SO who's had POSITIVE experiences with online dating sites?

Options
PeekABooGirl
PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
The other thread had me curious. Seems a lot of hokey stuff happening on online dating websites. I'm just wondering if anyone's had really GOOD experiences...? It's hard meeting people once you're "older" (haha) and not hanging out in bars or dance clubs, etc. I was thinking maybe some of those you pay a membership for would have filtered out some of the riff-raff just wanting hook-ups versus potential relationships.

SO anyone brave enough to SHARE!?
:love: :flowerforyou: :happy:

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I have, I only went on a date with one person, and that is now the man I'm going to be marrying.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I've used dating sites off and on for the past 15 years. They are a great way to meet new people and have some pretty interesting life stories (No time now, but if you want to hear a good story, ask me about the one who raised iguanas). I've had a long-term relationship from online dating and have friends who've met the wife/husband that way.

1) Find the sites that are stronger in your area. Match.com is probably the most popular, but there are many others (Plenty of fish, OKCupid, zoosk, etc.).
    2) Be open minded. As a woman, you're going to get a lot more interest from men you'd never want to date, but that's all part of finding the best one for you.
    3) Don't be afraid to be aggressive and write to someone who interests you.
    4) Ease into the first meeting. Emails, phone, meeting in a public place. And have a rescue call planned.
    5) Have fun.
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! That's great to hear! I used to do online dating quite a bit about 11-12 yrs ago and met alot of nice people. Just wondering if things had changed significantly. I'm sure there's a mix of those looking for hook ups and those looking for relationships....
  • gwynb041109
    gwynb041109 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I met my husband through singlesnet.com and we got married 6 months after meeting :)
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    I met my husband online and we have been married for over seven years :smile:
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Online dating is just another tool.

The nice part about online dating is you arent limited to the same group of "friends of friends" like you typically are with traditional dating.

I had great times with online dating.

Granted, I wasn't looking for a LTR, but I posted that I wasn't, and hence didn't have to break any poor little hearts.
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    Options
    I met my husband online. We have been married 5 years and have 3 kids. We are happily married.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've used them off and on for years myself, and have found the experience to be a great one. I've done some dating, had a few relationships, and made some good friends along the way. And even the dates that went badly at least left me with some funny stories to tell my friends. :)

I was just talking to a friend about this the other day, and I'll post here the same advice I gave her:

Be sure to give a friend your date's name, email address, phone number, the name of the site you met on and their screen name on that site. Any info you have on them. There are a lotta whack-jobs out there in the world (not just the online world, either...you can meet a nut-case in the supermarket, the gym or anywhere for that matter), and should something bad happen, someone should have that information to pass along to the authorities.

Thanks for the reminder, btw. I haven't looked yet today to see if anyone's emailed me, winked at me, or otherwise wants to meet me. :)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Met my boyfriend on there (and several of my best guy friends). We've been together just over a year & live together. We have plans of getting married eventually, so he's definitely the love of my life :)

That being said....I had some horrible experiences with some massive jerks. My advice is: Don't use free sites. That's where all the "I just wanna get laid & play games" guy are. Most people who just want to get laid aren't going to pay $20 a month to do so, so you have a greater chance of meeting more serious daters on sites like eHarmony. I met my bf on a free site....wish I would've met him sooner lol
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I met someone 3.5 years ago on a "dating site" called OkCupid. I had actually been a member of that site for 2 years prior and was planning on deleting my profile the day we started talking, because i was sick of talking to jerks.

He made me laugh, and we talked for about 2 months, and then met in person. He drove 50 miles (there and back) to come see me, every day. Because I lived in NY and was a new driver, and he lived in New jersey and was a confident driver.

It was a new experience for me, since no one had ever done something like that for me before.

But I guess he's stalking me, because he's sitting next to me right now! oh no wait, we got married on September 17, 2010... :D
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    my on line dating experience had lead me to believe that there are more pirates in the world now then there were in the 1800's... everyone seems to be interested in booty!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've done it off and on the past several years. I've had a couple relationships develop out of it, and I've remained friends with a lot of the guys I've met, but no real love connections yet. That being said, I prefer meeting guys out in the real world versus online dating, but that dating pool is getting smaller and smaller as I get.. ummm.. (do I have to say it?) OLD!!!!
  • igora_soma
    Options
    I met my current boyfriend online, I've had good and bad experiences previously! I agree with whoever said you need to find which site is strongest in your area. I think it also depends on what you are looking for. I met quite a few commitment phobes on OKcupid! Then I met my bf there and he's the one for me! :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on online dating. We met on OKCupid.

I've also met 3 of my best friends on there. It's a nice way to window shop for partners.
  • suefa1013
    Options
    Actually my husband and I met on match.com! I was 41 and he was 45 (we were both widowers due to cancer), and had absolutely no clue where to start dating again. At our age, the bar scene isn't really an option (at least not for us). It is funny, we met and were married within 3 months and it is going to be 4 years in June! :happy:
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Match.com in 1998 and we've now been married for almost 12 years and have 2 kids. I signed up on a dare from a friend of mine. It was well worth it!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on online dating. We met on OKCupid.

I've also met 3 of my best friends on there. It's a nice way to window shop for partners.

OMG i met my husband on Okcupid too (See the above post)
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The other thread had me curious. Seems a lot of hokey stuff happening on online dating websites. I'm just wondering if anyone's had really GOOD experiences...? It's hard meeting people once you're "older" (haha) and not hanging out in bars or dance clubs, etc. I was thinking maybe some of those you pay a membership for would have filtered out some of the riff-raff just wanting hook-ups versus potential relationships.

SO anyone brave enough to SHARE!?
    :love: :flowerforyou: :happy:

I married my hubby from a free online site called plentyoffish.com
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Match.com and our five year anniversary is this year, and we were together 2 years before that
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my eHarmony Boyfriend! He's the most amazing man I've ever met. He's also the first man who COMPLETELY supports & understands ME no matter what!