40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hi All~

I am hanging in there. I have had a couple of blah days. It was a busy and stressful weekend. Hubby went with me to our family dinner outing for mother's day, but didn't do well and was a bit on the miserable side. I got an earful from my family. They think he should be doing more for himself and that I am taking on more than I should. I know they mean well, but I can't even begin to tell you how stressful it is to have them call, not just once, but several times, to complain about it. I know they are concerned and don't want to see me end up getting sick or hurt, but :noway:!! One can only take so much!

Kickboxing tonight- I am looking forward to punching that bag!!! I am off from work tomorrow again- between hubby and me, we have three doctor's appointments. I am thinking I will have plenty of time to work out tomorrow since our first appointment isn't until 1:00. Thursday, I will miss kickboxing as I have to work until 8:00, but don't have to be in until 11:00 on Friday so that should be a good workout day as well.

Caramel- I see you got some Brooks running shoes. My younger daughter is a marathon/half marathon runner and swears by them. Hope they work well for you.

Larro- I saw your pic of Midas stretched out on the rail- he looked very relaxed to me!! :lol:

Curious- Love the bad---ed flowers on your bike!!

Hope everyone else is doing well! Have a great day!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    ukdhmnh6cniv.jpg

Making these has prevented me from being on track!!! Yikes!!!! LOL
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    KellySue, have they offered to help? Sometimes people are quick to tell you what you should be doing but they don't lend a hand. That happened to me when my dad had a stroke. It is hard? Bless your heart.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,993 Member
    Options
    I lifted today...that's 60 minutes of exercise right there.

And I walked for two hours myself on this sunny afternoon. Brisk pace. My hips got tired. I stretched.

Then a gf called tonight to see if I wanted to go walking! I did another hour with her. Brisk pace. My hips are on fire!

I stretched some more.

BOOM! ZOOM! ZOOM!!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Curious, I have panniers somewhere, just can't remember where I stored them at the end of last riding season! I have a pretty short commute, only about a 15 minute ride (25 walk).

KellySue, Alf is right, it would be nice if people offered to help.

Oh and Alf, I wanna come to your house!!

Well I unexpectedly did not work out at all today. I didn't even ride! I had to drive to work since I had to take my son to an orthodontic appointment and then I went to see a friend in hospital (it was suppose to be day surgery yesterday but looks like they will operate again tomorrow, poor kid, she's 19 and it's a herniated disc).

I could have had a huge deficit since I seem to be low on calories and yet...I had the chocolate muffin and ice cream! I'm still under my goal, but that's because I'm changing it up and I've slowly upped my calories. See if changing the goal and amounts of exercise around periodically will help.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Cool Kids.

I did the whole get out early and work late thing this morning. {it was 95F with a heat index of 100F when I came inside} But I got everything planted except the two fig trees and the olive tree. Then tonight I worked on tying up tomato plants in the garden, and transplanting peppers, tomatoes and grapevine sprouts into cups here in the house. Another big under day for me, but I have ate all I can hold. Maybe I can force myself to have that slice of cake before bedtime.

KS, family have a way of making a hard thing harder. Just do what you think is right, and let the rest of it fall where it will.

Alf, good looking cupcakes. If I had a few of those I wouldn't be singing the too skinny blues.

CG, more flower power!!!!!! But where are the dancing bears?

Here is a blooming prickly pear I had to dodge while I was planting trees this morning.

0gg8df575rxv.jpg

• writeliving
    writeliving Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Joining this group for fun and support. I'm looking for the easiest possible calorie and activity tracker! Have successfully used SP, but wanted to find something even better. Had a good first day back on the wagon.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all. It's a beautiful day here, a little cool and breezy this morning. I had gone out to work in the flower beds. I still hadn't cleaned them out from winter, I hate that job and put it off forever, but today is the day. Got to get it done while it's cooler and breezy so the bugs won't be so bad. This will be my exercise for the day even though I can't really give it a real count. It needs to get done. It started raining, so I am taking a breakfast break, but need to get back out and get it done. I actually love it out this time in the morning as it's a little cool and nice out. I hate it when it gets hot and buggy. My bleeding hearts are blooming and I have a few baby ones coming up and need to find them a new home. Some tulips and daffodils are out too. I have a lot of bee balm coming and even though it won't bloom till the end of summer, I can smell it and love the smell of the plants. I know I will be hurting tomorrow though from being on my hands and knees today, but hopefully it won't be as bad as usual since I am in better shape.
    I got to spend a few hours with a quilting friend yesterday. she's having a quilters yard sale and gave me first picks, so that was a little too much fun for me. Plus dropped off and picked up some quilts from her.

Larro, I can't believe that little cactus has a flower already, it's so small. Very pretty. You have been doing so much planting, wow. You are definitely a go getter.
    Alf those cupcakes with the colored icing look so pretty, how'd you do that... Actually cupcakes aren't really a weakness for me. It's cookies that I have trouble with and chocolate.
    Kelly Sue, I know people are quick to judge and give their opinion. too bad they aren't quick on lending a hand if they think you need one. so sorry about that. I hope it gets better and that he gets to the point he can do some things comfortably on his own. Be patient and maybe ask for help from some of these people if they're so concerned.
    Curious George, I can't hardly imagine seeing the whales in person doing their belly flop thing. That would be amazing. the video would be so neat. Congrats on your loss and it is great to see results knowing what you're doing is working. Yea...
    To everyone else, hope you all have a great day. I need to get back out there, the weeds and dead flower stuff is calling..... Trying to have a productive day... Yea....
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Morning Kids...Hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

Alf---You should be ashamed of yourself tempting everyone with those sinful cupcakes (lol)....Just kidding. They look good.

Beeps-Looks like you had a great workout.

KellySue--Coming from a fellow caretaker, it is not easy. Family and friends mean well, but often times lack compassion when their lives are on the greener side. You are doing a great job caring for your husband. When he is able to do more, he will. You rock still keeping up with working out.

CG--You know I am anxiously waiting to see the video of your venture. Buttercup is still bad as EVER. It is so thrilling to see more women riding bikes. I LOVE IT.....

Larro---Did you have room for the cake? If so, what kind? I love figs. Would you happen to be renting out a gazebo of some sort next to your garden? I would have an overfill of fresh veggies and all. HMMMM HMMMM...Move over MIDAS....lol

I have TRX tonight and looking forward to it. Extreme fit was EXTREME on Monday. We ran so much between sets, one of my classmates and I walked instead of running as we both looked like we were going to faint...lol. In terms of the Brooks sneakers, so far so good. I wear a 9 but the Brooks run about 1/2 size small in which I had to get a 9 1/2. Will keep you posted on them. Nikes made my feet burn, Asics NIMBUS was even worse. My feet started to feel reprieve when I brought Mizuno as they were suggested for me. After 2 pairs, I felt I will still missing a little more cushy and stability and that lead me up to Brooks. I now understand better that a stability shoe best for me. Sneakers cost way too much money to make a mistake or have sore feet.

3furballs--Sorry about your friend...I do go up and down with my calories and so forth.

Keep the beautiful photos coming.

Welcome all newbies and for all of my other 40+.....CHEERS

Have a great day everyone.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day! Thanks for all of your support with hubby. Unfortunately my family lives about 50 miles away so even if I thought they would help they aren't right around the corner.
    I wanted to go walk this morning, but it's raining here so I got on the elliptical instead. Still a good work out.
    Have a good day all! :*<3
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    did a dumb bell leg routine this morning. tomorrow will be "back day".
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Missy had me jogging 19 minutes today. I did all the math and mapping and my average speed with walking/jogging is a 17 minute mile over approximately 1.75 miles. Nothing to write home about yet but I'm working on it. Week 2 and it is getting easier. I am mixing max jogging and more walking days in for variety and according to soreness/exhaustion. Last night I was supposed to work some more but fell asleep in front of the computer - sitting up. Guess I need to keep working on balancing the equation.
    5 year old fell at swim class, major goose egg on his head so that made for a less than restful night. He seems fine but what a worry. End of school crush is upon me and compounding with a new job - I need to learn to say no more. Looking forward to Memorial Day weekend for a bit of peace - sort of. Need to rake and clean at the cabin but then it will open and ready for summer.
    Hi all and hang in there KS and all the rest caring for little uns and big uns!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi Cool Kids!!!

I'm back!!!! Vacation was awesome! Fabulous weather and calm seas (for the most part).
    @alf1163- you would be proud! For as much food as there was we only ate at meal times and I managed to only gain 2 pounds! I used to gym on the ship once. The rest of the time I did the Carnival Splendor Stairmaster. LOL
    We were on Deck 7 so we walked every floor just about. LOL
  • charlottejackson7731
    charlottejackson7731 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So I feel I am in a losing battle...scale goes up and up...what do you use for weight training that you actually stick with.. I know get off my butt but I am a single parent of a disabled 24 yr old son so I want to get him more fit to....
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good morning Cool Kids!
    Welcome back Stephannie! I can't wait to hear more vacation stories. Only 2 lbs? That's an accomplishment!
    Nick, I hear you about working on your "no". Just don't use it with your personal trainer Missy!
    GG, is the insanity over? Just dumb bells?
    KS, you are such a locomotive! Just keep chugging away and making progress toward your goals no matter what's getting thrown on your tracks. You're amazing, and I'm sure hubby appreciates all you do. Sometimes others react negatively out of a feeling of personal guilt -- e.g. they don't think they could/would do as much as you, so need to make it okay for themselves by expressing it to you. Let it roll away. It's not about you, it's about them. Too bad they're too far away to help.
    Caramel, so funny about your class. I had the same experience in HardCORE yesterday! Could NOT hold that side plank one more second! I'm editing down the video tonight...there's a great 5-second snip. I'll post tonight or tomorrow. You'll love it!
    Natalie, thanks for the reminder about bee balm! I've been trying to think what to plant in a certain place, and want to feed the wild things.
    Welcome writeliving (funny name!)
    Cute little cactus Larro. I'm gardening vicariously through you. I have a fig tree in a pot on the deck. Well, a fig stick really. But this year it has 5 figs! I'm pretty excited about that. No peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers or melons here on the coast. They just won't ripen without heat. Luckily we have farmers an hour inland that grow them for the market.
    furballs, love the new muscle shot!
    Beeps, your poor hips! But it sounds like a great day.
    Oh Alf! I'm so glad I can't reach those!!!

Still sticking to my plan. Managing to come in under goal every weekday ... weekends I'm a little more relaxed, but not crazy, and still close to goal - but I don't log everything. Down 4 lbs since last Monday, so pretty good progress. Tough personal love. Bike commute today, but nothing else other than house & yard chores this evening.

Have an awesome one - you can, because you're Cool Kids!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    GG, is the insanity over? Just dumb bells?
    yup...Asylum was 30 days.

dumb bells was plenty. :) alternating front back lunges, "goblet squats", regular squats, "Bulgarian squats", side to side "sumo squats"...plenty.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    OMG thank GOODNESS it is a REST DAY, TODAY!

Holy smokes....
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Great photo, larro.

Great workout, caramel.

KellySue - happy hump day to you, too!

curious - I wish I could be down 4 lbs by Monday....

gam3rguy - you are a man of few words.

"hello" to everyone else!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Not So Good Afternoon.

