40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    $9k quote for my daughter's orthodontics! We wait until Thursday for son's quote...

Let's just say I am OFFICIALLY in a "no spend" month. Perhaps a "no spend" year.

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Can't lift tomorrow due to all the dr/dentist/ortho check-ups we crammed into kids' spring break week, lol!

I will lift on friday.
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Still not home yet.. had to work a few more days... so no weigh in until after the weekend....

Beeps - My daughter's were $6000 .. but we get $2000 back through health insurance.... still a big hole in the family budget....

Welcome to all the new cool kids....and keep on going everyone!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I know, I need to take it easy...BUT it is soooooo hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least I am not teaching yet. As much as I want to start teaching next week I keep thinking I need to give it another week...I also need to start practicing my routine at home before I teach on Monday and I am not ready now to do that. Yikes!!

Welcome to all the new members!!! The more the merrier but we want to hear from you often. We can all help each other!!! :flowerforyou:

handyandy, how long are your rotations? It seems like you just got there...it might not be for you. :ohwell:

sdereski, I know how you feel. :laugh: My husband was in the military and was gone a lot. One time he was stationed in Egypt for one year and 2 wks!!! It was sooo tough when he came back especially on my daughter because she had gotten used to my flexibility. Those were some rough times. When he retired I was longing for him to get a job what would send him somewhere. :laugh: :laugh: :tongue: Now I am used to him being here...sometimes I am the one who takes breaks and travels. With my parents deceased now I cannot just go to Puerto Rico to visit them and leave him home. :cry: It might sound weird but it is what it is. I know I am not the only one who feels that way. Couples need to take breaks from each other from time to time. Hey, we've been together for 27 yrs.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Alf - Work 29 rotation with a day travelling each way...26 days off....and the coming home and crmaping the BH style is too true.... during the GFC in 2009 I was home for 6 months and my marriage lasted another 4 months after that......realised we didn't really like each other a lot!...
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sederski - I know how you feel about not having enough "alone" time. My husband was on longer hours and now he switched positions and is home before I get home at night most days. I don't really like it, I feel rushed and don't feel as motivated to walk or do things for myself. I was trying to shoe shop one day and he was with me and I finally said "forgot it this is too hard with you I will come back later" he had no idea why I felt like that. Sometimes we just need our space.... I hope you have a good trip away and enjoy your time. I LOVE when I get to travel for business out of town!:drinker:

Alf - my training is going really good, I am definitely getting stronger as my weight amounts are increasing. The scale is not moving much but I will take measurements & new photos this weekend after completing the BURN 30 day phase. I start the new phase on Sunday. I push myself hard in general but I have to say this workout is pushing my harder than I have lifted in a LONG time. I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO TEACHING NEXT WEEK! Are you crazy?!?! :wink: You need to give yourself enough time to heal so you do not reinjure and stay down longer. :explode:

Nice2Bfit - I manage an insurance agency, I sell and service to clients. It is a lot of multi tasking & deadlines. Some times of the year are better than others but spring time seems to be high volume, I sell health insurance as well as business and personal & I am sure you know about the health care exchange challenges, we just finished open enrollment yesterday, YEAHHHHH. That should help.

Beeps - my son was in one round of braces for bite issues a couple years ago and now we will be going into the next phases in Sept. My next phase is around $6000 so I feel your pain. YIKES!!!!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me, I have to call the orthodontist for my girls. My sons should be getting out of his in 2 months :bigsmile: Luckily, our dental insurance pays 1/2

Feeling much better today! Stayed away from the gym yesterday and today to get some rest and hopefully kick the bug I had. I was under calorie goal both days so hopefully that helps me keep on track. Looking forward to getting back to my gym routine tomorrow.

I have to agree with spousal vacations...DH went to Vegas with his brothers a couple of weeks ago and it was a welcome break LOL I swear the kids and I were so much more relaxed than we have been in a long time.

Alf - I agree with Ruby - give it 1 more week! How are those therapy treatments going?

Beeps - good thing you got that vacation in before those orthodontist bills come rolling in! LOL

Ruby - Did you have a lot of people flooding in at the last minute to get signed up for Obamacare?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Totally good thing I booked and paid for vacations before these orthodontist bills came rolling in. Anyway, I'm sure we'll manage, but I really am going to insist on decreased family spends for the next couple years. A good lesson in what we "need" versus what we "want". My clothing budget just went to $0, so might as well try and move into maintenance because getting to a "smaller size" doesn't help me with clothing budget. I'm small enough!

Alright, have a great day all!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am so glad we are done with orthodontia!! It was far less expensive when my girls had to have braces. Whew!

No workout today. Jake was at the house today and I have a long day between work and choir rehearsal later. I am tired already!

