Is Shakeology overpriced?

Options

Replies

• kiskankey
    kiskankey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to quote but I wanted to point out another individuals comment that said BB coaches DO have to go through training to be a coach. Maybe that person went through training, but I have been a BB coach for two years and have not gone through any training at all. I mean the site has links to personally train yourself but "ain't nobody got time for dat!" So yeah...no training here. Just like many of my fellow coaches. I don't sell it because I feel SO UNCOMFORTABLE trying to talk people into buying it. I actually just canceled my home direct order of shakeology because for two bags a month (for my husband and I) is the same as our car payment for out new classic Mustang we just purchased. Umm...I would rather have the car, lol!! I wish it were different. I really wish it was more affordable like many others who have commented on this page. I am still going to continue to have a shake for breakfast. I'll just be using natural ingredients like skim milk, banana, peanut butter and probably greek yogurt for protein. Hopefully it will curb my cravings and keep me full as Shakeology does. We'll see :) Thanks to the OP for posting such informative info and good luck everyone in your fitness endeavors :)
  • akdre
    akdre Posts: 1
    Options
    The meal replacement shakes I would recommend that are cheaper and healthier are Nature's Harvest by Nature's Sunshine and Raw Meal by Garden of Life. Nature's Harvest is what I've been taking and my results have been great. Its vegan and its raw. Raw meal is also incredibly healthy but I've read reviews about how bad the taste is and that's why I went with Nature's Harvest.

I do agree on the taste. I couldn't stomach it; it was literally like drinking sawdust with wheat germ in it.

Were you able to finish the 30 day supply? I suppose you felt really good afterwards from the ingredients it contains.

I have been drinking Garden of Life's Raw Meal in Chocolate for almost 3 weeks (I only use half a serving, 1 scoop). It is good when I blend it at home, 16oz unsweetened coconut almond milk and 1 banana, but when I drink it at work with 16oz water in a blender bottle, I almost ralph. Mixing it with skim milk helps, but it is still gross. Sort of like a chocolate and grass clippings blend.
    I use it to replace lunch at my job and it keeps me full for about 5 hours, but when I leave work, I am STARVING.
    Since starting it, I have lost about 9lbs just by replacing one meal with the shake and trying to eat healthier all around. Now I just want to maintain my current weight, so when the tub of Raw Meal is finished, I don't know if I'll buy another. But it does seem to help crub the junk food cravings and I love the nutrition profile on it. So maybe I'll get another container just for shakes at home, but no more blender bottle+water! BLEH :sick:
  • MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • keithbarber501
    Options
    I use MRM protein + Green Superfood (both Chocolate) + Stevia (liquid) and it tastes great.

Total Cals & Carbs:

Cals: 115
    Net Carbs: 3.5 (great if you are watching carbs)

Both can found online pretty cheap. Google them there are various places to buy them Inexpensively.

I buy them locally at Sprouts. A few bucks more but it's easy and reasonably priced.

It's about $2 a serving. I can't stomach paying twice that for shakology. Plus I usually have 2+ servings a day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Moving this up.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    no the price is just right. the purpose of the product is to make as much money for the company as possible. it is priced to achieve this ...no doubt using clever mathematical models. did you mean is it worth the money ? I would say no. you can get most of the stuff I e. protien powder and vits are far cheaper
  • PLoveElliott
    PLoveElliott Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Great information! Thank you.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Always wanted to try shakeology but the price just kept me away. I make my own green smoothies in my vitamix... this mornings looked something like this...

2 cups coconut water, 1 banana, 1 cup pineapple, 1 cup frozen spinach, 2 raw eggs, 1 oz goji berries, 2 tbsp great lakes gelatin and 2 tbsp sunflower seeds.

Tastes great, full of nutrients and very filling.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you google Dr. oz 3 day detox cleanse,

LA LA LA LA LA NOT LISTENING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I don't do meal replacement shakes, but in my work as a social media consultant, I worked for one of Beachbody's top coaches for about a month and a half. She hired me for approximately $3500 worth of work as a six-month retainer maintaining her idiotic cult-like money-obsessed Facebook page where she regularly posts gleeful gloating videos about how she makes more money than your average brain surgeon. I got the first month's retainer and, as promised, set up the social media strategy for her Facebook page as well as redesigned her header image, etc.

Once she and her husband had the results of my research and efforts, she immediately removed me as an admin from her FB page, stopped replying to my emails, has made no further payments despite her continuing to use the strategy that I developed because she contractually agreed to pay me an additional $3000 to implement for her. My conclusion: Beachbody can't be going too well if she's one of the top coaches and she has to rip off a single mother for $3000.

In the six weeks I worked for this person, I saw hundreds of desperate people hoping that they could make some money - any money - off this program and humbly asking over and over why they weren't - then being told to purchase something else to help with their "business" and told they'd receive more "coaching" and that they weren't persevering enough.

