What a Creep!

Options

Replies

• MooMooMoose
    MooMooMoose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, hes a creeper. However, you were running in PUBLIC. He was within his legal rights to take pictures, because you are in a public setting and have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Bottom line - You broke the law by taking his SD card. He was a creeper, but not doing anything illegal.

You want privacy while running? Buy a damn treadmill, and use it in your home.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    pedobear2.jpg
    Excellent application of Pedobear. :laugh:
  • MooMooMoose
    MooMooMoose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Gross!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The law can be a nebulous thing and there are definitely two sides to this issue. Nothing was stolen and because the man handed him the camera there was no assault….
    "I took the camera took out the SD memory card said thanks and ran away" That's theft.
    ...asked him if I could see the pictures he was like "oh yes they are good" I took the camera took out the SD memory card said thanks and ran away :)

The man handed him the camera to look at the pictures and the card is with the proper owner... Consent could be argued in that he didn't say where he wanted to look at the photos. The card and camera were returned.

Edit to add that I used the same quote as you did, just more of it.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    The law can be a nebulous thing and there are definitely two sides to this issue. Nothing was stolen and because the man handed him the camera there was no assault….
    "I took the camera took out the SD memory card said thanks and ran away" That's theft.
    ...asked him if I could see the pictures he was like "oh yes they are good" I took the camera took out the SD memory card said thanks and ran away :)
    The man handed him the camera to look at the pictures and the card is with the proper owner... Consent could be argued in that he didn't say where he wanted to look at the photos. The card and camera were returned.
    :huh:

That's quite the stretch. Returning the stolen item would not forgive the crime. Also, what of the pics the kid deleted?
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in photography so I listen to a lot of photography podcasts. A subject that comes up a lot is whether you're allowed to take photos of people in public. Most of the podcasts are from the U.S. so I can't take much from them (I live in Australia).

I *think* that if you are in public then you are allowed to be photographed but if the photographer wants to sell usage or rights of the photo then the people in the photo need to sign a release form that releases their copyright. See the people in the photo own copyright of the photo so they need to sign over the right before the photographer can profit from it.

Photos of children are actually a different law. Before you take photos of children their parents need to allow you to.

I could be misinterpreting everything (VERY LIKELY) but the point is that if you are in public you've "given up" your right to privacy in terms of your image.

That being said I hate how a lot of amateur photographers (and some pros too!) play the whole "just get away with it" mentality instead of trying to respect people.

EDIT: Yeah you shouldn't have taken the card. You should have demanded he delete the photos which I think you have the right to do.
  • mea9
    Options

That's quite the stretch.

I don't think so.
  • xflores3
    Options
    lol you're such a lying *****.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options

I don't think so.
    Nor do many defense lawyers, which is why they get such a bad rap.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    If you really feel the OP was within his legal limits, I sincerely hope you are never on a jury.
    Fortunately, the prosecution would instruct the jury as to what the law is, and he would certainly be found guilty.
    My understanding is that it's very hard to predict what a jury will do.
    Fair enough. The prosecution would lay out what the law is though.

actually...only the Judge explains the relevant law to the jury
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Wow this turned into a debate fast -_-. Point is, yep thats creepy! lol
  • mea9
    Options

I don't think so.
    Nor do many defense lawyers, which is why they get such a bad rap.
    Not more so than prosecuting lawyers:) I don't know what to tell you... There was no crime other than the original photos which, evidently, we need more information on.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I call BS too. I can do that; I'm on your friends' list. I had pics taken without my consent by some dirty ol' man while I was showering at the beach once. I was 16. Made me feel awesome, safe, respected. I think I would have broken his camera if I could have. And I totally would have been worried about whether I broke the law or not.
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    Am I the only one wondering if the OP looked on the SD car to see what else was on it??
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    That is weird...
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Hey, did you guys ever see 12 Angry Men? Good movie.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Am I the only one wondering if the OP looked on the SD car to see what else was on it??
    He said that it only had pics of him.
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    He said that it only had pics of him.

Damn, guess I should have read through everything.
    Thanks.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    LovetheClown.jpg
    Would THIS be the van?
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Lol!!! What's up with that ?? You must be a great runner !!!!