40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Another good walk yesterday. 9.30 kms , average pace 8:45 per km.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "P90X2 P.A.P. Upper"=Done!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    21DFX Upper Fix Extreme and 10-minute Hardcore...DONE! I need to do a little baking today before heading out to a concert tonight. Have a great day everyone!
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »

@tojo_73 - My wife and I have spent our share of time on the soccer sidelines when our kids were in school, so I'd guess that your cheering duties may have been tougher than my cardio work, lol.

Regarding BCAAs, I don't take them pre workout, but I try to take in a whey protein/carb source (including BCAAs) post workout to aid in muscle repair and overall recovery. This is especially true for endurance workouts that exceed 3 hours in length, since they deplete not only glycogen, but may cannibalize 50-60 grams of lean muscle protein as well.

Lately I'm much more focused on endurance than strength work (5/6 times vs 1 time/weekly), but if you're working hard, you may be feeling the effects of your cumulative training load. Perhaps a look at recovery fueling might be helpful, or maybe a recovery week of lesser volume would be in order?

Thanks @Djproulx Realistically I cant see my issue being overtraining. I am pretty set with 3 kettlebells workouts a week and try for one moderate length ride (with three kids that need constant chauffeuring time is always tight) that rarely exceeds 2.5hrs.

I am just tired (muscle weary) I think I have convinced my mind that the BCAAs have a regenerative effect. Curious if anyone else feels the same or if its just a plecebo or nocebo effect on my head.

Ultimately it might not matter as I am leaning to buying some more. I just hate feeling like I am a sap for doing so :/
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    I am taking this week off of lifting. Three weeks ago I developed plantars faciitis in my right foot from pushing hard on the treadmill (I usually lift then treadmill for 45min to an hour). I stopped the cardio and kept lifting to allow my foot time to heal (it still hasn't). Today, I discovered a wonderful pulled muscle in my upper left thigh and hamstring. :( I think my body needs some time to heal for a bit. So this week, I will find out just how good CICO works without exercise b/c I've done mfp since the beginning of the year with exercising almost daily during the week. A bit nervous about this, but my body is screaming for a break. :/

Sounds like you definitely need a break! I've learned the hard way that "pushing through the pain" just leads to more injuries and prolonged recovery times. That flawed thinking on my part led me to miss 8 weeks of training during the summer racing season a few years back due to a nagging injury that was not allowed to heal. NOT a good strategy.

Regarding your PF and thigh/hamstring issues - two of my training partners are battling the same issues currently. Both women are in the early weeks of our marathon training and both have seen medical professionals to get a diagnosis and treatment plan. For PF, there is no substitute for rest in the short term. Otherwise the inflammation never goes away. As you start to feel better, you may find that substituting some cycling, elliptical or other low impact aerobic work would let you maintain cardio fitness while still allowing your injuries to heal.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Thanks. I'm hoping the rest helps. I've tried 3 different new pairs of shoes for the PF. I've been mildly successful with one. I'm going to look at others this week and see if I can find a better pair. I can already feel my pulled muscle improving so that at least makes me feel better about missing lifting. I worry mostly about not lifting while losing just b/c I'm trying to preserve whatever muscle mass I can. <sigh> But you're right. Rest is needed. I still lost a little the past 24hrs so I know if I keep my calories tight I'll be fine. I've just always liked having the exercise buffer. Good thing I'm not a big overeater at Thanksgiving!
  • ronjsteele1
    tojo_73 wrote: »

@tojo_73 - My wife and I have spent our share of time on the soccer sidelines when our kids were in school, so I'd guess that your cheering duties may have been tougher than my cardio work, lol.

Regarding BCAAs, I don't take them pre workout, but I try to take in a whey protein/carb source (including BCAAs) post workout to aid in muscle repair and overall recovery. This is especially true for endurance workouts that exceed 3 hours in length, since they deplete not only glycogen, but may cannibalize 50-60 grams of lean muscle protein as well.

Lately I'm much more focused on endurance than strength work (5/6 times vs 1 time/weekly), but if you're working hard, you may be feeling the effects of your cumulative training load. Perhaps a look at recovery fueling might be helpful, or maybe a recovery week of lesser volume would be in order?

Thanks @Djproulx Realistically I cant see my issue being overtraining. I am pretty set with 3 kettlebells workouts a week and try for one moderate length ride (with three kids that need constant chauffeuring time is always tight) that rarely exceeds 2.5hrs.

I am just tired (muscle weary) I think I have convinced my mind that the BCAAs have a regenerative effect. Curious if anyone else feels the same or if its just a plecebo or nocebo effect on my head.

Ultimately it might not matter as I am leaning to buying some more. I just hate feeling like I am a sap for doing so :/

I don't take BCAA but I do know people that do and swear by them with working out. I was wondering if the tired (muscle weary) could indicate a need for more B vitamins? As we get older (sorry, don't know how old you are), we absorb less B vitamins from our food. They are water soluable so the body flushes out what we don't use which means we constantly have to get it from the food we eat. I'm 46 and I know that if I don't take them I get way over exhausted feeling. That started when I hit about 44 or 45. Might be something to consider that might be more of a B vitamin defiency then a need for aminos. Stress, lack of sleep, and a number of other factors can deplete B's in the body faster then "normal" (whatever that is for each person) too.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Shortcut to size: Back, Biceps and Abs done!
  • cottonanddust
    cottonanddust Posts: 20 Member
    Count me in. 41 father of 3. Own a manufacturing company and wife has cancer. She's 38. So to cope on my end, I ate alllllll my feelings and gained 48 pounds over the 3 years she's been sick. But I'm no good to anyone if I cannot be of healthy mind, body, and spirit. Also, my first is in junior high now so you'd think I be drinking now but alas. I'm also an ex- 2 pack a day smoker, 18 years free, cold turkey.
  • tojo_73
    edited November 2016

I don't take BCAA but I do know people that do and swear by them with working out. I was wondering if the tired (muscle weary) could indicate a need for more B vitamins? As we get older (sorry, don't know how old you are), we absorb less B vitamins from our food. They are water soluable so the body flushes out what we don't use which means we constantly have to get it from the food we eat. I'm 46 and I know that if I don't take them I get way over exhausted feeling. That started when I hit about 44 or 45. Might be something to consider that might be more of a B vitamin defiency then a need for aminos. Stress, lack of sleep, and a number of other factors can deplete B's in the body faster then "normal" (whatever that is for each person) too.

I take the kids gummy vitamins :) which have B6 and B12 (not sure if those are the ones you mean or others like folate and niacin?). Sleep is consistent, same with stress. I honestly think I have it in my head that it is the lack of BCAAs (although I know you get BCAAs in proteins and lentils- which I eat lots of so I shouldn't need to supplement) irrational as that seems to me. I think I will add them back in after the weekend and see. I don't know which outcome I am hoping for though. I feel better (and need to keep buying the supplements) or stay the same (and am right that I don't need the BCAAs but continue feeling tired). :/

Ah well - good to vent at least.
  • ronjsteele1
    tojo_73 wrote: »

I take the kids gummy vitamins :) which have B6 and B12 (not sure if those are the ones you mean or others like folate and niacin?). Sleep is consistent, same with stress. I honestly think I have it in my head that it is the lack of BCAAs (although I know you get BCAAs in proteins and lentils- which I eat lots of so I shouldn't need to supplement) irrational as that seems to me. I think I will add them back in after the weekend and see. I don't know which outcome I am hoping for though. I feel better (and need to keep buying the supplements) or stay the same (and am right that I don't need the BCAAs but continue feeling tired). :/

Ah well - good to vent at least.

You know what? No matter what other people say about supplements, if you notice a difference, you notice a diffrence.

We are all individuals and have different physical needs. As far as b's go, keep in mind that your b6 and b12 needs will be greater then what's in your gummy. Yes, those are the main b's that will affect your energy. You can experiment with increasing it by double for 3-4 days to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, no harm done and you go back to your regular amounts. It's exactly what your basically doing with the BCAA.

Do what's best for you. It's always good to seek input, but in the end, you know what your body needs.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,926 Member
    I thin BCAAs are "placebo"....but like ronj says "if you ThInK they work, then they work!"

i did lift, today. BOOM,
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Hit the gym today! Yep so sore and rightly so as I've been really slack ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

It's been raining here the last few days so no riding. Time to take out the trainer :#
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "P90X2 X2 Yoga"=Done!
  • ronjsteele1
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    I thin BCAAs are "placebo"....but like ronj says "if you ThInK they work, then they work!"

i did lift, today. BOOM,

I want to be careful here. But words mean things so I want what I'm quoted as saying to be accurate. I didn't say "if he THINKS they work." I said if he "feels a difference then he feels a difference." I do not mean placebo by that. We are all wired a bit different with different needs and he may in fact feel better on BCAA whereas someone else may not notice a difference.

Not trying to sparse words but accuracy in this case matters.
  • tojo_73
    AOS Newport done.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,926 Member
    Alright, ronj, I won't quote.

No lifting for me today, it is a rest day.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited November 2016
    I haven't been here in a while. I had a trip to NYC for a meeting as I made the final decision to take my professional practice out of the present firm and work for myself. Oh and we are finishing the design work on the new house we are planning to build. lots to do and little time.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating today! :)

Back to back fitness classes last night. Man oh man, the instructor was a demon! But, I loved it. We used weights for everything we did. Lots of working to failure yesterday.
    So, did great eating during the day, great workouts, and then I get home and eat 3 cookies! :s

Back at it today! Not sure I am going to get any workout or walks in.
    Vegetarian cooking class tonight, and then bridge immediately following.

Girls weekend coming up. So shopping, wine & dine time. Just hope I get enough steps in shopping. ;)