It's pretty gross. When I become certified as a personal trainer and nutritionist early next year, I will relentlessly advise my clients away from their products.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I don't do meal replacement shakes, but in my work as a social media consultant, I worked for one of Beachbody's top coaches for about a month and a half. She hired me for approximately $3500 worth of work as a six-month retainer maintaining her idiotic cult-like money-obsessed Facebook page where she regularly posts gleeful gloating videos about how she makes more money than your average brain surgeon. I got the first month's retainer and, as promised, set up the social media strategy for her Facebook page as well as redesigned her header image, etc.

Once she and her husband had the results of my research and efforts, she immediately removed me as an admin from her FB page, stopped replying to my emails, has made no further payments despite her continuing to use the strategy that I developed because she contractually agreed to pay me an additional $3000 to implement for her. My conclusion: Beachbody can't be going too well if she's one of the top coaches and she has to rip off a single mother for $3000.

In the six weeks I worked for this person, I saw hundreds of desperate people hoping that they could make some money - any money - off this program and humbly asking over and over why they weren't - then being told to purchase something else to help with their "business" and told they'd receive more "coaching" and that they weren't persevering enough.

It's pretty gross. When I become certified as a personal trainer and nutritionist early next year, I will relentlessly advise my clients away from their products.
    Ya, I've always found MLM products to be exceedingly unscrupulous. Another anecdote;
    I remember a vice principal in high school (a looong time ago) who expelled a few students but when he called them into his office to give them the news, he said, "It's not all bad, I have a job for you! Selling Amway".
    I believe he was forced into early retirement. But that was okay, he could sell Amway. :)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Bump. To be in the loop.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You pissed off about a thousand BB coaches just now... awesome!:drinker:
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

What does Ortho core + Green Vibrance + protein powder TASTE like?

Have you tried the combo yourself to see if it's palatable? I don't want to buy it all and then think it's yucky, lol. Would it be OK with chocolate protein powder + peanut butter (which I love the taste of, but can't stand most choco-PB protein powders, lol)? Or would the taste be more comparable to the Greenberry Shakeology which, IMHO tastes like crap?

I don't do Ortho core....but Green Vibrance + MRM Whey +whole raw milk (2oz)+ organic OJ (2oz)+ Water (2 oz) =300 calories, 32 gm protein. I think it tastes like a healthy green version of orange julius!!! (Good) Green vibrance alone tastes green like wheatjuice--but with fiber. I always mix a bit of citrus juice with it....takes care of the green taste! And I buy my green vibrance on-line for just over $50....I did a comparison a few years back of all the super greens...this one ranked best for content, price and no proprietary blends!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    OOOOO old post I wanna comment I wanna comment...

How can it be cheaper than a roasted chicken breast with olive oil?
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I know many people who drink Shakeology and the ones who say they LOVE it are the coaches. Being a label reader, it is definitely a good product. I have tried it myself but wasn't extremely thrilled with the taste, so I chose to go a different route. But when it comes down the recession right now, COST is huge. If you aren't able to make if affordable to the public, than most people won't buy it. I have many ex Shakeology customers in my customer group and that was the main complaint, COST. That is why I am ecstatic that I have a 3 for free program, and even if they don't get it free, they save $$. $1.63, compared to $4.00 a meal...which would you choose? 100s of recipes. When you get results for your customers and saving them $, there is no greater feeling!! BB is a great company for workouts, but again $$ is the bottom line for most.

If you are a label reader as you say, what did you think of the abundant use of prop blends in shakeology?

I think one of the issues is that people don't understand what a proprietary blend is. It is, by definition, blends of certain ingredients--which must be divulged....but the amount of the ingredient does not. For example if you have a prop. blend that has 1000 mg of lets say 10 ingredients--you don't know how much of each ingredient is actually represented, and if it is at an efficacious amount (high enough amount to be beneficial). I am not a fan of this! However--if you do go with a product with a prop blend, and it has a high mg amount with only a handful of ingredients...it is more likely to have efficacious doses of those ingredients!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    can I take some protein powder and label it "Nickology" and sell it for 39.99 a container...

shakeology is overpriced garbage in my opinion...
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I think it is overpriced. I can't believe I was suckered into buying it once. I still have half a bag of the chocolate. I hated the taste and I didn't find it any more filling than a traditional protein shake. To me it is just not logical to add 120 dollars to my monthly food budget when that could be spent on lean meats and veggies
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    can I take some protein powder and label it "Nickology" and sell it for 39.99 a container...

shakeology is overpriced garbage in my opinion...

But Nickology provides the 15 essential microbiota that has been proven by many scientific researchers to help rev up your metabolism, increase your muscle mass, and improve your pheromon displacement to the opposite sex.

If you want be that drop dead gorgeous vixen that men cant help but want to propose to, or that Adanois that women drop their panties for then take Nickology!

Fast results or your money back!

Ingredients:
    Milk powder
    Secret proprietary blend of essential microbiota, metabolism increasing herbs, and vitamins (will just sprinkle in some paprika)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Nickology

Slothology. I just need someone to photoshop a Shakeology glass in my sloth pic's hands... and a catchy slogan.

49454167_5267.jpg
    Slothology.... all the nutrients a sloth needs, in one glass. Made with real buds, shoots and leaves....
    Slothology. Eat like a SLOTH !