40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Snow & icy roads here today, way too early in the season for this :'(

Kate-thanks for your words about my son's palette expander. It is always hard as a parent to know what to do. He also has sinus/allergy problems & this is supposed to help with his breathing also. Things are going pretty good now and he is not experiencing any pain when he turns it. Great job on your workout!!!! You will soar with that upper body schedule.

Alf - I have been having a heck of a time with sweets too.

Mygyn- great pic of your new bathroom, it to s beautiful!!! That cake looks sinful :)

Sederski- good luck on the amazing race contest. I sure hope they pick you. How cool.

Too hard to post to everyone individually,so hello to all.

Just want to let you know how encouraging you all are. I have really been struggling with mid life, 44 and it seems to have hit me hard lately. I just don't feel the energy I used to have and hate feeling like this. Trying to figure out what the problem is. Stress from my job, winter coming on, carrying more weight than I care for and having a hard time not gaining anymore, living so rural and not as many choices close by???? I so won't give up but wish I could find my zone again.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Morning Kid's!
    165 lbs. this morning so 10 lbs. to goal. Had to quit wearing my wedding ring recently I was afraid it would fly off. Got to get back to exercising more frequently! This cold weather is zapping my will power. I've had to resort to layering tights under my jeans to stay warm. Getting old sucks...my neck/shoulder is still acting up.
    Our "Torkie" seems fine. No injuries or parasites. At 7 lbs. 9 oz. he's over weight. LOL. Vet said the people food probably didn't agree with him. Now I have to get our 3 yr. old to stop feeding him.

Carlosjenno- Hope you wife's surgery goes well. Anaesthetics are tricky things. My last epidural made my blood pressure drop way to low scared my husband when he realized what was happening.

KellySue- Insurances coverages what can I say?

Larro- May have to try a bike at the gym again soon. Tried one or two so far but kind of uncomfortable on my "minimus" glutious. LOL at least that's what my husbands been saying.

mygnsac- those roasted veggies sound yummy.

nickphn- haven't used a c25k myself ( not enough depends) LOL. Though I'm sure if you search the forums you can find some who have.

Hello newbies! Going to go try to find my motivation now.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

Carlos, hope your wife has a trouble free surgery. I will be sending good thoughts her way.

Ruby, I complain about the cold when it's in the 50's. Sorry you are having winter so early. Hope you get your mojo back. I know there are mornings where I dread doing my cardio, but I always feel better afterward. Good lighting as winter sets in can help with your mood. Make sure you have plenty of bright white light.

Caramel, I saw on your feed that you kicked butt with extreme fit last night. Good job.

Beeps, I hate it when life gets in the way of a good workout. I do two miles of walking at work, and when my customers come in early it is aggravating.

Kate, are you saying you have a bad case of gone *kitten*? I have a stationary bike that I ride 5 minutes a day. If I go longer than 10 minutes I have to stand up and walk around a couple of minutes. Like the ads on TV say, it's a question of blood flow. If I buy a bike the seat will have to jive with my behind.

Happy Veterans Day to all the Vets and active duty service men and women, no matter what flag you follow. Margie has the holiday off so she is going with me on my usual Tuesday shopping trip. We are getting an early start so we can eat lunch in Marianna. That will throw my calorie goal in the dust bin, but we don't get the chance to do it very often.

I got a ton of plants at work, so spent a few hours working in the flowerbeds last night. My back was acting up this morning, so I skipped the AbRocker again. Did the rest of my usual cardio though. And I'm on the way to the shower, so I'll get my squats in too :) I may post a picture of the flowerbed tonight when I get to work.

Hope every one has a good day,

Larro

• nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ruby I am struggling to find my mojo again too. I had months long MFP streak and now 10 days has been my longest streak since June. Too easy to slack. Trying to sneak in a bit here and there and make a plan I might actually stick to. They just started a cafe at work so now all I smell is food all day long. Indulged in free samples yesterday but stuck to my own breakfast this morning so small victory. Of course it is only 10a so, plenty of time to fall off that wagon before lunch. In honor of Larro, I am adding 10-20 squats every time I use the facilities, provided the room is empty at work. See if I can get 80 in over a day,

We haven't got snow yet but the cold is biting most mornings and snow is imminent.

Carlos - be strong! Positive vibes for your wife.

KS - Positive vibes for DH to stick with his PT and make it home for Turkey.

I am not good at work out videos so I bought an XBOX 360 Kungfu fighting game. It is tiring to battle the bad guys and all the silly laughing has to help chase away the grumpies too. Now if I would just obey that alarm and make it up consistently to battle the evil doers...
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, it is Tuesday already. I hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

Ruby--As a parent trying to make the right decision for our kids can be stressful as we do not want to see our kids hurting. I am confident you will monitor the situation and proceed accordingly. In terms of you, I know the winter can put a damper on one's mood and spirit. This is a time to reflect on where you once were and strategize on how to do things differently. At some point all of us will or have gone through the mid life cycle. You are entitled to your feelings. Lean on your support system until you get through it. You can certainly PM me and I will encourage and motivate you to death. :smiley:

nickphn--I downloaded the app and that is as far I got with it. Sorry

Kate--I am glad torkie is ok. As it relates to the wedding ring, that is more validation of your weight loss. Having it resized will cost a few dollars, but worth it.

Beeps--I want to read that you lifted heavy today.

Larro--I know you will not disappoint and there will be evidence of some nature or food for me to look forward to. Let us know if you found a good bike on sale.

Carlos-I hope everything goes ok with your dear wife.

KellySue---I am thinking of you. Here's a big hug. Your endurance through life's trials shows an attestation to your strength and determination.

I am so sore I can hardly walk today. Extreme fit earned its name last night. It was EXTREME. The class was grunting....lol

Have a great day everyone.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Cool Kids! Life goes on!! Thank You all for your kind words of encouragement. Had a bit of a scare yesterday morning with Hubs. They went to wake him up and he was unresponsive for several minutes. They did sternum rub and even had his head and torso lifted off from the bed which normally would have sent him screaming in pain with all that is going on with his back. It did not phase him. I guess they sent for a crash cart, but did get him to rouse before needing to use it. Thank God!! He did not have the issue today, but didn't have a good therapy day :cry: It's so frustrating!! You want to be consoling, but at the same time you need to push the person to do what they may not want to do so that they can get home!! :grimacing:
    I had Jake this morning and did not really want to come to work. I hate dropping him off at the baby sitter. She's a friend of mine and I know she takes great care of him, but I would rather stay with him. Oh Well!
    I got half of my bathroom ceiling painted last night and will finish the rest tonight. It's not fabulous, but it will do. Tomorrow I WILL make it to the gym before work!

Have a good day all!
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Cool Kids, and Happy Veterans Day to all the Vets here and everywhere.
    It took forever to catch up on the posts! I might have to figure out how to check in on the weekends - and then missing yesterday due to crazy work schedule... but enough.

The weekend was fun. It's "king tide" season (really high high tides), so our kayak club paddled in the Bay right over the tops of the islands. Then I got to ride my new motorbike! Weeee! I named her Buttercup :) I'll take pics today and share. Sunday was chore day. Made a big pot of fish stock with carcasses from earlier fishing trip. This morning I'm off, and the stock is in the pressure canner. Then I'm going for another mc ride! It's Tuesday, so Girl's Night. Tonight we will ride our bikes to the next town (where I work), have dinner, go to a sale at the outdoor store, then peddle back home in the dark. Should be fun!

Alf – Happy Veteran's Day to your husband and daughter. Happy to hear the parade was fun.
    Svetlana, welcome. I know you'll find a way that's sustainable for you. Stick with it!
    Myg – shower looks great! The food prep you did sounds amazing. You'll have great lunches this week.
    Carlosjenno, I hope everything goes well with your wife’s surgery. Sending healing thoughts her way.
    Beeps, try to stay warm -- I hear lifting helps! Anything interesting on the career front?
    Larro, grrrr! So frustrating to have aches and pains. Maybe Dr. Who will help? Maybe bicycling will be good for your joints?
    Kate – glad to hear your Torkie is ok. Good luck on disuading the 3 year old! Congrats on the milestone! Only 10 more lbs to go. So close!
    Jneesy – grand baby! lucky you. Well worth being healthy and sticking around for.
    Tmbg1 – welcome. Great job on the 3 miles!
    Caramel, I need a bite! I have just not dug in and pushed the envelope. Totally stalled. Extreme fit was very extreme! Cool news about the size med pants!
    Wildflower – welcome, we've all spent time on roller coaster. Hang in there.
    KS – sorry to hear hubby added kidney problems! I feel your pain about the med bills! And still you run. You're amazing. Glad your family is there to help you laugh. I have a bathroom ceiling to paint too!
    Nick – I haven't tried that app yet. What does it do?
    Ruby – I'm right there with you sister. Looking for that inspiration to reclaim the health we had so recently. It is harder in rural areas. Lack of gyms. Lack of food choices. What seems to help me is inspirational videos / blogs such as "Crazy Sexy" with Kris Carr, or Food Matters. It also helps me to do a bunch of super healthy food prep and have good options available on the other side of the refrigerator door. Keep climbing!
    Nick – fighting the evil doers! What a fun way to get going.

Sorry if I missed anyone! I tried to take notes as I went ;) Have a terrific day everyone.
  • ruby70
    Options
    Larro, thank you for the lighting suggestion. This probably sounds stupid but I may try a tanning bed session once a week to get some extra light! B)

Nickpn, I am sorry you are struggling with your mojo too. I am sending good vibes your way...I will try the squat thing too in honor of larro. Anything to get more movement.

Caramel- thanks for the encouraging words, you are such sweetie!!! I will keep trying & reflect on how to get back to some of my old habits that gave me results.

I am now going to take a lunch break and do 2 miles on treadmill.
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Options
    Here she is! 43h7zr1khkrp.jpg
    I've named her Buttercup :flowerforyou:

• nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Great shot! Buttercup looks like fun!
  • ruby70
    Options
    Curious, love your bike, you rock girl! Fantastic pic :)
  • Jules0222
    Jules0222 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Count me in!

Me? I'm 46, mother of two (ages 9 & 10). Currently a full time student of Natural medicine. Have been an avid seeker of health and fitness for most of my life. Have let family tragedy get me down (with an additional 30 lbs), but am ready to put the past where it belongs and move forward!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    No heavy lifting...spent last night on the couch trying to stay warm because our furnace quit yesterday.

:(

kids slept fine. so did hubby. I did not.

I will return to lifting tomorrow. Remembrance Day celebrations were moving. We leave for Mexico in ten days....I have given up going there 'un-fluffy'....but, with the intended snorkeling and walking and swimming and sex, surely I will come back NO worse than when I left!
  • kscm02
    kscm02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi all. New here looking for all the support I can find. That and this is a good distraction from snacking. I've unfortunately been on a steady increase in weight over the last year after going on anti-anxiety meds. I'm a calmer person but its had a small downside that I seem to have a more blasé feeling to snacking (meaning I snack more than I did before). I also just went back to school after 24 years have 3 girls ages 16, 12 and 10 and hubby that keep me crazy and busy.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Welcome Jules and Kscm.

Nick, you will want to be careful with the squats at work. A guy on my FL was doing squats at his desk and split his slacks.

Curious, nice looking bike. And you would make a good Ninja with all that black on.

We had a good day of shopping at the thrift stores. I bought a set of apple ceramic jar type containers and salt and pepper shakers in the same pattern. Also got a set of serving plates and bowls with a different apple design. Margie found a name brand handbag {I forget which one} for two bucks.

Here are a couple of pictures of my flowerbed work in the Civic Center lobby. They didn't turn out too good, but I had already deleted them and put the camera away.

Larro

10416595_842619252449866_858032147504644320_n.jpg?oh=0aba481d69ec9b88cab2b3cc0492a71f&oe=54E91DD2&__gda__=1424320386_b02b7fe9302325bed6d786deb7b8c94e

10422033_842619459116512_6200531627518836920_n.jpg?oh=8ccbe142c04a2db8dfd2b9852dcd3557&oe=54E31606&__gda__=1423176666_a85ab8be87971ab99ab4195e2d9ebb06
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Curious- Love the pic- buttercup seems a very befitting name!

Larro- flower bed pics are great!

Beeps- Hope you get your furnace fixed soon! Have a blast in Mexico- sounds like you are planning on it!!

I made it to the gym and did some much needed cardio to help with my stress level. Not much is new on my end. Hubby didn't have a great therapy session yesterday, still experiencing a lot of pain. House stuff is crazy- trying to figure out who will pay for repair to leaking pipes. Ugh!

I am out at 4:30 on Wednesdays so I am looking forward to that- every other day I work until 6:00.

have a good one all!
  • tmonty67
    tmonty67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Id love to be added. I am 47, single mother of three teens, trying to live a healthier life and set a good example for my girls and son.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

Kelly Sue, enjoy your extra time off today. Hope you get the pipes straightened out. My customers last night no showed, so I got off early. It would have been nice if they had picked up the phone and let me know they were not coming.

T, welcome. It's good to see another Floridian on here. We can get together and complain about tourists. I'm an hour away from Panama City Beach, and try to never go near there during spring break. I live near the Chipola River, and unfortunately tourists are starting to discover it too.

I've been at it for a while this morning. I'm on my third load of laundry, and third episode of Doctor Who recorded from DVR to DVD. {three more to go, but that will have to wait for another day} Terminex was supposed to spray my house this morning, but called to rescheduled. Next available day that would work for me is the day before Thanksgiving. Speaking of Thanksgiving, since Sister has a broken arm, Margie volunteered to have it at the Larro Ranchero this year. We are going to do it on Friday to let BIL go to see his kids and grandkids on Thursday. That will let me enjoy a day of hunting and football without worrying about family in the house.

Hope everyone is having a good day,

Larro
  • larrodarro
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I had done my full cardio, including AbRocker this morning. And one of the things in the laundry was a nice set of Nautical brand PJ's I picked up yesterday. So now I'm ready for those nippy nights when it gets down in the 40's. Burrrrrrr.

Larro
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Options
    Good morning Cool Kids!
    After the day off yesterday, my schedule is all ahoo. Feels like Monday all over.
    Had a lovely peddle in to work this morning under a gorgeous sunrise. You know how when you're driving to work you kinda go on auto pilot? Like "Oh, how did I get here already?" It's funny that it's the same on a bicycle. Just lost in your own thoughts, and then poof! There you are. Of course there's the added benefit of "there you are, and there goes 500 calories!" :D

Beeps - the Mexico trip sounds fantastic! Sorry about your furnace. But I've heard that being cold helps burn more calories! ;)

Larro, such a funny story about the splitting trousers! Haha, I can just see that happening to me. I'd better wear skirts. Laundry & Dr. Who sounds like a really great morning routine.

KS, what a bummer about the leaky pipes! Have you already closed? It sounds like something the sellers should fix. Glad you're getting off early today. There will be a little daylight left for you to enjoy!

Jules & tmonty, welcome!

Kscm, welcome. What are you studying now that you're back in school?

Cheers to everyone else as you check in today. :flowerforyou: