40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Kids...Hope all of you had a great weekend.

Today is 680 days on MFP. Yippee.

I am feeling better today and look forward to my run and extreme fit. Friday my PT took it to me and I love when I am challenged. I have 2 races that I really need to kick it in gear and train for. I did buy some new gym clothes over the weekend. Funny how your focus can shift when you really put your mind to something. In the beginning I DESPISED shopping for gym clothes due to the size of them. Now I feel better about shopping. I now have to graduate to being THRILLED about shopping for work out clothes(lol).

Thanks to all of you who kept me in their thoughts during Maryland's turmoil. It is appreciated.

Nick--You know I am tickled to see your new photo of Missy. I am so happy for you. She is BEAUTIFUL.

Beeps--You rock....LIFT HEAVIER

KellySue--Thanks for thinking of me...You know I was tickled at the thought of so many animals in one spot. You had a variety of workouts over the weekend. My neighbor has 2 horses that I absolutely love to pieces.

Alf/CG/Larro/Jackie/3furballs/Sdereski---Hugs to you all.

Have a great day everyone.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Just got an email from a paddling friend who got a shot just as I was catching a wave off of "Smack Wall". It's a spot on a headland that catches the deep water swell with a big "smack" and sends back a rebound wave that can be surfed if conditions are just right.
    xup3415o2pm7.jpg

CG----Can you say I am so jealous and want to be a part of this awesome adventure club you are sponsoring.......YOU ROCK
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Cool Kids!

Webbeyes - cool about starting up running again! It's great that it's feeling good after all this time. Which race will you run?

I was able to kayak both days this weekend. Saturday took some co-workers out on the bay. Everyone had fun, and nobody fell in, so totally successful! Sunday was 'regular' kayaking in the ocean - always fun. I've started this week with a structured menu - includes lots of apples! Making a serious push to cut down these last 15 stubborn lbs.

I'm running in the "BadAss Dash" - kind of a mini-Spartan race from what I can see. It raises funds for AutismSpeaks, which is near-and-dear to our family, as my daughter is on the Spectrum.

I miss kayaking ... although I was more of a river-kayaker as opposed to ocean. Picked up a used canoe last year, so I intend to get it on the water soon.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    Curious - great picture of you surfing that wave!

Everyone sounds like they are doing well with their workouts! Great job!

The Community Walking Challenge that I organize officially starts today - 7 week challenge, that takes us on a virtual walk through Europe. We far surpassed our goal of 25 teams again - even surpassed last year's numbers. We are at 36 teams and counting. that is 36 teams of 12 = 432 people. Not bad for a town of less than 3000. :smile:

webb - great race name "BadAss Dash".

My bicycle trip is through Holland. I fly out on Sunday, land in Amsterdam, pick up my bike and start cycling to Gouda for my first night stay (this is where I meet up with my g/f). Then our trip takes us west and we continue North, cycling back down the east side of the country. Fingers crossed weather cooperates, as we are tenting some nights.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,980 Member
    Options
    That paddling picture looks WAY too dangerous for me! Holy smokes....that is MILES outside my comfort zone!!

I am scared for you, curiousG!

Caramel - HAPPY 680! BOOM!

webbeyes - great that you are raising funds for a cause that is close to your heart.

sdereski - huh? Here you are!!! I cannot wait to hear about your trip through Holland. We will be in the Netherlands for about 8 days in July (not biking....but boating down the canals!)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Just came back from my lifting workout. Circuits, today - 10-to-1's. Whew! Tough, but I got it done.

BOOM!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    Alright....I totally have to go lift today. And, I am not wanting to....so, today is a "talk myself into it", day.

Here is how I talk myself into it:

1. I still bring all my work-out clothes to the office. I can stare at them all day long, if I want.
    2. I have to go to the gym. I tell myself I need only spend "20 minutes" there....but it is non-negotiable that I have to go.
    3. When I get to the gym, I tell myself "you only need to do 2 sets of each exercise"....this isn't true, as I am supposed to do 3, but I give myself PERMISSION to only do 2 sets.
    4. When I get onto the first exercise, I talk myself into doing 3 sets of it. And I do that for each subsequent exercise.
    5. By the end, I have spent 50-60 minutes in the gym, and I give myself PERMISSION to stay 10 more minutes for a nice stretch.

