Fit, Fabulous and Pregnant - January 2012

Options
Welcome everyone!

This forum is for women who are pregnant and are maintaining their fit and active lifestyles to join with other like minded women! Heatherchrist started this thread and recently had a baby girl so I'll be taking over the next couple months untill mine comes. "I've been on a board with women who were trying to conceive and I've been on a board with women who are pregnant....I wanted to start a group of women who are into fitness and will continue their fitness regimes into their pregnancies and after baby!" -Heather

If you are trying to conceive please join our sister group at:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/381748-fit-for-future-families-november-2011

They are beyond wonderful and will keep you motivated to stay healthy and lots of info to help with the ttc journey.

The women here are very motivational to each other. We are all at different stages of our pregnancy so if you just found out or you are at the end, please join us!

Link to our previous thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/382035-fit-fabulous-and-pregnant-november-2011

"Just as a friendly reminder....this board is for women who are continuing with their fitness/health goals throughout their pregnancy...I'd love for every week all of us to put up either our weekly goals or daily goals to keep ourselves and each other accountable! I wanna hear about your sweat sessions and any new things you are trying (like a new yoga dvd, a new cardio class, or a swim rather than a hike, etc). There are lots of pregnancy boards out there but this one in particular is to keep each other motivated to lift those weights, do that warrior pose, shake your bums, run that extra mile, and hike that hill! Think about the goals you'd like to strive for yourself for the upcoming week. So feed those bodies/babies yummy healthy meals, drink that water, find time to destress and relax, and prepare for the sweat sessions that will occur this week!"

FAQ:
How many calories should I be eating?
During the first trimester most of us eat maintenance calories and most of our exercise calories. During the second and third trimester we add approx 200-300 calories or set it up on MFP to gain 1/2lb a week. If you are a healthy BMI you should gain between 25-35ish pounds. NOBODY should DIET while pregnant. Eating healthy is one thing, but depriving you and your baby of much needed nutrients during this crucial time is so very important!

Should I keep my heart rate under 140 during pregnancy?
"If you exercised regularly before pregnancy, there's no need to focus on your heart rate for exercise during pregnancy.

Years ago, some experts recommended a heart rate of no more than 140 beats a minute for exercise during pregnancy. Today, however, heart rate limits aren't typically imposed during pregnancy. For healthy women, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity — preferably spread throughout the week — without any specific heart rate limits.

Still, reasonable precautions for exercise during pregnancy are important. Get your health care provider's OK for any exercise during pregnancy — especially if you have a history of preterm labor or certain medical conditions, such as high blood pressure. Also, be careful to pace yourself appropriately. In general, you should be able to carry on a conversation while you're exercising. If you can't speak normally while you're working out, you're probably pushing yourself too hard. This could lead to vaginal bleeding, uterine contractions or other problems." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-during-pregnancy/AN01560

Great articles and reference material for why it is so important to continue working out during your pregnancy!

http://www.fitpregnancy.com/workouts/prenatal-workouts/truth-about-prenatal-exercise
http://www.fitpregnancy.com/workouts/prenatal-workouts/33-reasons-exercise-now
http://www.baby2see.com/pregnancy_weight_calculator.html

Replies

• Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    The board has gotten really busy, so please take a minute to check in and tell us about yourself!

Name: Ashley
    Hubby/Partner: Eric
    How many kids do you have: This is our 1st
    Due Date: January 25, 2012
    How far along are you: 36 Weeks 2 Days (Due date refelcts a couple days beyong that)
    Do you know the gender: Girl
    Babies Name: It's a secret
    Where do you live (if you want to share): Louisville KY
    Workouts you are doing while pregnant: Walking and pre-natal yoga. I was running some but haven't in a few weeks. I shoot for light strength training weekly, but that has also not happened in a couple weeks
    Anything else you'd like to share: I was measuring small at my last appointment so get another ultrasound on Wednesday!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Happy New Year Mamas! Quick update on me. We've had a productive weekend. We finished our Target registry out on Friday, got some second hand baby stuff, and washed all of the baby girl's clothes, blankets, swing/seat upholstery, etc. and put away. OMG baby clothes loads of laundry take forever to fold! We were going to go to Babies R Us today to finish getting the last of the stuff, but I just don't feel like it. My throat started getting sore yesterday and I'm not feeling excellent. We went to the coffee shop this morning and I did my grocery shopping and I think I'm vegging until we have to go to my in-laws for NYD dinner.

