Fall of the Great Food Pyramid

Options
14567810»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Harvard School of Public Health came up with their own pate that looks a little better. It emphasizes vegetables, whole grains and healthy protein, does not include dairy but does include healthy oils. They also include the importance of exercise. :wink:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

As soon as I saw the subject line I thought "the great food pyramid didn't fall because the great food pyramid was created at HSPH, and it's still great". The USDA pyramin was never great. I stilll prefer the HSPH pyramid to the plate, but both are much better tools than the USDA versions.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The best method of imbibing grains is in a fermented liquid form.

;-)

I'm a vegetarian and the card my boyfriend gave me for my birthday said something like, "There's a tasty new way to eat your grains." And then it was all about how cows eat grains, so you should eat beef.

He's lucky I can laugh at myself.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    Wow...all this arguing about the Food Pyramid makes me glad I'm Canadian. :laugh:
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Logic is great, but logically speaking: Only 1/3 of people with a gluten intolerance are diagnosed/aware of the problem, so it makes sense for people to go grain/gluten free for a few weeks to see if they are in that 2/3 percentage that is healthier on a grain/gluten free diet. Right?
    This is where I stand, too. I LOVE eating the way I do. Everyone doesn't have to, I WISH I could eat grains and lose but I can't (PCOS). BUT, it someone is eating a grain heavy, low fat, typical american "diet" and counting calories and NOT losing, what is the harm in suggesting cutting them out and seeing if the scale moves? I feel like the mere suggestion on here gets attacked, when it's a legitimate alternative eating plan that just may work.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Logic is great, but logically speaking: Only 1/3 of people with a gluten intolerance are diagnosed/aware of the problem, so it makes sense for people to go grain/gluten free for a few weeks to see if they are in that 2/3 percentage that is healthier on a grain/gluten free diet. Right?

That only sounds logical if they are experiencing symptoms. Without symptoms to be rid of, what gain would there be from giving up gluten?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

That only sounds logical if they are experiencing symptoms. Without symptoms to be rid of, what gain would there be from giving up gluten?

Many people don't have symptoms they'd recognize as gluten intolerance, and that's assuming they know about gluten intolerance.

I have a friend who's only major symptom besides a general feeling of "blah" was elevated white blood cell count, which her doctor didn't even consider as anything more than "you must have just gotten over a bug."
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Aren't we suppose to be supportive of each other instead of bashing each others lifestyle choices? If one chooses to live a vegan or vegetarian llifestyle (I do not) then that is their choice. If one chooses to not eat grains, then that is their choice. Who are we to judge each other? If one diet works for Tom, **** and Harry, then good for them! But it may not be the appropriate choice for everyone else.

Give some love to each other y'all...I'm just saying!!! :love:
  • bcattoes
    Options

Many people don't have symptoms they'd recognize as gluten intolerance, and that's assuming they know about gluten intolerance.

I have a friend who's only major symptom besides a general feeling of "blah" was elevated white blood cell count, which her doctor didn't even consider as anything more than "you must have just gotten over a bug."

Well, that was more or less my point. Your friend has unexplained symptoms. But, for example, I eat wheat and other grains. I consistently have healthy checkups, no "blah" feeling, no bloating, no lack of energy, etc. I feel perfectly healthy and according to all test, I am perfectly healthy. Why would it be logical for me to go grain/gluten free for a few weeks? I probably wouldn't hurt me, but fail to see the logic for it.
  • lizzybethanne
    lizzybethanne Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    LOL--HIlarious!
  • darconnor
    Options
    Now that's the truth.