40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,996 Member
    Options
    Today, I lift!

It is *date night* tonight, although we are going out with some work colleagues of my husband's....I did wear a pretty (spring!) dress.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Awesome lift workout today!!! I kinda like this whole 30 deal. I cooked some delicious recipes yesterday!! Yum!

Beeps, I used to eat something light or over an hour before doing Bikram but I never felt comfortable. Now that I do it fasted I feel much much better!!! Have fun on your date night!

Kellysue, definitely be careful if you are a diabetic. Maybe look into eliminating certain foods for an attempt to reverse diabetes. One interesting read: http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/05/20/5-steps-to-reversing-type-2-diabetes-and-insulin-resistance/
    Of course consult with your doctor but unfortunately some doctors only want to treat their patients with medication and don't "believe" in the power of foods that are healing. They wouldn't make any money if people got healthy from eating nutritious foods.

:flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...I am soooooooooo tired that I want this dinner thing to be canceled. It has already been postponed until 7 pm. I missed my lunch-time work-out due to (unscheduled) meetings.

Ugh.

I just want to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. This time change is NOT agreeing with me (yet!).
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all,

I am reading messages of spring weather, however, we are still in the middle of a deep freeze. Am so over this winter!
    We had 2 nice days where we got a glimpse of spring around the corner and in less than 24 hours, the temps plummeted. :grumble:

Beeps, how was date night after all? I know you were tired, but hope in the end you did enjoy it.

Kelly Sue, you are doing so, so well for a diabetic. You are losing consistently, and your meds are being decreased! :drinker: I wouldn't worry about fasting. You need to very vigilant with your blood sugar levels. Keep up that great work.

Alf - I wish we had Bikram here . Everyone that I know of that has tried it, really, really enjoys it.

Got my run in yesterday. Some days, those runs are just so darn hard to do. I know I feel better afterward, but at the time, it is a major mind game to keep on going.

Am hosting bridge tonight, so made my dessert last night. It's a new one, and not one that I will be eating. Some carmel filled peanut butter cookie cups. Similar to a chocolate explosion cake??? Anyway, they look like they may turn out okay. You have to freeze them and then bake from frozen. If they're flops, after I bake them, I do have a homemade chocolate cake in the freezer as back up. :laugh: (My husband has a terrible sweet tooth) I have quit eating dessert at bridge as I find it destroys all the work I do during the week, and I lose weight slow enough as it is.
    The whole calorie in / calorie out thing doesn't work for me, despite being at a huge deficit at the end of the week, I could still gain after one cheat meal. :tongue:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday all. Much brighter day today, but very cold and over a foot of snow since about 8:00am yesterday. shoveling really stunk last night- very heavy and frozen in some spots. I think I had about 1/4inch of ice on my windshield this morning to boot. I am so ready for this to be over.

Alf- thanks for the article. I will definitely look into it when I have a bit more time. My doctor has been really great about decreasing my medication. I am only on one med at a very small dose now and am hoping to be off from that completely at some point. A lot of my issue with the diabetes was due to weight gain and poor eating choices, so I am hoping to get back to being able to control it with diet and exercise alone eventually.

Beeps and Sdereski- Thanks! Calories in/Calories out has been very helpful to me. I also need to make sure I keep up with the exercise part as well. I have tried to do this with just dieting alone before and it doesn't work so well. I will keep pressing on!

I have a late day today- I won't be done with work until about 8:00pm tonight. Hopefully it will be a bit better driving home. I did get a chuckle this morning when I saw someone snow shoeing around the city to get around all of the places that haven't been shoveled yet today.

Have a good one!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sdereski - I hope bridge night is fun!! One day, I will find a female partner and I will play....not with my husband, perhaps finding a "stranger" partner so I don't ruin any pre=existing relationships, lol!

Date night didn't happen....it actually was date night with a twist - because it was set up with husband's colleagues and one other "spouse". I was too exhausted, I had one sick kid at home, so I bailed! I don't mind that I did...I think they mostly talked "business" and therefore, the date night part was a total hijack, anyway!

Hi Kelly!

Since I didn't get to lift, yesterday, I am squishing it in, today....I just desperately do NOT want DOMs, so I have to keep trudging along...
  • calico_cat
    calico_cat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello, just thought I would introduce myself. I am 48 and live in GA, am married and have two young daughters. I have always been slightly overweight, but now need to lose over 50 lbs. I have lost weight in the past but have always gained it back, and now am 15 lbs under my all-time highest weight. I am looking for a way to lose the weight and keep it off with a healthier lifestyle. Looking forward to reading all your posts.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi calico! What are you choosing to do as your method to lose the weight...and permanently!?!?!?!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    just checking in to say "hi". It has been a busy week...

Alf, I did not know of your son's challenges, thank you for sharing!:wink: You are very inspiring to me. You stay so motivated and involved and seem to have TONS of energy. I think it is hard for me to balance my home front & life sometimes and do not have anyone with disabilities. Your son sounds like he is amazing!

