40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    good morning all -

just thought I would share this interesting article. I will not be stretching before I lift next time to see if there is a difference:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/reasons-not-to-stretch/

KellySue - glad you made it to the gym!

beeps - thanks for that encouragement re: commitment to health. it kept me on track yesterday!

I had an extraordinary 10k run this am. I felt so good and ran (for me) super fast for the first four miles. Plus, it was sunny and the lake was so pretty!!!

Hope the rest of you have great workouts / eating today!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    I am getting sicker.
    :sad:

So, stayed home from work this morning (but have meetings to attend this afternoon), am downing the tylenol, and am skipping my beloved weight-training, today.

Am sick of being sick!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I am getting sicker.
    :sad:

So, stayed home from work this morning (but have meetings to attend this afternoon), am downing the tylenol, and am skipping my beloved weight-training, today.

Am sick of being sick!

So sorry to hear that you are not feeling better. Get some rest and get better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Did not make it to the gym this morning! I didn't sleep well at all and woke up to a blood glucose level of 69 (yes, I am diabetic). Nixed the work out completely as it is unsafe to exercise when it is below 100 and by the time I was able to get it to go up, it was too late for me to head to the gym before having to get ready for work. I'm going to try to at least walk on my lunch break. Happy Thursday everyone!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Beeps - hopefully today is a better day!

KellySue - I imagine morning workouts are tough for a diabetic. Have a super walk at lunch!

I have soccer tonight, so no am workout for me today. Its the playoffs, so we might play at 9p AND 10p.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think this would be great mfp group here. everyone can bond with each other and make friendships. just a thought. I am 2 years away from being 40 years old. I thought I would put this out there for you guys.
  • Ptitus123
    Options
    Hello All just found this club so I will try to stay posting here and on my blog. I do weekly weigh ins and today after a bad weigh in last week gained back 2lbs I'm glad to say that I'm down 7lbs :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I did start doing 3 new things 1) walking my neighborhood and hitting the hill and 2) Tae Bo Insane Abs workout (I could only do 25mins of the video and cried through the last 5 mins of it but you have to start somewhere) 3) I wear the Slim Away Abdominal wrap at least for 8 hours a day while I go about my daily routine and workout. Will give an update on my results next week at my weigh in.

SO GLAD I FOUND YOU GUYS HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    sweet gurl - we can PROBABLY overlook your shortcoming...:happy:

welcome!
  • stiggy64
    stiggy64 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thought i'd pop in and say hello! 48 years old but feel (and, so i'm told, act) like i'm 21 :)
    Been on MFP for quite a while but really getting back into it again in the last couple of months. My main goal at the moment is to get down to 182 and to reduce my body fat.
    I've dabbled with the gym for years but never really achieved much so this time is different. I have a personal training session next Monday where i'm going to start SL 5x5 and plan on sticking to it like glue!

Happy for you other cool kids to add me if you want to.

Rob
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    hello hello! Stumbled on the "40+" and let's face it....at >40 you have different challenges and goals than someone 27 with the same amount of weight to lose. I'm a mom of two...job...early menopause...hubby....two dog...60lb to lose kinda gal. I'd like to settle on one place to go, learn, support, and chat because in all honesty the number of threads in the community is overwhelming. I joined a while ago but never used until recently so I am new and trying to strike a balance before any backsliding is achieved :)

I live in OH and am a huge hockey and baseball fan...please never ask me about Ohio State because I'm just sayin' up front I'm not a fan....I'm an Ohio University girl and college professor...I started this journey in February and have lost 12 lbs so far...have stopped the last week and a half and I am hoping it was me learning the importance of both diet AND exercise. Advice, encouragement, and help is always appreciated but I want to "get to know" people too. To me it's not all just "hey I lost 5 lbs last week"....that can be discouraging at times and I can see how you might start to feel that your job is to go down the news feed and tell everyone "congrats" on logging food or burning calories; seem important to me to be able to post "oh crap I had 7 glasses of wine yesterday so I'm starting over :)" tooooo.

So there is me in a nutshell....hope I find a place to call home and fit in....maybe you guys feel like getting to know someone new too :)
  • mnqi
    mnqi Posts: 36
    Options
    hello, just checking in. I wanted to post that I didn't do day 3 of my squat challenge. I guess when you don't exercise regularly it is easy to forget....boo. I will try to catch up today. I plan to do 10 squats everytime I go to the bathroom!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Am still feeling under the weather, but not as bad once I keep the tylenol regularly ingested! I was awake most of last night with a churning fever.

Hope to get back to the gym tomorrow.
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Made it to the gym for a short walk on my lunch break. It felt good to be able to walk off some stress!
  • kmrbriscoe
    kmrbriscoe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Week 2 Day 2 of the C25K tonight after I get home from work then a key lime pie smoothie for dinner!
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi Cool Kids!

Beeps hope you're on the road to recovery, been awake all night is no fun!
    KellySue congrats on making it to the gym, walking off stress has been a life saver for me.
    cbjfan welcome to the cool kids club.

Went back to CrossFit last nigh yay! brought my 13 year old daughter with me, bad idea! She decided to join the workout and did so for the first 10 min after that she sat in the corner and cheered me on while I grunted my way thru the rest of the wod. This morning she announced, CrossFit is easy! What? Last night I felt like my heart was going to leap out of my chest and by the end of the work out I was drenched in sweat...oh the perks of being a teenager. Needless to say, she's not coming to the gym with me ever again :)

Have a good one Kids!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    wow...so many new cool kids! Welcome everyone!

newbeg - My oldest just turned 12 and she is already a teenager!! Is there a reason she stopped if it was so **** easy?!?!

kmr - are you enjoying c25k?

kelly - good job!

beeps - hopefully you can sleep tonight...you need it!

cbj - that's what its all about...mutual support. I DID have 7 glasses of wine last saturday. For me, though, its not about starting over, its about recognizing that you are going to have your "cheat" days and as long as you exercise and are good most of the time, it will fall into place.

stiggy - I have heard great things about SL 5x5. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yeah, please report back on the SL 5 x 5....

