Gap between my legs

Options

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I feel like I see the thigh gap everywhere!
    Yes -- it's all over the disordered eating "thinspo" trash.

LOL- I mean on the street. Or in the subway...

You see it everywhere b/c you have it on your mind. Same way a woman that wants to get pregnant feels like she sees babies and pregnant women everywhere. There aren't actually more of them than there were before, she's just noticing them more b/c it's on her mind.
  • ThatsNotMine
    ThatsNotMine Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I feel like I see the thigh gap everywhere!
    Yes -- it's all over the disordered eating "thinspo" trash.

LOL- I mean on the street. Or in the subway...

You see it everywhere b/c you have it on your mind. Same way a woman that wants to get pregnant feels like she sees babies and pregnant women everywhere. There aren't actually more of them than there were before, she's just noticing them more b/c it's on her mind.

Maybe! I don't worry about my thighs too much though because I have an apple shaped body. I'm overweight for my size and my thighs don't touch.
    Also, Boston is a college town so I probably do see more than you guys...it seems like everyone here is 19 yrs old!
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    I will admit that as a woman I wish I had a gap between my thighs. It has been worse before but I wish I didn't have it. If I wear looser shorts when I jog they ride up my inner thigh and I am constantly pulling them down. I have to wear the snugger yoga style stuff so that I don't have that problem but I would rather wear shorts.
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Stand with your legs slightly further apart.

:flowerforyou:

Heee heee
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Been a guy for a long time, and have never called it anything, or even pointed it out. Nor have any of my buddies.

I have been as well, as long as I can remember actually. My point is not that everyone finds it an attractive quality, just that some folks do.

But do you automatically dismiss a woman who doesn't have it? Just assume I'm talking a woman who's in very good physical shape and very good-looking, but doesn't have the gap. Is that a deal-breaker? Or even if she's average-looking but attractive?

I notice it when I see it. I don't notice the absence of it, though.

My cashier at the grocery store had it, but she was super skinny and very straight up and down, small breasts, etc. It was her body shape. She looked very healthy and normal, but there's no diet or exercise in the world -- or even surgery -- that would give me a body like that because my bone structure is so different from hers.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    But do you automatically dismiss a woman who doesn't have it? Just assume I'm talking a woman who's in very good physical shape and very good-looking, but doesn't have the gap. Is that a deal-breaker? Or even if she's average-looking but attractive?

That's a decent point, but to be fair I never said anything along the lines of it being a deal-breaker. Few things are deal-breakers for me. I mean I prefer brunette's and am definitely an *kitten* man...my fiance is blonde with a lot up top and very little on bottom and I still find her absolutely gorgeous.

Do I think of this 'gap' as an attractive quality? Yes. Does it make someone who doesn't have it suddenly ugly or otherwise less of a person to me? Of course not. I don't think anyone striving for that feature should do anything unhealthy, but shooting for it isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

I'm half Samoan, which if you don't know makes for a pretty stocky build. Because of that (on top of the fact that it isn't easy in general) it can make it very difficult for my body type to achieve a 6-pack. Does that going to mean I'm going to stop trying for it? No. Should I fault women for finding that quality attractive in men just because I have the ability to do certain unhealthy things to reach that goal? Certainly not.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I once read that well toned legs should have 4 gaps. 1 just above the ankles, 1 just above the biggest part of the calf muscle, 1 just above the knee, and 1 between the crotch and where the thighs touch.

I don't think it's a standard that anyone should strive for, but I do think it's ONE way of evaluating your legs and muscle tone.

I see it in this pretty normal looking woman here, if she were to bring her knees together. She could stand to have a little more tone, but she looks healthy and fine. Perhaps I'm thinking of something quite different when someone mentions a "gap" between their thighs, but the image below is an example I can think of...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVoI3OUrxB6Awf7EokvD-XnKqiRnSmaNP8961UihLXimuCeROSkgMj2HEEIg
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options

Funny
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    There's about .5% of the population that has this. And most of them are models that are over 6 foot and weigh around 100 lbs. In other words, it's out of the ordinary. I don't think anyone focuses on that part of a person.

I wasn't even going to comment until I saw this, I thought the thread was funny, But I have a gap I'm only 5ft 5in and even when I 15lbs more I still had it I'm 139, it Genetic. Never really thought about it until now. Thanks you op for this thread!!
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Never had it, even when I was wearing a size 2 -- my hips are way to narrow and my thighs were too athletic. Just won't happen, never will and I'm ok with it!
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have tried so hard to get a gap between my legs, but i just can't do it :( I pretty sure im doing something wrong :(
    Anyone have a any tiips for me? or cn link me to any videos to help, please just help :(

- Thank you

i dont know about anyone else but i havent always had weight on me and even when i was slim i didnt have gap between my legs, i would love to have that but my body isnt shaped that way so dont be so hard on yourself, you might just be shaped differently, just concentrate on loosing the evtra weight and love your shape :)
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have heard that riding horses for long periods of time can create a gap between the thighs. I haven't tried it, though.
    Lmao...^^^
    But seriously don't worry about the gap even at my thinnest I didn't have the bow legged look, and I'm ok with that. :smile: My hips are not wide at all so that may be a factor... I'm totally going to try the horse and elephant thing.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is that yes, a lot about achieving the gap has to do with having wider hips, yet many people on mfp (and I suspect some who want the gap) make it seem like having wide hips are the worst thing the world.

Anyway, I agree that a lot is genetics. Once my thighs finally started slimming down, I noticed most of the fat falling off from my inner thighs and the least from the front and side thigh area. Even though I'm still in the obese bmi category, I'm very close to seeing a gap. It's not a goal of mine, though. I guess as long as it doesn't get too extreme with more weight loss, I'll be fine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That's a decent point, but to be fair I never said anything along the lines of it being a deal-breaker. Few things are deal-breakers for me. I mean I prefer brunette's and am definitely an *kitten* man...my fiance is blonde with a lot up top and very little on bottom and I still find her absolutely gorgeous.

Do I think of this 'gap' as an attractive quality? Yes. Does it make someone who doesn't have it suddenly ugly or otherwise less of a person to me? Of course not. I don't think anyone striving for that feature should do anything unhealthy, but shooting for it isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

I'm half Samoan, which if you don't know makes for a pretty stocky build. Because of that (on top of the fact that it isn't easy in general) it can make it very difficult for my body type to achieve a 6-pack. Does that going to mean I'm going to stop trying for it? No. Should I fault women for finding that quality attractive in men just because I have the ability to do certain unhealthy things to reach that goal? Certainly not.

I don't fault you at all for finding it attractive. You're attracted to what you're attracted to, and that isn't something I will judge. I just think that it's sad to push someone to do something that just plain may not be possible.

I think it's far more possible for you to achieve a 6-pack and still be healthy than for someone like me, with my body type, to strive for that gap. It just isn't how I'm built. I could be in perfect shape and wouldn't have it. And I'm OK with that. I guess what I'm saying is that people need to accept there are some things they can't change and be OK with their bodies.

Certainly, eat healthy, achieve a healthy weight, exercise and all of it. But don't beat yourself up when you can't change your bone structure, you know?

That photo of the woman in shorts doesn't show the thigh gap up top. She may have it, but I can't tell because of what she's wearing, so I don't think it's a very good example.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Why do you care if there is a "gap" between your legs? What does that mean to you? Does this gap give you more value and worth as a person?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! SAY THAT!
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have tried so hard to get a gap between my legs, but i just can't do it :( I pretty sure im doing something wrong :(
    Anyone have a any tiips for me? or cn link me to any videos to help, please just help :(

- Thank you

Two posts? This person seems to be trolling for nasty comments. Just saying
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Before I became pregnant I was 131lbs and 5'6'' with a 16% body fat percentage. I had no gap between my legs. I was still very fit and with great muscle percentages. I have a pear shape (31-24-38). My SHAPE does not allow me to have the gap. My personal fitness level was still high.

I'm not sure why the leg gap is the measure of fitness or attractiveness. You cannot spot reduce. Overall weight training and cardio conditioning is your best plan of action. Stick to it and your body will adjust/ modify itself accordingly. :)
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

okay, so right now i am 5'3 124 - no thigh gap, my sis 5'3, pretty sure she weighs the same or more- she has a thigh gap.
    i have been down to 105 lbs and i stilllll NEVER got the thigh gap that i longed for :( and i was UNDERWEIGHT! some people just aren't blessed with the thigh gap.. so yes... the secret is to stand with your legs farther apart, OR LIPO??? no? :'(
  • SamBuck123
    Options
    personal opinion....thigh gap is NOT CUTE.