LADIES: GYM ATTIRE; OPINION POLL

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I wear the same thing I'd wear running outdoors (my preferred form of exercise)... Usually running shorts and a tank if I'm on the TM, spinning or doing HIIT, and short/tights and a tank/tshirt if I'm lifting. I wear whatever's cheap because my performance and athleticism isn't measured by how cute I look.

If I'm ogled at the gym, it just makes me work harder.

Those who wish not to be seen at all ought to stay at home, as far as I'm concerned. You can't escape the public and you can't dictate the actions of others. If people are leering or sexually harassing you, that's another matter. If they are appreciating your hard work, work harder and show them how it's done.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Ok so hears the deal. I was wanting you girls opinion on something I've wondered for a long time. Most women don't wanna be gawked at in the gym or they act as if they dont. BUT WHY do you wear such revealing clothes. By all means I'm a fan, but when the girl shows up with her shorts rolled up and a sports bra on, you can't help but look!!!! Its like if you got it flaunt it (which at my gym they do) so don't act all shocked if every guy in the gym is checking you out when your doing your leg kicks/yoga stretches in the ab room!

THANK YOU!
  • zanie13
    zanie13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No kidding. My point was if you go to work out and walk out of there looking "good" and not sweaty and gross, you're probably not doing it right or going for the wrong reasons!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    No kidding. My point was if you go to work out and walk out of there looking "good" and not sweaty and gross, you're probably not doing it right or going for the wrong reasons!

Says who?

How do you even know when someone's leaving, and what they look like compared to when they arrived?

It's their workout, not yours.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Loose-fitting shorts turn you into a flasher.

Yep, and the last thing you want to be caught wearing on the hip abductor machine is loose shorts. :laugh:

Is that what that thing's called?

I always referred to it as the "good-girl/bad-girl machine"
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I spend more time looking at how others are acting in the gym rather than what they're wearing tbh (partly because of the aforementioned freezingness). I was watching one woman glaring at another (slimmer, prettier) woman on a treadmill next to her, some guy doing his arm work out for everyone to see his big muscles etc. I love people watching.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    It's simple. Girls like to SEE what the work they have put in has done. Why be all covered up when you've worked your butt off to have those abs?
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    This thread is long overdue for some pictures!
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options

LOL...I'm surprised we haven't seen any yet too :noway:
  • mlawilm
    mlawilm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i kinda think i should be allowed to push the girls in coochie cutter shorts off of the treadmill. or at least go up to it and put it on, oh i don't know 9mph and watch them fly off of it :laugh: luckily i haven't encountered too many girls at my gym that wear pj's to work out in. you wanna wear tight yoga pants and a sports bra i'm fine with that but when i feel uncomfortable at the treadmill behind you because you have *kitten* cheek hanging out then there is a problem. just saying....

I am SO with you on this comment !!!
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Loose-fitting shorts turn you into a flasher.

Yep, and the last thing you want to be caught wearing on the hip abductor machine is loose shorts. :laugh:

Is that what that thing's called?

I always referred to it as the "good-girl/bad-girl machine"

Very true!!! BTW I call it the "yes-no machine"
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't let women work out in just a sports bra, it has to cover the stomach. We've got girls in tank tops but mostly all the girls, and guys, dress pretty reasonably.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    This thread is incredible. If the comments were the opposite way around about people needing to lose weight, it would have been closed.
    It's simple. Girls like to SEE what the work they have put in has done. Why be all covered up when you've worked your butt off to have those abs?

Exactly. Same for everyone. Why flaunt your pictures on here of you're success? Because you are proud of your achievements!
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I avoid the gym like the plague. But if you just so happen to pass me on my run-course, I'll be in running pants and a tech-tank...jiggling down the road. Can't keep your lunch down? Don't look. Kthnxbye
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    everybody looks at me crazy now because I quit the pony tail. Yes, it is hot and sweaty but pony tails give me roaring headaches!

I have to do the same thing, I can't stand it sometimes. The girls look at me crazy too, but I don't really care....as long as my head isn't pounding..that's all I care about.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

LOL...I'm surprised we haven't seen any yet too :noway:

You could change that. :wink:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Meh, crazy as it sounds women are not one homogeneous unit with a Borg like collective consciousness.

Whilst I am sure there are some women who do dress up because they want to be looked at but then b*tch about it I feel they are few and far between. Some wear minimal clothing because they want attention, some because it is more comfortable, some for freedom of movement and athletic considerations.

Trying to determine a woman's motivation without knowing her or speaking to her is nigh on impossible and leads to false assumptions.

In my experience looking is generally fine. Staring is only fine if you are the guy or gal she secretly wants to be stared at by. Ignoring many women ends up in them looking at you (yes, young pretty girl on the exercise bike next to me I DID see you staring at my thighs as I was doing interval training...}
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I love tight clothes. I've worn baggy clothes over tight clothes (I love the baggy open neck things), but I get warm. A lot of the tighter clothes is also made of a lot nicer material which makes a noticeable difference at the gym. Those guys who like underarmer will understand. Even since I've gained weight, I still like my tight clothes. Not the look but I love the feel of things hugging me. If it were up to me the malls would be filled with corsets, and I can't go to the gym in a corset. I do stretches at the gym and get a lot of looks (I'm flexible). It bothers me so I try to hide around the most vacant corner but there's always that weirdo who stares at you. I always secretly hope that one of those I-do-my-hair-and-makeup-before-I-go-to-the-gym people will show up and prance around to take attention away. I do the stretches at the gym because I find I'm better motivated there and if I don't do them there, I don't do them at all. And I'd like to see how long in life I can put my leg behind my head. People have asked me to pull that one at parties, and that attracts intentional attention for sure. But it's not one of those wow she's hot attention it's more of a wow wtf is wrong with you attention, which if I'm intoxicated, I find hilarious.

What I think is really inappropriate is I've had personal trainers at the gym come up to me and ask if I can do stretches on their bed. And it's not like I've looked at or spoke to them and similar things have happened several times. I have automatic horse blinders at the gym because God knows what will happen if you make eye contact. Way to be professional folks. I can't have a personal trainer now because I'm assuming he's stretching me on his bed in his mind :P

Nothing wrong with a buffed up guy with a high sex drive, I just don't like doing strangers thanks.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't let women work out in just a sports bra, it has to cover the stomach. We've got girls in tank tops but mostly all the girls, and guys, dress pretty reasonably.

What the hell?!?! Omg, that's ridiculous
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

I never walk *out* of the gym disgusting. That's what the showers are for. Geez, people.