40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Certainly is a lot of activity this weekend! Good stuff!

Beeps, love the picture! thank you for posting / sharing. Certainly hope all went well wit your surgery.

Kelly - woot! woot! Great job on holding that plank! Good job overall with your workouts, and adding some strength training to your routine.

Alf - a 5 minute plank?!:drinker: Pure awesome!

Ruby - where do you live? I literally live on the north shore of Lake Superior. Lots of kayaking and ice fishing in my area. This weekend was brutal cold with temperatures dipping to -45C with the windchill. This morning it was -41C. WAAYYY too cold for me. I enjoy ice fishing in April when the temperatures are much milder and the sun is nice and bright.

Got my long run in today. Did a 12m treadmill run in 2 hours (with warm up and cool down walks). This is the first time in 13 years that I have done such a long treadmill run. But due to weather and snow, just couldn't do it outside. Too cold and there are no shoulders on the highway to speak of because of all the snow we have. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it certainly helps to be mentally prepared. :tongue:

Relaxing and watching the Oscars now. :happy:

Have a great night all. :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,989 Member
    Options
    Hi! Let's just say the time in the doc's office was HORRIBLE. I fainted (which was planned for - I was lying down, I didn't look, etc., etc.), but then I had a seizure, too.

:(

I have 2 stitches, now, and have not felt "well" since this whole she-bang started.

I enjoyed the Oscars....ANY "distraction" right now is a good one. In my STOIC attempt to RETURN TO MY NORMAL, I am going to lift, today. I won't bang out anything heavy, but I need to go through the motions, etc.

I am also returning to my slight calorie deficit....I'd like to make sure the scale is trending back downward. My holiday is a week behind me and it is time to get smart about my food choices, etc.

Hi everybody! GO have a GOOD week and make sure you MAKE IT COUNT.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I finished the c25k program This Saturday Im doing my first 5k.barring any snow ice or hail
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Um,Beeps, you may have explained this, but I did not read all the past threads. How did you get a sea urchin to attack you? Just kidding. I thought they were fairly sedentary. Did you accidentally touch one while swimming? This is why I do not swim in waters where anything is alive. Totally creeps me out. I am a real sissy about that. Give me a pool any day.

Slendersandy (hope I got the name right) welcome. The whole slowed down metabolism is awful. My son decides to lose weight and, while he watches what he eats, he doesn't count calories and the weight comes off. Me....I must obssesivly (ok I cannot get that word spelled correctly) count calories or....nothing. When I lost the large part of my weight I was pre-menopausal. While it wasn't easy, it wasn't as hard losing as it is now! Even my always skinny sister has developed a little menopausal tummy. I heard a nutritionist say that menopause does not mean an automatic weight gain....which may be true for someone that weighs daily and always watches what they eat and doesn't miss the gain. My sister never had to watch what she ate (she was naturally a light eater) and her little tummy and weight gain surprised the beans out of her when one day she noticed all her pants were tight. I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I took some small delight in that.

Oh well, it can be done. Have a good week!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did a full front-stroke, with my right hand, through an (unseen) sea urchin's 12-inch long stingers.

The end.
  • skinniersandycomingsoon
    Options
    Happy Monday all - after a festive weekend, it's time to get back at it. We had two parties this weekend - I was well-behaved at the first one (stayed within my calorie budget), but the other one.... not so much. And weekends are a hard time for me to work out in the winter - in the summer I'll get outside and walk/run or bike ride, but in the winter I don't do much. So, back to the gym at lunch today, and hopefully I'll pop "Ripped in 30" in the DVD player when I get home and do a round of that, too.

alf - Seriously, a 5 minute plank? Wow! Those must be some abs you have - I want 'em! :smile: Nice to be in a "club" where grandmas hang out, haha!

faytwain - I don't know where you live but it was -15 this morning here - yikes! Next weekend is the annual "Bar2Bar 5K" here in town......nice! :wink: :laugh: I don't know how people can run & drink at the same time, just the running makes me want to throw up. I ran 5K's all through my 40's, it's such a great way to stay in shape. I'd like to walk/run one this summer, for old time's sake.

