40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all,

Welcome back Beeps! Great job getting right back into the workouts, despite your bitten hands. Those look nasty!

Got my run in yesterday and then suffered a nasty Charlie horse in my one calf when I got home. Yikes! did that hurt.

This morning, all feels fine, but will only do my strength workout.

Bridge night tonight, so another LONG day!

Have a good one!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,989 Member
    Options
    Lifting works, BFit, you'll love NROL4W!

Hi sdereski!

I'm at the dr office waiting to see what she says about all the sea urchin stingers buried in my skin...

But, no DOMs from yesterday. I'll lift again tomorrow and add a little bit more weight!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi Cool Kids,

Got up at 5:30 this morning and did my strength training on Chalene Extreme, tomorrow will complete the 1st week of the 90 day program. I am really loving it, it has been kicking me pretty good but love to feel the hurt. I know it is working.

Nice2bfit - great job on getting up and getting your strength training done this morning.:drinker: I love the mornings this week when I have been getting up and getting my weight workout.

Beeps- good luck with your hand today, I hope they can get you feeling better soon! Way to still go to the gym and push through it.

Sdereski - nice run yesterday, Charlie horses are not fun... I feel for you.

Have a great day kids!:smile:
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Here is a good website for body weight exercises, cardio and strength training. www.bodyrock.tv
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    :sad:

I actually was at the dr. today and have to have 3 of the sea urchin stingers surgically removed....so, tomorrow it is! (they just freeze the pinky and start digging, I think....ugh....)

So, my lifting won't be tomorrow. Maybe Saturday. Will see how I feel. I'm nauseous just thinking about it....
  • ruby70
    Options
    Oh beeps....I am sad to hear that. I am glad you went to the doctor to get it checked out. I will be thinking of you. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Beeps, oh no!!!! Good luck!!! I hope everything turns out well!!! :flowerforyou:

Ruby, I am happy to hear you like ChaLean Extreme. I absolutely love it. I keep going back to it. :drinker:

befit, I am doing now NROL Supercharged! I am on the sixth week. I like this one because we get to create our own workouts from all the exercises suggested in the book. I did NROL4W and 4abs. Have fun and yes, strength training totally works!!!!!!!

Have a great evening!!! :flowerforyou:
  • sdereski
    Options
    :sad:

I actually was at the dr. today and have to have 3 of the sea urchin stingers surgically removed....so, tomorrow it is! (they just freeze the pinky and start digging, I think....ugh....)

So, my lifting won't be tomorrow. Maybe Saturday. Will see how I feel. I'm nauseous just thinking about it....

Oh dear!! :noway: They did look nasty. Better to get them out in case they get infected. Geesh! Who would have thought??? ((hugs)) Wishing you a SPEEDY recovery!
  • sdereski
    Options
    Good Morning Peeps,

Hats off to all of us that lift! :drinker: It is empowering for sure. I can do 30 min strength workout and am huffing and puffing more than I do after an hour long run. Both are good workouts, but there is something special about the strength training.

Got my strength workout in yesterday. I keep asking myself if it's getting any easier?? Nope. I am using heavier weights though, so there must be some improvement.

Bridge last night - had better cards than I normally do, so it was fun that way. Just shy of winning the high prize, but that's okay. It's always a good night, when I get some decent hands.

Our town's annual Ice Fishing Derby is taking place this weekend. Weather forecast - bitter cold! :tongue: I took part once and said "never again". What fun is it to stand out in the middle of a frozen lake, jigging in a hole waiting for a fish to bite? Not my idea of a good time!! However, the men in my life love it. :tongue: My youngest son is coming up with his wife to take part. Because my DH has been so ill, he is not going to take part. The lure is big fancy prizes. We'll head down to the main headquarters to check out the entries and prizes. But other than that, we will be doing our workouts.

