• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "P90X2 X2 Recovery + Mobility"=Done!
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Tapout XT2: Friday Night XT done!
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    AOS Providence done. Working at clients building for the next few weeks which should help my diet. Hard to cheat while not in the house.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,976 Member
    Went to the gym to get my strength training in, and then checked out our challenges for the Amazing Race challenge group when I got home...so, got one of the challenges knocked out since it was dancing to a bunch of Halloween related videos (even though I'm not a fan of that holiday)...but it's been a while since I've done the Thriller dance or the Time Warp...lol.

Glad @MiamiSeoul is on my team because she's kicking butt with her dedication and minutes of working out!! She is so motivating!!

Also got my planks in today...found that I love the dynamic dolphin plank more than the static forearm holding plank. Challenging and breaks a sweat, but I can do it relatively easily for a minute (much easier on my back), while I'm dying to try to get 30 secs of a forearm plank done in proper hold. I may make this one of my 'go to' plank exercises.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "P90X2 X2 Yoga"=Done!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Zumba and Interval training classes yesterday. The IT just about did me in! Good mix of cardio and weight training. :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,976 Member
    edited October 2016
    TinaPSeger wrote: »
    Just a Newby here! 45 y/o and getting back to a better healthier body. I'm doing cardio today but I'm hoping to start lifting weights soon. Any suggestions where to look for a good program for a woman in her mid 40's? Thanks!

Welcome!!

I find it is a bit less about being female or about your age and more about your personal fitness level, any physical limitations (bad back, bad knees, bad shoulders, etc) and your goals (do you want to work/firm up what you have (since we can't say 'tone' around here), or do you want to add muscle).

I find it helpful to talk to a trainer and, if necessary, pay for at least a short session to point you in the right direction at your gym with your equipment. I was glad I got a free session with a trainer at my gym because he pointed me to alternate machines that were more stabilized to use due to having some lower back issues. He gave me a good beginner routine, which I've already started to modify.

Barring that, you just have to figure out which machines/exercises will match which muscles you want to work on. Here's a few things I've observed...

Weight machines will force you to have better form initially, but you need to know how to adjust them for your body size (most have pretty good graphical descriptions on each machine, but don't be shy to ask someone at the gym how to adjust them). Most gyms have the weight machines set up in some sort of circuit. Often, this is an adequate way to start.

Cable machines are a good next step because they require you to do more to control the weight movements yourself, but there is still some assistance from the pulleys and cables.

Free weights are great if you already know the right form or have someone showing you proper form if you've not done weights before. Some will swear by free weights because you have to have more control which would work the muscle more than being aided by a machine, but personally, I almost always prefer the machines because I can get lazy with my form. Free weights will allow you the most flexibility in your workouts though, and if there is a specific area you are trying to target, your only option might be some sort of free weight exercise. I will eventually add some to my routine since there are a few muscle groups that the machines at my gym don't cover as well as I'd like.

Also, I'd recommend starting out with low weights and work up (don't worry about what others are doing - some of the guys in my gym will have one of the machines I use set at 250 lbs, and I hop on and set it to 30lbs - they are using it for different reasons than me, so no skin off my nose). My first workout in years a few weeks ago was 2-4 sets with the lightest weights on most of the machines, and I was pretty sore the next day, since I wasn't used to working those muscles. But I also used light weights to get my form down, and then as I get used to the correct movement, I start to build the weight.

How often you work out will also depend on your goals. I lean toward a 3 day a week, full body routine right now. Others do a 4 day a week 2 day split routine where they work out upper body one day and lower body the next, then take a rest day and then repeat the two days.

YMMV.
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    b3achy wrote: »
    Went to the gym to get my strength training in, and then checked out our challenges for the Amazing Race challenge group when I got home...so, got one of the challenges knocked out since it was dancing to a bunch of Halloween related videos (even though I'm not a fan of that holiday)...but it's been a while since I've done the Thriller dance or the Time Warp...lol.

Glad @MiamiSeoul is on my team because she's kicking butt with her dedication and minutes of working out!! She is so motivating!!

Also got my planks in today...found that I love the dynamic dolphin plank more than the static forearm holding plank. Challenging and breaks a sweat, but I can do it relatively easily for a minute (much easier on my back), while I'm dying to try to get 30 secs of a forearm plank done in proper hold. I may make this one of my 'go to' plank exercises.

xivydnxg87c0.jpg

@b3achy you know I ♡ you too!

• sohosocialclub
    sohosocialclub Posts: 299 Member
    45. Guess I qualify

• todduga
    todduga Posts: 18 Member
    Ran 5.14 miles this morning.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    edited October 2016
    Just a Newby here! 45 y/o and getting back to a better healthier body. I'm doing cardio today but I'm hoping to start lifting weights soon. Any suggestions where to look for a good program for a woman in her mid 40's? Thanks!

I like the suggestion of a trainer. It costs but it helps focus on what you want with great suggestions plus you will be shown how to do exercises properly so that helps reduce chance of injury and accordingly you are less likely to give up or fall behind your goals if you don't injure yourself.

Edit - I'm assuming you will use a gym but some trainers will also do home sessions. Well worth it IMO
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Welcome to the new kids!

Double session done today. Am strength session with my trainer, then a track workout tonight.

Track work was 1M warmup, 4 x100 fast, 2 x400 marathon pace, 4 x200 fast, 2 x 400 marathon pace, 4 x 100 fast, then 1 M cooldown. Windy and cold at the track tonight, but it felt pretty good.

Signed up for a half marathon trail race on Nov 5th, so I'll get a chance to test my run fitness.

• MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    tojo_73 wrote: »
    AOS Providence done.

So i have an egg white omelette 19 out of 20 mornings but today we were out of any fillings that i usually have (onions mushrooms peppers) so saw some mango salsa in the fridge from fish tacos a couple of nights ago and thought....why not. For those of you thinking yummy...... you are wrong. Edible but not great. Bad call to start the day.

LOL thank you for the information and for the laugh! :D

Tapout XT2: Leg Extreme done! Holding that 8 lbs. tapout ball during the workout, makes the workout much tougher and a whole body workout! even my lats are feeling fatigued!
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    edited October 2016

Tina,

Programs depend a bit on what you want to accomplish. Cardio fitness, strength, flexibility, looking good. There are no shortage of programs out there and lots of threads here that talk about them in pretty good depth (exercise forum). Also consider what your goals are. Unless you are brand new to lifting it is very hard (nearly impossible) to gain muscle while losing weight. If you are losing weight then lifting heavy has shown the best results to maintaining muscle mass. Of those compound movements are better than isolation movements.

If you want to get stronger and are newer to lifting or are wanting to maintain muscle while losing weight I would suggest looking at a 5x5 program like stronglifts, starting strength, or lce cream 5x5.

If you want to improve your cardio fitness and also get a good resistance workout to maximize calorie burn and help maintain muscle mass then a resistance cardio style workout is likely best. This will have a higher calorie burn but won't do as good a job in maintaining muscle mass if you are losing weight. Examples are HIIT style workout, body-weight exercises, Pylo, crossfit, bootcamps or the like. Lots of people here do home based versions like P90X, Tapout XT, Kettlebells, Rushfit, etc. All of which really are high intensity endurance focused exercises with resistance. If you are in a calorie surplus these exercises will all help build muscle (some better than others) but at a slower rate than a low rep heavy weight program.

If you are mainly keen on cardiovascular fitness than I would look more at endurance focused exercise like swimming, walking/running (depending on your fitness level), cycling, zumba, cross country skiing, rowing, paddle-boarding, canoeing, etc. These all have a strength component to them but they have a much more limited movement pattern so while you will maintain portions of your muscle if you are at a calorie deficient you will also lose muscle mass in areas where you are not working.

My biggest advice however is find something you enjoy and do that. Any exercise is better than none. As mentioned earlier web based advice is only good for general information. For specific goals you are much better off seeing someone in person (preferable with both a personal training and a kinesiology background) to help set up a program to addresses both proper form and your body's weaknesses particularly if this is new to you.