I'm feeling good about being mostly ready for the baby. After my last appointment I was having a lot of pressure and some cramping and thought maybe she was going to come early, but that has all stopped and I feel like I am nowhere close to delivery. Now think maybe I may go late. Most likely as this is my first. I was able to get my appointment chagned so I get to see a dr. right after our ultrasound on Wednesday. I can't wait. The baby has been moving and everything, but now that I know we're having a second ultrasound b/c she may be small, I can't wait to ensure everything is OK. I'm still doing really well from a comfort level; no pain or anything really and I'm still able to get around pretty well.

My eating has been mediocre over the holidays and my workouts less than desired this week. I hope next week to spend some time on the treadmill/walking outside and do yoga a couple days. I did mostly yoga last week and my back has thanked me for it. I also had a massage on Friday which was really nice.

Well I hope you are all having a great 2012 so far and hope you all have a great week!

-Ashley
    36 weeks, 2 days
    EDD 1/25/12
    26 pounds gained
  • racevez
    Options
    Name: Rena
    Hubby/Partner: Hugo
    How many kids do you have: Three
    Due Date: September 9, 2012
    How far along are you: 4 weeks .... found out this morning!!
    Do you know the gender: No
    Babies Name: TBD
    Where do you live (if you want to share): Tustin CA
    Workouts you are doing while pregnant: Walking, Circuit...planning to get doctor approval at first OB appt.
    Anything else you'd like to share: Found out this morning...guess we know what we're doing in 2012!!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Bump

Wishing all of my fit and fabulous pregnant friends a very happy 2012!!!
  • monky13grl
    monky13grl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am so glad I found this thread. I have been on this site since last year and lost almost 40 pounds for my wedding. I then got pregnant on my honeymoon and got upset when I realized that there was no pregnancy setting. I stopped counting calories and started just eating healthy and whole foods- even if that meant adding calories. It was going REALLY well - I have learned a lot being on this site (until the holidays, but I'm not too worried about the extra 4 lbs I gained then- although I plan on being more careful now). However, my husband put almost all his weight on as he has been trying to keep up with me :(. He wanted to start dieting again, and I wanted to get back on to help him out (and keep myself accountable). I plan on trying on only gain 25-30 lbs for this pregnancy. It would be great to have some others to get support from.

Name: Mel
    Hubby/Partner: Matt
    Due Date: May 20, 2012
    How far along are you: 20 weeks, 1 day
    Do you know the gender: Boy
    Babies Name: Marcus
    Where do you live (if you want to share): Woodbridge, VA
    Workouts you are doing while pregnant: Walking and pre-natal yoga (although I was not so great about my workouts during the holidays).
    Anything else you'd like to share: Because of my holiday weight, I am trying to maintain for a few weeks or just gain a little less. So far, I am feeling great and am so thankful I got in shape before I got pregnant.
  • yahyamommy
    yahyamommy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Name: UmmeYahya
    Hubby/Partner: Az
    Due Date: July 7, 2012
    How far along are you: 13 weeks, 1 day
    Babies Name: Nick name DDB
    Workouts you are doing while pregnant: Gearing myself for yoga, pilates and walk
  • Lindz8afish
    Lindz8afish Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Name: Lindsay
    Hubby/Partner: Zack
    How many kids do you have: One human child, Lukas and one dog child Roxy :)
    Due Date: July 14th, 2012
    How far along are you: 12 weeks
    Do you know the gender: Not yet
    Babies Name: TBD
    Where do you live (if you want to share): Lansing MI
    Workouts you are doing while pregnant: Was walking, doing prenatal yoga and some light strength training. Currently on bed rest, hoping to come off it January 3rd!!!!
    Anything else you'd like to share: Looking forward to having a group to help keep me accountable and help keep them accountable. Just because we're pregnant doesn't mean we have to eat twice as much :)
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Wow, we're not only in another month but a WHOLE new YEAR!!!

