40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Howdy...so this is where all the cool kids are!! Awesome! I am working out with yoga, weight, biking, walking ect....1200 cal set for the day...and my scale is stuck!!!! ugh!! What am I doing wrong?? Losing inches and getting much stronger and have to be reminded that I am in my 40's....so the most important areas are covered..so is the scale just a number?? How do you all feel about the scale? Thanks for the input!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Leslie - the scale is secondary. If you are getting more fit and losing inches, you are doing the right thing. I was just checking out Leigh Peel's website on body fat percentages and there was a stunning side-by-side comparison of a woman at the same weight, but lower body fat/more muscle in the second pic.
  • LeslieN65
    Options
    Thanks Icuconley...I will check out the website...too easy to get caught up in numbers and I think I will put my scale in the closet for now:-)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    I'm totally focused on the scale right now. (Because my muscles are in good shape!)

Having said that, weighing TOO often is driving me mental. I'm back to only hopping on the scale once-per-week. Hopefully, that will help my neuroses.

Today I'm only going to be able to do the lame-o yoga at the office....it's TOTALLY SNOWING a TON, today, am basically snowed in....and have to leave the office early to get to parent/teacher interviews.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Oh gawd Beeps - sure hope that snow does not come East! We have mountains of snow right now - and I don't want ANYMORE!

Again, I ended up walking on the treadmill. Ran a mile and then switched treadmills as mine was acting up. I ended up setting it to incline and walked briskly "uphill". Came home and did my P90X - Kenpo X workout.

Planning on walking outside today - don't think its snowing out there (no window in my office:tongue:

Leslie - totally go by the inches lost! I saw a side by side picture of a gal on here that had actually gained two pounds but looked half her size once she started strength training. She looked fantastic!

Beeps, I'm worse than you - I weigh myself every morning. The daily fluctuations really piss me off. :grumble: Am ready to through it out the window.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yep, the daily weighing was driving me bonkers, sdereski....absolutely BONKERS.

100-car pileup in my province, yesterday. I called the teacher's and said I'd meet privately with them AFTER spring break. Nanny shoveled 3 times yesterday and then, together, she and I shoveled 2 MORE.

Crazy snow! Am doing teleconferences from home, this morn.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    hi cool kids!!

Beeps - so smart to postpone the meeting with the teacher!

sdereski - great workout! I also weigh myself every morning. generally, I see a nice trend...then I overindulge, like I did on datenight last night and it takes a few days to recover. I figure that if there is a ton of fluctuation, I would rather see 7 readings to get a picture of a true weight rather than weighing once a week, which could just be a fluke.

I lifted this am. tomorrow am, I hope to do the BW matrix that i was supposed to do today that ran out of time and, maybe, some yoga. Sunday, running.

what does everyone have going on this weekend. Me: three trips to chatham that is 1.25 hours away for a basketball tournament. This is the end of the season, so I won't complain.
  • Sharla_G
    Sharla_G Posts: 72
    Options
    Okay, serious question. I worry that the extra weight may be the main reason I look as young as I do, so the thought of losing it and looking older worries me. Is anyone else dealing with this thought process?

Of course, I'll take being fit and looking great in clothes over looking young, but it'd be awesome to get to the end of this process and have it all. :)
    I think when I lose more, those lines that run from my nose to the corners of my mouth will definitely show up more. But it probably depends on where you lose the weight, right?

I agree, fit is better, even if it messes with our faces a bit.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Our basketball season ended a couple weeks ago, lcu....and ice hockey season ended last weekend.

For the FIRST weekend, in likely 7 months, we ONLY have an all girl's engineering class for daughter, daughter's dance class plus haircuts for my sons.

My lifting session wasn't so hot, today. Some new moves, which I liked, but I had to dial back the weights on some old moves, which I didn't like.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    HI all - hope the cool kids had a great weekend. I got a small workout in on Saturday am (BW matrix from NROL4W plus a little yoga) and then a 5.5 mile run on Sunday. Most of my calories expended cheering.

