40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @caramelgyrlk

At the moment I don’t use knee wraps. You really don’t need anything at all until you get to about 80% of your max. The reason being, you’ll recruit more accessory muscles without, so why not. Since you are just building technique right now, I’d avoid any for as long as possible. I would recommend Shiek wrist wraps, get them on Amazon. Get the long ones. For knee wraps my coach recommends a worn out Ace bandage. Really. As a second choice he says the SuperTraining sleeves. I would only use knee sleeves for deep squats though. I am just now starting to think I might need them...I am squatting about 95% of my body weight at this time. But if you don’t have knee problems and are not squatting *kitten* to grass then again avoid them as long as possible. Honestly, the first piece of equipment you should get and use is lifting straps. Just my opinion! Also, embrace callouses, gloves will make it harder for you to grip when it gets heavy.
  • toddandwendy3
    toddandwendy3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a cool kid.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts DUN!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Body Beast Build: Bulk Arms" & "21 Day Fix Pilates Fix"=Done!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's WOD

Warmup:
    Star Jumps x 1 minute
    High Knee Skipping
    Broad Jumps
    Monkey Hops
    Cat and Cow x 10
    Quadroped Scap Rotations x 10

D-Ball Overhead Carry 10 x 10m with 30lbs ball

D-Ball Clean 5 x 5m (45lbs ball)
    At eacj meter 2 x squat and clean
    Chest carry between stations

Midline:
    Alt tabata Table Top and L-Sit x 4 minutes

Conditioning:
    EMOM 3 x 5 monutes
    Min 1 = 15 calorie row
    Min 2 = 12 x box jumps (my first time so i did it on a 20cm plate stack)
    Min 3 = D-Ball Ground to over the shoulder (30kg/66lbs) ball
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Wow! Where the heck have I been?! I couldn't believe how much I had missed.
    @gam3rguy - great pictures!
    @caramelgyrlk - love, love that picture! You look strong and focused!

I have been running! Yes, I am back at it. Am feeling better while running, and moving a little faster. I even did a run in the dark, snow and cold yesterday, and it felt GREAT! :D
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday kids, I get so much energy reading all of your posts. Keep it coming. Quikdogs, thanks for the tips, I really appreciate them and plan to benefit from it. I lifted this morning and my face was more grueling than the last (lol). Have an awesome weekend kids.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "21 Day Fix Cardio Fix"=Done!
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Public Service Message from someone who’s been sick over a week with the the flu: get the flu shot. Really people, you don’t want this. I’m starting to feel better, fever is gone, still dizzy and weak and coughing. But I’m not sleeping 24/7 so I’ll take it.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I didnt do a WOD but decided to focus on strength and endurance instead.

921 calories in 91 munites.

Warm up:
    Skipping 1 minute x 5 alternating with
    Pushups 7-6-7-6-7
    Situps 7-6-7-6-2

Front squats:
    10 x 20kg
    10 x 20kg
    10 x 30kg
    10 x 35kg

Deadlifts:
    15 x 60kg
    8 x 80kg
    6 x 85 kg
    4 x 90kg
    2 x 95kg
    7 x 85kg

Push Press:
    10 x 30kg
    10 x 30kg
    10 x 30kg
    8 x 40kg

Pyramid Pyshups 15 x 2 sets

Bench Press superset with Hammer curls
    Bench:
    20 x 40kg
    18 x 45kg
    15 x 50kg
    25 x 30kg
    Curls:
    18 x 12kg x 3 sets

Bar Push down superset with Pushup Holds and Renegade Rows x 2 rounds:
    Push Down = 20 x 30kg
    Hold:= 20 seconds
    Rows = 16 (alternating)

Vertical Traction Machine: (Lat Pulldown)
    12 x 50kg
    10 x 60kg
    8 x 65kg
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "21 Day Fix Dirty 30 & Yoga Fix"=Done!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @gam3rguy That's some serious bling! Way to go!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hey Kids,

Welcome to the Noobs! Great to see lots of activity by the long time Cool Kids as well.

Congrats, @gam3rguy! First 13.1, correct? Well done. Any day you can score a Rocky medal is a good day.

My coach gave the OK to start easing back into the training flow this week. Enjoyed an easy 4 miles yesterday and a chilly 7 today. Tonight's recovery work will be Yoga. Looking forward to getting back to spin class and some strength training this coming week.

• SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My friend who's training me wanted me to run 1.5 miles as fast as I could today. The first mile was my fastest yet (12:22.. not so fast, but when I started 6 weeks ago, my average was 16:30). I lost it in the last half mile. I think tomorrow I'll have to trick myself into thinking of the 1.5 as a whole and keep my speed up. My legs feel ok after a mile, but my lungs aren't thrilled with the cold air (pretty warm today- low 40s).
  • Djproulx
    Options
    SusanDSME wrote: »
    My friend who's training me wanted me to run 1.5 miles as fast as I could today. The first mile was my fastest yet (12:22.. not so fast, but when I started 6 weeks ago, my average was 16:30). I lost it in the last half mile. I think tomorrow I'll have to trick myself into thinking of the 1.5 as a whole and keep my speed up. My legs feel ok after a mile, but my lungs aren't thrilled with the cold air (pretty warm today- low 40s).

@SusanDSME - Welcome! Nice to have another runner in the Cool Kids Club.

Training for a 5k is a lot of fun and you have lots of time to prepare for a Mother's Day race. As a new runner, are you following a training plan? Did your friend tell you why the 1.5 miles "as fast as you could" was suggested? As an old guy, I'm always worried about the risk of injury, particularly with speed work so early in the training.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx ... I'm not following an online training plan - I'm going by what my trainer friend is putting together. We started slow back in September with a lot of walk 1/4mi, run 1/4 intervals, gradually increasing distance. She had me sprint for the first time last week. I'm stretching a lot, and so far nothing has hurt. When she told me to run as fast as I could for 1.5 miles, she said she wanted to get a sense of my new baseline. I have no interest in getting hurt, and so far things seem to be going fine. It's my cold lungs that slow me down at this point.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    SusanDSME wrote: »
    @Djproulx ... I'm not following an online training plan - I'm going by what my trainer friend is putting together. We started slow back in September with a lot of walk 1/4mi, run 1/4 intervals, gradually increasing distance. She had me sprint for the first time last week. I'm stretching a lot, and so far nothing has hurt. When she told me to run as fast as I could for 1.5 miles, she said she wanted to get a sense of my new baseline. I have no interest in getting hurt, and so far things seem to be going fine. It's my cold lungs that slow me down at this point.

Its great that you're working with a trainer and building volume gradually. That's the key to long term success. Look forward to hearing about your progress and the race!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Build: Chest/Tris" & 21 Day Fix: Total Body Cardio Fix"=Done!