Speaking of Jake- he has learned a new word- STOP! He even does the hand thing when he says it! Too funny! Although he did tell Grammy "Stop" when I was telling him he couldn't do something... uh-oh!:huh:

Have a good day all!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Alf - Work 29 rotation with a day travelling each way...26 days off....and the coming home and crmaping the BH style is too true.... during the GFC in 2009 I was home for 6 months and my marriage lasted another 4 months after that......realised we didn't really like each other a lot!...

handyandy, awww :noway: :grumble: it is tough!!! :flowerforyou:
  • amccord2
    amccord2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi Cool Kids!!! I am finishing up a challenge with my fitness pal Alf on Monday, and I am looking for an active group to join and stay motivated. What a perfect one!!!:love: I will be celebrating my 45th birthday in April, and also running my 1st 5K!:drinker:
    I am looking forward to interacting with you all!:flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hi Angela!!! Welcome!!! This is a wonderful group! I can proudly say I started in many years ago!!! :drinker:

Ruby, I cant believe it's been 30 days already you started ChaLean. You are going to love the next stage, it is my favorite!!! That is when you will see major changes in your strength. And the lean phase is awesome as well. :drinker:

KellySue, oh oh IT STARTS :laugh: :laugh: :noway:

nice2bfit, I am glad to know I am not the only one who feels needs a break from the hubby. LOL But my husband never goes anywhere without me. :grumble: so I am normally the one planning trips. :laugh: We are going on a cruise in May to celebrate my son's 21st bday but in early June it is an all girl trip to Vegas to celebrate my niece's 21st bday. :drinker:

Thank you to all of you for your concern. I really don't want to teach next week and will ask my sub if he can teach again next week. One thing I need to do starting this weekend is to start dancing/practicing my choreo at home so I am ready when I do go back. And of course there will be no jumping until I heal completely. They will understand those who don't can go somewhere else, we have an excess of Zumba instructors in this city.

This bug needs to leave this group RIGHT NOW!!!! I woke up this morning with numbness/tingling sensation on my right side of my face, outside corner of right eye, right cheek and my right side of my throat hurts. Weird!!!!! I hope I am not coming down with something. My eyes were itching like crazy about 3 days ago. :grumble: :noway:

My prayers go out to the military community in Ft Hood. My husband and daughter were stationed there. My granddaughter was born there. It is about 2.5 hr drive from here. :cry: :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    yes, that Fort Hood thing is a tragedy.

Not much to report here....we are heading into "plus" temperatures - and it looks like for a good long streak, so I am grateful the weather is improving and hopefully the melt will be quick and I can get outside and walk more this month!

No lifting today - but I will lift tomorrow.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    So sad about Ft. Hood - my friends son is stationed there, thankfully he is deployed right now and his wife and baby are safe.

Feeling much better today got my morning lift in and feeling ready for the day.

Temps are improving here as well - may just get an outdoors run in this weekend :happy:

Have a great day everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Agreed- the Fort Hood business is no good. Praying for all involved.

Another Jake day today. Today he didn't want me to leave when I had to come to work :brokenheart: It's tough to have to say good bye when he wants to "hang" with his Grammy.

I will be walking on my lunch break again today. It's sunny and is supposed to stay that way until this evening before the rain comes.

Tomorrow I will be back at the gym.

Have a good one all!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday kids,

I had no idea that anything happened in Fort Hood until I read your posts. So tragic!

Busy day yesterday in the city. I could have used one more full day, as I didn't get much done for myself as I spent a lot of time running around for work and the Black Fly run that I organize.
    I did get my workout in when I got home last night. I have a love / hate relationship with the strength training. Hate the thought of doing it, but love how I feel when it is done. :happy:
    My weight is not really moving much, however, my clothes are certainly getting looser. :bigsmile:

Sun is shining today, but they are calling for some major snow tomorrow. $#@&%^(!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    2nd ortho quote is in. It is $7k.

So, between the kids, that is $16k, plus the $1k I dropped this week ($500 for each kid!) to get their "diagnostics" done.

Colour me broke....
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Beeps - YIKES!!!!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Beeps~ OUCH!!! :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    OMG Beeps, that is so expensive. Well, you gotta do what you gotta do!!! :noway:

sdereski, yeah for loose clothes!!! :drinker:

Kellysue, I know!! My granddaughter sometimes wants to come home with me on a weeknight after Zumba and when I say "no sweetie, you have school tomorrow" she starts crying!!! I have a surprise for her next week Sat!!! I got two tickets to see Disney on Ice, just the two of us!! On the floor, second row!!! I know I know, but I am her Nana!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Holy crap I am over 40!

Hello