Negative Reinforcement (Don't Read If You Cant Take It)

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    While I think negative reinforcement and tough love can definitely motivate some people, it can also be counterproductive to others. Use it on yourself if it works, and use it on others who are okay with it, but please don't assume that everyone will respond the same way to these tools.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Yup. That's me too. I am a out-of-shape, fat old man. No mystery how I got here. I ate badly and sat on my butt for years and years. No magic to changing it either. Eat right and exercise. Plain, simple and accurate.

I said something to that effect among a group of friends and one of them (an overweight woman) didn't like it but couldn't argue with me because I had said it about myself.
    Oh exactly the same here, someone asked me the other day how I lost weight and I told them I finally realised it was time to get up off my fat *kitten* and get some exercise and also to grow up and stop eating and drinking every nice thing that I WANTED all the time, like a four year old let loose in a sweet shop, and start eating and drinking what I SHOULD have most of the time instead.

She looked at me as if I'd slapped her.

Oops. :ohwell:

I honestly was talking about myself, but if the cap fits...
  • H_Lilly
    Options
    I hate the word fat just call me unpleasantly plump. I've got 20 to lose and I will do it by the end of April. Just started running again--What a BIT##. Love this topic.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I am fat. Fatty McFatso. That's why i'm here. To change that!

Hi Fatty McFatso! My name is Flabby McFlabberson. Nice to meet you! :laugh:

HI, you two! Pleasure to meet you as well! Fattie Bo Battie here :laugh: :laugh:

Not for long....
    Pleased to meet you all, I'm Slimwaist McWobblyArse! :bigsmile:

(who is off to the gym soon to keep working on it)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm fat.

Yeah it hurts when people point it out but it's not much different to me saying "hey, you've got blue eyes".
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    64-youre-fat-dont-try-and-sugar-coat-it-because-youll-eat-that-too.jpg
  • victoria233
    Options
    I am fat. Fatty McFatso. That's why i'm here. To change that!

Hi Fatty McFatso! My name is Flabby McFlabberson. Nice to meet you! :laugh:

HI, you two! Pleasure to meet you as well! Fattie Bo Battie here :laugh: :laugh:

Not for long....

my long lost friends! im back fat betty aka tina the talking tummy aka sally cellulite! :P
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yup! I am FAT too.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm fat. Wait, said that wrong. Yep, I'm FAT. lol

I would much rather be fat then be called obese. I don't know why but obese bothers me. I know I am obese, I know I am fat but I will not always be fat. I am not going to let the FAT win, I will win!
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ok, I THOUGHT I could take it, but lets be real here,I have abs (well a one pack) but, I personally have muscles, lots of them.. I mean atleast 10 pounds worth, who cares if you have to dig 3 inces deep through FAT to feel them, they're there damn it, and thats what matters..

Whew, who am I kidding...FAAAAT..
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat, but I've recently started making an effort to stop arguing with my overweight friends when they call themselves fat, even though it takes a lot of willpower to do so. Why? Because I've recently realized that when we tell our loved ones "you're not fat," what we're really trying to say is, "you're not ugly, unattractive, unlovable, disgusting, or any other negative word our society intrinsically associates with the word 'fat'." My friends can be attractive, sexy, loveable people and also fat. Who am I to argue?
  • AnitraWill
    Options
    Yep I'm Fat! And I'm sick of it! I'm conscious and no longer in denial! That alone feels good! Admitedly, I need some kind of motivation whether it's negative or positive.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    In my case, morbidly obese is the correct term.... extremely fat in laymans terms...
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i DUNNO. THE REALIZATION THAT i'M MEDICALLY OBESE WAS QUITE A SHOCK.... MUCH MORE POWERFUL THAN FAT
  • MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i DUNNO. THE REALIZATION THAT i'M MEDICALLY OBESE WAS QUITE A SHOCK.... MUCH MORE POWERFUL THAN FAT
    ^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm fat. And I know exactly how I got here. Late night junk food, no exercise, and 4 Dr. Peppers a day.

I'm still fat, but I'm working to not be fat anymore :)
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed when I am talk about/ mention something about being F-A-T and whoever I'm talking to says "Oh shut, up. You're not fat" (or something to that end). Yes, I am. I'm fat, not delusional.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed when I am talk about/ mention something about being F-A-T and whoever I'm talking to says "Oh shut, up. You're not fat" (or something to that end). Yes, I am. I'm fat, not delusional.

I totally agree! Hello Not blind here...people need to stop lying to themselves and other...Im FAT and I HATE it... so im doing something about it! :) (I love this by the way!)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Ok. I disagree (there has to be one, lol)

(Here comes the geek) We are not fat. Fat is the substance that causes us to be Overweight or Obese,

I have never heard any medical expert call me fat,,,, obese yes, fat never,

Fat is the substance that we are trying to get rid of to not be overweight,

Adipose tissue is more of a "geeked" term. And technically you dont get "rid" of it, you use the solidified energy stored in those cells and shrink them.

I'm rather less adiposaic than I was in September. :-P
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Ok. I disagree (there has to be one, lol)

(Here comes the geek) We are not fat. Fat is the substance that causes us to be Overweight or Obese,

I have never heard any medical expert call me fat,,,, obese yes, fat never,

Fat is the substance that we are trying to get rid of to not be overweight,

Geek no.2 here. Its not negative reinforcement either, unless you have someone shouting "Fat Fat Fat!" at you in the canteen until you choose the salad option :tongue: Now there's an idea...! :laugh:

I do understand what you mean though. Facing up to what you are right now, and loving yourself regardless is the best thing to start a weight loss journey with :smile: