40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Beeps, that was soooo funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I liked the photo of the competition guy, LOL, before Arnold's picture. :laugh: But oh so true, yes, pick up those heavy weights. Increase gradually though...I have gotten hurt in the past yes so I am very cautious. But I don't get stuck in the 5-10lb dumbbells. I really need to invest in a barbell set but I don't have space in the house for it. I don't go to the gym anymore. So my set of Bowflex adjustable weights can do the job right now...

Thank you to all of you for the kind words. I have been at goal weight before, about 2 yrs ago, actually below, 122. But I got too comfortable and went back to old habits and poof, "magically", the weight crept up again!!!!!!!!!!! I think 122 is way too low for me so 125 is my lucky number. Hope to keep it this way, 1 to 3 give or take. So will see, maintenance is the hardest!!!! :grumble: I am still learning. I am not the same person since I joined MFP in 2008 especially when we are talking nutrition. The old me thought a calorie but just a calorie now I try my best to eat healthy foods and not so much processed junk. The old me thought I could eat anything I wanted as long as I was exercising, NOPE, I know better now.

Have a great evening!!! :flowerforyou:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Beeps, love the bare naked ladies. That was the very first song if theirs I heard many years ago. They were guests on Morningside. 2 points if you know what that is and who the host was!!
    Oh, BTW, you look great in the green dress.
    Alf, congrats on getting to goal! I knew you would do it!!

Ruby, great job getting back to it.

I was not feeling well at all last night, so missed my workout. :sad:
    Felt better as the day went on, so got my run in (only 30 min) and then Was off to curling. Lost the game. Bummer.

You kids are all doing fan-tas-tic! :drinker:
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    If you have a specific injury, perhaps bodyweight counts....otherwise, pick up the free weights and DO THEM.

This is my NEW favourite youtube - "Do you even Lift?" by the broscience dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloLS5kTrVs&list=PLNc1qxyOcbs0Mrray73WBkGlpR2gi7Emt

Thanks
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day all! I have been sick for the last several days, and still feeling under the weather, but am back at work today with my aloe infused tissues in hand. My nose is so sore! No workouts as breathing has been more difficult since my nose has been so plugged. Also, my grandson is at the house today and tomorrow. My next scheduled gym day is Friday so hoping that I am feeling much better by then.

Alf- congrats on reaching your goal. Your snack bars sound yummy- too bad about your nutribullet though.

Beeps- Loved the green dress! Very cute!

Have a great day all!
  • Mekatluvr
    Mekatluvr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

As I wait for my sytems at work to load up, I have a feeling they don't want to work today because it's been ten minutes and I'm still waiting lol, wanted to say good morning and hope everyone will have a great day!

Oh! I'm 42 and I'm loving every moment I'm learning what my body is capable of! :)
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I'm hoping to join the cool kids :) I'm 44 so I got that going for me - ha!

I just read back a few posts. I love BNL too. How can you not?

Oh - and funny video. haha I don't do any lifting. I might like to some day. I'm doing 20 minute DVD's now and once I get to my goal weight I'll see what's next. I don't have a gym here so have to get organized to figure out what I should be doing.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    sdereski, barenaked ladies were EVERYWHERE when I was in university! Love 'em still!

faytwain - you are welcome....but, you also didn't answer the question: "Do you even lift???"

KellySue - I hope your grandson doesn't catch your cold...if I was his mama, I'd be keeping him the HECK away from YOU, ya know, lol....you are VERY grateful I am not his mama....

Mekatluvr - what does your handle mean?!?!?!?

Bounce - how come you don't lift?!?!? Huh?? Go lift something heavy - go do that.

TODAY, I LIFT!!
  • Bounce4
    Options
    I don't lift mostly because I don't know what to do, lol. I have to figure out what to do at home - on the cheap. :)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

As I wait for my sytems at work to load up, I have a feeling they don't want to work today because it's been ten minutes and I'm still waiting lol, wanted to say good morning and hope everyone will have a great day!

Oh! I'm 42 and I'm loving every moment I'm learning what my body is capable of! :)

Mekatuvl, congrats on your weightloss!!!! :drinker: :drinker:

KellySue, I hope you get better soon!!! :drinker: :drinker: to feeling better on Fri to workout!!! :drinker: :drinker:

I did a mini bodyweight challenge this morning. Zumba tonight!! :flowerforyou:
  • KellySue67
    Options

KellySue - I hope your grandson doesn't catch your cold...if I was his mama, I'd be keeping him the HECK away from YOU, ya know, lol....you are VERY grateful I am not his mama....

