when DID this becomer more attractive?!?! (pic.....i hope)

Options

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    it actually amazes me how some people just get on here to start a fight. I dont imagine that the person who started this thread meant to "bash people with eating disorders" or any of the other things that were so rudely stated in the replies.

The fact is, that we live in a world where girls (especially those of us in the entertainment industry) are pressured to look like we weigh almost nothing. The picture is not talking about how disgusting anyone is, it is pointing out the difference between what we as a culture find attractive. And it cannot be denied that our culture pushes for this. If someone like Jessica Simpson or Brittany Spears puts on an ounce of weight every tabloid reports how FAT they are, when they are probably still at a healthy weight if not under. To me, at least, the picture is a commentary on society as a whole. It is not intended to pick on people with eating disorders and the original poster even said "I am aware that we all have different body types". She didn't say, nor did the picture, that these women are grotesque monsters who should be ashamed.

Yes, sexy is objective. Everyone finds something different sexy. Some people like HUGE women, some people like SMALL women. It doesn't mean anyone is BAD. It DOES however mean that as a whole, our country (America is where the is the biggest issue--not to dismiss other countries) has a fixation with weight that IS unhealthy. Do you think its a mere coincidence that a majority is either under weight or over weight? Do you think its a coincidence that you can grab almost any magazine and see what the media as a whole considers "sexy" that's the point of this post. I really can't understand how some people just get so angry without looking at the meaning behind things or considering that something was not posted to personally insult them.

*edit* I want to add that I just read someones post where people are referring to the skinny girls as disgusting... and yes, this is JUST as harmful as someone referring to a fat girl as disgusting. And I just want to state that I do not think there is any productivity in bashing anyone else regardless of their size and I stick by my original post (a few above this) where I said we should all strive to be correct for our body type.

And the tabloids are just as quick to point out when someone loses weight as well. I dont see Christian hendricks,Sofia veraga, Beyonce, J Lo, getting media pressure to be thinner they are in fact considered some of the most beautifull women today

I didn't say it was true for everyone. I also didn't intend to fight with anyone. You are correct, those are very lovely, curvy women and I am incredibly grateful for them because they give me something to aspire to. I am very happy that they are not pushed to lose weight, because they don't need to. They are, however, a minority.

No they are not the minority when was the last time you saw any of those girls in the top row (besides Kiera Knightly) promoted as sex symbols or the height of what women should look like?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    You know what would solve this problem compleatly? If everyone stopped being such sheep and trying to live up to other peoples standards
    This x 100... seriously
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Surely everyone here has seen Some like it Hot?

Marilyn does NOT have a 23 inch waist in that. I would be surprised if it was under 30 inches. She is really pretty large in that film.

I'm not making a point especially, but you can't go round quoting measurements, because they change.

Unimportant and irrelevant but I LOVE that film!

It is the best film ever. Well, that and Kind Hearts and Coronets.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

Marilyn does NOT have a 23 inch waist in that. I would be surprised if it was under 30 inches. She is really pretty large in that film.

I'm not making a point especially, but you can't go round quoting measurements, because they change.

You mean the movie where it's known and been quoted that she put on weight for that role.. Good job.. Renee Z. put on weight for a role as well, actresses and actors do that all the time. The point is they were that size.
  • readergal1004
    Options
    I am aiming to look more like Marilyn than Kiera Knightly...that is for sure!!!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Most of the "old" starts you listed are between 5'4-5'8, they look proportionate to their measurements. The second list is woman who are 5'9-5'11, thats the difference.
    Rita Hayworth || 36.5C - 24 - 36
    Sophia Loren || 38C - 24 - 38
    Betty Grable || 36 - 24 - 35
    Vivien Leigh || 32A - 23 - 33
    Audrey Hepburn || 34A - 20 - 34
    Marilyn Monroe || 36 - 23 - 37
    Veronica Lake || 34 - 21 - 33
    Ava Gardner || 36 -23 -37
    Brigitte Bardot || 35.5 - 19 - 35
    Elizabeth Taylor || 36C - 21 - 36

Heidi Montag || 34-26-34
    Kirsten Dunst || 36C-24-35
    Keira Knightley || 32A-22-33
    Jennifer Love Hewitt || 34-26-36
    Nicole Fox || 31-23-35
    Gisele Bündchen || 35-23-35

See how similar they are. You people are looking at the pictures but they are all the same size. Not much has changed!!!! Besides perception. In fact Brigitte Bardot puts to shame in the skinny department a lot of the a-listers today in waist size..

Kirsten Dunst is 5'5
    Heidi Montag is 5'3
    Gisele Bündchen 5'8
    Jennifer Love Hewitt 5'2

So that takes the height comment right out.
    stop trying to make excuse to justify the hypocrisy that is running rampent in this thread

yeah I couldnt stay away:laugh:

Quoting this again since people seem to skip right over it.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I am aiming to look more like Marilyn than Kiera Knightly...that is for sure!!!

So same size pretty much since their measurements are very close.
  • fteale
    Options

You mean the movie where it's known and been quoted that she put on weight for that role.. Good job.. Renee Z. put on weight for a role as well, actresses and actors do that all the time. The point is they were that size.

Well, yes. Sometimes, and at others not. At 18 I weighed 108 lbs. That doesn't mean I get to quote that weight for the rest of my life. You can't say definitely what a film star's measurements are/were because people change all the time.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    amonkey9 has deactivated their account.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am sure she could kick my a** anyday, I was jsut saying in that specific picture she looked disgusting. There are other pictures where she looks amazing, but that specific one she looks a bit gross...there are women who are super skinny but are fit and look great, and some look like they are about to break, doesn't mean they actually will or that they can't kick someones *kitten*
    Keira Knightly looks disgusting...just a lil more meat and she would look better.
    I understand people are naturally thin, I have sister who is smaller than double 0, and nothing wrong with that. But there is definitely something wrong if you're starving/exercising yourself to the point where you can see more bones than meat. Meat is good, it protects you from great injuries, you can be thin and beautiful without looking like a helpess skeleton.

If she's kept her fitness and training up from when she shot King Arthur, I can bet she could probably kick your butt. Not so helpless...
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you're referring to "hotter" as what men want...I don't think it ever did. I have never known a single man who preferred a woman with absolutely no meat on her.

I have.
    Ive defintely had guys tell me who they think the hottest girl in the room is and it's the top row girls half of the time....
    but i'm a big larger (size 8-10) and guys out of nowhere have told me that they really like my shape as compared to other shapes...

but look, guys.. those girls on the bottom row aren't big just because they are voluptuous....those classic pinups have tiny waists! look at elizabeth taylor ! i think they had larger legs than today's girl because they got their shape from diet and not so much working out ....... think about it. in the end maybe they ate even less than today's celebrity women :(

in the end i probably prefer a PERSON over a BODY anyway........
    and health as compared to size.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Well, yes. Sometimes, and at others not. At 18 I weighed 108 lbs. That doesn't mean I get to quote that weight for the rest of my life. You can't say definitely what a film star's measurements are/were because people change all the time.

You realize that stars measurements are from their tailors, models and actresses report that on the back of their head and body shots. It's as common on that stuff as you phone number.

<---- was a theatre performance major in college for 3 years.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    amonkey9 has deactivated their account.

Interesting. I kind of wondered about her posting this.. By her post I had assumed she'd be all for being "curvy" but she was netting 300-1000 cals a day.. hmm
  • ActorGirl1476
    ActorGirl1476 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    it actually amazes me how some people just get on here to start a fight. I dont imagine that the person who started this thread meant to "bash people with eating disorders" or any of the other things that were so rudely stated in the replies.

The fact is, that we live in a world where girls (especially those of us in the entertainment industry) are pressured to look like we weigh almost nothing. The picture is not talking about how disgusting anyone is, it is pointing out the difference between what we as a culture find attractive. And it cannot be denied that our culture pushes for this. If someone like Jessica Simpson or Brittany Spears puts on an ounce of weight every tabloid reports how FAT they are, when they are probably still at a healthy weight if not under. To me, at least, the picture is a commentary on society as a whole. It is not intended to pick on people with eating disorders and the original poster even said "I am aware that we all have different body types". She didn't say, nor did the picture, that these women are grotesque monsters who should be ashamed.

Yes, sexy is objective. Everyone finds something different sexy. Some people like HUGE women, some people like SMALL women. It doesn't mean anyone is BAD. It DOES however mean that as a whole, our country (America is where the is the biggest issue--not to dismiss other countries) has a fixation with weight that IS unhealthy. Do you think its a mere coincidence that a majority is either under weight or over weight? Do you think its a coincidence that you can grab almost any magazine and see what the media as a whole considers "sexy" that's the point of this post. I really can't understand how some people just get so angry without looking at the meaning behind things or considering that something was not posted to personally insult them.

*edit* I want to add that I just read someones post where people are referring to the skinny girls as disgusting... and yes, this is JUST as harmful as someone referring to a fat girl as disgusting. And I just want to state that I do not think there is any productivity in bashing anyone else regardless of their size and I stick by my original post (a few above this) where I said we should all strive to be correct for our body type.

And the tabloids are just as quick to point out when someone loses weight as well. I dont see Christian hendricks,Sofia veraga, Beyonce, J Lo, getting media pressure to be thinner they are in fact considered some of the most beautifull women today

I didn't say it was true for everyone. I also didn't intend to fight with anyone. You are correct, those are very lovely, curvy women and I am incredibly grateful for them because they give me something to aspire to. I am very happy that they are not pushed to lose weight, because they don't need to. They are, however, a minority.

No they are not the minority when was the last time you saw any of those girls in the top row (besides Kiera Knightly) promoted as sex symbols or the height of what women should look like?

They are the minority because there are fewer of them than the other. That is what minority means. I am happy they are considered sexier. I hope that soon, being a healthy weight is considered by everyone to be sexier. I can't say I agree with you, but I really hope you are right and people don't feel the need to be anorexic anymore.

I am speaking from a world where my skinny beautiful actor friends are told to lose weight in order to be sexier and it makes them, and me feel horrible. I am sorry I seem to have offended you so much.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options

So how is the bottom row any healthier or more curvy when the messure ments are almost all the same?

I think it's the sight of ribs that makes me feel they've gone too far, or can you see ribs with a healthy BMI (I'm not that trim yet so I couldn't say from looking at myself).

Anyway, I didn't say the bottom row are healthy, I just imagined a calorie restricted diet and/or daily exercise regime of several hours to stay that lean and build those abs. Not really practical for a normal person, so why do we have these images to the exclusion of all others shoved in our faces all of the time? (And just to drive home that the media still doesn't get how it's contributing to the problem, in the 21st century, the Adelaide city council has designed a female shopper mascot for it's Rundle Mall shaped like a Bratz doll - tall, slender, tiny waist, huge head. I know she's not realistic but I still see how her shape curves in at the waist and the circumference of it and work hard to fight the brain washing. Right, time to walk along the beach in hipsters and a crop top with my probably socially unacceptable tummy in full view! :-D ).

Edit: ActorGirl, you tell it like it is :-)
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

They are the minority because there are fewer of them than the other. That is what minority means. I am happy they are considered sexier. I hope that soon, being a healthy weight is considered by everyone to be sexier. I can't say I agree with you, but I really hope you are right and people don't feel the need to be anorexic anymore.

I am speaking from a world where my skinny beautiful actor friends are told to lose weight in order to be sexier and it makes them, and me feel horrible. I am sorry I seem to have offended you so much.

Im not offended
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

So how is the bottom row any healthier or more curvy when the messure ments are almost all the same?

I think it's the sight of ribs that makes me feel they've gone too far, or can you see ribs with a healthy BMI (I'm not that trim yet so I couldn't say from looking at myself).

Yes you could still see ribs on a person at a healthy BMI. Note that the women in the bottom (well 3 of them) are wearing one piece bathing suits - how do you know they don't have ribs showing too?
  • fteale
    Options

You realize that stars measurements are from their tailors, models and actresses report that on the back of their head and body shots. It's as common on that stuff as you phone number.

<---- was a theatre performance major in college for 3 years.

Yes, I know. I was a singer/performer for years, I know all about head and body shots.

Having googled Marilyn, she fluctuated between 117 lbs (when she died) and 140 lbs (when she was married to Arthur Miller). So a fair natural variation regardless of weight loss/gain for specific roles.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

Anyway, I didn't say the bottom row are healthy, I just imagined a calorie restricted diet and/or daily exercise regime of several hours to stay that lean and build those abs. Not really practical for a normal person, so why do we have these images to the exclusion of all others shoved in our faces all of the time? (And just to drive home that the media still doesn't get how it's contributing to the problem, in the 21st century, the Adelaide city council has designed a female shopper mascot for it's Rundle Mall shaped like a Bratz doll - tall, slender, tiny waist, huge head. I know she's not realistic but I still see how her shape curves in at the waist and the circumference of it and work hard to fight the brain washing. Right, time to walk along the beach in hipsters and a crop top with my probably socially unacceptable tummy in full view! :-D ).

Really when are any of those girls in the top row shoved in our faces. You know who I hear about every single day, all the fuller figured actress and singers.