I am little frustrated this am because I was mostly really good this weekend, did not drink a drop, and stayed under my calorie target...and my weight is up. In any event, I am losing inches and getting in much better shape (getting stronger, faster and endurance is improving). I just wish my scale had not teased me the week before last with a huge loss...

Beeps - we have our oldest in a saturday engineeering class, too. I think she is learning some great stuff! How do the haircuts look?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    The haircuts look SUPER-FAB! I have *very* handsome sons!

Well, today is the start of (yet another) new challenge! So, I'm limited to 9,800 calories for the week. I really hope to keep this up until the end of April, will re-evaluate at that time.

I'm lifting at lunch. And then, presuming I still have sufficient gas in the tank, I'm hitting a cardio class after work to pay penance for my weekend of indulgence. Ugh.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Had a good lifting session at the lunch hour. AND, I LEFT all of my gym-togs in a locker at the gym (all locked up tight!) so that I'd be FORCED to return there after work....yep, I'll do the cardio class!

I guess now that spring/summer is nearly here, I should bump up my cardio, in any event. I won't sacrifice lifting for cardio, but I'll just add in some extra cardio when I can.

9.5 weeks LEFT in my cut. Then, done FOREVER, I hope!
  • MarsaHerod
    Options
    Hi, I'm 60, finally retired and I am working on getting healthy after being a nurse for 35 years and trying to keep everyone else Healthy. :tongue:
  • lcuconley
    Options
    marsa - yes, time to focus on YOU!!!

beeps - two workouts...you're a monster!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    The *best* news about all my exercise yesterday is that mfp says "if every day were like yesterday", in 5 weeks I'd be DOWN 10 LBS!!

roflmao

(Ummmm, not "everyday" is gonna be like yesterday, that's for sure!)

Anyway, today I'll stay at the office....the little work-out group here is doing an "abs" class at lunch. So, I'll join. Good enough for today. I'm drinking LOTS of water. I'm keeping to my daily alotted calories. This *week*, at least, I'm gonna make sure the point goes in the "W" column!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all, am back from my weekend away and the 30k run.
    It was good - beautiful day for a run, but, oh, there was so much that went wrong. It all ended well, but stressful none-the-less.

My time was right what I expected - 25 minutes slower than the last time I ran it. :tongue:
    Need to work on my weight to help work on my speed.

Will try and catch up with you all later. Busy day at work.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I want to hear MORE about the 30k run, sdereski!!

1. That sounds like a L-O-N-G run. I'm out!
    2. Glad the day was beautiful! I'm in!
    3. What went "wrong"??
    4. Why "stressful"?? I'm out!

My abs class was so-so. I'm just going to log these short little work-out sessions at the office as "mild stretching"....whether they burn calories or not, I don't really care. I'm not factoring them into the calories I'm ingesting for the day, anyway.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    I want to hear MORE about the 30k run, sdereski!!

1. That sounds like a L-O-N-G run. I'm out!
    2. Glad the day was beautiful! I'm in!
    3. What went "wrong"??
    4. Why "stressful"?? I'm out!

Me too! I want the deets!
  • LeslieN65
    Options
    Hey there!! Gotta hear more about this run sdereski!! Fantastic that you can run that long/far!! Beeps..great working out twice! Marsa..it is your time:-) Icuconley..sounds like you are good and busy:-) Hope you all had a good weekend....my scale is getting dusty:-) and my clothes are really getting loose:-) so I am happy with that:-) I am weighing on the 1st..yeppers April Fool's Day..hmmmm maybe I will weigh in on the 2nd!! I did indulge in a praline tasting = eating contest over the weekend:-) that is ALOT!!!! of sugar! Glad that box is checked in my life!! LOL!!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Hey....I wanna be cool, too! 42 yr old mom of three, here! 15 down, 10-15 more to go, then I can be REALLY cool, lol!!!! :laugh: