40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    I turned 40 in July. I joined this sight in 2013 and logged my weight once. that was a huge effort I made...lol I came back 11 days ago and so far have been here everyday. I joined a gym and have made it there lots. I am 240lbs. My first goal is to get to 199. I was 198 when I was a senior in high school. That is truly the last time I remember being under 200. I am the fat girl at the gym and that is scary but the good part of that is I am at the gym for the first time in 20 years.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Hi everyone I'm Shannon. Can I get in on this? I'm almost 42. I eat mostly clean. I am looking to shed some lbs (49 to be exact) that crept up on me in the last few years since switching to a sit down job.

After that I plan to just focus on general fitness. Right now I'm just adopting a more calorie conscious eating plan. I plan on adding in cardio in February and then in March adding weight training as well. I tend to falter if I change too much at once. Feel free to add me.

• hockeymomrw
    hockeymomrw Posts: 35 Member
    Great idea! Love seeing people my age. I am 45 and have a teenage son. Used to run a lot, have done two marathons but became rather lazy and gained 40 pounds. I've been doing P90X mixed with some jogging on the treadmill (Minnesota, icy sidewalks, you know).
  • Mzklutch
    Mzklutch Posts: 39 Member
    Well good evening Cool kids,
    I went to the gym this morning and didn't have time to post so I am posting now. It looks like everyone had a good day both physically and mentally including me too. I started the day off with a nice work out this morning and a busy day at work. I just have to keep on keeping on with this unpredictable journey of getting and staying healthy. I hope everyone has just as good weekend. Talk to ya'll later.
  • FarmallMom71
    FarmallMom71 Posts: 49 Member
    I'm 43 - I want to join too! I've lost 40... gained 15 back over xmas/new years and have lost 7 lbs of the xmas gain...sigh... I have 40 lbs to goal. I have 3 kids. Life is crazy... but I love mfp!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Hello everyone!!!! So sorry I have abandoned my own thread!!!! But I am back!!!! I am not even going to explain myself...I am here, 18 lbs gained later...yes!!! very shameful!!! The worst Holiday gain recorded to date!!! Well, at least since starting MFP back in 2008. I have lost 3 so far, woohoo!!! More later, gotta go to bed!!! Muah!!!
  • bboozer57
    bboozer57 Posts: 5 Member
    alf1163 wrote: »
    Hello 40+ Club!!! This is the first post of the new thread!!! Hope you like the title!!! Thank Chris (whoheis) or complain if you dont like it. LOL

For those who would like to join: We are a group of 40+ (40 yrs and older) peope who like to stay healthy by eating clean, exercising, etc. We support each other by providing health info, giving each other ideas on how to be healthy as we get older. Feel free to join the conversation. We usually report our weightloss/ weight gain, inches lost, struggles, goals, etc on Fridays.

What are your fitness/health goals for this year??? For me, I have started a new lifting program, New Rules of Lifting for Women. I am on my second week. My goal is to become stronger, lose fat, get leaner. I overdid it (not surprising to me) during the Holidays so I have to lose a few pounds and inches...I also want to focus on my nutrition, especially increasing my protein consumption. I am a Zumba Instructor and will of course continue with teaching my 4 classes a week.

Have a great day!!!!! :flowerforyou:

• KiwiJo42
    KiwiJo42 Posts: 66 Member
    Oh count me in too. In 42, my husband and I walk galf marathons around NZ, our goal this year is to complete 6_8 of them. I tore my hip flexor on new years eve, but three weeks out all good. Went for a five km walk today. In our age group the hardest thing to do is not to over indulge, coffee, chocolate, wine. You know what I mean ladies and hell weve certainly earned it. Fortunately, we only have one bottle between the two if us a week. Chins up lets do this.
  • Algerina9601
    Algerina9601 Posts: 55 Member
    Good morning! I going to try to be here everyday even if it's just a reminder to myself to stay on track! Today's goals, eat well, do some yoga, walk with the kids and clean the house!
    Have a great day everyone!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

Welcome to all the new guys. Take your shoes off and stay a while.

Welcome back Alf. It's so good to see your smiling face. You will have those 15 pounds whipped in no time.

I've done my AM cardio and breakfast. I don't go to work until lunch, so not sure what I'm going to get into this morning. Tonight's event is The Saddle Club's Annual Banquet. So if you count me, the average number of cowboy boots per person will be about 1.99.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend,

Larro

• alf1163
    Thanks Larro!! It is great to be back!!!

Welcome new members! Post daily your successes, struggles, etc. This is a group of highly motivated 40+ individuals who want to live a healthy life.
    I stopped teaching Zumba in early Dec. I have been a little bummed about it but lately I have not experienced knee and hip pain. I joined Gold's gym in early Nov but it wasnt until early Jan that I started using it regularly. My goal is to vary the workouts that I do especially cardio so I don't aggravate my joint issues. I did some swimming yesterday and felt awesome!!! Oh, I lost another pound this past week. C'mon!!!!

• alf1163
    Oh count me in too. In 42, my husband and I walk galf marathons around NZ, our goal this year is to complete 6_8 of them. I tore my hip flexor on new years eve, but three weeks out all good. Went for a five km walk today. In our age group the hardest thing to do is not to over indulge, coffee, chocolate, wine. You know what I mean ladies and hell weve certainly earned it. Fortunately, we only have one bottle between the two if us a week. Chins up lets do this.

Joan, you are so right!!! I overindulged from Oct to Dec and I am back again to having to lose weight. All my fault! Tore your hip flexor?? Ouch!!! I have a tear in my labrum, found it back in 2009. Both my hips are pretty messed up and all my joints hurt (mostly knees and left shoulder) but I have to keep on trucking!! LOL

• bigsisv
    bigsisv Posts: 27 Member
    I just turned 49 on the Friday and will love to join. I also need to drop about 75 lbs. Second week on my MFP and lost 4.4 lbs. my first week. I am 5'8, started going to the gym to walk on the treadmill and logging all meals. I want to fit before I turn 50 next January.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Morning Kid's !
    So I'm just checking in to let everyone know where I'm at. Josie's tantrums are really getting out of control. My husband wants her to be put on medication. She has started hitting, kicking, slinging things across the room, and will go get a toy to hit you with. Screaming things like " I don't want you! ", " I Josie! ", " Go away !", and then " Pick me up !" so she can try to hit/kick me.
    They are lasting anywhere from 20 - 30 minutes.

So if I'm quiet... you know what I'm dealing with. Hope all of you are well and happy on your journey to being healthy.
  • Algerina9601
    Algerina9601 Posts: 55 Member
    Good morning!

I didn't do too Terrible yesterday, are well but I can't find an exercise that I can tolerate. My foot was crushed by a car in Sept and I have nerve damage, I t makes even walking painful. So I will keep experimenting. Have a great day!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Happy Monday 40+ crew!! I signed up at the rec center on Saturday and went and ran intervals today! WooHoo!! :joy: Now to keep the eating on track as well!

Hubby is doing OK. He has good days and not so good days still. Saturday was not his best. He was turning pages in his dictionary that wasn't there. :cry: I am so hoping this gets better soon. It has been loonngg three months!!

Hope you all have a good day!!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    edited January 2015
    Alf, so glad to see you and hear you are okay. I have missed you. Sounds like you are moving in the right direction..... my Oct - Dec were dreadful as well. That is okay we are back on track now so watch out :)

Kate - I will pray for you. I am so sorry to hear Josie is having such a terrible time. That is very hard to know what to do. Medication is a really hard choice to make when they are so young. Stay strong and I hope it will pass soon.

Kelly - I have you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers too. You have been through so much. I love your dedication to keep on going and making some time for yourself. You have to do that, that will keep you going.

I am licking my wounds from the horrible loss of my Packers Game yesterday. I did not even want to come to work today after such a bummer ending. I am going to focus on getting in over 10,000 steps today and start back on my weight lifting tonight when I get home from work. Onwards and Upwards.

I hope you all have a great Monday!!!!
  • larrodarro
    Hey everybody.

Hope all is doing well. I got my lifting and cardio in early this morning. We went to Panama City yesterday and I was so whupped, I went to bed way too early, thus woke up way too early. But I had a lot to do today, so I guess it was alright.

Margie had the day off due to the holiday, and we ran to Marianna after my workout to pick me up a bike. I thought the stationary bike would have me ready for it. Not. I'm going to be sore tomorrow. It's been a long time since I rode a bike.

Got to run. I may check back in later,

Larro

017cslqh2jqf.jpg
  • larrodarro
    Beard Update

etxfczig4ir0.jpg

The beard is about a month old. The rest of me is 54 today.

Larro
  • Coming on board. Let's do this!