Name: Denise
    Hubby/Partner: Arthur
    Due Date: March 12, 2012
    How far along are you: 30 Weeks today!
    Babies Name: We've tossed around a few but I'm not sure it's concrete (yet)
    Where do you live (if you want to share): Dallas, TX
    Workouts you are doing while pregnant: Was just released from my restriction to work out in my 3rd trimester. Been doing Prenatal Yoga :heart: & 10 minute pilates. Due to the holidays and hte OT at work, it hasn't happened in a couple weeks :embarassed:
    Anything else you'd like to share: Going in for my 4th Gestational diabetes exam tomorrow - everyone that has been with me since the beginning knows that I've been having issues with this (so it's nothing new.) And due to the shape of my pelvis & my birth canal we opted to have a scheduled C-Section.

Goals for the week:
    Water intake (been doing well)
    Veggies (not so hot)
    More activity!! Either walking Neena outdoors or working out
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Name: Cindy
    Hubby/Partner: Aaron
    How many kids do you have: This will be our first
    Due Date: March 15th 2012
    How far along are you: 29 weeks 4 days
    Babies Name: Kaiden
    Where do you live (if you want to share): Anchorage, AK
    Workouts you are doing while pregnant: Walking
    Anything else you'd like to share: After 2 miscarriages and 4 years of infertility, we are so excited to meet our little man. This has been a roller coaster pregnancy with scares due to blood clots in my placenta and now gestational diabetes. We are handling everything extremely well and doing very well right now.

Cindy
    29wks4day
    12lbs gained
  • mama_corn
    Options
    Name: Stephanie
    Hubby/Partner: Corbin
    How many kids do you have: We have one very busy 2 1/2 year old boy
    Due Date: March 10th, 2012
    How far along are you: 30 weeks
    Do you know the gender: Girl
    Babies Name: Charlotte
    Where do you live (if you want to share): CA
    Workouts you are doing while pregnant: Walking & stretching a lot
    Anything else you'd like to share: This pregnancy has been the complete opposite from my son and I just found out I have to go in for the 3 hour glucose test. I'm not too worried about it because I've maintained a healthy weight gain during this pregnancy.

I'm glad I found this thread! Happy New Years!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Name: Kelly
    Hubby/Partner: Bret
    How many kids do you have: 1, nearly 2 year old daughter
    Due Date: August 25, 2012
    How far along are you: 6 weeks
    Do you know the gender: Nope, too early
    Babies Name: A few pick out but we are going to keep it a secret
    Where do you live (if you want to share): Modesto, CA
    Workouts you are doing while pregnant: Spin, Turbo Kick, Weight Lifting & Yoga
    Anything else you'd like to share: Viability u/s on the 16th
  • paulandrea
    paulandrea Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year beautiful mom's to be :)
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Today was park day, we (inlaws & us) took the kids to the park to get away from all the tech addiciton i.e Ipods, Wii, Xbox's. I managed to walk the past two days but felt like my uterus would fall out any minute. Whoa! Must be because she's very low.

The holidays have been great, I am ready to finally start putting the dresser together so I can put all the clothes in it. The babyshower my friends are hosting is next Saturday at 3pm. I'm excited!!

Welcome to all the new mommies!

Well Happy New Year 2012 to all and may our babies be healthy!

~Brenda~31wks 5dys Yay entering 8th month :smile:
  • ElizabethJ17
    ElizabethJ17 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi All-
    So on Friday December 30th my contractions were about every 5 minutes from each other. We decided to head in and see what the hospital had to say. I had been 3cm dilated and 50% effaced at my last appt on that Monday. To my dissapointment when I arrived I was still only at 3 cm. The hospital only admitd at 4cm. So they had me walk around a while and also had a few different nurses check my cervix for accuracy. The charge nurse decided that I was actually borderline 4cm and they admitted me since I was having consistent contractions. After being brought to my room they encouraged us to walk around for a bit. After being checked and having my iv started for group b strep the dr broke my bag of waters. Wow was that an interesting feeling! After walking around some more I dilated tp 6cm but unfortunately stalled so they said they wanted to star pitocin. At this time O requested some pain medications and received fentanyl. This allowed some pain relief and I was able to nap for about an hour. After I woke up I realized very quickly it had all wore off and I was gripping the railing of my hospital bed fpr dear life as the contractiond got closer and harder. The nurse asked me to get up and use the restroom after which she had me sign a consent form for the epidural and had me lay back down in bed. As soon as I layed down I felt an incredible urge to push and told the nurse I thought I was going to die. Which was a bit dramatic lol. They quickly called the dr into the room and a few other nurses piled in. I was pushing for about 15 minutes 3 or 4 good pushes and out came our beautiful little girl Madison Rose weighing 8 lbs 5oz and 20 3/4 inches long. We had gone to the hospital at 5 am and we delivered at 6:12pm. Miss Madison decided to come so fast I unfortunately did not get an epidural. What an interesting experience that was!
  • ElizabethJ17
    ElizabethJ17 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Please forgive any grammatical errors or the horrible flow to the story. We are all a bit sleep deprived at our household.
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Moving over to the other board but still want to keep updated with you all. Happy New Year!!!

Hannah Marie Born December 26, 2011 @ 12:53am at 41 Weeks
    8 lbs 4 oz, 20.5 inches

~Nichole

Congratulations ElizabethJ17! I'm jealous of your natural birth. I was the opposite. I wanted a totally natural birth but ended up in the end to have to get a c-section.
  • amkgraham
    Options
    Hello all! We just found out New Year's Eve morning that we're pregnant with our second child! And thought I'd join this thread so that I could get to know other women that are also committed to remaining fit and healthy during their pregnancy. During my first pregnancy I gained a lot of weight and was not healthy. Over the past 2 years since I had William, I have lost 111 pounds. I am choosing to do things differently this time! For me...our baby and my family!

Name: Addie
    Hubby/Partner: Drew
    How many kids do you have: This is our 2nd
    Due Date: September 12, 2012
    How far along are you: 4 weeks
    Babies Name: No
    Where do you live (if you want to share): Sioux Falls, SD
    Workouts you are doing while pregnant: Elliptical, treadmill and circuit training.
    Anything else you'd like to share: Nothing at this time!
  • JennieMuzz
    JennieMuzz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! So excited to have found this thread because after the last few months of constant nausea/fatigue i am starting to feel better and wanting to get back into a healthy lifestyle!

Name: Jennie
    Hubby/Partner: Craig
    How many kids do you have: This is our first :)
    Due Date: July 25th, 2012
    How far along are you: 10 weeks 5 days
    Do you know the gender: Not yet.... but i can't wait to find out!
    Babies Name: Emma Grace for a girl, Caleb James for a boy
    Where do you live (if you want to share): Glastonbury, CT
    Workouts you are doing while pregnant: Now that i am feeling better I want to sign up for prenatal yoga and start walking everyday.
    Anything else you'd like to share: I am a vegetarian and can not wait to be a mom!!!!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Back to the grind for me. We started off our week/morning with my husband Eric finding a dead mouse in our dog's water bowl. I'm not sure if it was a suicide or murder, but either way, it was totally gross and I'm glad he found it. We just watched The Green Mile last night and Eric was calling him Mr. Jangles. :smile: There are exactly 3 people in my office of over 60 today so I think this will be a short day for me. I took Friday off since Eric had it off too but he had to be back at work today. I'm trying to save as much sick and vacation time for maternity leave, but I am just not feeling so productive today. My sore throat that started NYE has turned into not feeling so hot, so I may just want to go home and rest shortly after lunch. We'll see.

Congrats to Nichole and Elizabeth on their babies! I love to hear the birth stories. Nichole your story was amazing. Good for you for staying strong and as everyone has said, a healthy Mom and Baby at the end are what are most important. And Elizabeth I'm glad everything went pretty smoothly for you all!

Typically at the beginning of the week we like to set some goals to keep us motivated and on track. It can be more water intake, specific workouts, eating habits, or even just chores/tasks to do. I know mine have varied greatly from trying to get 5 workouts in to painting the nursery to eating more veggies. Without further ado mine for the week are:

- Get 4 workouts in (yoga, treadmill, walking furbaby and/or strength)
    - Drink 12 glasses of water today and tomorrow (feeling a little dehydrated today)
    - Go the Babies R Us and finish getting our baby items this week
    - Get to bed by 10:30 at the latest every night this week in hopes of kicking this funk

I'm highly anticipating our ultrasound on Wednesday. I can't wait to see Baby Girl and find out how big (or small) she is and see if I have progressed from 1cm. I think not. I am feeling more and more that this kid may even wait it out until February to make her debut. My niece will be 3 on 2/4 so it would be neat if they shared a birthday.

I hope you all have a nice week and those of you off today, enjoy the last of the holiday!

-Ashley
    36 weeks, 3 days