Margie just called. Our two local papers come out on Wednesday, and she saw where our cleaning lady's house burned. I don't know any details, but I sure feel for the lady. She is about 60 years old and raising her two granddaughters. Her husband and son suffer from anxiety, so she has to care for them as well. Last week when she was here she was saying she had lost a house {to clean} because the man had gone into the nursing home, and she wasn't really looking to replace it. I bet now she will be beating the bushes trying to find work.

But on a more cheerful subject, I planted a row of bell peppers and two {short} rows of mini sweet peppers. {I tried to find seeds for the mini sweet peppers, but ended up saving seeds from peppers we bought} The sweet corn is tasseling {pollinating} and there is blooms and little cucumbers on the Iraqi cucumbers, little melons on the Crimson Sweets, Bells and Jalapeno both have small peppers on them and the squash need picking.

Went over to Mamma's first thing this morning and planted her blueberry bush {Mother's Day gift from Margie and I} and helped her pot a few Purple Muscadine and Bronze Scuppernong grapevines. I put about 50-75 in cups last night. Will do more tonight.

Beeps, I like your new avatar. I thought for a second we had a new person on here ;)

Stephannie, glad you had a good time on your cruise. That little of a gain is like a lose where cruises are concerned.

Nick, saying no is something you have to master, at work and in your home life. Mamma runs Sister ragged with all her little chores. When she ask me to do some crazy something or other, just like Nancy Reagan taught me, I just say no.

Natalie, your quilt pre-sale might be like me and my thrift store shopping. Even though I don't need another whatever {shirts mostly}, I will convince myself that the price is just too good to walk away from.

Caramel, no I did not have the late night slice of lemon lime cake {with cream cheese icing} that was leftover from our Mother's Day supper, but I did have 14g of {Amport Food brand} Santa Fe Trail Mix and 18g of Indulgent Trail Mix. I weighed the same this morning as yesterday morning {169.9} but I have found it takes two days for a high or low calorie day to show up at the scale.

Charlotte, welcome. Losing weight is all about what you eat. When I started out all the cardio I did was a little slow walking. What did it for me was lots and lots of low calorie foods like mixed veggies, stir-fry veggies and green beans. You can eat a huge plateful and it's only a couple hundred calories. And people laugh when I say this, but eat food. What I mean by that is stay away from food products. A good rule of thumb is if your Granny ate it, it is probably food. If it comes in a box or from the freezer isle of the grocer, {frozen veggies excepted} it is most likely a food product. And of course stay away from sodas, fast food, calorie dense foods and most fried stuff. I lost 70 pounds without too much suffering, so it can be done. Good luck.

Hello to anyone I missed. Hope everyone is having a good day,

Larro

Corn tassel:
    esumgdi03vdu.jpg

Iraqi cucumber:
    jut7e2gixnzl.jpg

• Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Larro, yes it's hard for me to not want what someone else is trying to get rid of sometimes. Especially this sweet lady I quilt for, we bartered my quilting services for the stuff I got. I even got a quilt kit for my mom and got it in the mail for her today. I love yard sales and thrift stores too, but have to tell myself, are you really going to use that. This year it will be nice to find a few more shirts and pants in smaller sizes for cheap.
    Your cucumbers look wonderful.
    I survived the flower beds. I have some wild thorny raspberry plants or something, and something else that is a huge stalk and thorny growing in my flower bed. The roots are so long and they travel, so I tried to get that out of my delphiniams. I worked outside for 4 1/2 hours which is enormous for me, thankful it was cool and breezy, the bugs weren't bugging me. I also vacuumed out my car (saw some mouse droppings in the cup holder). Of all the cars we have and junk laying around, why my car. I put fresh bounce sheets under all the seats, supposed to get rid of them.
    Jared has a school spring concert tonight (only told me last night) so we are off to that, he plays trumpet and sings in the chorus too. I had a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and pecans in it for dinner and it was really good. It's weird dinner night, just in case you didn't get the memo....
    Last night I got the last of the binding on Mom's quilt for her 70th bday Sunday. Whew...... Glad it's done.
    Everyone have a great night.