Fall of the Great Food Pyramid

Options
KiyaK
KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
Remember the Food Guide Pyramid? The U.S. Department of Agriculture developed it in 1992, for you nerds--I mean--charming readers who enjoy these things. Eat more of food groups towards the bottom (grains, fruits, veggies) and fewer of the food groups near the top (fats & oils). So easy to understand. Why mess with a good thing, right?

But they DID mess with it! Click to find out what replaced the ol' FGP & why:
http://runswithblisters.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/fall-of-the-great-food-pyramid/

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Harvard School of Public Health came up with their own pate that looks a little better. It emphasizes vegetables, whole grains and healthy protein, does not include dairy but does include healthy oils. They also include the importance of exercise. :wink:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I did see that and actually used one of their web pages as a source for my post. I chose not to mention Harvard's pyramid or plate for a few different reasons. I like to keep my posts short (under 400 words) and focused in topic. I felt that keeping this particular post focused on the changes in the only the USDA pyramids and plate would make it more unified. I might explain the Harvard plate in another post down the line, who knows! Thanks for your input :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    This is the food pyramid I adhere to. I want nothing to do with the USDA's food pyramid that is catering to the likes of the grain industry and mostly Monsanto.

Primal_Blueprint_Food_Pyramid.jpg
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I dont like what Harvard says. I think there is absolutely no reason to say dairy is bad.

I also think theres no reason to change the food pyramid completely, but instead include good fats and lower the serving number because people are less active now than they used to be.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the one Grokette put up!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I dont like what Harvard says. I think there is absolutely no reason to say dairy is bad.

I also think theres no reason to change the food pyramid completely, but instead include good fats and lower the serving number because people are less active now than they used to be.

Dairy consumption is one of the biggest causes of diet-related diseases.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    sure it is
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    meat-pyramid_design.png
  • Jovialation
    Options
    image is broken
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is the food pyramid I adhere to. I want nothing to do with the USDA's food pyramid that is catering to the likes of the grain industry and mostly Monsanto.

Why does that graphic say "Effortless Weight Loss" on it?
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

^^^this. exactly this.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

because when following the primal blueprint (where this image is from) it really is easy to lose weight...i'm down 6 lbs in 3 weeks where as i lost ZERO pounds in all of 2011 by following a different grain-focused diet. it really is easy! marksdailyapple.com
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    sure it is

Here's some good information on the topic, though I've seen it elsewhere.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products

ADDING THIS: I'm not saying automatically go vegan. I practice veganism, my family doesn't. I also drink coffee, which I don't consider good for me, but I still drink it. And I have too much sugar in my coffee, but I still drink it. If I went back to having dairy, I'd definitely watch the amounts, knowing it wasn't good for me.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I really hate people who say something is "easy to lose weight with." It doesn't really matter what kind of diet or eating plan you're doing, it's never as easy as you think.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I prefer Paula+Deens+Food+Pyramid.jpg
  • Grokette
    Options

Dairy consumption is one of the biggest causes of diet-related diseases.

Actually this post is partially correct. For thousands of years way before the pasteurization and homogenization process people were consuming the milk of domesticated animals without lactose intolerance issues.

It wasn't until the pasteurization and homogenization process came about that lactose intolerance became an issue.

If we were to go back to consuming raw dairy products from grass fed and pastured ruminants, we would see far less lactose intolerance issues.

So what they have done to dairy is what is making it unconsumable.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,899 Member
    Options
    sure it is

ADDING THIS: I'm not saying automatically go vegan. I practice veganism, my family doesn't. I also drink coffee, which I don't consider good for me, but I still drink it. And I have too much sugar in my coffee, but I still drink it. If I went back to having dairy, I'd definitely watch the amounts, knowing it wasn't good for me.
    That's what's called confirmation bias................you can't pick a vegetarian/vegan source and call that reliable scientific information.......lol.
  • Grokette
    Options

When you find YOUR sweet spot following the pyramid above you will have effortless weight loss.

Picture2.png
  • Jovialation
    Options
    sure it is

This study is more concerned with cutting OUT dairy than smoking?

I smoke and still find this weird.
    Also yes duh high fat isnt good to have in a diet...doesnt mean you cut out milk.

Also the words "research suggests" are in there an AWFUL lot.

Lactose intolerance is a good reason for those with that issue to cut out dairy, but not me.

It's pretty obvious vitamin D comes from other sources, but ok. Whatever.

Contaminants??? Really?? Everything we eat unless we grow it ourselves likely has contaminants. dur.

Also a lot of these studies seem like coincidence and then they came up with reasons for their coincidences later on.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    You could eat as much carbs as you want and lose weight. as long as it was under your caloriie limit