Girls... Is muscle a turn off?

Options

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I think there's one thing the women here don't understand.

The "bodybuilder look" that you see on stage at a bodybuilding competition is not what they guy looks like every day. You have to go on a relatively extreme diet to achieve that look (5% bodyfat), and it's only possible to hold that condition for about a day.

What these bodybuilders walk around looking like for most of the year is probably about what most women that like some muscle would consider ideal.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I like a well built man. Not one that has massive muscles, but cut up definitely!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I think there's one thing the women here don't understand.

The "bodybuilder look" that you see on stage at a bodybuilding competition is not what they guy looks like every day. You have to go on a relatively extreme diet to achieve that look (5% bodyfat), and it's only possible to hold that condition for about a day.

What these bodybuilders walk around looking like for most of the year is probably about what most women that like some muscle would consider ideal.

I have a friend who does competitions. He looks like large but not like crazy huge man most of the time. Prior to doing his shows, he eats cans of tuna and green beans all day. He is huge looking and I am fairly sure, dehydrated at the time of the show.

But normally he looks fine.
  • peachy782
    Options
    Nicely toned is good... David Beckham is a very good example, but too much muscle is a turn off....
    But again its different strokes for different folks !!
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those girls who doesn't like washboard abs on a guy. I'm not sure why. I like a guy who has some meat on his stomach.

This build to me, is perfect and I don't think he's got ripped abs but I love his body.

mm.jpg

Def agree with this body! Matthew rocks!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those girls who doesn't like washboard abs on a guy. I'm not sure why. I like a guy who has some meat on his stomach.

This build to me, is perfect and I don't think he's got ripped abs but I love his body.

mm.jpg

:heart:
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    we already talked about this but yes i looove a guy with muscle. My boyfriend has muscles and it's very attractive. Huuuge arm muscles, but not so ripped abs like you can put your arm in between each ab their so defined. Just some definition, and those V lines! And a muscular back ahhhh
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Nicely toned is good... David Beckham is a very good example, but too much muscle is a turn off....
    But again its different strokes for different folks !!

David Beckham is getting better with age! He looks amazing in his new pics...and can't forget the Emporio Armani adverts!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    navarro.jpg

:love:
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I find a slim or muscular build equally attractive and my preferred look in a man over average or heavyset. I know women who aren't as attracted to a super ripped look, but most I know likes moderate muscles or at least a faint 6 pack.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Well defined muscles are definitely a turn on. A man should have some tone and something told hold onto. Being built like Jay Cutler or Mark Alvisi is not a turn on. That is grotesque in my eyes.

One concern I have is the idea that guys should shave/wax their chests to show off the muscles. You are men...men have hair on their bodies...look manly
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I like a guy with a little more weight on him, I like healthy because I think it helps keep me motivated to work, but I am not a fan of very defined muscles. My mind may change as I get healthier and see myself as more worthy of a more athletic guy. I would define what I find most attractive is more of a computer nerd/book nerd stocky.
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    OMG my husband has the most awesome arms and shoulders. Not too much, just enough to know i'm safe in his arms. *romantic cornball here for sure!!!*:laugh:
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all of the replies, but to be honest, I think a lot of women who don't want a muscular man are either turned off by it for whatever reason (as in, they don't find that look to be attractive, and that's okay, everyone is different), or they themselves are not in shape, and feel threatened by it. A lot of my female friends who say "ewww muscles!" aren't in great shape themselves, and willingly admit that they feel threatened by that, because "he looks way too good to be with me." Which is just their own insecurities talking. I know when I was younger, I dated a lot of guys who were twigs or really fat...not a single one of them was "In shape." Yet when I started caring more about my own health, I gravitated more towards guys who were in better shape, or at least aspiring to be in better shape.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Most people don't believe me when I say this but I'm really not a fan of six packs. Or a lot of muscle definition in general. I prefer if the skin looks smooth rather than rippled.

AGREE!
    I find there something aesthetically weird about overly defined muscles. I like guys that look NATURAL. Yeah, like hairy chest, normal looking abs.
    I think it's because in high school all the muscular guys were douches so I developed an extreme distaste for muscles.

Maybe also because society tries so hard to make us want either the skinny girl with a gigantic rack, or the guy with a six pack and a "V" around his hips (whatever that is; what a totally random and unimportant marker of attractiveness!) something inside me rebels against that. I think people look best with some imperfections, and I think that models and people on magazine covers look too fake to be attractive.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I like big strong looking guys. The kind of guy that looks like he can take someone down. If there is some well defined muscle there that is perfect. My DH is a big boy with a belly but he has the best arms. Still looks strong despite the fact that he could lose a few lbs.

I think all girls are turned on by muscle though just not the rippling veins, "I lift things up and put them down" kind.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    This is hot....

5yz3tf.jpg

This is not....

9suhig.jpg

I agree with this.....the top one is nice and muscular but still a normal size to me...the other guy is way too huge, granted his results are amazing.

I will add though that just because someone is a body building doesn't mean I couldn't fall for one. At the end of the day you better make me laugh and you better enjoy/good at kissing :)
  • SandraD89
    SandraD89 Posts: 809
    Options
    I dont like guys who are body buliders, but i do like muscles. A nice six pack goes a long way. also has to have some good arm muscles. lol
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    This is amazing.

joe-manganiello-us-weekly-7-julio-del-2010-L-1.jpg
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't like buys who are too built. My husband is tall and lanky, in good shape, with descent muscle tone (nice arms/shoulders, visible abs but not a "cut" six pack), but doesn't look like a gym monkey. His body is not the reason I married him, but I have always liked that body type.