Would love to get out on the big lake (lake Superior) to do some snowshoeing. It has completely frozen over, which happens every 12-15 years or so, so we are able to access places on foot where you would not normally be able to get to. there are some fabulous ice caves and ice formations on the fantastic rock faces - but IT IS TOO DAMN COLD! The wind on the open lake is absolutely bitter, so will have to wait for yet another weekend to attempt that. :ohwell:

good luck with your surgery Beeps. Keep us posted.

Happy Friday. :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Lifting, for me, never seems to get "easier" either....it really is a "work-out" and that is that.

1 hour until dr. I'm nervous. Will be glad when it is done.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday all!

made it to the gym at 0530 this morn for my cardio session, happy to say 30 min at 5.5 on the TM was ok. I did slow down to 4 2x for water break.

Good luck Beeps - you got this! hopefully it'll quick in and out and the get the healing started so you can get back in the groove.

sdereski sounds like a nice family weekend - enjoy!! Hopefully it'll warm up a bit so you can go explore all that natural beauty.

alf - looking forward to getting stronger and hopefully leaner :)
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Beeps- good luck with your surgery. I'm sure it will feel better once you get those stingers out.

Sdereski- sounds like you have a fun weekend planned. Even if you don't go ice fishing, still could be fun to check out all of the goings on! I also heard about the ice caves and formations when the lake freezes over- I think that they did a story on it on the weather channel a couple of weeks ago. Sounds very cool to see, but can understand why you wouldn't want to do it when it is so cold.

Today was strength day for me at the gym. Arms and legs with some short burst of fast paced cardio in between. I have added some body weight exercised to my routine as well to help strengthen my core and other body parts and was able to hold a plank for 1 minute today!! Doesn't sound like a lot, but until a week or so ago, I had never done one! My weight was down almost 2lbs as well this morning. Positives all around!

We will have Jake for the morning tomorrow and are still planning on taking him swimming at the gym tomorrow. Should be fun.

Have a good day all!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Sucky, right??

To make myself feel better, I keep reminding myself WHY I went to Mexico in the first place, lol! So, here I am, in the beautiful warmth and sunshine, soaking up local culture/history (at the tulum ruins....):

tulumlaura_zps4804c99a.jpg
  • skinniersandycomingsoon
    Options
    How neat - I just found this thread. I was feeling like somebody's mom on all the other threads, so many youngsters!

Now I can be a Cool Kid! :laugh:

I joined MFP last week, love it - very motivating. I've lost a couple of pounds so far. Hitting middle-age has been a cruel joke for me, the whole metabolism-slow-down thing.... I've watched 12-15 pounds creep on and it's time to get rid of them. We're going on a Mediterranean cruise in August and I have some clothes I want to fit into - but I also just need to get back to a healthier me.

I used to be a runner, but it just hurts too much these days. So now I do Body Pump and walk/slow jog a bit (treadmill in winter, outside in summer). It's a challenge. Thanks for the motivation everyone!
    Options
    Beeps - I see you just got back from Akumal. We usually go there twice a year (April & October) - we stay at the Hotel Akumal Caribe, or the Akumal Beach Resort. We've also stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe, and Sandos Caracol, up by Playa del Carmen. Where were you at? Those sea urchins can be nasty, I hope it heals well! Love the photo of you at the Tulum ruins - it's so pretty there, the beach below the cliffs is nice.

I love my vacations! Getting into that swimsuit is a great reason to keep in shape!
    Options
    sdereski - my dad loved ice fishing, he would always go up to Wisconsin and go on the backwaters, up by LaCrosse. Too cold for me, although as a kid I always went along.

kellysue - planks are my least favorite part of Body Pump class - I'm finally getting to where I can hold one the entire time, and even do a side plank, but it took a long time to build up to it. They must be effective because they HURT! And - your reference to Jake - are you a grandma? I'm a grandma, my daughter has a 2yo girl and a 1yo boy, so much fun. I always thought I would hate it (like it would make me feel old) but I LOVE IT!

