40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• softncudly
    softncudly Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone. I'd like to join your club. :) (I'm 43...)
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Good morning! welcome newcomers :flowerforyou:

alf - welcome back and so glad you had a great time while you were away! good luck with your January goals.

jonnyman & Beeps - good luck with your dry month!

KellySue - you had a full body work out today! We have had rain for the past 2 days but they are saying that it's going to get a little colder over the weekend and we should see snow again. Normally, I would be happy by this weather except there is still ice under the water which has the roads flooded in losts of areas and I am not willing to run in my Hunters! lol

I got my lifting in this morning, heavy day and increased my squats and dead lifts again!! Whoot!! jump rope cardio today after work.

Do something that will make you sweat today and make it awesome!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hello Cool Kids,

Kelly Sue - amazing difference between this year and last! congratulations! You have done so well.

Whatabroad - you have also done very well! Sounds like you have a healthy mindset, which is 99% of the battle!

Beeps - good luck on your challenges and cleanse. I KNOW you will do well.
    johnnyman - good luck on your dry month! I did not drink much over the holidays, as I live outside of town, so do a lot of driving. Having said that, I did have a couple of coffee & baileys one evening, and then, without thinking, drove my granddaughter home! I got stopped at a RIDE check with her in the car! I was mortified!!!! Could not believe how I didn't even give those two drinks a thought and then got behind the wheel. The police let me go as they said they could not smell anything, but just the thought that I was so careless concerned me. (my nephew was killed by an impaired driver, so am usually very diligent about D&D) So, that was it - I DIDN'T TAKE ANOTHER DRINK IF THERE WAS EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CHANCE I WOULD BE DRIVING!

Today, I start again. Clean eating, no alcohol, caffeine free and regular workouts.

It has been so bitterly cold here, that it has been very tough to get out let alone getting out to workout! Am going to start my early morning workouts at home again as well. This way, if I don't make it to the gym after work, I will still have done something!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,972 Member
    Options
    Wow, sdereski....I'm not a big drinker, either (as in, some months I'll have 8 drinks total and other months, I'll have 2....), in part because I just never know when I'll be called on to drive.

My paralegal was going to pick up her step-son (and friends...) at about 3:30 am on New Year's Day and as she was driving (in her hummer...) she saw a car come 'round a corner, smash into a bunch of cars, and then drive away - she followed that car for a bit and then when it moved into a hotel parking lot, she drove on her way to pick up step-son. Just goes to show the drunk-drivers are STILL A'PLENTY, even in 2014.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Happy new year everyone. Hi to all the newcomers.

OK! So I just signed up last night for my first 2 running races. A 10K in March and a 1/2 marathon in April. I hope i do well. :-)

So good to see everyone back and doing good. Keep it up!!!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    The shovel has become my scepter today! Shoveled twice this morning and then just had to shovel again when I got home and then maybe again before I go to bed tonight so I don't have a foot or more to shovel in the morning when temps will be below zero here.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey cool kids. Hope al of you are well.

The snow has started and I get nervous driving in bad weather so I will bypass the gym today. I am still sore from yesterday's bootcamp class.

I am glad to see the posts resume here.

Have a great evening.
  • enipla
    enipla Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well. I did not do too much on New Year's Eve because I had to work a long day the next day. Nice and quiet at work and the patients were all in a good mood which makes my job easier. Doing well with my eating. Yesterday I got in a nice 90 min workout. Felt great.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, Alf, and welcome to all the new cool kids!

I am so torn about getting up tomorrow morning to go to the gym--I know the amounts of snow we're expecting in NYC are much lower than in other places, but combining that with the crazy low temps.... I am not looking forward to it.

Got a good workout in with my trainer today. Lots of leg presses which I know I will be feeling tomorrow!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Stay safe friends! and don't forget, you can be your own gym!! push ups, squats, lunges, step ups on a chair, mountain climbers, burpees... you don't need to go to the gym to get a good workout in. =)
  • faith241968
    faith241968 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi 45 female here. 4' 11.5" last weight 136.2.....started watching calories in September started at 152. I work out 4-6 days a week. Boot Camp, Body Attack and running. But the key for me is counting calories and trying to make better food choices. My goal is 125.

I started this fitness journey 6 years ago started at 182. Low was around 130ish, Have gained and lost the same 15 lbs for a few years. This time I would like to complete my goal weight and stay there.

Thanks for a 40+ thread good to see others successes.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I went to Bikram this morning. I just love it!! :drinker: At home I did some push ups, squats, plank, sit ups, V ups and chair dips. Those exercises are from two challenges I joined this month on facebook. I am still undecided what my new lifting workout will be the next 3 months. It is time to change what I was doing, I try to change it up every 3 months. I would love to do P90X again (have done it twice) but hate the lengthy workouts. I don't want to invest in the new one. I was also thinking about doing new rules of lifting for abs but there are too many exercises that I would have to do at a gym and that is not convenient for me. :grumble: :noway: decisions, decisions...

Sdereski, sorry to hear about your nephew. My husband and I always decide who is going to be the DD. Unfortunately not everyone is that responsible. Good luck on going caffeine free!!! yikes!! I just love coffee too much!!! What I will be doing this month is not to drink coffee after 2pm. If I have a craving I will have green tea.

Welcome faith!!! :drinker:

RM and others in the east coast, stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm kinda laughing at the "snow shovel as scepter" idea....I LIKE IT!

We have tons of snow. We are getting MORE tonight. Our roads have been skating rinks for >4 weeks now.

TOMORROW I LIFT!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! It will be a quiet day overall here. Just staff have to report today, and all of my staff have been assigned to work with some people that live in residential homes so I am on my own for the day. I plan to get some paperwork done and some cleaning and will probably leave a bit early.

I ended up shoveling for a bit this morning- yes, with my "scepter" in hand!! I got to work and found that the landlord had plowed and shoveled out back and I am in no hurry to do the front since no one is coming in today. It's too cold!

Have a great day all!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    A gf of mine is joining me at the gym, today....so, not doing my regular lifting! INstead, I pulled a "weights + BOSU" work-out from an old issue of "oxygen" magazine and we'll give that a whirl. Should be fun!!
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!

Glad to see everyone back at it and some new people too! Lots of great stuff happening here!

I'm always a little slow to get motivated after the holidays. I plan on doing my usual workouts and try to get back into the pool for some swimming, but I never seem to get my legs quite under me for any major change until spring hits. I like to hibernate a little in January and February. I also enjoy the relative quiet after the busy holiday season.

I did rejoin a gym that my brother belongs to, that has a very nice pool. My brother was a competitive swimmer and says he will whip me into swimming shape in no time. (I may regret this for a variety of reasons at a later date) :wink:

There was so much progress made here in 2013! I can't wait to see what the New Year brings!

Have a great weekend!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just realized I have not worked out today!!! Ahhh!!! Too busy! But before I go to bed I plan to complete my two challenges. But I have eaten really well today. :drinker:

1968samuel, I love swimming!!! I wish I had time to do it. I don't have a gym membership in a gym nearby so my only option is the pool at the military installation. That is just out of the way and they have some inconvenient hours. :grumble: Have fun!!

Have a great weekend!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    All BLOAT is gone and my waist is back down to <27". So, YAY!!

Now, I really CAN start moving bodyfat off me.....I'm doing scheduled cardio today, but then need to REST, because my fast on the 2nd and my low-low-cal day on the 3rd totally f*cked with my sleep.....

Need to fix SLEEP more than anything, or it DERAILS EVERYTHING!

BOOM!
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    alf - Gorgeous profile pic!

Beeps - I hear you. Lack of sleep means more eating and less working out for me!

Shared a bottle of excellent wine for husband's birthday last night (we were at home so no driving). Now today I'm feeling just a tad unmotivated. Maybe I need a dry rest of the month too!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I weighed in at 147.0 today. So, my goal in 2014 is to NEVER see 150 on the scale. Ever. And, hopefully my "NO EXCUSES" challenge gets me down 5 lbs this month. And then I'll try and eliminate the last 5 by May.

My 2015 (and beyond) goal is to NEVER see 140, either....just live in the 130's forevermore.