Kelly - I did not know you are diabetic. You are really doing well with your weight loss.:drinker: I believe you can reach your goal of no medicine in the future.

Sederski - I hope you get a sign of spring soon. It has been much nicer here this week and we have some melting going on. Everyone has been so much happier. I really was starting to think we were all going nuts for awhile (I think we were).:noway: It is amazing how warm 40 degrees feels. People were out in t shirts.

Nice - good luck on your upcoming surgery with your veins. Try to stay strong! I know it is hard when you have a set back and can't push through as hard as you want but you will get there again.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    KellySue, I am happy to hear that you are moving into the right direction!!! :drinker: :drinker: If you continue the great work you will be reversing diabetes before you know it!!!! :flowerforyou:

Hi Calico, share with us what your nutrition and fitness goals are!!! :flowerforyou:

I had a great workout this morning before going to work. My son is safely home. We wanted to stop by somewhere for dinner yesterday and asked him and he said "no no no home" Aww he just wanted to go home. So we ate dinner at home which was great because I had healthy leftovers from all the yummy cooking I've been doing lately since I started the whole30 program. :wink:

Have a great evening!! :flowerforyou:
  • ruby70
    Options
    Officially I hit the 10 lbs lost mark this morning. I am so EXCITED! That was my 1st long term goal and I did it!!!!
    Thank you for this thread and all of your ideas and support. It has helped me find hope again that I can do this. I have not had
    that hope in about 2 years.

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FRIENDS! I hope you all have a great day!:drinker:
  • Mariposa2479
    Mariposa2479 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I'm Robin and fairly new to MFP. So glad to see a "40's" club on here! I am attempting to reach out on this website, and join like-minded people like yourselves. I trained for and ran a 5k last spring (my first), and then I fell off the wagon. I want to get back to where I was last year. I could stand to lose about 20 pounds, but I mainly want to join the fitness band wagon my family is on. I want to feel better, look better, and be around for a long time for my hubby, kids and grand children! Great to meet you all!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Happy Friday!! I am doing a happy dance for the week finally being over! I have been tired this week. Not sure what the issue is. In any event, I did get my workout in this morning, but I was a bit disappointed when I stepped on the scale this morning and I was up a pound. I am hoping it is just water weight. I only weigh weekly and it's just about the same time every week. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Alf- that is so sweet that your son just wanted to go home. I work with people who have all sorts of disabilities. It is rewarding and fun!

Everyone have a great day.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ruby70 - CONGRATULATIONS!! Great work you are doing!!

Mariposa - welcome aboard!!

KellySue- don't you think the "tired" is ALL ABOUT the "time change"?!?!? IT IS FOR ME.....this week has been ABSOLUTELY GRUELING and I cannot WAIT for the weekend, even though it is full of 100% kidlet activities....I DON;'T CARE. I just don;'t want an alarm clock, lol!!

I have to weigh-in, today, too....but I have kept my calories in good check this week - I may not lose a lot, but I also do not believe I have gained.

TODAY I LIFT!

BOOM!
  • calico_cat
    calico_cat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, Mariposa. I'm new here, too.

Ruby70 - Congrats on your 10 lb mark! Great job. Looking forward to when I can revisit that milestone.

As for me, my goals are to lose about 60 lbs (as embarassing as that is), and to be more fit and active. I have a lot of challenges. For one, I have severe back pain due to scoliosis (curved spine) and a prior accident, and I am very top heavy, which exacerbates my back pain. I really need breast reduction surgery, but have been putting it off. A doctor I consulted with said that I am so big that I would definitely be approved for the surgery by insurance (their guidelines are strict) and he has only been able to say that about a patient a few times before. I don't know if I will get the surgery, though. It's a scary proposition.

Another challenge is quite a lot of fatigue. Not sure what is causing it.

I have been following a pattern of diet/calorie restriction and logging my calories. I have a FitBit and so far all it has been able to tell me is how inactive I am versus my calorie intake. That information is useful. I now know I have to get some exercise in to get this weight loss thing going. That will be hard, but I am willing. Will try some physical therapy exercises I used to do during a very severe episode of back pain I had, and some cardio on an eliptical I have.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here. I will be 41 in June, so I guess I'm one of the cool kids :bigsmile: . I read some of the thread, and enjoyed reading the posts. Hope I can join in and chat once in a while.

Have a great weekend everyone.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, here are some pictures of the ice caves. Hope this works!

Enjoy!

21a78d66-756d-4280-89dc-969c97809da7.jpg

20140313_152016.jpg

20140313_150913.jpg
  • KellySue67
    Options
    sdereski~ Love the pics. They are so cool looking. Glad you finally got a chance to go exploring!

Beeps~ It could be the time change. Maybe it seems harder to get up because it is so dark out. I will say that I am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow!! We will be heading to the gym later in the morning so it will be nice to get some extra zzz!

Have a great weekend!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Those pictures are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ruby70
    Options
    Love the pictures of the ice caves. Thanks for sharing the beauty!!!