BOOM! Lifting done and I have talked myself through it. The "talking through it" expends energy....the "after glow" is ALWAYS worth that extra effort to get it done.

I needed this today. Thanks Beeps!!!! I just got back from lunch work out, cardio for 20 minutes and then did a leg workout. I was struggling with making it until I read your post :)
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Beeps, way to talk yourself through the workout. I usually put my gym clothes on as soon as I get home and make sure I don't sit on the couch! That way I make sure I go.

Nick, sounds like the new addition will keep you busy.

Curious, you make me want to try kyaking, I've never been.

Caramel, glad you are feeling a bit less stressed. I love beyond new workout gear, getting to wear something nice is a good motivator.

Sdereski, that sounds like an awesome trip. Hope the weather Co operates!

Off to Kickboxing tonight. Need to get some energy, gonna have to work hard this week, rather enjoyed the Rolling Rock and Crabbies black cherry this weekend, as week as the mint m&ms, weekends are my down fall!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    Beeps, way to talk yourself through the workout. I usually put my gym clothes on as soon as I get home and make sure I don't sit on the couch! That way I make sure I go.

That is a GREAT idea!

Me walking in the door at my house means screaming kids, a nanny who wants to go home, a hot meal, and IMMEDIATE chauffeur activities on the horizon.

Meaning: NO CHANCE for working out. DOOMED.

• Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hello to all, so glad it seems everyone is doing well.
    Furballs so glad your test turned out well, and awesome that the dr's noticed what great shape you are in and commented on it, I am sure they are usually not seeing muscles on very many patients, especially women.
    Speaking of muscles on women, my husband and son and I went to Conniticut for the weekend for a tractor show and saw a small local town car show and stopped in to check it out. 14 year old son is all about the cars. There was a woman there, proabably late 20's and was tall and all muscles, she walked around the park like she was looking for someone, and had grease on her jeans and looked like a mechanic. It was so weird, my husband even commented on it and said man she looks like she's ready to kick someone's butt. she didn't see who she was looking for and drove off in a loud truck, but man, she was a pretty woman, but she totally could of kicked my husband's butt and he's 6'4" tall. I think most of it was how she carried herself, like she was on a mission to find someone. She could of been Arnold Swartznegger's younger sister or something.
    Anyway, it was nice to get away, but not so easy to eat as good as I had been. I didn't get my regular excercises in but walked a ton, got a little too much sun and got burnt. Back to my regular routine and all that today.
    Carmel I can't believe you've done 680 days, holy cow, you rock. Hopefully soon thing will get better in your area of the world. I just wish people would be respectful of each other and realize that they are making a bigger problem. They are using a terrible thing to justify their crimes. They are making it worse, hopefully these things quit happening period.
    Curious George, I would be scared too of all that water moving so fast too. My idea of kyacking would be a small lake somewhere with a few ducks her and there and not a lot of waves. You are brave or crazy?? I am glad you are enjoying it and sharing it with us, it just looks kind of unreal to me. It looks like a beautiful place though.
    Larro, the garden looks beautiful. I love the picture of the cat drinking, so funny.
    The hotel we were in had a continental breakfast and had the bowls of oatmeal you add the water to, and had raisins and walnuts to add to it and a cinnamon shaker too. It was so good, I forgot I liked it so much. It was the maple and brown sugar kind, I kind of get in a rut of eating the same thing for awhile, so it was kind of nice.
    Well everyone, you're all doing so great, keep up being awesome. I have to talk myself into excercising too most of the time, but am usually glad I did, or glad it's over when I am done depending on the day. I know I need to do it to see results, so I keep doing it. Have a great week everyone.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Natalie, wasn't me at the doctor but I'm flattered you thought it was me!

Beeps. My kids aren't in any activities which I feel bad about and may change with time. My oldest is almost 10 so he stays home and the girls come with me. My husband has been picking me up at work so we can get to 5pm class, but with good weather coming I'll be biking and meeting him there. If our kids do take something we try to make it weekends or all one night. I think I'm a bit selfish in that I want to work out most every night. I'm hoping my kids will get into the few activities offered at school.

• Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that, I got you mixed up. You do look great in your picture though. I still don't like pictures of myself at all. I thought this one would be good, but it's blury on here for some reason. I will have to see if my daughter can figure it out for me sometime.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Curious, I'm going to try to post the meal plan. It was a Facebook private group. You are sooooo adventurous!!!!

