Why are some so desperate.........................

Options

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    People are always looking for the easy way out...of anything!
    There are so many get rich quick scams too...but basically with all things you have to work hard for what you want...whether it is to be rich or thin...
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Why are some people happy and others not? Why do we feel anything, desperation included? It varies.

Some people don't want to work. Some people want to work hard, but they want immediate results--any sort of result. Some people just can't face it. Some people are fully aware that they have conflicted goals within themselves (e.g. I want that ice cream, but I'm already over on calories today, and I also want to weigh less) and they just make a choice. Sometimes that choice is the result of depression. Sometimes it's a matter of just committing to the process, and sometimes people need more help than that.

We can't apply really hope to apply a rational frame of mind over top of a completely irrational problem and expect it to fix things.

All that's a longish way of saying that lots of people have issues going on in their lives that should be addressed along with their fitness/health goals, but those issues get overlooked.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    People aren't educated well enough to take care of themselves properly or to lose weight the right way. It doesn't help either that they are surrounded by convenience foods that are terrible for them. I really feel nutrition labels should be mandatory on ALL foods for this reason, including fast food products and things like that. At least that would leave out most of the guesswork for people...

This is what I say all the time. Along with the fact that places like Mcdonalds and Burger King advertise to children with toys, then the children begin their life with bad eating habits and of course their parents are buying it for them, so they have bad eating habits too. There should be more than nutrition labels, there should be warning signs on the outside of the restaurant "Overeating here may cause obesity, heart disease and/or diabetes."
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Can I say yes there is no quick fix plan that will get lean ripped abs in less then 3 minutes a day, or a pop of a pill and drop a dress size over night and in 8 short weeks have the body you have always wanted.....
    But can i just say something else.....i have been working out since june last year and do you know what! I have been stuck at 75 kilos since then....the only reason why i dropped to 73 kilos in 2 weeks was i lost my appatite....its not the best thing to do but hey if i didnt feel like eating i wasnt going to...its what stress did for me.....now can i tell u something, i am desperate to actually see results....i was doing MFP for 5 months, maintaining my calories, exercising 3 times a week and do you know how much i lost....? maybe 200grams if that! over the 5 months!
    So i decided id do it on the 1st! then i make excuses i didnt lose then why would i now?
    So then last week i decided again lets do it, so my plan is to burn my fat away....I ate 500 cals for brekfast/lunch and then went to the gym after work i did a half hour class of a core class and then body attack which was an hour and a half class....i then did my usual 30 min interval runs and 30 mins of weights of 3-11-18 kilo depending on weight section.
    I burnt 1280 calories in 2hours 30 mins....it is 2 days later and i AM FEELING LIKE **** i ache all over.....
    If i had a schedual that would tone me in every place possible that would get rid of some of my gut id be in heaven! Every time i get to a goal weight I am like oh i need to be less to be in better form....and do you know what since 2008 i have lost 23 kilos.....17 went in 6 months and the rest is clinging to me like lycra....I am far from lazy, i am hopeful, i am looking for something that would budge me from 75 kilos because nothing worked..... Its just so hard! I cut my portions, i eat food i wouldnt touch and i exercise and i cut down on my bad food and do you know where that gets me.....nowhere.....so I am using a ill kill every muscle in my body even if i have to walk like a nanna for 2 days after doing gym classes! Ill go hard and Ill go often! 6 days a week if i can!
    Im not looking for a quick fix, because im not stupid, it doesnt exist without lipo and surgery...and i cant even afford a personal trainer so there is no hope of that!
    I was stuck at 75 kilos for so long....the african diet pills....fail.....
    food.......fail
    exercise ........fail
    Obsession for feedback and what works.........DISTINCTION......
    Results...........fail
    We all need help, just some chose magic and bubbles of hope over reality!
    Some times we just need a boost!

You look great (face photos) to me already at 75 kg, do you really, really need to lose more?
    Maybe you are stuck at 75, because that should be your correct weight?
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Love this.... couldn't agree more ! :)
    to lose weight that they fall for scams? Let's clear this up here and now: THERE IS NO MAGIC PLAN. Weight loss SAFELY comes down to a few things

Calorie deficit
    Exercise to accelerate it and to help retain lean muscle (that means you have to strength train)
    Rest
    Good overall diet that ensures getting in all your daily essentials.

THAT'S IT!!!!! No pills, no gimmicks, no shakes, no cleanses, no HCG, no wrist bands, no infomercial gadgets..................

Follow above program and you will succeed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    True story here... I lost 30 pounds in 21 days once... eating TACO BELL once a day... and NOTHING ELSE I was young, naive, and in a hurry.

As you can imagine the story goes... in the years to come after that I gained the 30 pounds back plus 30 more!

This sort of "quick fix" mentality is highly prevalent in the military even today. You will still hear the chattering about... "you don't need to eat... you have plenty of "storage" there. Stuff of that nature... it's not as bad as it used to be, but it's still around.
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I didn't read the entire topic since it's so long and I'm on my iPod so pardon if I repeat what others have said.

I believe a lot of it is due to the "false fixes." These are the things, for example, like the pills that decrease your appetite so you lose weight minus for the fact your body goes into starvation mode and reverses it. Or things like pills that "instantly" slim you by taking off needed water weight. When these "miracles" happen, people credit diet pills. When it's undone, they blame themselves and just think they need more pills to fix it again.

The human body isn't perfect but it knows what it does and doesn't need. It wasn't created to require man-made diet pills.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Here is my story. I know that I will probably get blasted for this, but I dont really care. I KNOW the right way to do it. I lost 142 lbs the right way, over a course of 6 years. I went from 342 down to 200. And I got stuck. I changed the way I ate, I worked out differently. I worked with a trainer and a nutritionist for a year and had no change. I would go between 195 and 204. back and forth back and forth. Then, my doctor found out that I have an insulin resistance and told me that I may never be "normal sized". She put me on Metformin to treat the resistance. Then, I decided I would take phentermine to try and just start it back in motion. And it has worked. Not as quickly as it does for the people who dont eat on it, but still. The scale started to move down. I have taken it for a month and a half. I am still working with my nutritionist to learn the proper way to eat for someone with my condition. I am still working with a trainer, because if I pay for it, I wont skip it. I know that it isnt the right way to do it. I know that it isn't the answer. But it IS helping me learn the answer by curbing my mindless eating. My issue wasnt that I was eating too much, it was that I wasnt eating the right things. Things that I thought were healthy. And they would be if my body produced and used insulin the way it should. I am in the process of weaning off of the phentermine as it HAS helped me get past my stuck weight .

Deperation, self hatred, a desire to be "pretty" that is so clinically unbalanced that some people dont really care if they do die in the process. Those are the reasons most people turn to "quick fixes". The people who dont know any better and dont learn what is good and what isnt will gain all of the weight back. But, sometimes, just sometimes, it isnt ignorance........ it is a person who loathes themselves so much, that they will do ANYTHING just to feel what it feels like to be pretty, to not be shunned by society, to not feel like you walk into a room and everyone is laughing at you, to perhaps be able to look in the mirror and find SOME redeeming quality in yourself, to be able to go to any store and buy cute clothes, to not be sent to Lane Bryant by an associate working at Hollister (this HAS happened to me).

So, instead of being so quick to judge and berate, try to put yourself in the shoes of some of these people. Try to understand what it must feel like in their head. To know that most of us that are that desperate are also somewhat mentally unbalanced and are not just stupid. Fear and pain sometimes make people do things that are not what is ideal.
  • helenahh
    Options
    My dad says the same thing, but it is so tempting to get wheigth loss shakes... Just see if they work... Haha
    But you are right :)
  • Hoosier_born
    Options
    Op, I'm doing the journey, slwoly but surely, since November. I've tried the shakes, which work for a time, but complete boredom sets in.

I'm dong a program here, called Lite N eas, the food gets delivered here. I do 5 x days per week, and two days per week, I go it twice per week with healthy cooking tips from online, and stick to my calorie intake.

Is this a bad idea? I am learning about food choices, portion control, and giving myself the chance to go at it on my own. I think this is acceptable.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Can I say yes there is no quick fix plan that will get lean ripped abs in less then 3 minutes a day, or a pop of a pill and drop a dress size over night and in 8 short weeks have the body you have always wanted.....
    But can i just say something else.....i have been working out since june last year and do you know what! I have been stuck at 75 kilos since then....the only reason why i dropped to 73 kilos in 2 weeks was i lost my appatite....its not the best thing to do but hey if i didnt feel like eating i wasnt going to...its what stress did for me.....now can i tell u something, i am desperate to actually see results....i was doing MFP for 5 months, maintaining my calories, exercising 3 times a week and do you know how much i lost....? maybe 200grams if that! over the 5 months!
    So i decided id do it on the 1st! then i make excuses i didnt lose then why would i now?
    So then last week i decided again lets do it, so my plan is to burn my fat away....I ate 500 cals for brekfast/lunch and then went to the gym after work i did a half hour class of a core class and then body attack which was an hour and a half class....i then did my usual 30 min interval runs and 30 mins of weights of 3-11-18 kilo depending on weight section.
    I burnt 1280 calories in 2hours 30 mins....it is 2 days later and i AM FEELING LIKE **** i ache all over.....
    If i had a schedual that would tone me in every place possible that would get rid of some of my gut id be in heaven! Every time i get to a goal weight I am like oh i need to be less to be in better form....and do you know what since 2008 i have lost 23 kilos.....17 went in 6 months and the rest is clinging to me like lycra....I am far from lazy, i am hopeful, i am looking for something that would budge me from 75 kilos because nothing worked..... Its just so hard! I cut my portions, i eat food i wouldnt touch and i exercise and i cut down on my bad food and do you know where that gets me.....nowhere.....so I am using a ill kill every muscle in my body even if i have to walk like a nanna for 2 days after doing gym classes! Ill go hard and Ill go often! 6 days a week if i can!
    Im not looking for a quick fix, because im not stupid, it doesnt exist without lipo and surgery...and i cant even afford a personal trainer so there is no hope of that!
    I was stuck at 75 kilos for so long....the african diet pills....fail.....
    food.......fail
    exercise ........fail
    Obsession for feedback and what works.........DISTINCTION......
    Results...........fail
    We all need help, just some chose magic and bubbles of hope over reality!
    Some times we just need a boost!

You look great (face photos) to me already at 75 kg, do you really, really need to lose more?
    Maybe you are stuck at 75, because that should be your correct weight?
    unfortunantly i do need to lose another 5 to be in the healthy weight range :( even then who's to say ill be happy dropping 5....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The funny thing for me is that weight loss became sooooo much easier when I stopped trying so hard.

No need for pills, no need for starving, no need to kill yourself at the gym. Just eat a little less than you were eating before, and move a little more than you were moving before. It didn't take extreme measures to gain weight, and (for most people) it doesn't take extreme measures to lose it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Here is my story. I know that I will probably get blasted for this, but I dont really care. I KNOW the right way to do it. I lost 142 lbs the right way, over a course of 6 years. I went from 342 down to 200. And I got stuck. I changed the way I ate, I worked out differently. I worked with a trainer and a nutritionist for a year and had no change. I would go between 195 and 204. back and forth back and forth. Then, my doctor found out that I have an insulin resistance and told me that I may never be "normal sized". She put me on Metformin to treat the resistance. Then, I decided I would take phentermine to try and just start it back in motion. And it has worked. Not as quickly as it does for the people who dont eat on it, but still. The scale started to move down. I have taken it for a month and a half. I am still working with my nutritionist to learn the proper way to eat for someone with my condition. I am still working with a trainer, because if I pay for it, I wont skip it. I know that it isnt the right way to do it. I know that it isn't the answer. But it IS helping me learn the answer by curbing my mindless eating. My issue wasnt that I was eating too much, it was that I wasnt eating the right things. Things that I thought were healthy. And they would be if my body produced and used insulin the way it should. I am in the process of weaning off of the phentermine as it HAS helped me get past my stuck weight .

Deperation, self hatred, a desire to be "pretty" that is so clinically unbalanced that some people dont really care if they do die in the process. Those are the reasons most people turn to "quick fixes". The people who dont know any better and dont learn what is good and what isnt will gain all of the weight back. But, sometimes, just sometimes, it isnt ignorance........ it is a person who loathes themselves so much, that they will do ANYTHING just to feel what it feels like to be pretty, to not be shunned by society, to not feel like you walk into a room and everyone is laughing at you, to perhaps be able to look in the mirror and find SOME redeeming quality in yourself, to be able to go to any store and buy cute clothes, to not be sent to Lane Bryant by an associate working at Hollister (this HAS happened to me).

So, instead of being so quick to judge and berate, try to put yourself in the shoes of some of these people. Try to understand what it must feel like in their head. To know that most of us that are that desperate are also somewhat mentally unbalanced and are not just stupid. Fear and pain sometimes make people do things that are not what is ideal.
    There is a difference for people with "conditions" compared to the average person trying to lose weight. You had a condition which warranted taking something other than just using diet and exercise.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    The funny thing for me is that weight loss became sooooo much easier when I stopped trying so hard.

No need for pills, no need for starving, no need to kill yourself at the gym. Just eat a little less than you were eating before, and move a little more than you were moving before. It didn't take extreme measures to gain weight, and (for most people) it doesn't take extreme measures to lose it.
    THIS. Once people pass a "barrier" it becomes much easier.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I never understood, but I do now. My weight has gone up and down the same five pounds since the beginning of July. My clothes keep getting tighter. I've tried eating less, more, changed my workout routine, added more protein, cut carbs. You name it, I've done it and NOTHING. So, a "magic" pill or whatever sounds pretty good to me.

And, yes, had a physical and all is perfect.

Diet and exercise have failed me. Now what?
    BULL!
    You failed and are looking for an excuse. The sad truth is many enablers will line of to affirm you in this absurd notion.
    Poor me:sad:
    I am different....
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Unless you have been at the weight I am at now, and have felt that desperation to lose weight to not only look better, but to feel better, don't be so quick to judge. I am always weary of the crap that says it can melt away the pounds, but until you have walked a mile in my shoes, don't judge.

And I use Herbalife because it is a good source of protein which I need for the diet I am supposed to follow with my lap-band. It doesn't guarantee anything other than boosting your protein calories.
    I take protein supplements - no big deal.
    And I have walked in your shoes, so I do know.
    I feel that pain still even though I reach my goals and have set new ones.
    It never goes away, and I use that pain to motivate me to KEEP PUNCHING!

So can you - just keep doing the next right thing day after day - stay motivated.
    You can do this!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

1000% yes!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

THIS. Once people pass a "barrier" it becomes much easier.

IDEA Fitness member
    If that worked for everyone, I would have been at goal months ago instead right back (as of this morning) EXACTLY where I started.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I never understood, but I do now. My weight has gone up and down the same five pounds since the beginning of July. My clothes keep getting tighter. I've tried eating less, more, changed my workout routine, added more protein, cut carbs. You name it, I've done it and NOTHING. So, a "magic" pill or whatever sounds pretty good to me.

And, yes, had a physical and all is perfect.

Diet and exercise have failed me. Now what?
    BULL!
    You failed and are looking for an excuse. The sad truth is many enablers will line of to affirm you in this absurd notion.
    Poor me:sad:
    I am different....

Really? I burn an average of 500 calories or more per day through exercise. I do cardio and weight training. I eat whole, healthy foods and more than the recommendee fruits a veggies. I rarely eat junk. I eat on average 1,500 calories or less per day. Yet I CANNOT LOSE WEIGHT. So, please, Mr. I'm Perfect and Have All the Answers, what am I doing wrong?

I'm just glad I have people in my life who love me despite my imperfections.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    They are uneducated on weight loss, health, fitness; therefore, don't know any better. Many people believe the stuff they see on TV. Were all about "quick & easy" now, including weight loss. Some people are just desperate to lose the weight & will try anything. No need to judge those people by creating a thread...All we can do is educated them & hope for the best.