Is Shakeology overpriced?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - why had I not tagged this before?
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yes its WAY overpriced. I've had much better results with a meal replacement for half the price and contains almost the same ingredients. Plus the company is a lot older with better reputation.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options

You had been here one month when it started...or are you a serial-user-namer, too?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You had been here one month when it started...or are you a serial-user-namer, too?

lol - no, first incarnation (so far :wink: )
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I know many people who drink Shakeology and the ones who say they LOVE it are the coaches. Being a label reader, it is definitely a good product. I have tried it myself but wasn't extremely thrilled with the taste, so I chose to go a different route. But when it comes down the recession right now, COST is huge. If you aren't able to make if affordable to the public, than most people won't buy it. I have many ex Shakeology customers in my customer group and that was the main complaint, COST. That is why I am ecstatic that I have a 3 for free program, and even if they don't get it free, they save $$. $1.63, compared to $4.00 a meal...which would you choose? 100s of recipes. When you get results for your customers and saving them $, there is no greater feeling!! BB is a great company for workouts, but again $$ is the bottom line for most.

Wow, only a few post in and you are already promoting your Body By Vi gimmick. And in a Shakeology thread to boot!! How ironic!!

It's serious business!

ABC - always be closing!

You just want to promote your own one - tasology isn't it? Specifically designed not to make women bulky!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if shakeology somehow (psychologically and with its protein) helps you achieve your goals, then it is worth every penny
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    if shakeology somehow (psychologically and with its protein) helps you achieve your goals, then it is worth every penny

Yes.

However if another product gives you the same or better results at a lower cost, then it is also worth every penny, and you also have leftover money that you can spend on other things.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Yes.

However if another product gives you the same or better results at a lower cost, then it is also worth every penny, and you also have leftover money that you can spend on other things.

Logic. Gotta love it.

(Bump)
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Yes.

also true.

but the way the devotees of shakeology seem so adamant that their shakeology is the only reason for their success, I say let them have it and think it.

for those that have not bought into the marketing, we know that shakeology is but another supplement and there is nothing magical about it

I would prefer that they educate themselves and save their money, but ............oh well
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Body by V is also overpriced and it contains maltodextrin. Please read the ingredients list before you buy any of that crap. Just my 2 cents.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Body by V is also overpriced and it contains maltodextrin. Please read the ingredients list before you buy any of that crap. Just my 2 cents.

also, body by v is soy based. for me, I pass on soy
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Maltodextrin is just a corn or wheat starch.

I don't promote use of Shakeology or BBV; they're both overpriced, but to say that someone shouldn't use something because it has maltodextrin is really picking on the smallest possible thing.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

I don't promote use of Shakeology or BBV; they're both overpriced, but to say that someone shouldn't use something because it has maltodextrin is really picking on the smallest possible thing.

I would suggest you do some research on the health effects of maltodextrin and then we can talk. And yes it's derived from corn, so is high fructose corn syrup as well as cheap dog food.,
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

I would suggest you do some research on the health effects of maltodextrin and then we can talk. And yes it's derived from corn, so is high fructose corn syrup as well as cheap dog food.,

Here is a study from the National Institutes of Health citing the role of maltodextrin in mineral absorption in the body. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19937042

As any athlete knows, it is an easily absorbable form of energy as well, but here is a study from the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition on the biochemical markers of athletes ingesting maltodextrin as opposed to a placebo during competition: http://www.jissn.com/content/3/2/6

Of course, if someone is sensitive to maltodexrin, that is a different matter and could cause negative effects as an allergen.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    That's fine if you believe it's safe and healthy I'm not opposed to anyone consuming the products. I took shakeology for 2 months after being on an extremely healthy raw vegan diet and I gained weight + lost energy and motivation. I did further research on the product and came to the conclusion that the maltodextrin or the weigh protein caused the problem. Bottom line the ingredients don't meet my standards due to few of the ingredients and pasteurization. But yes I would tell someone to substitute mc donalds with shakeology or body by v anytime if it was the only options.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That's fine if you believe it's safe and healthy I'm not opposed to anyone consuming the products. I took shakeology for 2 months after being on an extremely healthy raw vegan diet and I gained weight + lost energy and motivation. I did further research on the product and came to the conclusion that the maltodextrin or the weigh protein caused the problem. Bottom line the ingredients don't meet my standards due to few of the ingredients and pasteurization. But yes I would tell someone to substitute mc donalds with shakeology or body by v anytime if it was the only options.

Everyone is different. I've gained energy from shakeology and I haven't gained any weight from it. I imagine after being on an "extremely healthy" raw vegan diet you'd gain weight eating or drinking anything that wasnt a part of your earlier diet.
  • marituck
    Options
    If you google Dr. oz 3 day detox cleanse, you can make your own smoothies with nutritious food.

I have to drink 3 a day, not 4, because 3 a day is about 1200 calories, which is my limit at 5'4".
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    The meal replacement shakes I would recommend that are cheaper and healthier are Nature's Harvest by Nature's Sunshine and Raw Meal by Garden of Life. Nature's Harvest is what I've been taking and my results have been great. Its vegan and its raw. Raw meal is also incredibly healthy but I've read reviews about how bad the taste is and that's why I went with Nature's Harvest.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    The meal replacement shakes I would recommend that are cheaper and healthier are Nature's Harvest by Nature's Sunshine and Raw Meal by Garden of Life. Nature's Harvest is what I've been taking and my results have been great. Its vegan and its raw. Raw meal is also incredibly healthy but I've read reviews about how bad the taste is and that's why I went with Nature's Harvest.

I do agree on the taste. I couldn't stomach it; it was literally like drinking sawdust with wheat germ in it.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

I do agree on the taste. I couldn't stomach it; it was literally like drinking sawdust with wheat germ in it.

Were you able to finish the 30 day supply? I suppose you felt really good afterwards from the ingredients it contains.