40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Hey there Cool Kids....I have been out sick with the flu...it was horrible but I lost weight...hahaha...at least it jump started the scales again, which is a positive thing....there's always a little good in everything bad :) I hope you all are doing well.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a hail storm passing through right now...and my husband was just getting ready to BBQ. :ohwell: :grumble: But we need the rain... no Zumba for me this week but need to start practicing for next week. I am not back at lifting full strength either. I still managed to lose another pound. I finished the 90 day challenge I joined back in Jan. Ended up losing close to 5 pounds and 7 inches. I hope I can maintain this loss of weight and inches. I am where I like to be. :drinker:

Ruby, the push phase focuses on strength, you will see results be patient but stay consistent. As I said earlier it is my favorite phase. You will also like the lean phase, it goes back to working both upper and lower body at the same time but very fun/effective moves. :flowerforyou:

Kellysue, sometimes you have to find a happy medium. The more you do this the better you will get to know your body and what works for you. At some point eating back my exercise calories worked for me but then it stopped working. Most calculators put me at eating 1800 to 2200 calories but I find that eating 1600-1800 works better for me, especially when I am maintaining. Play with different numbers and stick with what works...but then be ready to change it up. :noway: :flowerforyou:

momof3boys, welcome back!!! Hope to hear you feel better. :flowerforyou:

aprildaguilar, welcome to the group!!! Hang in there but be consistent!!! Sugar addiction? You just have to hit it straight on, cold turkey!!!! Sugar IS the devil!!!! And the more you eat it even if it is a little bit the more your body and mind craves it. And don't try to sub with artificial sweeteners, they are just as bad. I cut out the sugar back in January and I can tell you that I don't even crave it now. It is extremely hard to cut it out completely because there is sugar everywhere. :grumble: :noway:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Cool Kids

Excited for Spring... will be even more excited once it stops raining. Another 5k coming up on the 19th. Looking forward to getting some runs in outside soon I know Ill be stopping to walk here and there but that's okay with me. Hope everyone has a great day

momof3 hope you feel better soon
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    Alf, losing 5 lbs and 7 inches is AWESOME! I am challenged-out, though....I think....then I read about someone doing a successful one and I can FEEL my resolve leaving my body and my urge to enter a challenge comes ROARING BACK, lol!

faytwain - I am VERY excited for SPRING! We are supposed to hit 15 degrees, today, and I am ECSTATIC about that.

no work-out today. Will watch calories, instead!

BOOM!
  • kjgarcia
    kjgarcia Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi all :)

I'm 48 and looking forward to getting to know you all.

I've done MFP (and every other diet known to man), for the last 3'ish years my weight has fluctuated up and down between the 170's and 190's.

I work full time, Mon-Thurs 7-5:30. I only have one child left at home and he is a Jr. in High School. I also have 2 grown daughters.

I'd love to lose about 40 lbs, but I'd be thrilled with 20 at the moment. I don't know why I do this back and forth thing to myself!!

Recently joined Planet Fitness. They opened about 1 mile from the house, just need to get in a good routine. I have hardly done any exercise since last summer, so anything I'm sure will be helpful. I've gone a handful of times, but need to fit it in more regularly.

My diary is open, and anyone can feel free to friend me.

Let's do this :)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    kjgarcia, welcome!!! :drinker: Stay focused!!! You can do it!! :flowerforyou:

I have been a little bummed out these past days. Today is my dad's one year anniversary of his passing. :cry: I did create a nice picture video memorial for him to share with friends and family. I miss my parents every single day but springtime will never be the same since both passed during this time. It will be my mom's 2 yr anniversary next month. They passed 11 months from each other. :cry:

Back to health and fitness, I am sharing my 90 day challenge pictures. My abs are looking and feeling pretty tight these days. Even my skin is not as flabby, not too bad for a 50 yr old. LOL :laugh: A good nutrition definitely helps, A LOT!!! Oh, BTW, yes, got my vitamix, used it for the first time this morning. Made me a nice smoothie. I can't wait to use it for lots of other things. I love that it is so easy to clean!!! So powerful!!! :laugh:

2rcpif5.jpg

:flowerforyou:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Have been so busy that I have not had a chance to check in.
    Am planning a community wide walking challenge and have been swamped. We were hoping for 25 teams of 12, and we are already at 32 teams. The challenge doesn't officially start until Monday. It's awesome, but I am swamped!!

Got my runs in on the weekend. 8 miles on Saturday and 16 on Sunday. Let's just say I'm glad they're done.

Alf, you look fantastic!!! WTG girl!

Beeps - I usually go off track with my eating on weekends, but with all the running, am only feeling the hunger today. I knew it would catch up with me.
    Good for you for getting rid of the junk food. My husband would not be happy. He eats well, but he does enjoy his treats...and the bugger can afford it. We have been doing the same training (actually, I have done more, and the weight is falling of him) :grumble:

Kjgarcia - welcome!

Hope to catch up with the rest of you tomorrow. 'Night all. :flowerforyou:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day everyone!!

Alf- Awesome pics! I can only hope to look like that when I am 50!

Had an early morning meeting today. Tomorrow I don't have to be in to work until 11:45 and will have Jake so I am planning on some play time outside- it's supposed to be almost 70 tomorrow, very exciting!

Will be back at the gym on Friday and Saturday.

Have a good one!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Good morning cool kids!! Happy Wednesday.

Holy moly Alf! You obviously have those good PR genes going for you LOL Looking great!! What exactly did you do for your 90-day challenge? I'm sorry about your grief, I know I miss my Dad a lot and it has been 4 years since he passed. :heart: :flowerforyou:

Beeps - I'm there with you on the challenges, I want to get into one, but doing them online just doesn't motivate me as much as it would if I had face to face accountability partners...I just don't feel as much pressure I guess. I feel like I am just competing with myself...playing by myself is just no fun LOL. I am the same with snacks for the house - I often get complaints because there isn't this or that snack, I didn't purposefully not buy it but I just don't think of it because it isn't on my menus... LOL

KellySue - Changing to using TDEE for tracking helped me a lot. Not sure why, maybe just because I don't have to think about the #'s as much? I did have to do as Alf said and play with my calorie intake until I found where I maintain (1700-1800) and where I lose (1500).

sdereski - great working getting the turnout for your challenge! Sounds like fun. Don't you just love how much easier it is for the guys to shed some weight, it's like they do it just thinking about it. LOL

I am officially 7 pounds away from my ultimate goal (2 from my short term goal) I don't like the fact that I still have a baby belly pooch, (in the last 30 days) my waist has slimmed down 2.5 inches and just below my belly button the same but the difference between the 2 measurements is 3 inches so 'thinner' waist, bulging tummy. Trying to eat more high protein, low fat foods but what else can I do to get this pooch to go?! I lift heavy 3x per week, cardio 2x per week.

Welcome to all the new cool kids!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Alf!!!!!!!!!!!! You look freaking AMAZING!! Very nice job, for sure....I would love to have abs like yours - can't seem to get there....but, maybe by 50, I can!!

:wink:

sdereski - a community walking challenge sounds like a very nice idea!! I must confess my family doesn't seem to do much in terms of "formal" community stuff - sure, we have friends "in the community", but that's about it! Hmmmmmmmm....

Hi KellySue!

Today, I LIFT! BOOM!
  • amccord2
    amccord2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hello, Cool Kids!

Alf - Sorry for your loss. You did a great job on the challenge!

Nice2BFit - Great job on being only 7 pounds away. Sometimes those are the hardest, but you seem to have a plan. On the lower abs, you may want to check your sugar intake and also add HIIT to your workouts 2 to 3 days a week.

Kjgarcia - welcome!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Alf sorry about your dad- you rocked that challenge

Nice - Exciting to be 7 pounds away from goal

Ran the trails yesterday for 2.4 miles using the c25k app. I finished it early March but started it again at week 4 because I never really ran a lot outside- This winter was brutal for that. I have 2 ks coming up one on aril 19th and may 16th. Going to get myself back into run for 3 days a week and finish c25k program again only this time all outdoor running. Also I finally added strength training to my line up woot

Hope everyone has a great Thursday
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Hi All! Had fun playing with my grandson this morning. We ran around in the yard for a while and then went for a walk so he could see the "Big Trucks". Just love that boy!!!:smooched: :heart:

Can't wait to get back to the gym tomorrow! After our gym time on Saturday hubby and I are going to go look at some bicycles. I was thinking last year that I should get a new one, but I am excited that he wants to get one too! He has been doing better since he's been working out in the pool several times per week. He's even thinking about adding some time in the weight room to his routine. Very exciting for him.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Hi Beeps!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Awesome Day Everyone!

Alf - Amazing pics!!! You abs are incredible, I can only dream of abs like that someday! WTG & keep us all on our game:smile: My son told me the other day I was starting to get a six pack... it was so cute, I cannot see it yet but at least he could see something there.

Nice2Bfit - that is awesome you are so close to your goal weight. Focus on some core strength training to get your lower abs in check. Planks are great & try to do ab work daily if you are not already. Keep up the good work and you will get there. Those are great numbers you have lost on your inches already.

Welcome to all the new kids! This is a great group!!!

I rocked out my workout early this morning. Now that I am in my routine getting up early I absoultley love it. I feel like I have accomplished so much before I even leave the house for work. My shoulders & biceps are sore after starting the Phase II of CLX... it is good to feel the pain I know I am building muscle. The weather is turning here also and have been getting out at lunch for walks, so nice to NOT be on the treadmill.

Set your goals high today!:drinker:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I enjoyed this read, today! (....and I don't own a dog....)

http://summertomato.com/5-lessons-about-exercise-you-can-learn-from-your-dog/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+blogspot/summertomato+(Summer+Tomato)

5 Lessons About Exercise You Can Learn From Your Dog

Posted: 09 Apr 2014 06:00 AM PDT

The same thing happens every day. Whether it’s raining or the sun is shining. Whether we had a late night encounter with raccoons or we’re well-rested. Shortly after lunch every afternoon my dog Toaster wanders into my office and puts his little head on my lap.

It’s time to go to the park.

While it’s clear that Mother Nature plays a roll in his timing (potty time is a an excellent trigger), it doesn’t take more than a glance to realize that there is a deeper motivation under all that fluffy fur.

Our daily park trip is the best part of Toaster’s day. Nothing makes him happier than running full speed after his frisbee and hurling himself into the air to catch it, then triumphantly prancing back to me and dropping it at my feet.

He’s so adorable. And to be honest, going to the park has become one of the best parts of my day too.

A few weeks ago when Toaster and I were playing our familiar game of fetch I couldn’t help but notice not only the pure joy he was experiencing, but also how hard he was working.

We played until his tongue was hanging out the side of his mouth and he was panting so hard he just flopped over. I realized that I rarely feel so contented, or so exhausted after my own workouts at the gym.

It struck me then and there that Toaster has something figured out that the rest of us still struggle with.

For Toaster, exercise isn’t a chore. It’s play.

Dogs have a fundamentally different outlook on physical activity than us hominids, and it got me thinking about all the lessons we can learn from their ability to find motivation where we can’t.
    5 Lessons About Exercise You Can Learn From Your Dog

1. It’s play, not punishment

I’ve been taking Toaster out to exercise for over three years now, and not once has he just jogged boring laps around the park. Instead he chases things, runs through puddles, makes new friends, and generally causes a ruckus. Basically, he uses it as an opportunity to do all the things he enjoys, but can’t do at home.

We humans can harness similar powers by incorporating fun activities into our workouts. You can rock out to your favorite 90s bands you’re embarrassed about (no one judges me for liking No Doubt on the elliptical machine), listen to podcasts and audiobooks (I read over 15 books last year, how about you?), or just having a friendly fitness competition with a friend via social apps like Fitbit.

2. It’s social

Toaster might be the friendliest dog in the world, and few things make him happier than meeting new people and stealing their attention and affection.

He especially loves children, and whenever a new kid comes out onto the grass he wiggles over to it, puts his ears down so he isn’t threatening, and licks it’s hand. The child invariably squeals in delight, and if Toaster can get away with it he’ll go in for a cheek lick at that point.

Though I generally don’t lick people I’m happy to see, I know firsthand how motivating it can be to have a workout partner. I’ve been working out with the same friend for over five years, and I always get a better workout when we’re together than when I’m alone. Making it social makes it more fun.

3. They aren’t self-conscious

Even though he is adorable, Toaster isn’t the most coordinated dog on the planet. It took him years to be able to catch a frisbee mid-air, and even now he can be seen making enthusiastic bounds into the air that are completely off target. I laugh at him every time, and he just picks up the dropped toy and runs it back to me to try again.

I know that many people feel intimidated by the gym, because they feel they look fat or stupid, or are too self-conscious to try anything new. This is a huge tragedy, and it exists entirely in your own head.

Almost no one is born with an innate ability to use fitness equipment or do proper pushups. Even the most avid gym rat had to learn somewhere at sometime. If you can put your ego aside you’ll see there is far more shame in not trying, then trying and not getting it right the first time.

If you really feel like you need help, don’t be afraid to hire a trainer for a few sessions to get you comfortable using the equipment.

You can also take comfort in the knowledge that most people are far more concerned about themselves while working out, and probably aren’t paying attention to you or anyone else.

4. It makes them better citizens

To be perfectly honest, it isn’t Toaster’s desire to go to the park that gives me the discipline to take him every day. I love him to pieces, but I’m also very busy and have other things to do, just like everyone else. But I learned early on in puppy training that if Toaster doesn’t get enough exercise outside of the house, we’ll have trouble inside the house.

I lost many pairs of shoes and cleaned up more than my fair share of shredded books and toilet paper rolls before I learned that it is almost impossible for Toaster to behave at home unless he is able to get some of his energy out through exercise.

I also should have figured this out sooner, because I’m the same way. Not that I tear up shoes and books, but that I’m far more likely to get lost in meaningless minutia and dumb Facebook posts if I don’t clear my mind with a solid workout several times a week. Making time for exercise actually makes me more effective in the rest of my life.

5. It’s part of their identity

There isn’t a cell in Toaster’s body that wonders whether or not it is appropriate to go to the park every day. Of course we’re going to the park. That’s what we do. Playing at the park is part of his dog-identity.

People who already exercise regularly and have been doing it for years or decades likely already feel that their fitness routine is part of who they are.

But if you haven’t yet built an exercise habit you might tell yourself you can’t exercise because, “I run a startup,” or “I’m a working mom,” or “I’m French.” (I’ve heard all these and more). While any of these facts may pose unique challenges to building a new habit, we often rest on these identities as reasons to do nothing.

On the flip side, someone who already has a self-identity that includes being “a healthy and active person” will likely stay that way even if they start a company or a family. In other words, our actions often originate from how we see ourselves.

The important thing to remember is that your self-identity can always be changed or expanded, especially if you truly do care about your health and quality of life. If you believe you are capable of enjoying physical activity on a regular basis, then you can.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I like that article a lot Beeps - thanks for sharing. We can all learn a bit from it. I think me especially. I get so caught up in the weight and counting calories that I forget that it's just as much about moving and making it fun would definitely take the chore out of it!

Ruby - I've noticed that I don't feel put out getting up early for my workout these past couple of weeks. It only took me long enough to get acclimated, LOL. Maybe the nicer weather and the longer days help a bit took. I don't feel like I am dragging as much. Thanks for the reminder to keep up on my ab work, I really only get abs in on 1 day other than the compound moves of lifting, I'll have to add those planks back in ++ :)

KellySue - Chasing that grandbaby around is a great workout! LOL It's great to hear that you hubby is enjoying the fitness routine and wanting getting into it more with you. Biking will be great quality time!

My husband has been going to the gym with me in the mornings but last week he pulled something and has been having shooting pain when walking down his lower back into his leg. Sounds like sciatica pain to me... Hopefully with some rest it'll start feeling better soon.

Fay - I did c25k a couple of years ago - great program. Nice to get outside to and do the program too! Enjoy :)

Amccord - Thanks! I'll have to think about that, in the last 30 days, I only went over my sugar goal 4x and it was by a couple of grams. Salt is another matter... LOL
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Great article Beeps! Thanks for sharing.

Nice- It was a blast, and my hubby said that I tired the little guy out- he took a two hour nap this afternoon!!:yawn:
  • kmhotzhedges
    kmhotzhedges Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Beeps--Thanks for the article. That really helps put everything in perspective -- although it does make me want a dog.

Alf --Great photos!

I'm about 4 days into my new routine and feeling pretty good. I'm taking a 2 mile walk every morning to work out the stiffness that accopanies getting out of bed. M and W I did Minna Lessig's Emergency Workout Cardio for 30 minutes and a few extra minutes of yoga. T and Th I did the same video but used the 30 min toning section. I feel it in my butt and thighs. Not so much in the arms, so I am wondering if I need to up the weight on the toning days. I started with 3 lbs just so I didn't overdo and cause a relapse of the Lupus, plus just coming off surgery I figured slowly and lightly was a good way to start. I take a gentle yoga class on T and Th as well. Friday and Saturday will follow along the same lines and Sunday is my rest day.

I need to figure out the food thing. I generally eat pretty well and log my meals. I know I have some food intake that isn't accounted for because I don't have a scale. I guess that needs to be the next step.
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Oh My Friends!! It has been a morning already! I had a difficult time getting up this morning- just way too tired. I did make it to the gym- a little late, but no big worries. I'm in the middle of my workout and I could feel my left thigh muscle wanting to cramp up and then- BAM- it happened during one of my cardio intervals and I almost lost my footing on the treadmill! Luckily I was moving on to arms and abs after and was able to complete my workout without too many complications, but, can I just tell you that the dang thing really hurts! Then I realized that I forgot my hair dryer so I look a little wacky to boot! Now I have to clean up from our performance night on my own 'cause my other staff are coming in late today because they have to take another group to perform tonight and won't be back until late. Oiy! The things I get myself into. :grumble: :noway: Sorry- just had to get that out! Although, I am hoping that this leg business is just a short term thing and that I can work it out throughout the day. Tomorrow is scheduled cardio and we're supposed to go bike shopping.

Have a good one all!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Ouch on the CHARLIE HORSE, KellySue! that is painful....hope tomorrow's work-out is better.

I am TIRED. Went to a school thing last night, got pretty incensed at some shyte that is going down over there, spoke with a newspaper reporter and now I expect today will be full of various media follow-up. Yikes!

More importantly, though, TODAY I LIFT!

BOOM!