40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• calico_cat
    calico_cat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome, momof3boys. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Alf so sad to hear of your injury! Take it easy for awhile & keep your positive energy flowing. You will be back to normal soon! I have a ninja mega system & love it. It makes great protein smoothies & tons of other things. I ordered the salad shooter with it & glad I did.

momof3boys- what an incredible journey you have had. Good luck on your surgery!!! Welcome to our group.

my feel good is sitting by my pool in the hot summer sun with some good music & a cocktail with friends. I cannot wait until summer! Thanks for bringing up a nice place to dream about today beeps!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ruby! I have been reading reviews online about both products. There are great reviews for the Vitamix but the price!!!!! :sad: :noway: :grumble: Glad to hear you like your Ninja because I have read some bad reviews. :ohwell: When you make your smoothies, does it "thin" them out pretty good or they are chunky and thick? I guess it depends what you put in it. I also like the food processor feature that it has since I don't have one. What is the other attachment you ordered? Lately I have been making energy bars and my nutribullet and regular blender cannot handle those ingredients.

My plan today, keep icing, stretching, maybe some floor exercises. I need to find a sub for my classes next week. I also need to work on my taxes. :mad: :explode: that is major stress for me. It is stressful because I am not organized when it comes to my Zumba business so it takes me a while. My fault...it is already the end of March and haven't gotten organized for next year either. :ohwell:

HAPPY SATURDAY!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So many inspirational people on this thread!
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new 'Cool Kids'

Alf - sorry about your injury .. hope you get back to business soon..

One more week for me before home and the big weigh in.. i now know that a closed fist full off almonds is exactly 25 g thanks to the scale I brought with me this trip.. been weighing food that I haven't had in the main canteen so hopefully I will have made some good progress again.

Keep on with the good work everyone.
  • ruby70
    Options
    I hope you are all having a great weekend. I had a wonderful Saturday; had lunch with my husband and traveled into the city for shopping. A HUGE mall & I loved it. I am a city person but my husband is a country guy so I live in the middle of no where and then turn left LOL. I bought a new handbag and:drinker: splurged.... there are some perks to being over 40 I guess and being more settled financially is one of them.

Handyandy - Sounds like you have been doing wonderful! Way to stay on track even when you are away from home. I know you will have a good weigh in!

Alf - the Ninja make really good smoothies but it takes awhile to get the consistency down for thick or thin, they can get too thick it you are not careful. I will use unsweetened almond milk, protein powder and some frozen fruit and that works pretty good. You can also throw in some ice if your fruit is not frozen. It is NOT good if you are looking for a juicer, the commercials claim you can juice and strain but I have not had luck with that. It will go through about any ingredients with no problem so I think to make your energy bars it would do that with ease. The attachment I have is called the "prep system" it come with 4 discs to shred cheese, grate, slice veggies ect. I use it a lot to shred fresh parmesan cheese. I also like that it can work as food processer - I make homemade wheat pizza dough with it, homemade hummus, homemade peanut butter ect. I have used the nutribullet before & that does make awesome shakes, I also like the compact size of the nutribullet. I would love your energy bar recipe!!!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Ruby, thanks for the info. I've made these two, please see below. I made both with raw cashews. I also added unsweetened coconut flakes. There are endless substitutions with different nuts or unsweetened dried fruit.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/11/08/homemade-cashew-cookie-larabars/

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/08/12/hot-fudge-brownie-larabars/

Handyandy, keep up the good work!!! :drinker:

I found a substitute instructor for this week. I have been snacking a lot, healthy food but still. To be honest with you I am down and depressed about this injury. Exercise keeps me sane and when I cannot do it I get very stressed out. :sad: :sad:

:flowerforyou:
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday

Spinning & then strength training on the agenda today fitness wise. Hope everyone has a great start to their week.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hey Happy Monday Cool Kids!

Alf - maybe this down time will give you a chance to catch up on those taxes and organization! Can you go for some short walks to distract you and keep you sanity?

HandyAndy - Good luck on your weigh-in. Sounds like you've got things under control.

Ruby - I love sitting at the pool too, definitely can't wait for better weather! Looks like we are in line for a NorEaster Tues/Weds, hopefully it'll stay offshore more and not mess us up to bad.

Worked with the weights this morning and am already feeling it, the DOMS tomorrow will not be fun...I felt like it was a struggle today to push the same weight I did on Friday.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    I had a great weekend! Got to see my mom + dad and they are doing well. Got to see my bff and we had a great visit (in between son's volleyball games). Also, got to see my CHILDHOOD bff who I am going to Europe with in May! for some kismet reason, she descended on OLDcity this same weekend that I did, so spent an hour at a coffee shop with her and her husband and her 2 youngest children.

My son's team lost every single game, until the final (they were playing for 7th spot out of 8 spots....) - and they won! So, they were 7th out of 8, lol.

