40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Day: 72 of P90X/P90X+ hybrid Interval X Plus"=Done!
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Lost 1.5lb this week - yay! Today, I'm adding strength training to my exercise mix. I've spent the past 8 weeks carefully building up my core strength with pilates, and my back finally feels robust enough to take on weights. So, session with my PT going through all the gym equipment, and him setting me up on a progressive strength training program tonight. Adding that to my current program will finally bring me up to a full exercise program of 5/6 days a week, with different stuff. I like the variety I've got (rowing/elliptical/bike machines, spinning, boxing and aerobics classes for cardio, pilates for core strength and overall flexibility, and now weight/resistance exercises).
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    any one have any suggestions on IF? I am starting the Leangains IF. Today was 1st day & it went good. I plan to eat from 12-8 and then fast from 8 PM until noon the next day. Work out will fall right at the end of the fast.... I could also fit in a 2nd workout towards the evening. I have been reading some info but a little confusing on workouts at end of fast period before refueling. Goal is to weight loss
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The dinner sounds very yummy. Larro, that casserole, YUM!!

Dizzieblonde, congrats on your weightloss!

Ruby, IF has worked for me really well!!!! I've never really followed the workout schedule that well. I just worked out whenever it was convenient for me, either fasted or after having a meal. Last cruise I did with my hubby I did 16:8, mainly skipping breakfast, and I didn't gain a pound!!!! I didn't feel deprived either!! I've been thinking about going back to it. Good luck!!!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Day: 73 of P90X/P90X+ hybrid Chest, Shoulders & Triceps & Ab Ripper X"=Done!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

This is a cleaning lady day, so I'm doing all my pre-cleaning lady cleaning. I took time out to cook and eat this.

64lztd9gupu4.jpg

A 4 egg, bacon, cheese, tomato and {Jalapeno, mini sweet and Anaheim Chili} pepper omelette, more bacon, green beans, toast, grapes and cantaloupe. Very good and calorific {840}. I spent yesterday running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, and didn't eat well at all. I was 1K under on calories without the aid of a big cardio burn. This morning I weighed in at 168, almost 3 pounds down from yesterday morning. Maybe that breakfast will catch me up.

Sdereski, 32C is hot for your neck of the woods. Do you guys even have AC up there? Heat kills more people than any other weather related danger, so if it keeps on like that, check on your older neighbors. This was what my car thermometer read at 1400 yesterday afternoon. It wasn't really that hot, just 98.8F.

8p6yqmmfnhlp.jpg

DB, congratulation on the weight loss. It sounds like you have a solid plan in place.

Ruby, it's good to see you again. I have never done IF, but the 5-2 fasting was the most effective weight loss thing I ever did. I lost 40 pounds {240-200} from August 2013 through the New Year 2014 using it.

You guys have a good one,

Larro

[/quote] thanks for the tip. some good looking chow in those pics. I guess I am gonna have to figure out how to post some pics over there.[/quote]

To post a picture you click on the icon above that looks like a sheet of paper. Then click choose file if the picture is on your phone or laptop. If you are taking it from a photo sharing site, copy the image URL and paste it, then click enter. I started a thread for practicing if you want to get away from the bright lights for your first try.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10013081/testing-1-2-3#latest
  • ruby70
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone. Larro your breakfast looks amazing!!! How did the 5-2 work. Did you fast for 2 days and eat normal for 5?
    Alf- that is the same plan I am going to try is 16:8. I was reading last night about taking a BCAA supplement at the end of the fast if you are going to do a heavy lifting workout. I will check into that too.

We were on vacation last week up in Northern WI for a fishing trip. It was awesome but I did not do good on the eating. I came back more motivated to get serious. I have to get in a better place before winter hits up here or it will be impossible.

Hope you are all having a great day!
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ruby I'm trying 5/2 at the moment as well. I find it pretty easy, 2 days of 600 calories a day (500 for women), then the rest of the week at close to your normal TDEE. I still don't eat too much on those days
    I'm actually going a little bit more than that, with alternate day fasting while I'm away at work, and then back to 5/2 when I'm at home. Lost 3kg in the 7 weeks I've been doing it including a 5 day holiday in Broome, plus a celebration dinner of Xmas in July.
    Check on The Fast Diet for a bit of scientific stuff about it as its supposed to be beneicial to your Auto immune systems.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    ruby70 wrote: »
    Good Morning Everyone. Larro your breakfast looks amazing!!! How did the 5-2 work. Did you fast for 2 days and eat normal for 5?

Like Andy said, you have 500 calories on two non-consecutive days, then eat normal the other five days. With stir-fry, mixed veggies, green beans, chicken breast, turkey and fish, I had plenty to eat and was never hungry. And you will eat less calories on your non-fast days as you get used to less on your fast days.

Here is a video that tells the story of the science behind it. It's an hour long, but worth watching.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    nice looking ommie there, Larro. I bet that was tasty.

98.8 - lovely. We get that up here in NC, but this year hasn't been too rough. Hovering around 90 this week.

Still studying for an exam/certification I have to take for work in a couple days. Did get a workout in. I tack note cards to the wall while I am on the treadmill - studying while treadmilling stinks - everything is so bouncy when reading. Cant wait to be through the exam so I can just go back to tunes and my dirty, dusty garage wall.

• MitchWhite2015
    MitchWhite2015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey if you need a little motivation or like inspiring quotes add me up :)
  • kauffman68
    kauffman68 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well I'm new here, again 46 yrs old and trying to lose 30 pounds am short so 153 is a lot for me. Look forward to being part of a great support system
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Day: 74 of P90X/P90X+ hybrid Yoga X"=Done!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Nice pic Beebs!

Larro, that omlette looks delish. Reminds me we should have them for dinner more often.

I'll be off to take the kids camping (by myself, eeekk!) Saturday and we're staying 3 nights in Barrie (hitting up Kempenfest) and then staying to Toronto for 2 nights and going to the acquarium (staying at my sisters). Should be fun. I'll be hopefully logging in but there will be burgers and beer. Though since being on vacation last week and we've had some wonderful hot steamy weather, there has been a lot of beer already! But now I'll switch back to my usual light beer. I was in the states last week and got a 30 of Rolling Rock for almost half of what a 12 costs here!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Ruby I too have started the 5/2 IF. I do not do two consecutive days as I wouldn't be able to do my workouts if I did it that way. When I space them out, I still feel strong enough to get a workout in on fasting days.

Larro - that breakfast looks amazing! YUM! Yes, during that heat, we are cautioned and told to check on our elderly neighbours. Don't think anyone ever died from heat in this neck of the woods - from the cold, yes, but not heat. We are back down to more "normal" temps here, but I have to admit, I LOVE the heat! Love summertime. :)

Beeps - love the pictures. Quit the European tour you are on. Very nice!

Had an interesting call the other night -at midnight, someone called looking for a place to stay. Apparently all hotels / motels in the area were booked. This was a young family with two children. They are new immigrants to Canada and had no idea just how big our province is. So, of course I said "yes". Am such a sucker that way. They were such a lovely family and the children were so, so polite. They were Russian Jews from Israel that have fled because of this whole Muslim thing over there. Scary for them, and sad that they have had to leave their homeland. You can tell they miss it. Anyway, they loved their stay and plan to stay with me again on Saturday on their way back "home", which is now Winnipeg. :smile:

Spent the evening at camp yesterday with two of my granddaughters. Esme was happy playing with the other kids and I was able to cuddle with little Audrey Rose. I don't get to see her as often as she lives out of town. She is already 5 1/2 mths old! <3
  • larrodarro
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    I was in the states last week and got a 30 of Rolling Rock for almost half of what a 12 costs here!

It always brings a tear to my eye when I hear those last strains of the Star Spangled Banner.

O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave cheap beer?

• larrodarro
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

Nice picture Beeps. I know you are having fun.

I slept in today, and haven't even been to the garden yet. I will be running my niece and the little ones to the airport in Panama City after lunch, then going straight to work from there. So not much cardio today.

Yesterday Camden and I had a few minutes of quiet before he decided it was time to raise Holy Hell. He is a good baby unless he is hungry. Judging by the size of him at five months old, he is always hungry.

369n49fjzlrf.jpg

Welcome to the new guys and hello to everyone else.

You guys have a good one,

Larro

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Getting prepared to head to Arizona. Who goes to Phoenix in August? ? Last time I was there in August to hit 122degrees F. Even as "dry heat" that's tough to handle.
  • ruby70
    Options
    Sederski - that is awesome you took in your guests at midnight. Your story made me realize how lucky we are to have a safe home. I know disaster could happen but there are people who have to leave their homelands because of the violence. That is so sad.

Thanks for everyones input on the 5:2 fasting. Wow 500 calories only 2 times a week. I am not sure if I have the willpower to do that. That is awesome you are able to have that much willpower. I will give that some thought. I would love to see the scale move down.

Beeps - thanks for sharing the beauty you are experiencing. It is amazing.....