40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    jtown - sigh, I think once we become moms, our cool quotient drops precipitously. My oldest is 12 and she loves to be embarassed by me!

leslie - so awesome that your clothes are getting loose! pralines...yummmmmmmm! look forward to your report next Tuesday/Wednesday.

beeps - what is today's workout.

I gave myself the day off today, just did some easy yoga this am. think i will try that again tomorrow am, as I have soccer tomorrow night.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    @lcuconley - No worries, we lose the "coolness" when they turn about 10, but then we get it back tenfold. LOL!!!!! My youngest is 12 and I'm nothing but a dork to her :noway: , but my 18 and 20 year olds think I"m way cool again. :wink:

It definitely gets better!! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    Hey cool kids!!

Tough, tough, tough work-out today....and, still have to hit a cardio session (with my daughter) tonight.

With any LUCK, all of this ZIP will produce some AWESOME month-end photos/measurements/scale weight!

COUNTDOWN TO MY END-OF-MARCH REPORT IS ON!!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    oh man, beeps. I wish I had been killing on my workouts like you have. I went out for sushi last night and totally overconsumed. tonight is date night. Saturday we are having a barbecue and Sunday is easter. I will hopefully get in some double workouts this weekend!!!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    @lcuconley - No worries, we lose the "coolness" when they turn about 10, but then we get it back tenfold. LOL!!!!! My youngest is 12 and I'm nothing but a dork to her :noway: , but my 18 and 20 year olds think I"m way cool again. :wink:

It definitely gets better!! :flowerforyou:

so very true, my kids all thought I knew NOTHING between 12-15 yrs old, then it's like a lightbulb went off...all of a sudden they started acting like my advice was the smartest thing ever LOL
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    So, here is my race report. Race started at 9:30 a.m. We arrived at 8:10. Found a parking spot quickly and had to wait in line to "pay the meter". My husband went ahead to meet up with our friends and left me in line. He didn't think we needed to check a bag in because we were so close to the finish. I don't like to carry anything (car keys; cell phone) so he said he would carry them. I'm in line until 9:20! Ran to use the facilities before the race and then run to the start line, which has already started. Of course, have NO idea where anyone is as there are literally THOUSANDS of people. Got a txt msg from my friend - had to have some guy read it for me (can't see up close) and realize my husband never found them. Now am worried about him. This is his first BIG race with so many people. But I also have the car keys and cell phone flopping in my back pocket. Start out way too fast, trying to "find" my husband. Lots of dodging and someone steps on my heel and my shoe comes off. After 10km I'm getting mad. Mad that I'm worried, mad that we didn't check a bag and I have this constant flop/flop in my back. Finally catch my husband around 15k, he asks for the keys. Check my back pouch and they're not there! Lost them someone where along this route with thousands of people. Legs were pretty much trashed by then as I had been running way too fast. Slowed right down after that. After we finished, several phone calls to make arrangements for tow and new key (all this on a Sunday is not easy) and asking race officials if someone turned keys in. After my third inquiry, we got lucky! Keys were found! Get back to my g/f's and show her my medal only to realize I got a RELAY medal! Yup. fitting ending to the day. Nothing a bottle of wine didn't fix. Husband now knows NEVER to mess with my race day routine ever again. Oh - the race folks are sending me my proper medal, so it's all good. :-)
  • sdereski
    Options
    The haircuts look SUPER-FAB! I have *very* handsome sons!

I'm sure you do!! :happy:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, sdereski - that WAS an adventure!! Holy smokes....you are right that TONS of things went "wrong"....eekkkk!! Live and learn, I guess!

(I don't run with a cell phone, either - never have....but, I'm okay with a key tucked into my pocket.)

I bet you'll KILL your next race! Actually, in reading all of that, I'm MOST upset that you got THE WRONG MEDAL! That sucks! Now, every TIME you look at that medal, you'll remember what a hodge-podge day it was, lol!

I won't be around this weekend, too much, so have a GREAT one, >40's!!
  • sdereski
    Options
    I had started posting and then somehow lost it - so here goes again.

Am trying to get back on track with diet and exercise. Did an 11k run on Tuesday and legs felt pretty good, other than a bit of soreness to start. Back on track with my P90X workouts as well.

Got some of the pictures from the race and cannot believe how much bigger I am compared to last time. No wonder my time was so damn slow. Even though the scale is not registering mucn of difference (+6lbs) I look about 15lbs heavier. Not pretty!! The funny thing is, I am doing much more strength training now than I ever did before. I can't figure all this out.

Easter weekend, but do have lots of runs / workouts planned - thankfully. Am having Easter dinner on Saturday night with my family, but it won't be anything too elaborate.

Beeps, I'll be happy to see 155 again. And then I'll work on 150 and so on. :grumble:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    It's chiseling away at those LAST FEW POUNDS that is just AGONY, sdereski!!

I. KNOW. THIS.

I want to see 145 on the scale this weekend. And then I want to see <140 on the scale come end of April. I'm DETERMINED!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    beeps...we are cheering for you to get to maintenance! you have been killin' it this week!!

sdereski - that seems very strange. maybe the photos are misleading. are your clothes fitting different? glad to hear you are getting back on track...nothing like a 30k run to get you going!

this am I lifted and did hot yoga. It was a GREAT morning at the gym!
  • tamjak
    tamjak Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am new to posting to the community, but been on mfp on and off for a long time. I am finding that weight loss is MUCH harder after 40. I just turned 47, and finally my kids are old enough for me to have time to work out and plan meals. ( I didn't even have kids until I turned 40!) Anyway, the excess baby weight plus some is finally coming off, but at great effort. I have lost 16 pounds in about 38 days so far. I am eating 1200-1300 calories a day, with an emphasis on protein and veggies and avoiding low gylcemic foods. I cut out all coffee, soda, sugar, candy and most processed foods. (all processed food is impossible, unless you live on an organic farm) I am hoping to get to my goal of 125 by August. I am 5'3". I have weighed as high as 190.5 in February, and as low as 110 when I was 25.
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm 41 and loving every minute!

I'm also new to the community but have been using MFP since January. My weight loss journey began in early December 2012 out of pure necessity. I had been abusing my body with food for years and while grieving the sudden death of a dear friend my body decided to shut down. I could not eat a single thing without being in severe pain, needless to say the first 20 lbs came off really easy and within the first 30 days. I am now feeling much better, healthier and with the conviction of NEVER abusing my body with food again! The 12 lbs I have managed to lose since I started MFP have been hard work. I'm eating between 1200 to 1400 cals a day and I eat my exercise cals back. I've cut all caffeine, most processed foods, all fast food, all fried food and eating mostly gluten free. I started by walking 30 minutes and then doing Zumba in the mornings and walking 30 minutes in the evening. Now I'm in my 4th week of CrossFit while still walking 30 to 35 minutes every day. The scale has not been moving but my clothes are getting really big and people are beginning to notice :)

My goal is 150lbs and/or a size 8 that would make me happy! My starting wight was 230 and size 18, my current weight 197 and size 10. Would love to get some support from some fab 40+ kids and suggestions as well. I am currently having to rest, that means no working out and no lifting due to some serious swelling, evidently I over did it with the weight lifting this week.

Looking forward to some new friends, happy Friday!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    hi ladies!

newbeg - wow, sounds like you are working hard. sound like you have had great success so far. From what I hear, crossfit is an excellent workout! make sure that you are eating enough to support those challenging workouts (i know everyone is different).

tamjack - don't know if its my age or my menopause, but losing weight is definitely tougher this time around! Congrats on your 16 pounds!! (You are avoiding *high* glycemic foods, right?) I find it really tough to eat healthy with young kids...they always have such yummy things on their plates!
  • sdereski
    Options
    Happy Easter!

Welcome newbeg and tamjack! I agree tamjack and lcuconley- losing weight after 40 is tough. After 50 seems even more difficult! And those darn hot flashes that interrupt my sleep! What's that all about. None during the day, but it seems I wake up around 2 a.m. and they start. So, I am tossing and turning for the remainder of the night. Ugh.
    All this running and P90X and I have not lost a pound. Started at 156.6 - went up to 160.6. Weighed in this morning at 158.2. (this is week 5 weigh in) Other than the first couple of inches I lost that first week, I have not lost a thing since!:sad: I can't figure it out. Have really been watching my eating as well - trying hard to get my protein in and limiting my carbs.

As for the weekend - It has been a good weekend so far.
    Friday was a crazy day for exercise. I did P90X Yoga first thing in the morning (that was Thursday's workout that I didn't get a chance to do). Then I did a 10k run with my girlfriend, came home and did P90X Legs & Back, with increase weights for some of the moves.
    Oh man, woke up Saturday morning with a very sore behind.
    Hubby and I ran our 10k yesterday - yes, my butt was sore, but felt better as I got going.
    Came home and started preparing dinner for that evening (cooked my Easter dinner Sat night for the entire family) Fell asleep on the couch after everyone left.
    Today, it is a rainy, snowy, dreary day. Attempted to do my Kenpo workout. Got 20 minutes done, and turned it off.
    Hubby and I lounged most of the day (watched Canada's curling game), and now just veggin after our dinner of leftovers.
    Tomorrow is a long run day for us - hopefully, the weather will cooperate for us can clear up some. It's snowing now as I type this. :noway:

Hope the sun is shining where you are and you are all enjoying your Easter weekend! :flowerforyou:
  • lcuconley
    Options
    mornin' all -

Had a great workout yesterday. Ran 2mi to gym, lifted, ran home. Hopefully I can get a yoga session in today...

sdereski - that is all the more reason to get my weight off now and keep it off!! My hot flashes are a lot less these days, but I always wondered: do the hot flashes wake me up, or do I have a hot flash if I wake up for some other reason? Wow, you are REALLY working hard. Keep it up!

Quiet morning this morning, as my kids had a sleepover at a friends.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Wanna get in with the cool kids! :wink: Hello all!

I've been with MFP for about a month now. I'm 42, single with no kids (except for two very large dogs who keep me hopping) and once I decided I was sick of being me, I decided it was time to change. Strangely, I've been enjoying the process of counting calories, eating better, etc. Not so down with the exercise, but I figure as I build up my endurance and strength it will get better.

So far I've stuck with walking several miles a day (I own a treadmill--don't feel comfortable joining a gym just yet) and doing a step aerobics program every other day for exercise. I've been able to average exercising 6 days a week, with one rest day. I eat back some of my exercise calories but not all.

Had a interesting epiphany yesterday after a trip to the grocery store. I turned back around from putting all the fresh food in the refrigerator, and only had two things to put in the pantry--oatmeal and brown rice. Used to be the other way around, lots in the freezer and pantry, and less in the refrigerator. I've gotten rid of most processed foods from my diet and feel a ton better than I did two months ago.
  • JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Happy April 1! I've been on MFP for just over a week but participating in a Fitness Challenge at work since March 1. All's well so far. My 40s have been pretty great overall, and I turn 48 this summer.

I'm here to try to get back into the fit shape I was in before I hit a phase of mild depression when I stopped exercising. It was amazing when I did my first work-up-a-sweat workout in years there was an immediate positive effect on my mood and sense of well being.

I've cut sugar out of my diet, and I'm eating mostly fresh produce, responsibly raised meats, and whole grains. So far I'm down 12.8 lbs in 4 weeks.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    My weekend was koo-koo. Long-story-short, I've come down with a head-cold, so have been unable/unwilling to exercise. Mind you, with the fever raging, I completed my first EVER >24 hour fast on Saturday (and that is while I cooked a full Easter menu for 10 people - 8 hours on my feet!). I ate NOTHING.

I'm going to lift, today, and then will accompany my daughter to a cardio-step class this evening. I'm still really weak, so not sure how this is going to go, but I haven't worked out since Wednesday and I need to REV UP MY ENGINE!
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    40 plus here !!!! NEW MONTH =NEW GOALS!