Time for grocery shopping, then noon Body Pump. My 12yo son has a soccer game tonight (indoor, I'm in Iowa and it's only 4 degrees here today) so I'll have to figure out something fast & easy (& healthy) for dinner tonight.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

kellysue - planks are my least favorite part of Body Pump class - I'm finally getting to where I can hold one the entire time, and even do a side plank, but it took a long time to build up to it. They must be effective because they HURT! And - your reference to Jake - are you a grandma? I'm a grandma, my daughter has a 2yo girl and a 1yo boy, so much fun. I always thought I would hate it (like it would make me feel old) but I LOVE IT!

I actually thought I would hate them more than I do. I felt a realy sense of accomplishment this morning!!

Yes- I am a grandma. Jake was 14 months old on Sunday of this week. I love, love, love being a grandma!!:love:
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    TGIF!!!!

Man oh man there's alot of activity in here!

Beeps - oh my word!! That's some painful stuff, pic is beautiful tho, warm and sunny and sighhhh! Glad you had such a great time and YES, stay away from that scale for a few days!!

So glad to see everyone is truckin' along. I am sticking with watching what I am eating as my current living conditions don't allow me to get in my lifting much... I am still doing HIIT for 15 - 20 minutes in the morning tho. Regardless, I feel great and am anxious for the end of March to come so I can move in to my new place.

Have an awesome weekend everyone and keep rockin'!!
  • ruby70
    Options
    Kelly- awesome on your accomplishments this week. You are doing SOOOO good. That is such an empowering feeling to be getting stronger. I think it was hard for me to realize I was losing my strength but now I have realized it is a choice. I can be stronger now than when I was younger. And the bonus is I have learned to work smarter!!!

Sdereski - I want to see the ice caves sometime on Lake Superior. I do a lot of Kayak in the summer and would love to try it up on Lake Superior and do some exploring. They are talking cold cold cold here this weekend too. We thought about going snowmobiling but with a high of 2 that does not even sound fun.:cry: We fished in a couple tournaments here a few weeks ago and I caught nothing. I froze outside waiting for the raffles and it about ruined me for ice fishing. I don't think I will try the tournaments anymore; I am lucky to catch when the ice is not crowded.

Beeps - I love the pic, thanks for sharing. That looks beautiful there.

Whatabroad - hang in there. Remember sometimes when one door closes another wonderful door opens. Stay strong you will get through this.

I was able to knock off my last day of my week strength training workout this morning at 6:00 am. Yippee. I am so proud of myself. I have never been able to get up at 5:30 am to work out so this was a huge accomplishment for me. My jeans felt looser today, that was a great feeling. I am on fire!!!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Beeps, looking good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fiu Fiu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And look at your shoulder definition!!! :drinker: How did your medical appointment go??

skinniersandy, welcome!!!! I started this group in 2009 or so after a year in MFP. As we get older we face different struggles in life that are very different to younger people. I am also a Grandma, I have a 5 yr old granddaughter. I love her soooo much!!! I love doing things with her. I also like when people think I am her mom, I get a kick out of it. :smooched:

Planks, I LOVE planks!!! My personal best time, 5 minutes. I was in a one month long challenge and the ultimate hold was 5 minutes. :drinker: :drinker: I have no intent to break that record. :laugh: ouch!!!

Ruby, Yay for loose pants!!!!!!!!!!!! Soon you will need a new wardrobe!!

I was "bad" last night and today. :ohwell: I baked cookies last night for an event we had today and ate most of the "burnt" ones. :grumble: And at the event they were selling kettle corn and I bought a small bag. By the time I got home I had eaten half a bag. That is what I get for not eating breakfast and being prepared. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Good thing I came home and did my NROL supercharged workout, 4 sets of each exercise since I had extra time.

Have a wonderful evening!!! Who is the watching the Oscars tomorrow?? I am!!! :flowerforyou: