when DID this becomer more attractive?!?! (pic.....i hope)

Options

Replies

• ActorGirl1476
    ActorGirl1476 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    it actually amazes me how some people just get on here to start a fight. I dont imagine that the person who started this thread meant to "bash people with eating disorders" or any of the other things that were so rudely stated in the replies.

The fact is, that we live in a world where girls (especially those of us in the entertainment industry) are pressured to look like we weigh almost nothing. The picture is not talking about how disgusting anyone is, it is pointing out the difference between what we as a culture find attractive. And it cannot be denied that our culture pushes for this. If someone like Jessica Simpson or Brittany Spears puts on an ounce of weight every tabloid reports how FAT they are, when they are probably still at a healthy weight if not under. To me, at least, the picture is a commentary on society as a whole. It is not intended to pick on people with eating disorders and the original poster even said "I am aware that we all have different body types". She didn't say, nor did the picture, that these women are grotesque monsters who should be ashamed.

Yes, sexy is objective. Everyone finds something different sexy. Some people like HUGE women, some people like SMALL women. It doesn't mean anyone is BAD. It DOES however mean that as a whole, our country (America is where the is the biggest issue--not to dismiss other countries) has a fixation with weight that IS unhealthy. Do you think its a mere coincidence that a majority is either under weight or over weight? Do you think its a coincidence that you can grab almost any magazine and see what the media as a whole considers "sexy" that's the point of this post. I really can't understand how some people just get so angry without looking at the meaning behind things or considering that something was not posted to personally insult them.

*edit* I want to add that I just read someones post where people are referring to the skinny girls as disgusting... and yes, this is JUST as harmful as someone referring to a fat girl as disgusting. And I just want to state that I do not think there is any productivity in bashing anyone else regardless of their size and I stick by my original post (a few above this) where I said we should all strive to be correct for our body type.
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Somebody give that top row a biscuit or 4.
  • nilesbollinger
    nilesbollinger Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love curves... fit is one thing, gaunt is NOT attractive.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Most of the "old" starts you listed are between 5'4-5'8, they look proportionate to their measurements. The second list is woman who are 5'9-5'11, thats the difference.
    Rita Hayworth || 36.5C - 24 - 36
    Sophia Loren || 38C - 24 - 38
    Betty Grable || 36 - 24 - 35
    Vivien Leigh || 32A - 23 - 33
    Audrey Hepburn || 34A - 20 - 34
    Marilyn Monroe || 36 - 23 - 37
    Veronica Lake || 34 - 21 - 33
    Ava Gardner || 36 -23 -37
    Brigitte Bardot || 35.5 - 19 - 35
    Elizabeth Taylor || 36C - 21 - 36

Heidi Montag || 34-26-34
    Kirsten Dunst || 36C-24-35
    Keira Knightley || 32A-22-33
    Jennifer Love Hewitt || 34-26-36
    Nicole Fox || 31-23-35
    Gisele Bündchen || 35-23-35

See how similar they are. You people are looking at the pictures but they are all the same size. Not much has changed!!!! Besides perception. In fact Brigitte Bardot puts to shame in the skinny department a lot of the a-listers today in waist size..

Ummm no.... actually you are wrong.
  • IronmanPanda
    Options
    Somebody give that top row a biscuit or 4.

Wow...
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I prefer the ladies from below.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's really unfair to bash women or incinuate that they are somehow less of a "woman" because they are naturally thin or work hard to maintain themselves at a smaller size. Sure, the women on the bottom row of that picture are beautiful, but the top pics are really unflattering, and all the women on the top are very pretty too.
  • IronmanPanda
    Options
    Most of the "old" starts you listed are between 5'4-5'8, they look proportionate to their measurements. The second list is woman who are 5'9-5'11, thats the difference.

Heidi Montag || 34-26-34
    Nicole Fox || 31-23-35

See how similar they are. You people are looking at the pictures but they are all the same size. Not much has changed!!!! Besides perception. In fact Brigitte Bardot puts to shame in the skinny department a lot of the a-listers today in waist size..

Kirsten Dunst is 5'5
    Heidi Montag is 5'3
    Gisele Bündchen 5'8
    Jennifer Love Hewitt 5'2

So that takes the height comment right out.
    stop trying to make excuse to justify the hypocrisy that is running rampent in this thread

yeah I couldnt stay away:laugh:

It amazes me the amount of people that can't read the above...
  • Nicolette1960
    Options
    Wow, have never thought about it from the slim perspective. Have to open my mind to that..thanks!!:bigsmile:
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Marilyn!
  • ActorGirl1476
    Options
    I :heart: Marilyn!
    me tooo!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    it actually amazes me how some people just get on here to start a fight. I dont imagine that the person who started this thread meant to "bash people with eating disorders" or any of the other things that were so rudely stated in the replies.

The fact is, that we live in a world where girls (especially those of us in the entertainment industry) are pressured to look like we weigh almost nothing. The picture is not talking about how disgusting anyone is, it is pointing out the difference between what we as a culture find attractive. And it cannot be denied that our culture pushes for this. If someone like Jessica Simpson or Brittany Spears puts on an ounce of weight every tabloid reports how FAT they are, when they are probably still at a healthy weight if not under. To me, at least, the picture is a commentary on society as a whole. It is not intended to pick on people with eating disorders and the original poster even said "I am aware that we all have different body types". She didn't say, nor did the picture, that these women are grotesque monsters who should be ashamed.

Yes, sexy is objective. Everyone finds something different sexy. Some people like HUGE women, some people like SMALL women. It doesn't mean anyone is BAD. It DOES however mean that as a whole, our country (America is where the is the biggest issue--not to dismiss other countries) has a fixation with weight that IS unhealthy. Do you think its a mere coincidence that a majority is either under weight or over weight? Do you think its a coincidence that you can grab almost any magazine and see what the media as a whole considers "sexy" that's the point of this post. I really can't understand how some people just get so angry without looking at the meaning behind things or considering that something was not posted to personally insult them.

*edit* I want to add that I just read someones post where people are referring to the skinny girls as disgusting... and yes, this is JUST as harmful as someone referring to a fat girl as disgusting. And I just want to state that I do not think there is any productivity in bashing anyone else regardless of their size and I stick by my original post (a few above this) where I said we should all strive to be correct for our body type.

And the tabloids are just as quick to point out when someone loses weight as well. I dont see Christian hendricks,Sofia veraga, Beyonce, J Lo, getting media pressure to be thinner they are in fact considered some of the most beautifull women today
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Keira Knightly looks disgusting...just a lil more meat and she would look better.
    I understand people are naturally thin, I have sister who is smaller than double 0, and nothing wrong with that. But there is definitely something wrong if you're starving/exercising yourself to the point where you can see more bones than meat. Meat is good, it protects you from great injuries, you can be thin and beautiful without looking like a helpess skeleton.

Disgusting? Really? Looks fine to me - very shapely. Everyone has a bad candid pic or two.

Err the pics are too big! :(

Keira-Knightley-018.jpg

Keira-Knightley-keira-knightley-4104651-1024-768.jpg
  • Most of the "old" starts you listed are between 5'4-5'8, they look proportionate to their measurements. The second list is woman who are 5'9-5'11, thats the difference.

Heidi Montag || 34-26-34
    Nicole Fox || 31-23-35

Kirsten Dunst is 5'5
    Heidi Montag is 5'3
    Gisele Bündchen 5'8
    Jennifer Love Hewitt 5'2

So that takes the height comment right out.
    stop trying to make excuse to justify the hypocrisy that is running rampent in this thread

yeah I couldnt stay away:laugh:

It amazes me the amount of people that can't read the above...

Maybe if we quote this enough, people on this thread will take a hint.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    You know what would solve this problem compleatly? If everyone stopped being such sheep and trying to live up to other peoples standards
  • IronmanPanda
    Options
    Keira Knightly looks disgusting...just a lil more meat and she would look better.
    I understand people are naturally thin, I have sister who is smaller than double 0, and nothing wrong with that. But there is definitely something wrong if you're starving/exercising yourself to the point where you can see more bones than meat. Meat is good, it protects you from great injuries, you can be thin and beautiful without looking like a helpess skeleton.

If she's kept her fitness and training up from when she shot King Arthur, I can bet she could probably kick your butt. Not so helpless...
  • ActorGirl1476
    Options

And the tabloids are just as quick to point out when someone loses weight as well. I dont see Christian hendricks,Sofia veraga, Beyonce, J Lo, getting media pressure to be thinner they are in fact considered some of the most beautifull women today

I didn't say it was true for everyone. I also didn't intend to fight with anyone. You are correct, those are very lovely, curvy women and I am incredibly grateful for them because they give me something to aspire to. I am very happy that they are not pushed to lose weight, because they don't need to. They are, however, a minority.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I posted this on my FB wall. Would MUCH rather have the curves!!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Surely everyone here has seen Some like it Hot?

Marilyn does NOT have a 23 inch waist in that. I would be surprised if it was under 30 inches. She is really pretty large in that film.

I'm not making a point especially, but you can't go round quoting measurements, because they change.
  • ActorGirl1476
    Options
    Surely everyone here has seen Some like it Hot?

Marilyn does NOT have a 23 inch waist in that. I would be surprised if it was under 30 inches. She is really pretty large in that film.

I'm not making a point especially, but you can't go round quoting measurements, because they change.

Unimportant and irrelevant but I LOVE that film!