How do you stop from snacking at night?

Options

Replies

• aeboone24
    Options
    I brush my teeth. Everything tastes like crap after you brush your teeth :sick:

such a good idea!!!
    stopping me, i make sure i drink at least 2cups of water or i go to bed early.
  • newlaura30
    Options
    this sounds yummy x
  • Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My sugesstion is to go to sleep early....
  • aineypw
    Options
    Just imagine yourself being at that desired weight. Try eating a granola bar or fresh fruits. Most importantly you must have will power. Because of medication, I've gained at least 50 pounds over the last 5 years. After losing everything as a result of Hurricane Katrina, I had to buy new clothing, mostly of sizes 12-14. So for the last several years I have not been able to wear those cloths and I refused to get rid of them. Of course, I needed new larger women sizes, some being as large 22W. The daily reminder was going into my closet and seeing the clothing that I couldn't get my large frame into. It get's to the point when you finally tell yourself "enough is ENOUGH." So last summer I joined a local gym, changed my eating habits and came across "myfitnesspal." I followed it faithfully for about 2 months and lost about 15 pounds. Last week I decided to start myfitnesspal plan again and I'm seeing results again. The only problem is that I can't get to the gym because of work, but inspite of, I'm still losing wieight. I invite anyone who would like to keep in touch throughout this journey. It's hard but at the same time it's rewarding.
  • caretheaton
    caretheaton Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I get the urge to snack at night, I'll drink some hot tea. Not entirely sure why this little trick works for me... I think it has something to do with getting the flavor of the tea, plus the water helps fill my stomach a little so it takes the edge off. But if I am actually hungry at night (which I usually am, since I work until 11:00 pm), I'll eat a bowl of whole grain cereal or a banana.

If you're snacking just because you're feeling munchie, then total try all the tips about brushing your teeth and stuff. But if you are actually hungry at night, eat something light. It will keep your blood sugar from dropping while you sleep which would make you feel yucky when you wake up.
  • kriseriksen
    Options
    I crave salty crunchy - pretzels especially. I find edamame with some salt works when I'm dieting and smoked salted almonds when I'm not. Fat doesn't make be gain. White, simple carbs do. So summer sausage in small bits, a little cheese, edamameor almonds work. I DO try to not eat after 7 or 8 pm. 3 hours before bed - no food.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner between 7 and 8pm and then don't eat after that. When I eat late I don't feel the need to snack. If I do feel hungry I make myself an herbal tea and that helps. Lately I've allowed myself the occasional light hot chocolate at night (45 cals).
  • cara824
    Options
    Lap Band :)
  • emmaline8
    emmaline8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Brush AND floss. It takes me like 15 minutes to floss, so that's motivation enough not to snack. Also, go to bed earlier?
  • jennineschaich
    Options
    i try eating a piece of fruit or veggies. I think it is mostly due to bordom and that is when i hop on my computer and do more homework or play with my pups.
  • kblund
    kblund Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't I just make good decisions. I like to take corn tortillas and cut into 8ths and then spray with cooking spray and sprinkle garlic salt on them and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until they are crisp like chips. Then I eat them with salsa.
  • i_like_snow
    i_like_snow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is hard for me since I live with my hubby and 2 small kids who are not dieting and snack every night. They eat popcorn (air popped w/butter) or ice cream almost every night. Sometimes I will allow myself to have 1 cup of popcorn with 1tsp of melted butter or if I'm really craving ice cream I'll limit myself to 1/2 cup (If I have the calories left over) or just one spoonful.

Otherwise I'll have a manderin orange or a Special K snack bar (the peanut butter chocolate ones are awesome!).

We usually eat dinner afte 6pm so that keeps me full for awhile and there are times I don't even need to snack at night.

I love the brushing your teeth idea!
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I just have to go to bed to avoid overeating.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I snack on things are "free" foods like celery (no peanut butter or cream cheese), carrots, cuccumbers, etc. Or if I've allowed for some extra calories, I will eat a Slim Fast 200 calorie bar or 1-2 100 calorie snack packs.

Just curious..how are carrots/celery/and cucumbers "free" foods...all contain some calories.
  • bearfan42
    Options
    I agree...brushing teeth really works and I always try to go to bed earlier too....That helps!!!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner between 7 and 8pm and then don't eat after that. When I eat late I don't feel the need to snack. If I do feel hungry I make myself an herbal tea and that helps. Lately I've allowed myself the occasional light hot chocolate at night (45 cals).

I think its Swiss Miss makes a "diet" hot cocoa that is 25 cals and pretty good :)
  • jmadsen12
    Options
    I let myself have a small snack 1-2 nights/week as long as I'm under calories for the day. Most times, I don't even want a snack-I'm just bored.

I've started publishing my daily calories right after dinner. Then I'm done because I hate going back in to edit.

Sometimes I brush my teeth, sometimes I drink a bottle or two of water or grab my Kindle and read...
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    thats a tough one for me ..more if i work a second shift at the nursing home ..i fight eating all the crap they lay out there at the nurses station.. no one ever gives us fruit or something healthy .,its always candy ,cookies and donuts .. so i fight that drug of my choice which is sweets and i get home and its on my mind like a monkey on my back .. i do one of three things..i go straight to bed and hope to zonk out asap, cave in and have something i shouldnt, or i have a protein shake and head to bed right away. nights were always hard on me and still are :(
  • marisol_cd
    Options
    I drink tea with a little bit of honey.
  • southerncherries25
    Options
    I only eat 250 cals max between breakfast and lunch. I dont let my dinner go over 500 calories and sometimes not even that. Leaving me 500 in the deficit. Im a huge night snacker and have been since I started losing weight 2 years ago. I realized what I was snacking on was hurting me. The past 6 months Ive lost 53 lbs. and started to read everything. I can eat "almost" everything I ate before, but different brands and the words light and fat free have made a huge difference. For instance I love dipping celery in salsa con queso ( a smidge of the salsa conqueso per celery) Newman's Own only has 45 cals per 2tbsp serving, yet store brand and taco bell have 90 or more cals per 2tbsp serving. Reading labels will help tremendously. When all else fails though, I pop a bag of smart pop popcorn and thats 240 calories of filling snacking that kills time and gets me through the evening.