I want. This day. To end.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • stiggy64
    stiggy64 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Will do. Not sure i'm looking forward to being in a busy gym lifting an empty bar to start with but will just have to deal with it!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Will do. Not sure i'm looking forward to being in a busy gym lifting an empty bar to start with but will just have to deal with it!

I have a lot of respect for this attitude...form first!!!
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options
    I'm not sure how all the posting and stuff works, MAJOR COMPUTER ILLITERATE here, but will try my best and if anyone sees I am doing stuff incorrectly please let me know.

lHello Everyone, My name is Melanie, I'm 56-years-old and (Hike That Mountain) is my goal, besides losing weight of course and becoming as healthy as I can be.

I had lost almost 40 pounds over the last year and have been on a plateau since the beginning of December 2012 when I got sick with the flu twice in a row (of course I also got out of the habit of exercising afterwards) and did the little couch potatoe thing up till March 2013 and I was so happy to stumble across MFP four days before I weighed myself yesterday and have already lost one pound, YaY!

Last year when I was fed up of gaining weight and aching and disgusted with myself whenever I looked in the mirror I had come across a book by Jeff Galloway (an Olympiad runner) who said that you could start running by only running a few seconds at a time, (never in my like did I think I could run, in gym class I would want to puke when they made you do a 50 yard dash). Well that book got me going, it allowed me to believe that YES I could run and in January 2012 I began walking, then throwing in a few seconds of running, then slowly upped the running time (actually probably more like jogging, but have time to work on that), by the summer I ran my first (and only so far) 5K with my son who I had asked to run with me because I knew having him expecting me to would keep me true to my training. When I ran that 5K, I was 2minutes over their time limit of 45 minutes, hee, hee, but I didn't come in last :)-of course there was only one other person behind me:). Anyway, thanks to reading posts here over the last four/five days since I joined I have gained some momentum again and just finished 4K a few minutes ago. Miss Sidereski (hope I got that right as I cannot see your posts at the moment), I am so in awe of you, you are my hero :). One day I hope to grow up and be like you.... I wanna run a Marathon!

And Beeps, could you give me an idea of where I can find out the proper way to do some lifting (starting off small :). Ha! Ha! I had to google "The Plank" and tried it last night. They recommended starting at 45 seconds in each pose, I could only manage 10 seconds! lol. oh well, that just shows me how out of shape I am and now I know what to add a couple of seconds to each day.

Since I am introducing myself, I will bore you with a bit of past history. My son and I moved in with my Mom when she was going through chemotherapy, to help her out, over the ten years I was with her she progressively got worse until the last 3 or 4 years she couldn't walk without a walker and in the last two years was sleeping in a chair that would electrically raise up so she could stand and head for the bathroom. It wasn't so much the breast cancer that she had been treated for that was her problem, but the progressive lack of movement on her part and the increasing body weight. I'm not making excuses for myself, nor am I sad that I got to spend some beautiful time with my Mom, just stating facts, but with taking care of my Mom and two jobs of my own (one during the week days and one week nights and weekends) I pretty much stopped taking care of myself and watching what I ate and..... gained weight. Now, I actually have always been overweight since grade 1 primary school, but had gotten really sick with something called Crohn's disease (presently on SCDiet, which is a miracle and allows me away from the bathroom so I can actually get exercise). Sorry, I tend to wander, I got sick with my first problems with Crohn's (which I have had for 37 yearst) and lost down to a size 4, but then came my mom getting sick and I went up again.

Hope I'm not putting anyone to sleep (but then you don't have to read :). Anyway, I'm Canadian and decided to come to Saudi Arabia (another long story) to earn my retirement as I was broke and owing money and also, as I had promised my son, to get into shape and healthy so that he would not have to take care of me in my 70's. And what did I do as soon as I got here? I gained about 20 lbs. I was up to 230 again (My highest ever was 244). I am presently as of yesterday's weighin 192.

I am here to make that promise to myself and my son come true and I will and hopefully I will have a few friends to help me along the way here.

Nice to meet you all, I hope I can join in your fun.

When I went on leave last summer (Aug/Sept) I had gotten down to a size 16, my goal for this coming September/Oct (my leave back to Canada) is to be down to size 14 or if Im lucky, even smaller.

and wow, another goal, shush, don't tell anyone...... I would love to have a girly six-pack one day :) if that is possible? and maybe even work my way up to that Marathon!

Oh Ya, the "HikeThatMountain" thing, When my son (now 33) was around 16 years, he, his cousin and myself went hiking up one mountain, across the tops of two and down the third mountain. I was smoking then and overweight and I thought I wasn't going to make it, was ready to be burried when I reached the sumit of the first mountain. But I hung on and lived and carried on with encouragement from my son and my niece, but near the end of our trek, I again was really scared because it took us literally all day and by the end of the hike it was almost pitch black in the trees and Iwe had no light. Thanks to my beautiful, wonderful son, my light (literally it seems :) the three of us made it out of there just fine. But I knew the whole time that I was the one holding us back and I know that I scared my son because through the whole trek he kept asking me if I was alright. Anyway, another goal is to go back once I lost down to 140/145 lbs and do it again only this time, coming to the finish with lots of daylight and sunshine! Of course, never again will I hike without some kind of light to light the way if needed,,,, that was really really scary!