Is it wrong?

Options
chubbybunnee
chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
I am married and have been for 6 years. When my husband and I got married I used to have tons of guy friends! Since we got married and I moved, I still keep in contact with them from time to time which my husband says bothers him, but I still do it because I don't feel I should have to choose my marriage over my friends. So I was seeing our marriage counselor who told me that I should not have any guy friends. He said it is bad for the marriage. What!? Really? I encourage my husband to have friends that are girls because I am hoping if he doesn't listen to me, then maybe he will listen to thier advice! lol. I have no issues with it, I am not a jelous person, I have no problems with him going out with the guys to a bar, or dance club at all. He doesn't see it that way though. He and apparently my counselor think that once you are married you should not have friends of the opposite sex that aren't also married or it can "ruin" the marriage.

What do you all think of this? I am not going to stop chatting or hanging out with my guy friends because I think it's stupid to assume my marital problems are because I have friends that are guys. I rarely talk to them on the phone, and I have one or two main guy friends that I hang out with in a group when I go out with the girls, but I have never done or said anything that would give him any reason to be jelous so I have a hard time understanding why he is. I have never cheated on him, even when we were filing for divorce, and we are currently in marriage counseling right now and the newest thing is that he is not happy that I'm on a coed softball team since I am going to be around guys! It's like he is so insecure with himself, he can't stand to let me talk to anyone else!

I know exactly how I feel about this and am going to stick to my guns on this one, but what would you all do in this situation and what do you think about it?

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you made your decision. Hanging out with single male friends takes precedence over your husband's desire for you not to do so.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I think that's absurd to believe that a person can't have friends of opposite sex once they are married and i'd find a new counselor.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I think you've made your decision.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it is over and you are seeing a counselor to just go through the motions of it.
    It happens to people.
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you made your decision. Hanging out with single male friends takes precedence over your husband's desire for you not to do so.

Agree!

It's not just about the friends. It's about something that makes your husband uncomfortable and that he has asked you not to do - and you choosing to do it regardless. I'm not saying you should just blindly follow what your husband says but there should be communication and you should be able to come to an agreement about any situation.
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's wrong, but I'm laid back about stuff.
    Having said that, I don't think my wife would let me go out with single women ... maybe she knows me too well
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    If your relationship is awesome with your husband, if he is getting what he feels is his share of fair attention, this would likely not be an issue.

Consider this a symptom.

And also ask yourself why you feel the need to keep in touch with single guy friends that no longer live near you, and why you have some loyalty to keeping those relationships alive. Sure, a hi now and then, but to actively engage on a regular basis seems odd to me.

In the end, live and let live so this is just my opinion.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If your relationship is awesome with your husband, if he is getting what he feels is his share of fair attention, this would likely not be an issue.

Consider this a symptom.

And also ask yourself why you feel the need to keep in touch with single guy friends that no longer live near you, and why you have some loyalty to keeping those relationships alive. Sure, a hi now and then, but to actively engage on a regular basis seems odd to me.

In the end, live and let live so this is just my opinion.

This...a million times over.
  • Noki1024
    Noki1024 Posts: 302
    Options
    I didn't read that your guy friends were single like some posters are assuming. If that is the case then, yes, a once in a while phone call or email seems harmless as long as your husband is aware. If your guy friends are attached with girlfriends/wives than why not make it a couples outing?
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My marriage is a priority and if having guy friends jeopardized that I would back off the friendships. I committed to my husband for life, not my old guy friends. I respect him and the marriage enough to follow the wishes, if the were to ask that. I guess it depends on how much you value your marriage and husband vs old friendships. Just my 2 cents.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    If you are go thro dangerous times, why put yourself in the centre of temptation?
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options

this
  • chubbybunnee
    Options
    I just don't understand where all of this jelousy is coming from! I mean common! He doesn't like me bring on a coed softball team? He is making be feel so isolated. I just don't get the difference between having guys as friends and girls as friends. We all hang out the same way regardless. There is no flirting, there is no hiding anything, it's just more fun when we all mingle together. I just feel like he's trying to cut me off from my friends and they were all there for me when he was not so it's like he's taking away my support system...
  • DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    I think trust is the issue.I was married for many years and trusted my wife to have male friends and I had female friends,no big deal.If you really love one another trust should be simple.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I didn't read that your guy friends were single like some posters are assuming. If that is the case then, yes, a once in a while phone call or email seems harmless as long as your husband is aware. If your guy friends are attached with girlfriends/wives than why not make it a couples outing?

This statement implies they are single. "...once you are married you should not have friends of the opposite sex that aren't also married or it can "ruin" the marriage."
  • chubbybunnee
    Options
    The trust thing!

That's how I feel about it. I trust him completey! He goes to Houston for the whole weekend and I don't question who hes with or who he'll hang out with. I'm shocked he hasn't kicked me off MFP for having guy friends on here too! I don't see what it matters if the guys are single or married because it doesn't make a difference to me. I just like having groups of friends that like to comingle and have fun. The gender of the person makes no difference to me. Now if I was making out with some guys or cheated or gave him reason to suspect it, I could rationalise that he would want me to hang out with girls only, but if I am asking my guy friend on facebook, how have you been?, I shouldn't get yelled at for saying hi. I feel like he's looney tunes sometimes!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand where all of this jelousy is coming from! I mean common! He doesn't like me bring on a coed softball team? He is making be feel so isolated. I just don't get the difference between having guys as friends and girls as friends. We all hang out the same way regardless. There is no flirting, there is no hiding anything, it's just more fun when we all mingle together. I just feel like he's trying to cut me off from my friends and they were all there for me when he was not so it's like he's taking away my support system...

He's insecure because he thinks he is losing you because of the strife you are going thro. You standing around with team of fit men will not inspire confidence. The same would be rolls reversed.

Lets face it, when things go wrong and you argue you'll want a shoulder to cry on. Some men are sharks and will be that shoulder and look for something more from it.

Course they'll never admit it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    like Harry told Sally...men and women cant be friends...the sex thing always gets in the way
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't see any issue with you having friends outside of the marriage. To tell you that you can't continue friendships that existed prior to the marriage is a control issue that I would not feel comfortable with. That is your husband's issue though, not yours.

Good luck.
  • odusgolp
    Options

It seems pretty apparent that you want out. But no one on a message board hearing only your side of the story can possibly help you deal with this properly... Your issues in your marriage are obviously much deeper than this.