Two Hundred Sit Up Challenge

Options

Replies

• yeahbuddy
    yeahbuddy Posts: 409
    Options
    I keep seeing (in relation to different exercises including crunches/sit-ups) the instruction to "isolate the abs" during the exercise:indifferent: What does that mean exactly? Johnblake? Anybody? Does that mean to tense those specific muscles - like "suck them in"?

Yeah, that's pretty much what it means. But, don't just suck them in, tighten them at the same time. You should feel like your middle is "scooped" out when you lie flat. Press your lower back to the floor and tighten, and don't forget to breath. Help me out, here, johnblake, as I could be wrong. But that's the way I do it.
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    I keep seeing (in relation to different exercises including crunches/sit-ups) the instruction to "isolate the abs" during the exercise:indifferent: What does that mean exactly? Johnblake? Anybody? Does that mean to tense those specific muscles - like "suck them in"?

Hmmmm, double post:embarassed:
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    I'm in =] This sounds like a cool challenge. I have no idea how many I can do so this will be a great test!

Hey, there. Thanks for joining. Now go do some crunches:flowerforyou:
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    no workout today sorry

I got hit by a truck..................................no not really I have a cold and it just hit me last night.

tomorrow 200 sit up sick or not. I'm here for you guy or really it seams mostly women here.

Yeah, well, hate to break it to ya jb, but I'm a woman, too:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: Looks like you're the lone wolf here:ohwell:
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    I'm gonna give this a shot! I did the initial test and for a brief moment was pleased to discover that I could do a whopping 32! Then I read on to find that my measly 32 left me in the poor category :cry: Oh well, that's why I'm here...to get healthy and better at the fitness stuff, right!?!

Good luck everyone...I'm feeling it after 32, I can't imagine what it'll feel like to do 200!

Yes, that's why we are all here, to get healthy. 32 isn't that bad, it just sounds bad when you put it next to 200:grumble:
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    hehe, I was so busy responding to everyone's posts I forgot to do my own:laugh:

I didn't do my situps yesterday so made up for it today.

Set 1 = 18
    Set 2 = 25
    Set 3 = 19
    Set 4 = 19
    Set 5 = 30 (minimum 25)
    ________
    111 (whoooo hoooo)
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    a full sit up works more muscle groups, upper and lower abs plus hip flex and you lower back.
    be careful first check with a DR do you have any lower back pain? or if it does start hurting stop and go back to crunchs.
    I posted some ideas of how to do a sit up.
    Wash board abs by April

Actually, I've had a lumbago, was stuck in bed for a few good days, couldn't walk straight, so yep, I think I'm gonna test myself with the sit-ups and then do the crunches only :wink: . I'll read your tips, thanks :flowerforyou: .
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    the best way to put it is, like doing a concentrated curl? if you know what the is....................I know it's for your arm but it still applies
    "Concentration Curl
    Sitting on the end of a bench, lean over and rest the working arm on the inside of the thigh. Attempt to demonstrate strict form throughout the whole movement. The abdominal muscles must always remain tight. Grasp a dumbell with your palm facing diagonally away from you. Now curl the dumbell toward the upper arm using only the biceps to facilitate this action. The elbow must remain in a fixed position throughout. Exhale during this upward phase and pause at the top of the movement before lowering the dumbell back to its start position. Inhale during this downward phase."

for you abs this would be more a long the lines of a crunch, where your abs stay tight, In a full sit up there are many other muscle groups, so you can't keep your abs tight the whole time.
    I'm not a big fan of crunches I feel there are lots of other exercises you can do to isolate the abs.
    after all that!!!! crunches are a good exercise I'm just not a big fan of them I'm to old school, I guess.
    Hope that helped
  • johnblake
    Options
    as promised 200 sit up

2 sets of 50
    5 sets of 20
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    No sit-ups today - worked a double-shift today, and hubz is having friends over tonight - can't bring myself to workout for an audience - especially since I've been eating Fiber One cereal for breakfast the last few days -- sit-ups have a way of 'relieving pressure', I've found, and I don't want to let one rip in front of a room full of guys! :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Will make up for it tomorrow after cardio. :wink:

Hope everyone's having a good week!:flowerforyou:

Manda
  • johnblake
    Options
    No sit-ups today - worked a double-shift today, and hubz is having friends over tonight - can't bring myself to workout for an audience - especially since I've been eating Fiber One cereal for breakfast the last few days -- sit-ups have a way of 'relieving pressure', I've found, and I don't want to let one rip in front of a room full of guys! :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Will make up for it tomorrow after cardio. :wink:

Hope everyone's having a good week!:flowerforyou:

Manda
    nothing like some home made music
  • Manda86
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I doubt they'd appreciate my symphony... lol... girls are supposed to be dainty (HA!), right?
  • johnblake
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I doubt they'd appreciate my symphony... lol... girls are supposed to be dainty (HA!), right?
    hay where I'm from the men are men and so are the women.
    you made the right choise,
    I clear the room when I start to play
  • Manda86
    Options

hay where I'm from the men are men and so are the women.
    you made the right choise,
    I clear the room when I start to play

LMBO - Thanks, I'm glad my restraint is appreciated! :bigsmile:

I credit 18 years of ingrained southern gentility.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Did two sets of 25 sit-ups yesterday.:drinker: I think I counted wrongly my first :grumble: (I reset the counter at some point, I think :angry: ), so I'll do my "test" tonight. And yeah, my lower back was hurting after the first 10 :ohwell: . So I guess I'll do crunches. :ohwell:

What is the break you people are taking between sets? I take it anything between 2 minutes and 6 hours :tongue: .
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    Did two sets of 25 sit-ups yesterday.:drinker: I think I counted wrongly my first :grumble: (I reset the counter at some point, I think :angry: ), so I'll do my "test" tonight. And yeah, my lower back was hurting after the first 10 :ohwell: . So I guess I'll do crunches. :ohwell:

What is the break you people are taking between sets? I take it anything between 2 minutes and 6 hours :tongue: .

Hey, there. Good job with what you did so far. As for the breaks in between, did you go to the challenge website? It explains it all there. It's at www.twohundredsitups.com.
  • johnblake
    Options

Hey, there. Good job with what you did so far. As for the breaks in between, did you go to the challenge website? It explains it all there. It's at www.twohundredsitups.com.
    that is cool I really dig the web page, did you put that together? I have my Navy pt test at the end of the month if I can putn out 200 sit ups in 2 mins at 41 years old that would be cool.
  • yeahbuddy
    Options

that is cool I really dig the web page, did you put that together? I have my Navy pt test at the end of the month if I can putn out 200 sit ups in 2 mins at 41 years old that would be cool.

Oh, heck no! I'm not that computer literate:laugh: I got it through the one hundred pushups thread (if you look at the situps webpage, there's a link to the pushups if you want to do those too.)
  • johnblake
    Options

Oh, heck no! I'm not that computer literate:laugh: I got it through the one hundred pushups thread (if you look at the situps webpage, there's a link to the pushups if you want to do those too.)
    I got a back sholder I can do 80 push ups but day after day starts to hurt.
  • nytoaz
    nytoaz Posts: 143
    Options
    Checking in.. Yesterday I completed week 3, day 2 :smile:
    set 1: 30
    set 2: 38
    set 3: 23
    set 4: 23
    set 5: 50 :happy: