Replies

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    BACK=DONE!
  • scootchidoo
    scootchidoo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I popped in a few days ago to say I'd be back and...well....I'm here now if that counts. :)

I'm 45 years old (next month, but close enough). I have about 20 lbs to lose, but I'll be happy with 15. I work from home as a remote employee for a U.S. company approximately 60 -80 hours a week. As you can imagine, I don't get to move around a lot. I'm trying to change that.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and making some friends. :)
  • mmstyler
    mmstyler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! 42 here! Need to lose about 25 lbs! This app is so helpful, thought I was eating great but after ligging food I realized I was overloading on fats (from nuts). No wonder I wasnt getting anywhere!!!!
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I popped in a few days ago to say I'd be back and...well....I'm here now if that counts. :)

I'm 45 years old (next month, but close enough). I have about 20 lbs to lose, but I'll be happy with 15. I work from home as a remote employee for a U.S. company approximately 60 -80 hours a week. As you can imagine, I don't get to move around a lot. I'm trying to change that.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and making some friends. :)

• mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Hope all you guys are doing well. I'm still rolling along, keeping busy on the farm. I have been able to get my weight back up to 171 due to less shoveling and more ice cream. I just have to make sure I don't get to enjoying it too much.

Welcome to the new guys and hello to everyone else. Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I don't think about you guys. I'm just going through one of my antisocial media phases.

Larro

alf1163 wrote: »
    Larro, Great to hear from you again!! How are you?

Hey, sorry for being AWOL for so long. I still peek in from time to time, just not a lot to say. You are doing great work here, keeping everyone's spirits up. The New Year's rush is always busy around here.
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi all! Definitely part of the club at 42. I really found the post-40 body change everyone talked abut was real. As I get older, I realize that if I slack for more than 1-2 days, I see and feel the impact. So, here I am, back on MFP trying to keep myself accountable. Good luck, everyone!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Bis & Tris=Done!
  • heatherluuu
    heatherluuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    Bis & Tris=Done!
    killin it!

• moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    42 in March, determined to get into the best shape of my life!
  • heatherluuu
    heatherluuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey folks! I'm 41 and am trying to drop 20 pounds of fat and pick up lots of muscle. I've ran for many years but never stick with resistance training.
    Have hired a trainer and started working with him this week. Diet is obviously a huge challenge as well! So many different opinions on the correct way to eat. I believe I have tried them all - stuck with none.
    I'm a road warrior and eat at restaurants at least four nights a week.
    I'm going to attempt carb matching, resistance training 2x/week, cardio 3x/week.
    And if anyone would like to add me, please do!
  • Kvm11628
    Options
    #heatherlulu, I am a road warrior, too (in fall about 7 weeks straight, and in spring about 6 weeks on and off). During those times, I leave home on Sunday afternoons and don't come home until Friday night - five nights in a row of hotels and no kitchen of my own. SO HARD. I have gotten pretty good at keeping my food in check while on the road, but keeping an exercise routine is hard. When possible, I try to stay at hotels I know have good cardio rooms and/or weights. I get up early to get a cardio routine in before my work day. Weight training is REALLY hard on the road, because good weights are rare in hotels. I travel with resistance bands so I can do at least something most days (but it does not match what I can do in a gym). I also discovered a web site (free) called Fitness Blender (www.fitnessblender.com). You can plug in your parameters - what area of your body you want to work, how much time you have, what equipment you have available, space you have, etc. and it will spit back workouts you can do with little or no equipment or space. I figure that even if you are not getting a perfect workout in, you are doing something and you are mentally keeping consistency.

I used to do primarily cardio, figuring I wanted to burn fat, this was the best way. I will say that once I started consistently working with weight training, I found my workouts easier. I loved seeing muscle emerge (even under fat!) and I found it motivating. Just know that if you are building muscle mass, the number on the scale might not budge as much or as quickly. So, I suggest focusing less on the number on the scale, and more on the fit of your clothes. I found I looked better at a higher weight with muscle than I did at a lower weight with less muscle. Of course, I let myself slack the last year, so, now, here I am trying to reverse the damage. Sigh.

Oh, and in terms of eating, for me, eating on a "plan" doesn't work. Once my initial enthusiasm and focus wanes, I end up slacking. So, I try to eat "whole" as much as possible and not wholly eliminate anything - I just try to honestly log my food, indulge when I need to, and remember that this is not a diet. Especially at my age, I have come to really believe that tracking food just has to be a way of life if I want to reach and maintain my goals.

Good luck!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Way over 40. Lol and below goal.

Height 5'3"
    SW 155
    CW 123
    GW 127

ugnvi71f72bd.jpeg

• jeanie28
    jeanie28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join. I turn 40 in July and after a couple years of slacking I've gained over 40 lbs which I'd like to kick to the curb! I used to workout all the time, loved it and needed it in my life and then things happened causing me to slack. In addition, I had ACL replacement surgery 10/7 so I'm only 3 months out and have to be very careful with any exercise that I do. No jogging, jumping, etc until at least 6 months with a brace. Hopefully I'm close enough to to the age group to join and look forward to the support!
  • Kvm11628
    Options
    Jeanie - good luck on the recovery. I suggest the eliptical or the bike to be moving without knee strain. You can do this!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Quick driving trip Louisville to Atlanta and back on three days. Had to take a sidev trip down sovwe had 8 hours down and 6 5 hours back. Hard to eat right and really hard to get any decent exercise.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello hello!! Wow, lots of new members!!! Keep it going!!!!

All of you in your 40's don't despair you can lose weight, get stronger, look and feel great in your 40's!!!! I'm 52 now but when I started this thread many years ago I was in my 40's and I was actually in the best shape. You have to work hard and focus but it can be done!!! I let myself go from time to time, especially during the holidays, but I keep on going. Not giving up on myself that's for sure!!

Have a great evening!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    Bis & Tris=Done!
    killin it!
    thanks.
    good luck with the trainer and finding something you can "stick to". :)
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Shoulders=Done! I added a bunch of "I don't knows" at the end, but I did them different today. instead of grabbing the heaviest dumbbells I could and try to get 6-8 reps before my fingers gave out, I grabbed 45# plates and just kept going until the traps burned so bad I COULD'T do any more! sets of 20-25! I can barely turn my head right now!!
  • lmf138
    lmf138 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    40 and joining in as well to try to lose 10 pounds and be in the best shape ever this year.