My daughter's hockey team won thursday night, but then lost every other weekend game, so she came home without any provincial hardware....but, she and her dad had a totally wonderful time!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! running, squats, sit ups, push ups, lunges and dips were just a few parts of my workout today! The running was a bit difficult as I still have some congestion from my sinus infection that has wanted to hang around, but I made it through. My arms are feeling a bit sore right now. Hopefully won't last too long.

It's snowing here right now- so ready for this to be O-V-E-R!!! I am hoping it clears up over the next day or so as I am off Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week. So looking forward to the break. I have some appointments and am spending a day with Jake which will be fun, as always.

Have a good day all!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fun weekend Beeps! I'm going to Europe this summer with friends also. First time in Europe, I've been to Asia, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean - so excited to finally get to Europe :)

KellySue - maybe that run will move some of the at congestion for you. Good to hear you're up and moving again!!

I'm curious... What major city do you all live near. I live about 20 miles from Boston, MA
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Nice2BFit- I live about 25 miles southwest of Syracuse, NY.
  • calico_cat
    calico_cat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the snow, Kelly Sue. Hope it clears up soon and that it warms up there. I believe we are experiencing some sort of global cooling. We have had major storms here in GA not too long ago that crippled the Atlanta area, which you all may have heard about.

Great job exercising. I need to start exercising again. I have realized my weight loss is going to be very slow without it.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Glad to see the group is still going strong! I was a regular on here a few years ago, and I am back! In need of inspiration as I have gained back some of the weight I lost (waaah) due to some life and job changes.

This place helped a lot the last time so I'm hoping I can see some results again this time around.

:flowerforyou:
  • ruby70
    Options
    Alf - I understand why you are feeling down. Exercise totally changes my mood too & I can get really down if I do not exercise. I think you need to focus on getting yourself better so you do not make your injury last longer. Do you think you could do some sort of swimming? I am thinking something low impact? The other thing you could try is to only do upper body exercises/weights so you are a least getting a work out in for your upper body but not messing with your leg. You will get through this - 1 day at a time right now.:flowerforyou:

Happy Monday to All!!!! I hope you all have a great productive day. :smile:
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Monday is bittersweet. I appreciate the routine but dread the work week, lol.

Ugh - no snow here but it is cold. I'm beyond ready for summer time and hot weather.

Alf - so hard to both be in a tough spot and not have our go to coping mechanism! Hope you heal fast and can find something to lift your spirits.

The European vacation sounds amazing! I don't vacation every year but this year I am! We are going to Charleston, SC for two weeks. I can't wait - will try to squeeze a beach trip and site seeing in. I have some family there. We are flying - first time my kids have been on a plane.

I'm in South Dakota so major cities are hard to come by ;) I live about 200 miles from Omaha and 315 miles from Minneapolis. SD's 'city' is Sioux Falls and I'm about 80 miles from that.

I haven't lost an ounce in 17 days. I keep track of everything so that is weird. I moved my calories back down a tiny bit. I'll keep plugging away.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouraging words. I need to do something. I haven't left the house since Thursday!! I have to go to work tomorrow so that should do it. I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and move on. :grumble: I just get mad and frustrated because lately it seems that when everything is going well with my body something happens to screw things up!!!! Sometimes I just feel like giving up and not try so hard...:mad: Ok enough!!!!

Cardigirl, so great to see you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Ahhh Europe, love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lived in Germany for 6 years. We travelled all over Europe. I would love to go back to visit. I would really love to go to Greece and Portugal. My grandfather was from Portugal.

Bounce, my sister lives close to Charleston. It is a nice city. My nephew goes to Citadel there.

Have a wonderful day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    I would love to go to Greece and Portugal too, Alf....won't happen this trip, but someday. Actually ANYWHERE on the mediterranean I really want to see! Turkey, I hear is BEAUTIFUL!

I got my lifting in-and-done for today. BOOM!
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouraging words. I need to do something. I haven't left the house since Thursday!! I have to go to work tomorrow so that should do it. I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and move on. :grumble: I just get mad and frustrated because lately it seems that when everything is going well with my body something happens to screw things up!!!! Sometimes I just feel like giving up and not try so hard...:mad: Ok enough!!!!

Cardigirl, so great to see you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Ahhh Europe, love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lived in Germany for 6 years. We travelled all over Europe. I would love to go back to visit. I would really love to go to Greece and Portugal. My grandfather was from Portugal.

Bounce, my sister lives close to Charleston. It is a nice city. My nephew goes to Citadel there.

Have a wonderful day!!! :flowerforyou:

hi Alf, :flowerforyou:

I'm a Brit but I lived in Portugal, on The Algarve for 10 years, LOVED it!!
    where was your Grandfather from?