40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. Happy holidays. Hope everyone had a good Christmas n will have a great New Year.
    I lost 5 lbs while on vacation. I continued to track n made good choices even if it was a holiday. With all the time off I also did a lot of outdoor running but no gym. I did gym this past Saturday in over a week and did again today.

Also this morning many personal records with my running.
    An 8:27 mile which led to a 27:09 3 miler which led to a 55:23 6 mile run. I keep surprising myself.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hey Cool Kids,

Congrats to all those who successfully survived the holidays and actually lost weight! I was NOT one of them. Late nights, crappy eating, little exercise. UGH! Everything I didn't want to do. Tough when you have company and you are always "on".

I did manage some exercise, but obviously not enough. Have not made it to the gym...that will have to start on Thursday.
    Some of the fun stuff I did was sliding, skating, dancing, but also did a couple of short runs.

We have been in the midst of a major deep freeze. Weather has been rather consistently COLD! This morning was -33C....again. -43C with the wind-chill. That type of weather makes me wish I was a bear and just want to hibernate. :tongue:

Wishing you all a very Happy, Healthy New Year! :drinker:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year's Eve! I had intended to make it to the gym this morning, but low blood sugar got in the way.:frown: It was 57 when I got up this morning. I ended up eating breakfast and then by the time it had come up some I did not have the time. Maybe I can sneak in there tomorrow. We'll see.

Hope everyone has a great New Year's Eve/Day. :drinker: We are headed to a party later after I get out of work and then off to go see my parents tomorrow. They are leaving for Florida on Friday and won't be back until the first week in May.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey cool kids, hope everyone is well.

Welcome DevoDev, and Samantha.

I know the holidays and good cheer has everyone on a slower mode. It will be nice to see everyone back in the full swing of things.

Due to the holiday tomorrow, my regularly scheduled boxing class is canceled, however, a 75 minute boot camp class is offered at 10 a.m. Yes I signed up for the torture. I wouldn't have it any other way.

The Nike bionics are a BUST for ME2. I wore them during extreme fit last night and once again my left ankle is quite sore. I am quite disappointed because there were so many reviews about how great they are if you take boot camp, TRX or circuit training classes.

I am thrilled to end 2013 in the onderland club. I never thought I would see the day because the scale has shown me 2-300+ pounds for so many years and to finally now say one hundred anything is awesome to me.

I am not into resolutions, yet I will continue to apply the following:

Hold myself accountable, make or give NO excuses, give my workouts all of my heart, soul and strength, and to tell myself everyday I am worth it.

Have a great day.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Welcome to all the new cool kids!

I love seeing how well you are all doing! I lost a few more lbs too! woo hoo! Never thought I'd see 130 or 120 let alone 118 this morning! *happy dance*

Having a Luau for the party tonight! Making prime rib roast, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, some other snacks and Pinapple Champagne Punch..... for starters! Kicking on the Xbox for some Kinex fun and karaoke!

Have a great night and Awesome start to your New Year!

xoxo

Chelle
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Just thought I would post pics from Christmas last year to Christmas this year.

Me and my mom Christmas 2012~
    momnme2012_zps91abc50a.jpg

Me and my hubby with Jake Christmas 2013 (not the best pic of my hubby- I kind of rushed him out of the house that morning so he didn't really shave or anything!)~
    xmasfam2013_zps91709dea.jpg
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    sdereski - HAPPY NEW YEAR!! For sure I GAINED WEIGHT these past holidays....I haven't stepped on the scale, but I know it! It's okay, I'll step on the scale in a couple of weeks and all's well that ends well!

caramel - what is it that you are looking for in a shoe?? (i.e. what is the foot problem you are trying to work around?) Congrats on your 2013 achievements!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

princessofred - Your weight is what I *might* have weighed back in junior high....congratulations! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

And, KellySue - HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Your FACE says it ALL in those pictures!!! You have lost a TREMENDOUS amount of bodyfat and I am so glad that you are getting fit and using nutrition to help you manage your condition. Sooooooooooooooooo inspiring!

Happy New Year to all COOL KIDS!!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to you all!!

KellySue!! wow what a big change for sure! it's funny how it takes looking at older pictures to truely see how far we've come and baby, you've come a long way!!

caramel - congrats on ending the year in onederland!! as for your shoes, reviews are good but the shoe still has to be fitted for the wearer. My local running store offers returns if the shoe doesn't turn out to be a good fit, hopefully, yours will too?

princess - awesome for you to see such a great number on your scale!! your night sounds like loads of fun, enjoy!!

I had some big moments during 2013... I realized the importance of fueling my body properly for both performance and sanity! I ditched the whole fitness industry brainwashing of "slash calories and cardio like crazy!" attitude. I completed a half marathon in August. I learned that it's ok to not have breakfast everyday if I don't feel like it. Alternately, I also learned that it's ok to eat at 10 pm if I am hungry as well. The single most important thing I learned in 2013 is that mindset determines action. Simply put... If I think it and believe it, I make it happen.

I had a goal to fit into a size 10 dress for New Year eve... I will be putting on a size 12. I am ok with that though as I started 2013 in a 16. I wanted to close out the year weighing 180 pounds as well and have missed that by 8.5 pounds. I am not overly disappointed that I missed these 2 goals because I met many others throughout the year.

2014 goals are more about fitness/performance. I want to do 6 full on push ups by June 1st. Currently, I can complete 3 sets of 12 'girl' push ups with perfect form. That being said, increasing my upper body strength is a major goal for 2014.
    I want to squat 1.5 X body weight by the end of the year and bench body weight. I want to shed 10% body fat as well, that will bring me down to 22 - 25%.

When registration opens on January 23rd, I will register for the 2014 SeaWheeze half marathon set for August. I will do a couple 5/10k as well but running is not going to be a focus for me.

Oh and I am going to eat an apple everyday in January! =)

Hope you all have given some thought to what you want to achieve in 2014 and I hope you share them too!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Beeps and Whatabroad- Thanks for your words of encouragement!

As for goals for this coming year 2014- I would really love to get off from the last diabetes med that I am on. I dropped two of them this year. To get rid of the last one would be a major accomplishment!
    - I, of course would like to continue to lose weight. I have dropped from a size 22/24 down to a size 14 this year- and the 14s are getting a bit loose. I will be joining my company's "Biggest Loser" competition again this year. (I came in 2nd last year) It starts next week and runs through the end of March. My weight loss has slowed, which I expected. I still have about 50lbs to lose to reach my original goal weight of 140. While I would like to say that I can lose the whole 50 this year, I am going to be a bit more conservative and say I will lose another 30. If I go over that it will be a bonus.
    - I want to continue to get stronger and more fit. I am going to continue to work on strength training and possibly try something like stronglifts or NROLW. I still need to get a bit more confident around the weights.
    - I would like to participate in several 5ks this year. Haven't decided which ones yet though.

Everyone have a safe and Happy New Year!!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone!

KellySue, those pictures are so great--you look wonderful! Kicking the last med would be an awesome NSV.

Let's see, fitness goals for the year....
    My company has finally extended the cash rebate for going to the gym regularly to all health plans, so I'm eligible this year! So definitely working out enough to get my $250 back every 6 months (60x in 6 months shouldn't be a problem, barring injuries!). I am not above a little cash bribery to get me to work out.
    I'd also like to get my eating back under control as I've gotten a little too loose with the sweets. I'm bouncing in the 155-160 range and want to get back to the bottom of it (lately looking at pictures of my face I'm not sure I want to go too much lower).
    And on this year's trip to Hawaii (coming up soon!), I'd like to do a much better job of making better food choices and getting exercise in, even though "it's my vacation!".
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Hope everyone had a fantastic night and is ready to start this year off with a fabulous sweat session to set the stage for what will be an awesome year!

KellySue - amazing NSV to kick 2 of 3 of the meds and with your dedication, that last one doesn't stand a chance!!

RM - I think it's absolutely fantastic to work for a company who invests in the well being of it's employees. My company does the same, I get $600 for the year and I am going to use as much as I possibly can too. When is your trip to Hawaii? and can you take me with you pleaseee!! =)

I didn't do too bad last night, I am pretty sure I logged everything and I came out at slightly above TDEE. I hit my protein and that was all I was concerned with. My first sweat session of 2014 will be barbell complexes... when I finish my coffee and a couple more glasses of water!!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 a month ago.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    I am either 43 or 34, hold on, carry the 5, crap, 43 it is. By 44, I will be 180, size 28 jeans and living a healthy life.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Greetings cool kids, hope all of you are well.

I completed the 75 minute boot camp challenge today and Rob (trainer) never disappoints. It was so nice to see some of my ole daytime work out partners and many have lost weight and we were all congratulating one another for sticking the course. I had another unxexpected NSV, Rob said to the physical therapist, "Kym is doing so well isn't she"? She turned around and realized who I was and ran over to me and said "OMG I'm sorry, I did not recognize you". I guess I do not truly realize how different I look.

Beeps, I have no issues with my feet and that is why I attribute it to the new shoes. My sister brought me some Aasics Nimbus and they wore out quickly. I get all of these recommendation, I read up on reviews, I talk to store staff who are supposed to know their product and I end up with sneakers that I can't utilize. If any of you can recommend a good shoe that can support boot camp, boxing and circuit training, please let me know.

Have a great night everyone.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!!!! Yep, it's me!!!! I can't believe I've been gone since early Nov!!!! I had a wonderful birthday cruise with my husband. I did not behave, who was I kidding? LOL I did hit the gym several times plus we did a lot of walking. Then back home my best intention was not to succumb to temptations etc but nope, it didn't work. So the number on the scale is up again, clothes are fitting tighter. :noway: :mad: :explode: but I have no one else to blame but me!!!! So back on the eating right wagon. I did not stop exercising during the Holidays which is great and have not had a drop of alcohol since Thanksgiving so the weight gain could have been worse if I did. For 30 days I am going gluten free, no processed foods, no dairy...any nutrition challenges going on somewhere? I have joined a couple of fitness challenges with a couple of my facebook friends. Sorry I've missed so much here. :cry: I skimmed through, it looks like everyone is doing well.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WISHING ALL OF YOU GOOD HEALTH AND HAPPINESS IN 2014!!! :drinker:
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Yeah! Happy New Year all! Welcome to the new people! I made it to the gym after shovelling out this morning. Had a good work out- Legs, abs, cardio! Then came into work and shovelled more!

Had dinner with my parents last night and ended up going over, but my mom is such a good cook and I won't be seeing her again for four months as they are leaving today to head to Florida. Had to "stock up"!! LOL!

Hope everyone has a great day!! Stay warm wherever you are!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    January is to be a dry month for me and my hubby (as in no alcohol) so I will see if that makes a difference to my months long plateau and adapt accordingly after Jan. We will allow ourselves a drink on the 20th Jan to toast our youngest when he turns 21 but that is it!!! Hubby does not need to lose any weight at all but he is hoping it may lead to improvement in his squash game lol
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    jonnyman - I'm doing a "dry month", too! Actually, I've joined a "NO EXCUSES" January challenge and that's basically exactly what it sounds like! Can ONLY eat the (weekly) alotted calories and MUST lift heavy 3 x per week (you can then add in more exercise if you want....).

I'm also going to do a 30-day-cleanse, but haven't started that, yet....

Hopefully, by end of January, all this Xmas nonsense will be LONG behind me and I can be in the "last 5 lbs" club as I move through the rest of winter. I'd like to be at maintenance by summer, but unsure how long it will take to shed these last bits of bodyfat. It could take all year....
  • jonnyman41
    Options
    jonnyman - I'm doing a "dry month", too! Actually, I've joined a "NO EXCUSES" January challenge and that's basically exactly what it sounds like! Can ONLY eat the (weekly) alotted calories and MUST lift heavy 3 x per week (you can then add in more exercise if you want....).

Hopefully, by end of January, all this Xmas nonsense will be LONG behind me and I can be in the "last 5 lbs" club as I move through the rest of winter. I'd like to be at maintenance by summer, but unsure how long it will take to shed these last bits of bodyfat. It could take all year....

Good luck. Me and hubby both like red wine and drink it regularly but, as is often, we have had a little too much of the good stuff over Christmas and have decided to go all out and have no alcohol to reset out bodies tolerance to it. It will be interesting to see if it does help with my weight loss though that is not my main reason for doing this. I expect I will be missing it quite soon lol
  • jonnyman41
    Options

Good luck. Me and hubby both like red wine and drink it regularly but, as is often, we have had a little too much of the good stuff over Christmas and have decided to go all out and have no alcohol to reset out bodies tolerance to it. It will be interesting to see if it does help with my weight loss though that is not my main reason for doing this. I expect I will be missing it quite soon lol
    I am also booking a couple of training sessions so that I can get started with weights properly, (form etc,,,) and then continue on my own either at the gym or with the basic equipment we have in the house.