level is high:bigsmile: but I'm still not Superwoman.:sad:

Restaurants are my downfall so I am currently operating under a policy of no eating in restaurants. There's always a group from line dance going out to lunch on Fridays and I'm very proud of myself for declining the invitations. Keeping to my plan is more important to me right now than pleasing my friends.:flowerforyou:
  • Penny46
    Penny46 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello, I am new to all this.
    I am heading for 63, on my 62nd birthday I had a stent put in my LAD and after that lost 30# out of fear of dying I think, just used portion control and cut fat and sugar. I am also diabetic type 2.
    in Oct I came to a standstill but in the last month have gained 4# so need some motivation.
    Glad that spring is here so I can get out more and move. Wanted to be at 175 by May 10 but at 195 now so doubt that.
    Will hopefully get some motivation from this site.
    Penny
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Welcome, Penny,

This is a great group. MFP is a great site for getting all the support and information you need to reach your goal. I've been logging my food and exercise every day for almost a month and it's made a huge difference. I started this journey in January and I take it one day at a time with baby steps. I don't try to change everything at once.

good luck on your journey:bigsmile:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou: Penny,

As, :flowerforyou: Barbie said this is a great site. lots and lots of great people with all kinds of information. I love the support. I log in my food everyday. Sometimes when I'm really good I plan for the week. I find this helpful. It is easy having the food log. I love seeing how many calories certain foods are. It really gives you a perspective on what you should eat. A big eye opener.

Breaking habits is hard. Never mind with putting in everyday stress with it. This is a great place to find supportive friends.

Welcome and Happy New Life Style Journey. Stick with this and you will feel great!

:flowerforyou: Kathy
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Going with my sister today to work out.

Have a great morning. It is beautiful out hear in MA.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Welcome Penny and good morning to all my other friends here-
    You ladies are something else - I can't believe the energy levels. Susan and barbiecat, I'm exhausted just reading what you've been doing.:laugh: Like plantlady, I , too, never have trouble eating.:grumble: Oh well, we've got to keep a sense of humor about everything, especially these days. I feel like it's a thin line between hysteria and humor given the current state of the world and economy .

Well, I can compartmentalize and , for now, I am going to enjoy having my baby home from college. Of course, I'm going to spend all day worrying about the older two (and their cousin who's visiting from Europe) surviving the Hoboken, NJ St. Patrick's Day parade today.:grumble: I'm sure they won't be feeling grand tomrrow when I see them for dinner.:laugh:

Anyway, have a wonderful week-end. Spring is finally in the air.
    Zaza
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :heart:
    Good Morning, Kathy, Zaza, Penny, Sue,and everybody else,

Today will be a lighter workout day. We have to go to Seattle for a long afternoon meeting. We have our midday meal planned and ready to go in the cooler. We can eat our lunch on the ferry, have a few snacks from the cooler at the meeting or on the ferry coming home and then a light meal when we get home.

We told the pet sitter and her boyfriend to bring their own food because we no longer have pop and snacks in our house for them. We'll pay them a little more since we're not providing lunch.

I am reminded of inspirational speaker at my friend's TOPS meeting who said, "If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail".

There is snow predicted here and Seattle.:bigsmile:

Happy to everyone, especially those of you who go to work all week.:heart::bigsmile:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    May I brag a little?
    :wink:
    I've been busy preparing lunch for a swim meet. There will be 15 swim teams with 2-3 coaches each competing at the local high school. Since my kids were swimmers years ago I've prepared lunch for all the coaches, officials & volunteer timers. I bring sliced turkey, ham & roast beef, cheeses, whole grain bread, homemade pasta salad, green salad & raw veggies.
    When I did it as a parent, we were all so busy & wanted to watch our kids. If I do it now, it frees up parents to do the other stuff & enjoy the meet a little more. I can do it for less than $4 each by putting it together myself, so it saves the school some money, too.
    If the officials weren't served a quick lunch onsite between events, they would have to send out for fast food down the street. They have practiced those students all week, will be traveling on the buses before daybreak to get here & sit out in the sun/weather all day ...the least I can do is donate a little healthy lunch. I always tell them I'd rather make their lunch than do what they do! wink
    I made the salads last night, the veggies are cut up. This morning I'll arrange the meats & cheeses.
    The coaches all appreciate it so - they hug me each year as they leave & some tell me they come just for the lunch!
    :blushing:
    Those of us who have more time on our hands should help pick up the slack for the ones who are running around with their kids - we know just how they feel.
    :wink:

That's my soapbox for the day.
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, everyone,
    I learned my own lesson about overdoing. It was a beautiful day :bigsmile: so the dogs had a nice walk on the hill followed by breakfast and 20 minutes at the dog park (they ran, I walked) followed by a shower and two hours of line dancing. I came home and walked the dogs again and got on the exercise bike (weight loss level two). That was way over the top for me and after 10 minutes I got off and went off to do something seated before heading to the kitchen to cook.

My energy level is high:bigsmile: but I'm still not Superwoman.:sad:

Restaurants are my downfall so I am currently operating under a policy of no eating in restaurants. There's always a group from line dance going out to lunch on Fridays and I'm very proud of myself for declining the invitations. Keeping to my plan is more important to me right now than pleasing my friends.:flowerforyou:
    My goodness girl!!! I think that would be overdoing. Where are you located? I noticed on your profile it said Washington - I'm in Salem, Oregon. I would love to get into line dancing or something fun to work off calories but don't want to go by myself.
    Esther
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Good morning all. I stepped on the scales this morning and WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOO...I'm down another 2#. I feel inspired. But....I will feel more inspired when my clothes feel loose!

Some advice I read that I'd like to share is this ... don't look at the whole picture, look at what you want to accomplish each week rather than in 6 months. I want to lose between 1 - 3 pounds each week and I'll be happy at the end if it averages out to 1-2 throughout the 12 weeks that I want to lose 15. Then by the middle of summer I want to have lost 20...but for now I just want to lose at least 1 pound a week. It helps me to not be overwhelmed.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Stay focused and drink that water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Esther
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Hi all What a great day everyone is having. Everyone is so inspirational. I really want to comment on everyones input but I need to get moving on my house work.

I just love reading the thread.

:flowerforyou: Georg: What a nice and healthy gift you are giving the swim team.

:flowerforyou: Barbie way to go on making lunches also.

I will have to work on that this spring and summer when I hop on the back of my husbands motorcycle and want to head to a restaurant.. I will have to challenge myself to pack a lunch and just site by the ocean instead of eating out then sitting. :indifferent: :grumble: :tongue:

:flowerforyou: Gramm Congrats on your weight loss.

:flowerforyou: Zaza have fun with your son's

Oh, now for the bad part. I am going out to dinner with my hubby and parents tonight. OMG another challenge. I will make healthy choices, I will make healthy choices.

Chat soon

:flowerforyou: Kathy

P.S. Also:flowerforyou: Swissmis had her surgery and is feeling really down. Shout out to her also.

Now I have to go do some living.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    ditto on everything kathy said. We certainly have some very nice women here. How lucky are we?! Swissmiss, hope you are recovering well.
    have a great week-end all.
    zaza
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    TODAY has been one of those days that I did good to just maintain. I won't bore you with details... I didn't exercise and went over my calorie goal by 142. At least I didn't exceed my BMR! I started not to report in at all since I had nothing uplifiting to tell. But in the interest of accountability I decided not to hide my lack of motivation or action.
  • sailgal
    sailgal Posts: 22
    Options
    I think that there is a small possibility that I may have lost about half a pound this week. I'll see what the fickle scale says tomorrow! I did measure my hips (where the weight always comes off last) and they are down half an inch so even though the scale has been permanently frozen, the exercise is helping to tone me.

I went to my spin class on Friday and the kind, sweet person who usually teaches it was out and the guy who is infamous for making spin really, really challenging was there in her place. The usual teacher takes at least ten minutes to warm-up and uses the last ten minutes of the class to cool down and stretch. The substitute got us on the the bike and off we went! (we were on our own for the cool down) We were out of our seats for most of the time and it was tough but I didn't quit and was able to stay with him. I am thrilled and much more willing to try another class now that I know I can do it.

I never thought that I would be happy to report a weight loss of part of a pound - but I am. I hope that everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend. Feel better soon, Swiss Miss.

Cindy
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Here's hoping everyone here has a stress-free, plenty-of-time-to-work-out, healthy week!
    :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Ladyleo
    Ladyleo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It is so nice to have a site to go where everyone is over 50 and has the same goal to lose weight.:flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: I meant to write this early in the day. I was inspired by Georg's story about making lunch for the swim people. What a great thing to do. It showed so much about gratitude (doing something for someone else to express your gratitude to the others who did for you), concern for others, showing gratitude for what you have by giving to others, setting a good example for young people. It was inspirational. Thank you for sharing it.

Our trip to Seattle on Saturday had its highs and lows. I had time in the morning to walk the dogs on the hill, go to the dog park for 30 minutes, and ride the exercise bike for 20 minutes while my husband went to pick up the pet sitters. We told them to bring their own food because we don't keep snacks and goodies and pop in our house any more. We got to the ferry right on time. We ate the lunch we packed and it was great
    no more pretzels and fast food on the ferry. we found where we were going with no trouble. we were happy to ignore the chips and cookies that were served and ate the apple and carrots that we brought. We found the ferry without getting lost, I walked for 20 minutes in the passenger cabin, and all was well until we got off the ferry and drove into a blizzard of snow, hail, and high wind that stayed with us for 40 miles in the dark. We thanked God and our good tires for a safe trip.:flowerforyou: :heart: There was still time before bed for the exercise bike and TV.

congrats to everyone on their weight loss. I am staying away from the scale---can I do it for a whole month????? I continue to work on my goals which reminds me that I haven't done some of my weight training stuff yet, so I'd better get busy.

Enjoy your week and stay with your healthy living.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sailgal
    sailgal Posts: 22
    Options
    WOW - Barbie Cat - we had such mild weather here on the east coast that I didn't pay attention to the weather in other parts of the country. I am so impressed that after such a terrible trip home you still took time to exercise....I think I would have had a cup of tea (or something stronger) and gone to bed! Nice work!

I am down a pound this morning. I looked at my stomach last night before I went to bed and thought about how flabby I looked but after weighing myself this morning, my stomach looked so much better. It is amazing how much that number on the scale influences the way we view ourselves.

I'm off to get blood draw for annual testing - I'm hoping to see some nice changes.

Enjoy the day-

Cindy
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning all

Hope your feeling better SwissMiss Surgery is no picnic.
    Remember to take it slow for a few days.
    The weekend was okay for me. I weighed in on Sat morning and lost 4 lbs. Still trying to make 9 more disappear by the end of March. I'm happy about the loss but they are pounds I have lost several times before:laugh:
    I planned our dinners for the week so I should be on track, Now to stop picking here and there in the evenings.

This week I will:
    Drink 6 waters
    eat fruit and veggies
    walk for one hour 3 times
    do a little dvd workout 3 times
    Remember what I said I would do and do it!!!!

Have a great day.

Heather
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm feeling under the weather this morning. Trying to fight off any bugs that may be going around. Drinking the water, popping the Vitamin C's and drinking the Airborn. Hope I don't get that full blown bug that takes 2 weeks to get over:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Have a great day,
    Esther