Off to the gym - have a good day everyone!
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Hey folks! New to the 'cool kids' forum and wanted to say hello. My wife and I are currently on a 3x a week workout schedule since the new years ( I started during my latest deployment and continued when I got back to the great U.S. of A) My wife is already 9lbs down and doing fantastic!

I wanted to share some reading I came across as it pertains so well to my wife and I:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sisco14.htm

Other than that, hope you folks have/had a great Monday! See you at the gym
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Got my lifting in-and-done...problem now is I can't figure out how to get my weigh-lifting glove, off, without pressing on my pinky-pad (which is stitched and sore). Going on, I was pretty excited because my gauze pad held and I got my work-out done....then, in the change room afterward, I'm kinda like, "ruh-roh...."

I'm still wearing the weight-lifting glove as I type this, lol!
  • sdereski
    Options
    OH Beeps you certainly are a die hard! After that horrible experience, you still went out and lifted. I can understand wanting some sense of normalcy back after the week of vacation and post week of uncertainties.

Got my long run in yesterday. Did a 12 mile treadmill run. Wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Once I had it my head I was going to run for 2 hours on the darn thing, it actually went okay. I did take a walk break after 1 hour and had something to drink, then back at it.

Brutal cold here this past weekend and it continues into this week. SO SICK OF THE COLD!!! I can handle winter, but not this gawd awful, bone-chilling cold. :noway: :noway: :noway:

Am staring to get the sniffles. I was so chilled when I came into work this morning. I had better not be getting another nasty cold!

My son caught 2 fish during the derby, but not big enough to qualify for prizes. he said the cold was awful, so much so, that it wore them right out.

At least the sun is bright out there. At least that's something.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Oh Beeps, fainted?? Poor thing! And a seizure! You are on your way now to healing your hand. :flowerforyou:

I had a very busy weekend but still got my workouts in. I managed to lose a couple a pounds from last week. :drinker: I am so close yet so far to my goal. :noway: :grumble: Focusing on eating clean this week and planning on starting the Whole30 program next Sunday. We will see what happens. I need a boost and I am not so sure it should be more exercise.

Glad to hear from so many!!!! Hey, wait a minute, who jinxed our weather down here????? We went from high 70's to low 30's high 20's in less than 24 hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talking about bipolar weather here!!! :laugh:

Teaching Zumba tonight!!! :drinker:

:flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options

Brutal cold here this past weekend and it continues into this week. SO SICK OF THE COLD!!! I can handle winter, but not this gawd awful, bone-chilling cold. :noway: :noway: :noway:

I friggin' think the WEATHER, the DARK, the neverENDING winter is causing EVERYONE TO GO STIR CRAZY!!!!!!!!

Everyone is in a rut, is sick, can't concentrate or sleep.

AAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Alf, congrats on the lost poundage!!!!!!!!! That seems awesome!! I bet you are REALLY close to your goal and you're gonna tackle March with MAGIC!!

:)

I got my lifting glove off - my paralegal helped.

:)
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    [

Glad to hear from so many!!!! Hey, wait a minute, who jinxed our weather down here????? We went from high 70's to low 30's high 20's in less than 24 hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talking about bipolar weather here!!! :
    :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

Haha. That's karma for you.... All that bragging last week Bout 70/80 degree weather. LOL. Hopefully it'll be a quick moving front for you.

Welcome newcomers!

Good luck getting that glove off Beeps! Be careful.

Got w1d2 done of my strength training - felt good.

12 mile run sederski!! I'm impressed. I can't run longer than 15 minutes. I've done the c25k program a few times. I know I can probably do better but I get bored I guess. I'd rather do intervals.

Have a good night all!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Nice2bfit, I KNOW it was you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: its ok, I like wearing my boots. LOL

I did my lifting this morning. After work I am planning to do a couple of short challenges.

Beeps, I can only hope :ohwell: :noway: The last 5 lbs are sooooo hard to lose!!! I should just stop trying and focus on maintaining and getting stronger and of course my nutrition.

Have a fabulous Tuesday!!! Oh, it is Fat Tuesday! I really don't celebrate it but have fun if you do!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yes, somewhere, somebody is having fun at mardi gras....

It's a blizzard here.

Oh well! My calories are back-in-check. My workout helped me feel better (although I'm having some DOMs, not too, too bad, today....). I slept well.

Smiles all around, 40 +'ers!!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Got my cardio in this morning - all is good. Looking forward to lifting heavy things tomorrow :)

I am a bit nervous - I have a procedure on Friday to get rid of some spider veins and I can't work out for a week after - I don't want to lose any ground fitness wise - I will be extra diligent with my calorie intake and hope for the best...:frown:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Fat Tuesday! Such a funny name!! HaHa! It has been a busy few days for me. Took Jake swimming on Saturday. He did enjoy himself, but was very quiet and watched the other kids in the pool. He's such a people watcher!! Sunday we went and did some shopping. I wanted to go to the gym, but my husband had other plans and had places that he wanted to go.

Yesterday I did make it to the gym early in the morning and did my interval training workout and was able to run every time I was supposed to- Yeah! We then took Jake and our daughter- who's birthday was Sunday, to the National Museum of Play in Rochester. We had so much fun and Jake loved it there! There was so much for him to do and he was so tired by the time we got done!!

Today, I did not workout. My daughter is going to be taking a long term substitute postition for the rest of the school year in a school district that is about 40 minutes from where we live and has to be there at 7:00am. She had to go meet with the principal today at 7:00 and dropped Jake off to us a little after 6:00- which will be the schedule for us on Tuesdays/Thursdays and every other Wednesday. I am hoping this weather starts to get a bit warmer soon so that can walk on my lunch breaks.

Have a good day all!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Nice2BeFit, you won't lose any ground, fitness-wise, to take the necessary time off to recuperate! Just keep your calories in check!!

KellySue - your daughter is VERRRRRRRYYYYY lucky to have you, as a childcare resource, for sure!! I have zero family members in this city (which is partially why we keep employing a full-time nanny) and I can tell her that for you if you want!

BOOM!
  • sdereski
    Options
    happy mardi gras cool kids. Guess it's probably a good day for pancakes for supper. :wink: :wink:

Beeps, you are right - this winter is getting everyone down. I am now sick. Nasty cold got me yesterday, so no workout yesterday. Was feeling so awful. Today, no better. In fact, I feel even worse. I am going to head home right after work to REST.
    I've been drinking hot tea by the cup fulls. A good way to get my water in when I am feeling chilled.

Kelly Sue - I agree with Beeps. Your daughter is very lucky to have you. I can relate, as I had family members here to help me when my boys were young as well. They were a GOD SEND!! It was so cute, as my youngest son, at 6, was telling a stranger how lucky he was because he had a grandma & grandpa; a nonna & nonno and a Mormor. Now, how wise was he to recognize how fortunate he was to have so much extended family living in the same town. :happy: Twenty five years later, we only have a grandma left.

Alf, great job on losing that weight. I know the last 5 lbs are always tough, but you seem to be on a mission, so you will get it done.

Nice - good luck with your surgery. You won't lose much in a week. There is this amazing thing called Muscle Memory. :happy:

Have a great day all.
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well back here at work again after my month off. Weather was just hot, from 80 - 100 deg for the whole time I was home, we had to be out early to take the dog out before it was too hot for him. It was too hot to go out on my bike so had a relatively easy month exercise wise except for my dog walks. But was mostly good with food intake, decided I will never eat at a buffet restaurant again, too much temptation - just a spoon of this.. a piece of that, and then the nightmare when you get home and try and add it all on MFP!.
    But good news after a fairly slow start with weight loss, I finally have got things moving at more or less the ratte of weight loss I was looking for.
    So now back to daily workouts in the site gym and lots of soft sand walking as it warms up here in Abu Dhabi, and careful portion control here as well. I have brought a new scale here with me so I can weigh my food here as well and take away the guestimation in my food quantities that I am eating here.
    Hopefully all you guys will soon have a Spring and your never ending winter will come to an end and you can all come out of hibernation!