Beeps~ :laugh: :laugh: It's all good. I have been on antibiotics for three days. I am over the contagious stage at this point. I definitely make sure to stay out of his face though. Lucky for me he is not at a "huggie/kissie" stage. He is too busy being a boy for that!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I hope you are all having a great day. Worked and then did some cardio walking/running on the treadmill after work. Cold here today. I am getting up at 5:30 the last couple of days to do my morning workouts. I feel like a ZOMBIE:sick: even my coffee is not waking me up. I had to switch to energy drinks yesterday. It will get easier. (right?)

Kelly - sorry to hear you are sick. I know how you feel, everything is so much harder. I am feeling alot better but still not 100%. I end my meds tomorrow so I am happy about that. I hope you had a good time with your little grandson today:smile:

Alf - have fun at Zumba tonight. Make sure you work your students hard!!!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Happy First Day of Spring (Northern Hemisphere MFP) Picking up our bikes today. Planning on a short bike ride. Suppose to be gorgeous here today. Also planning on a short run tonight at the track. I have another 5k April 19th. Want to start conditioning my body to run outdoors. Going to repeat some of the c25k weeks again to help. Hope everyone has a great day!!!
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Looks like I can finally get a nice long walk in this morning...I love spring! Hope everyone has a fabulous day!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Its' spring?
    Not here. Another 10cm of snow fell yesterday and last night. :grumble:
    It is bit a milder out there today, so hoping some of that will melt away.

Kelly - glad to hear you are feeling better. Darn colds! I was really feeling awful yesterday, but feel much better today. I think going to bed early certainly helps.

Had a good eating / workout day yesterday. Got my water in. I think I need more than 2L/day though. After all that was up 0.2lbs this morning!! :grumble: And , I was so excited to step on the scale because I thought I would see at least a 0.5lb loss! Joke was on me!

For those of you living in spring, enjoy!!!

For the rest of us still living in winter, I am sure it will come..............sometime. :wink:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    Bounce4 - NROL4W is maybe $18 at the bookstore....and you can do that program at home....so, go do THAT!

KellySue - whew that you aren't contagious!

ruby70 - omg at getting up that early....just, omg

faytwain - it's friggin' snowing here....screw spring, apparently this winter is NEVER GOING TO END.

caneinit - nice for a walk....I'd love one....

sdereski - f*cking winter. The end.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hey cool kids!

ruby70 - nope...been doing the gym @ 5:30a for a year now and noop...it hasn't gotten any easier...sorry to say. Only benefit I can see is getting it out of the way

Bounce - welcome! No reason to wait to start lifting heavy stuff. You can get kettleballs or dumbbells at WalMart pretty cheap... Start now to help prevent muscle loss during weight loss

KellySue - Hope you kick that cold soon - get some chicken noodle soup and rest as much as possible

Spring must be on its way here - I saw something green poking out of the ground yesterday - woo hoo! can't wait for snow to melt, I want to get to running outside again soon too - I've got a 5k at the end of April. Been getting it done on treadmill but it's just not the same as outdoors

sdereski - .2lbs?! don't sweat it! that's practically a BM and gone! LOL Hope you see better movement on the scale soon
  • ruby70
    Options
    so nice to hear from everyone this morning & see all the activity

Nice2Bfit - I was really hoping to hear the 5:30 am workout would get easier. This morning I really wanted to punch the TV as Chalene was telling me to get EXTREME and my muscles were screaming to stop. I told my husband he may want to remove any hammers near by if he wants our Big screen TV to stay in one piece. My only motavation right now is I have went down one pant size.

I had a 2-3 lb gain this week - I wanted to give up yesterday but then got myself back in check. I am still P*ssed about the gain but the scale is only one measurement, right?

Beeps & Sederski -I hope a sign of spring comes for you Canadian girls soon. Wisconsin has been a little better but by no means great. Still brisk and no tulips for me.
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Hi All! Feeling better today than yesterday. Not 100% yet, but moving in the right direction. Tomorrow is a scheduled gym day. Looking forward to getting back there.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!!
  • Bounce4
    Options
    What a great group in this thread!

KellySue - glad to hear you are on the mend.

I didn't go my work out this morning - up all night and early morning for work. I might try to do it tonight or will take today as my rest day instead of Sunday.

Thank you for the lifting recommendations and encouragement!!. NROL4W is in my Amazon cart along with one called
    Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness I'll have to look them over and order one by the end of the week. Basically anything that tells me exactly what to do is what I need, lol.
  • ruby70
    Options
    Bounce - Awesome job for getting that order placed for the NROL4W!!! You are on your way to success.:drinker: