SO who's had POSITIVE experiences with online dating sites?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online over 12 years ago and we've been married more than 10 years.

Sure I heard from a lot of weirdos (www.waytoopersonal.com) but the weirdos are pretty good about letting you know they're weird right off the bat, so the guys I actually met were fairly normal. :wink:
  • Gourmetcook4Jesus
    Options
    I met my husband through christiandatingforfree.com - married two and a half years now!
    -M. Lillian
  • Thebeezknees
    Options
    I joined match.com last summer, and was rather picky but it paid off. I went to Europe as a second date with the guy ( he was already going for a medical conference) and had the most wonderful experience. Before you go whoaaaaaa, I did my homework on this guy, googled him, read his publishings, ect, and made sure the medical conference was legit. I had a wonderful summer dating him.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Met 3 guys on match.com about a month after my divorce. All were pretty compatable with me but didn't all want long-term relationships. I married guy #3 (stopped using the site after we met).

We met July 2008
    We got engaged Feb 2009
    We were married October 2009
    We had our first child together in June 2010
    I'm still learning news things about him everyday and love him more each day. We are truly one soul.

:flowerforyou: :love:

EDIT: my brother met his girlfriend in 2008 on Plenty of fish? They're headed down the marriage trail, but she is finishing school first. He is 9 years younger than me.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    If getting herpes from it, then yes I gained something positive from my one experience....
  • polly_polly
    polly_polly Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your helpful replies, everyone. I have been considering this but always was too scared of the horror stories.
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    I used to mock it but out of all my friends, the ones who met online in one way or another have been much more successful than those who meet in a nightclub/bar or other social events, I met my first proper (serious) girlfriend online and we were together 2 years, Id prefer to meet someone in person but I dont see a problem with it myself, people can fake who they are just as easy in reality than behind a screen apart from appearance.
  • duckychic
    duckychic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used PlentyOfFish.com. I met a few guys that I wasn't interested in, but then I met my current boyfriend. We have been together for 3 1/2 years!
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My sister talked me into trying Eharmony 3 years after a nasty divorce, I reluctantly tried it with no high hopes, just to get my sister off my back. I chatted with one guy on line only. Then I went through the whole process and went on a date with a 2nd guy. That was August 2004. We were engaged by November of 2004 and married January 2005, yup that's right five months to meet, get engaged and then marry. Coming up on our 7 year anniversary and I couldn't be happier, he is the best guy and I couldn't have chosen better. After being married for a year and no communication at all from my ex husband he asked if he could adopt my daughter. All around awesome husband and father! Thanks to Eharmony. One note though I think I was on the site for at least a month before it "matched" me with anyone it thought compatible. Sometimes it takes awhile, in my case it was very much worth the wait.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I used various dating websites for about 8 years and then eventually met my husband in March 2009 - I was "on a break" from another guy at the time and we had a passionate fling. A month later I got back with the other guy. I eventually ditched him in May 2010 as he was a loser. My now-husband found out I was single on facebook and got back in touch. July 2010 he proposed, July 2011 we got married!!

Very positive experience!

One thing I would say is that the majority of guys I met online were very "needy" guys with mental issues lol. With the exception of my husband of course - he is the complete opposite.

We are extremely happy - he's the love of my life and my soulmate.:heart::heart: :heart: :love:

Good luck on your journey.
  • kikisnider
    Options
    This is almost exactly what happened to me on okcupid! lol
  • diddypants
    Options
    Plenty of Fish is pretty cool - I have met a few people on there in the past, and one of my best friends met his current girlfriend on there. They have been together a while now, and I suspect they may end up tying the knot. I've also met people via online dating sites that actually turned out to be good friends so all positive from my experience.
  • bgc85
    bgc85 Posts: 68
    Options
    Met my boyfriend on there (and several of my best guy friends). We've been together just over a year & live together. We have plans of getting married eventually, so he's definitely the love of my life :)

That being said....I had some horrible experiences with some massive jerks. My advice is: Don't use free sites. That's where all the "I just wanna get laid & play games" guy are. Most people who just want to get laid aren't going to pay $20 a month to do so, so you have a greater chance of meeting more serious daters on sites like eHarmony. I met my bf on a free site....wish I would've met him sooner lol

I agree with this poster! I met my boyfriend (we are almost at our one year mark) on Match.com. GOOD LUCK!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I met plenty of weirdos on eHarmony and was about to give up.
    Then I met my husband. We instantly became best friends and he proposed to me just two short months later. We've been together now for 2 1/2 years and we've been enjoying a wonderful marriage.
  • madyncaden
    madyncaden Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If getting herpes from it, then yes I gained something positive from my one experience....

you got herpes from sleeping with a mcnasty, NOT the online site.......make wiser choices! this is why sex is for marriage!!!
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on a dating site, before it turned into a payment-required site. He kept showing up as a 94% match, and I finally decided that if it was meant to be, he would contact me. The next day, I had an email from him. We spent a few months talking on the phone and online, and then I moved to his city to go back to university, and we met- we've been together 10.5 years now, married for 3.5 of them, and are happy as clams.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My sister talked me into trying Eharmony 3 years after a nasty divorce, I reluctantly tried it with no high hopes, just to get my sister off my back. I chatted with one guy on line only. Then I went through the whole process and went on a date with a 2nd guy. That was August 2004. We were engaged by November of 2004 and married January 2005, yup that's right five months to meet, get engaged and then marry. Coming up on our 7 year anniversary and I couldn't be happier, he is the best guy and I couldn't have chosen better. After being married for a year and no communication at all from my ex husband he asked if he could adopt my daughter. All around awesome husband and father! Thanks to Eharmony. One note though I think I was on the site for at least a month before it "matched" me with anyone it thought compatible. Sometimes it takes awhile, in my case it was very much worth the wait.

My story is very similar. Met in July 08, were married in Oct 09, had a daughter together in June 2010. My xhusband (which whom I had 2 older children) died this past Decemember and now my "all around awesome" husband wants to adopt them "in case" anything where to happen to me he'd have the legal right to keep our kids together.
  • cjfogh
    cjfogh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met on a website called hot or not.com and are coming up our 10th anniversary in May. Worked out well.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    You definitely have to be able to weeed out the creepos on dating sites. If you have a feeling other than positive when you're communicating with someone online then follow your instinct. Its usually right. Anyway, 3 years ago I met a guy from online (hotornot.com) whom I fell head over heels for. Needless to say we fell in love, but broke up after 2 years because he couldn't decide what he wanted anymore.

I'd say dating sites work, but you have to know what you want from a mate or it's kind of all over the place. My sister married a man she met online. So, there is success.
  • finding_my_way
    finding_my_way Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I met all of my stalkers at online dating sites...but seriously they can be a lot of fun if you go into it with a clear head knowing what you want (be realistic)