Caramel, congrats!!!!!

Nickpnh, Missy is gorgeous!!!!

KS, glad hubby is doing well. You are super woman!!!!! Take care!

Sdereski, good hearing from you! Your trip sounds like so much fun!

Natalie, the muscle story was me. LOL thanks! I was flattered. I was just happy to hear that my body is showing the hard work over the years at least internally. I think that is what's most important. Looking good on the outside is the icing on the cake but the main goal should be to have a healthy body on the inside.

Good night!!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Day: 23 of INSANITY: THE ASYLUM Speed & Agility"=Done!
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    sdereski wrote: »
    webb - great race name "BadAss Dash".

Heh ... because, of course, the first thing one thinks of when they look at my picture is "Hey! He's BADASS!" LOL
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Natalie, no problem, like I said I was flattered! That pic was a couple of years ago, I've got about 7lbs to get back to that weight, but I'm aiming for more for size than weight, so we'll see if the change up in workout helps.

Off to kettlebell tonight and managed to get to kickboxing last night, even though I didn't get out of the doctor's office until almost 4:45 (appointment was at 3:30). Felt so much better for getting there.
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    2nd morning of 5:30a walk with puppy. Feels good! I beat my exercise targets for the week already (pretty paltry targets but still had been having trouble meeting them)! Swim classes tonight and puppy time, I may just get the weight to come off. Hit 8000 steps yesterday which my normal workday is a struggle to hit 3000 (small office, long commute, desk job). I guess it will be time to up my target goals.

Caramel - hope things are returning to normal for you, as best it can be.

Looking forward to getting out on our new SUP and seeing if this puppy is a swimmer. Probably have to wait until Memorial Day due to family commitments. Love seeing all the kayak photos. We canoe, kayak and tent camp in the summer with the kiddos.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

• Beeps2011
    Options
    Off to my maxstrength group class. BBs and DBs and cardio-avoidance. BOOM!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to all of you amazing people! It is great to see everyone getting so much movement and enjoying the weather.

I am setting my goals this week to work out at gym every day at lunch and workout at home on Saturday. I felt so awesome after my workout yesterday. Worked outside last night planting some seeds and getting my hummingbird, orioles, & finch bird feeders out of storage and set up.

I love the Kayaking pictures Curious, please keep the pictures coming of your beauty!
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Cool Kids,
    Last night was the first in a long time that I came in under my calorie goal! :p . I made a point of making time for meal planning and prep on Sunday, and have sworn off all alcohol until I hit goal weight. That, alone, is quite a motivator to get there! lol.
    Unfortunately I slept poorly, and 'postponed' my early a.m. workout to tomorrow - my usual rest day. I do have HardCORE at lunch today, so not a complete loss. Maybe a good hike in the forest after work today would be good too.
    I should have supplemented that kayaking pic with the disclaimer of "don't try this at home" ;) . I've been paddling with the same group of folks in the same waters for over a decade, and we're very familiar with the features, and with what to do when we find ourselves inevitably inverted. Also note the safety gear, including a helmet! It's amazing out there, but we're very respectful of the ocean.
    Ruby, I love orioles! There are Bullock's around here, but we rarely see them. What food do you use to attract them? Fruit eaters, right?
    Beeps, I love the "cardio-avoidance" term! Haha. It's amazing what you're able to do with the intense parental duties. I re-read your earlier post about talking yourself into it, and wish there was a "like" button!
    Nick, it sounds like you and your family enjoy a healthy lifestyle and get outside alot! My bf built a wooden SUP, but we barely use it. I think it's because there's only one. I love how well you can peer into the water from that height. Not to mention the amazing core workout you get from paddling one!
    Natalie, I was enjoying my oatmeal breakfast while reading about yours! I want to look like that mechanic ;)
    Sdereski, I'm so excited about your trip! It's such an amazing part of the world, and touring by bicycle is the best way to see it. I've also felt like arriving on a bicycle really enhances your social interactions along the way. Enjoy! Take pictures!!
    Caramel, I hope with the mellowing of trauma there that you are finding some peace. Thoughts are with you. If you ever come to the redwoods, I will happily host you on the ocean - you don't have to surf ;) .
    Webbeyes, you totally look like a bad *kitten*!
    Hello to everyone else!

I hope you all find the inspiration you need today!