Worst negative comment about your weight?

Options

Replies

• Hoosier_born
    Options
    When I was in high school I was 154 pounds or 70kg, what I would kill to be like that NOW.
    Right now, I'm 118.6 kg.
    At my highest ever, I was about 128 I believe. I'm 31 and have had a love hate r/ship with scales. But, I'm getting better at losing weight every time, so for MFP has been good. I've been on it since November. Had some breaks, but tend to come back.

Anyway, that's my background, I find some of these comments so hard to read, and it makes me want to give a giant hug to you all.

When I was 18, I had the,'You have such a beautiful face, lose some weight." I think I weighed 180 pounds. Gee thanks stranger in the department store.
    I've had the cat calls, the beeps, and we all know what all that is about. When I was doing Cto5k, it was in the dark.
    But the comment that got me the most was when I was 21, going to a club, looked nice etc, wasn't exactly huge, and two random strangers at the stoplight yelled out at me,"Youse need to get on Jenny Craig man." I think he said something after that, but it stuck with me for years.
    I have empathy for anyone bigger than me, smaller than me, and would never treat them like this, and I encourage my children to do treat everyone equally.

ETA I'm married now, and I no longer have the self-consciousness I did of youth. I do if I go out to a club or pub, I feel like the oddball, so I tend to avoid those places. I go the beach because I LOVE it, it's my place to work out, to be free, to enjoy being weightless. I went to the beach today and had no problems. It's the first time I decided to go to the public beach right near our house. Usually, I would go to beaches a few km's away in rocky areas, but the beach near my house is awesome, plus it's close to home.

Here's the beach:
    http://beachwiki.org/gallery/d/1016-2/Frankston-Beach-Melbourne.jpg

The beach that I used to go to was next to a nudist colony, so *cough* not many people would go there.
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school one of my mom's friends photoshopped a picture of me of what I would look like if I was skinny and my mom use to keep it in my room for "motivation." So insulting!!!
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to sound rude but please ignore your husband. Sexy like all those other girls!? He fell in love with you for you, not the way you look. My ex boyfriend said he loved me at any weight, I have been my lowest weight with him but also my heighest(I'm recovering from anorexia), and whilst I didn't believe him because I felt depressed about recovery, he always tried to prove it as best he could. He said he fell in love with me because I was me, my kind heart, the fact I knew how to make laugh, he said the other night he believes we're soul mates and he still loves me, I believe he's the one. My point is everyone is beautiful, your husband should be with you for more than your looks. My ex boyfriend has alot of issues to deal with himself, he has treacher collins syndrome, his face is disfigured and I was a really shallow person before I met him, but everything changed. I don't care about how he looks on the outside, I love him for it. I can barely fit into a zero now, I cry everyday because I'm tired, recovery is hard too hard most of the time, so if your husband is saying things like that then he honestly has no idea. Why would he want you to be grossly skinny if you'd be miserable the whole time. I want to get to at least a ten, I want a body that is able to fully function. The fact that your husband said that is just beyond me, it makes me angry and upset. He should love you regardless. Sorry if I have upset you.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Never got any negative comments when I was at my biggest but I wasn't aware of how different I was treated until I lost my weight. People talk to me more now and smile more.

I do get comments now even though I'm no where near thin (still have 30 lbs to go to get to a healthy range) about "why don't you eat a cheeseburger" or, "you're not going to lose anymore are you?"
  • TomsFZ1
    TomsFZ1 Posts: 12
    Options
    After telling someone that I wanted to lose some weight and start working out:

"Oh, you don't look THAT bad..."

Gee, thanks. :ohwell:
  • boe2004
    boe2004 Posts: 21
    Options
    11 weeks after i had my 3rd daughter a stranger in a nursery shop comented "not long now eh, when is your due date?".

i pointed to my new baby who was sleeping soundly in her car seat at my feet! It made me feel really hurt. But i didnt make it easy for her by giggling and fobbing it off, i just looked at her while she squirmed embarressingly.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    When my hub and I were goin through a really BAD patch we went to a party and he said why I can't be sexy like all those girls at the party :0(. Then he said another time why can't I be a sexy SIZE ZERO like all other real woman are out there in the world and says my boobs are way too big and should only be small as apricots or less than a handful and said to have them removed by a surgeon >:0( I didn't realise you not a real woman ynless your a size zero
    Don't mean to sound rude but please ignore your husband. Sexy like all those other girls!? He fell in love with you for you, not the way you look. My ex boyfriend said he loved me at any weight, I have been my lowest weight with him but also my heighest(I'm recovering from anorexia), and whilst I didn't believe him because I felt depressed about recovery, he always tried to prove it as best he could. He said he fell in love with me because I was me, my kind heart, the fact I knew how to make laugh, he said the other night he believes we're soul mates and he still loves me, I believe he's the one. My point is everyone is beautiful, your husband should be with you for more than your looks. My ex boyfriend has alot of issues to deal with himself, he has treacher collins syndrome, his face is disfigured and I was a really shallow person before I met him, but everything changed. I don't care about how he looks on the outside, I love him for it. I can barely fit into a zero now, I cry everyday because I'm tired, recovery is hard too hard most of the time, so if your husband is saying things like that then he honestly has no idea. Why would he want you to be grossly skinny if you'd be miserable the whole time. I want to get to at least a ten, I want a body that is able to fully function. The fact that your husband said that is just beyond me, it makes me angry and upset. He should love you regardless. Sorry if I have upset you.
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe how many of these nasty comments are coming from people who are supposed to love you unconditionally! My gran is a bit like that but she lives 200 miles away and is easy to avoid. So easy in fact, that I haven't seen her for about 20 years!

When I was a kid I was a bit of a bookworm while my sis was a skinny, sporty child. My dad used to say things like 'If you played outside more like your sister you wouldn't be as chubby', but at the same time he was saying to her 'no wonder you're thick, why don't you read a book occasionally like Dawn does?' I'm sure he thought he was being encouraging but it felt like he was playing us off against one another and as we shared a room we fought constantly. We're friends now but I regret all the years that we hated each other.

Looking back at childhood photos I was a chunky kid but not massively obese. I wish I could travel back in time to meet the 10 year old child I used to be. I'd tell her that she is nowhere near as fat as she thinks and show her what the result would be if she carried on eating too much after puberty. And I'd also tell her that spending the late 80s/early 90s with a poodle perm wasn't going to be a good idea. :bigsmile:
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    Ex boyfriends. One refused to tell his parents, his brother, or any of his friends that we were dating, was never seen in public with me, never once complimented me on anything, and the last month of our relationship he didn't speak to me at all.

The other told me after we started dating that he was a chubby chaser. But constantly bugged me to lose weight and clear up my acne. This is coming from a dude who ate 4 fudge rounds and bags of chips for lunch!

So I've been left with severe self-esteem issues. My current boyfriend isn't doing much better than the first one I mentioned and I'm trying to think of a way to end it with the least amount of hurt. I know it's not necessarily a healthy goal, but I want to look better so this ^ stops happening.
  • jpmill79
    jpmill79 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    o sweety! i agree, this is the worst! Hello PEOPLE!, my baby is like 2 months old.............IM NOT PREGNANT!
  • Noorkitty
    Options
    I think I can beat most of these insults.....

On my Wedding day, yes my wedding day!!!! My future mother-in-lam said as I came down the stairs in my wedding dress ....

"Here comes the bride 40 foot wide" My whole day was ruined... I said nothing to my husband at the time as I did not want to ruin his day aswell, i did tell him afterwards and his reply " ah don't mind her, she did'nt mean it"

Oh my god, whhaatttt ? What a b*****. I can not believe it. And your hubby's response. typical 'son' response. But seriously she is mean and meant to hurt you. Grrrr
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have three sisters that are model thin. Two of them are actually models. One of them is nice and supports my weight loss but the other is cruel. She likes to say things like "you should buy bigger pants cause your such a fat *kitten*" or "look at the elephant (or whale)." She has also told me that I should go walk and continue walking until I get rid of all the blubber under my skin. These are only some of the recent things she has said to me. Just this morning I was talking to my mom about taking a pregnancy test due to the advice of my Planned Parenthood doctor, she said she would kick me again and make sure I couldn't keep the baby if I was pregnant. Turns out I am not, which happened to be ok with me. My mother says things like, you are lovely but you would be even more beautiful if you just lost weight. Or my mother telling me that men will be more attracted to me once I stop eating so much and lose enough weight to have a waist. She also *****es at me that I got large breasts when she did not. Another time, someone I thought was my friend caused my breakup with my boyfriend and then told me that I would never keep a guy because I was just some dumb fat *****.

That's horrible. I'm so sorry. :( Shove those words down their throats.
  • buckystars
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe how many of these nasty comments are coming from people who are supposed to love you unconditionally!

I know! Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, husbands and friends...these are supposed to be people who love you and wouldn't want to hurt you. It amazes me how mean spirited some of these people are.

I thought what was said about me was awful but now I realize how tame it really was compared to everyone else's comments. Time to make these people eat their words.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This thread proves that there are a lot of turdmonkies out there, and none of them have commented in this thread.

Each of us has value as a human being whether we are overweight, obese, thin, fit, or flabby. Leave the people who think otherwise out of your life (even if you are related to them). They aren't worth your time. Embrace and appreciate the ones who do value you just the way you are and focus on them.
  • buckystars
    Options
    I was always slim my life. I had been away from home for and although I saw my immediate family, I did not see my extended family. My Dad passed away and I went home for his funeral.
    The first thing everyone said to me in the Funeral Parlor was "Oh My God, You go so FAT!!" "Oh yea, I am sorry about your Dad."

To me, that was the worse.

Marcy

Yeah, the "you're the thin one" was made at my father's funeral as well. What the hell possess people to act like that?
  • jmp33
    jmp33 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have ways been heavier and went through the typical school teasing. Name calling, walking behind me pretending to be a sumo wrestler... But the worst was my mother in law. At a family supper my daughter didnt finish her dessert so I started to eat it and mother dear says no wonder you can't lose anything if you clean up everyone's plates! I was never so embarrassed! Now she makes comments to my daughter who is 11. We limit visits with grandma now!
  • loobie1805
    Options
    Worst negative comments about my weight have to come from one of my nieces....She is the eldest daughter of my youngest sister...i should tell you that my sister is a personal trainer and prior to doing that she taught, ballet, jazz, modern and tap for many years having started dancing at the age of 9......You can imagine what her body is like (yes I am insanely jealous, but only of her body, not of her and her life)..

Anyway my neice, who I love very much, and who is only 10, is very find of saying to me "Auntie Lou, why are you so fat? Mummy isn't fat like you are!"
    Coming from my niece it is quite hurtful, because you only expect positive criticism from your family - but then she is only 10 and she was about 7 when she started saying it.............Funny thing is - she isn't s string bean herself...lol

i shouldn't be so touchy I guess

Lou :-)

i will be thin....
  • forgetmenot5683
    forgetmenot5683 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Last year after cross country season I stopped running but was still eating the same. After I lost the weight my guy friend told me he wanted to ask me to come work out with him because he noticed I was getting fat... lol
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You WERE so beautiful...
  • forgetmenot5683
    forgetmenot5683 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Those guys don't deserve you at all. I have self esteem issues too and used to let guys use me often. Now I am trying to stay away from relationships for a while and trying to bring my self esteem up first. I suggest you do the same, the right guy will come along. No one can fully love or appreciate you until you love and appreciate yourself.